Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Holidays 2019

Comments

• Options
    Not a holiday as such but going to York at the weekend with another couple any pub or restaurant recommendations 

cheers 
    Wetherspoons.
  • Options
    Not a holiday as such but going to York at the weekend with another couple any pub or restaurant recommendations 

cheers 
    Not a pub but you can go to Roly's Fudge Pantry, take a free sample then not buy any.

That'll teach em for associating themselves with the Belgian git. 
  • Options
    If anyone finds themselves in Poprad, Slovakia with a couple of hours to spare I can recommend this place:

https://minipivovartatras.sk/#!/spa

it was certainly a unique experience.
  • Options
    Always think those things seem a waste of beer! 
  • Options
    I think old age is creeping in as we have booked a Warner Leisure festive break at Sinah Warren in Hayling Island. 2 nights half board with an Abba tribute on noght one and a Queen tribute on night two.
  • Options
    Go out on night one mate. Night two sounds good. 
  • Options
    Looking to go to Thailand early in the New Year. Fly into Bangkok for a couple of days and then head off and see the islands. We were looking at seeing Chang Mai, Crabbe, etc.

Has anyone done this and if so any tips? 
    It is a great time to go; hot but not too hot. We spent a few days either end ot the trip in Bangkok, party to ease flight connections and went to Bophut in Ko Samui inbetween. Plenty of others on here much better placed to give advice. Dustin Hoffman has place there, but I only found out after asking him what the dish was he was having for dinner and if it was nice and my other looking at me oddly (even moreso than normal) as bizarely I hadn't realised it was him as focussed on his food!

Other tips: beware of going upstairs in a 'pingpong' bar! and being 'befriended' by anyone being persistent in offering you a service even if you are walking with your partner! Not knowing which toliet you should go in is often not a problem as one covers all variations
    Thanks PF, I will make a note of your comments however we have had a change of plans. We have been asked by some friends to join them on a holiday to Canada next June and we have agreed so we will probably put Thailand on the back burner until the following year as we have other plans as well as Canada for 2020. 
  • Options
    We had a great time in Venice in January and booked it for a few days before Christmas this year. A bit of a worry with the flooding!
  • Options

cheers 
    Cote 
  • Options
    Just returned from a tour around Israel. Tel Aviv is a welcoming city with good beaches and the rest is full of interest even the biblical stuff (I’m an atheist). Highlights for me were Masada, Caesarea Jerusalem and the Golan Heights. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Going on Caribbean cruise
    Stopping at 
    Barbados, st lucia, antigua and st kitts.
    Has anyone on here ever gone off and done there own thing rather than the cruise liner excursions.
    Cheers 
  • Options
    clb74 said:
    Stopping at 
    Has anyone on here ever gone off and done there own thing rather than the cruise liner excursions.
    Cheers 
    In Barbados, I went down in a submarine, whilst my wife swam with turtles; both recommended. 

In Antigua, we went to a long and arched beach where I watched the local fishermen bringing in their local catch via a long drift net; sorry, cant remember the name of the beach. 

• Options
    Peter, what on earth do you do for a living mate to afford all this travel?! 
  • Options
    He's a drug dealer 
  • Options
    Early investor in Melexis. 
  • Options
    Retired, Neil
  • Options
    PeterGage said:
    clb74 said:
    Stopping at 
    Cheers 
    In Barbados, I went down in a submarine, whilst my wife swam with turtles; both recommended. 

In Antigua, we went to a long and arched beach where I watched the local fishermen bringing in their local catch via a long drift net; sorry, cant remember the name of the beach. 

Cheers pete
  • Options
    clb74 said:
    Stopping at 
    Cheers 
    I did, and got mugged.
  • Options
    clb74 said:
    Stopping at 
    Cheers 
    If you are with Tui, I have done this cruise and very rarely use organised trips as I want to go where I want. I have never had any problems. Enjoy
  • Options
    ross1 said:
    clb74 said:
    Stopping at 
    Cheers 
    If you are with Tui, I have done this cruise and very rarely use organised trips as I want to go where I want. I have never had any problems. Enjoy
    Hi Ross its a p and o cruise.
    Did you pre book your own trips or wait till you got there.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Vienna in 2 weeks time for 3 days. Cant wait. Heard many great things about it.
  • Options
    clb74 said:
    PeterGage said:
    clb74 said:
    Stopping at 
    Cheers 

Cheers pete
    Forgot to mention that in Antigua, my wife and I interacted with stingray in the sea. In water up to your waist you could swim, paddle of snorkel with the stingray and feed them. They are relatively small, the biggest being about a large dinner plate size.
  • Options
    Going to Cape Verde next Wednesday for 8 days, cannot wait for some winter sun! Anyone that has been is the quad-biking worth doing?
  • Options
    Going to Cape Verde next Wednesday for 8 days, cannot wait for some winter sun! Anyone that has been is the quad-biking worth doing?
    What Island you going too? 

I went to Sal and the quad biking looked good (was with an ex who was very boring so didnt try!) 

Really enjoy it there though, proper relaxing and you can walk into the town...locals try get you in the shops but a firm no sorts that out.

Can also go out in the town in the evening. Enjoy!
  • Options
    Anyone been to Rovaniemi/Lapland?

Not for this year, but considering it in the next couple of years while the kids are young enough to believe in Santa but old enough to put up with the cold etc.

Seems very expensive to book a package whereas flights and an Airbnb actually seem OK in November time but I'm interested how much the husky/reindeer rides etc are out there is you do book yourself.  Food/drink too. 
  • Options

Not for this year, but considering it in the next couple of years while the kids are young enough to believe in Santa but old enough to put up with the cold etc.

Seems very expensive to book a package whereas flights and an Airbnb actually seem OK in November time but I'm interested how much the husky/reindeer rides etc are out there is you do book yourself.  Food/drink too. 

Dont DIY it! If you want to do it properly get it packaged up with experts. Inghams is a good start in terms of reputation, and their activities are reasonably priced (others are available -  Also look at Transun). Rovaniemi is probably trumped by some of the smaller resorts further north - Have a look at Levi and Yllas for a bit more of an authentic experience...

ps the reason I say don't DIY is that you are going to a cold place. The risk of flights being delayed inbound or outbound are probably higher than normal - worse case you are paying for accomodation and activities that you cant get to (or leave) - book a package and you get your holiday or get your money back - I personally wouldn't put a once in a lifetime holiday at risk for what ultimately might be a relatively small saving...

• Options
    PeterGage said:
    clb74 said:
    Stopping at 
    Cheers 

24 hours later and still no Mehmet. Standards are slipping.
  • Options

I went to Enontekiö/Hetta with Transun several years ago. Great trip, would strongly recommend it. My family are grown up now, but I'd love to go back for the sledging, huskies, reindeer and snowmobiles. No need to sit an a room with an old man and dopey white beard any more though, I can do that on my own.
  • Options
    clb74 said:
    ross1 said:
    clb74 said:
    Stopping at 
    Cheers 
    Hi Ross its a p and o cruise.
    Did you pre book your own trips or wait till you got there.
    Wait until I got there for the couple I went on, the rest we just looked at what was happening in the place we were. For instance, when we went to Olympia, the fee on the boat was 59 euros each, we found a train in the port which took us to Olympia for 10 euros return each, when we got to the original Olympic area, it cost 12 euros, but as we are OAPs 6 euros. Total saving, 43 euros each.
  • Options
    What Island you going too? 

I went to Sal and the quad biking looked good (was with an ex who was very boring so didnt try!) 

Really enjoy it there though, proper relaxing and you can walk into the town...locals try get you in the shops but a firm no sorts that out.

Can also go out in the town in the evening. Enjoy!
    Going to Boa Vista, doesn't look like a great deal to do outside the hotel but that's pretty much ideal, I can't remember the last time I had a do nothing holiday, normally come back from holiday more tired than i started!
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!