Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Holidays 2019

Comments

• edited December 2019
  • RedPanda said:

This is in the very early stages of planning – where in conjunction with Sydney would make a worthwhile 10 days in Oz? Somewhere more rural but with good public transport would be ideal, so I guess north or south along the coast? I’d like to fit in Tasmania and/or Melbourne but I think making the most of NSW would be the best use of our short time. Thanks.

If it's Melbourne or Tasmania, stick with Melbourne mate. You will then experience the best of both worlds, Sydney being wild and vibrant to the mellow and laid back Melbourne.
  • edited December 2019
    Long shot, but does anyone have any recommendations for somewhere big enough for a family of 4 in the New Forest that would be cheap for a weekend in August?

Want to stop off for a couple of days in the way back from Devon, but even the Travelodges etc are expensive as it's a weekend and the kid's holidays, and I really don't want to pay £250+ when we'll only use it to sleep and shower before going out, walking round the Forest etc. 

Cheers. 
  • Long shot, but does anyone have any recommendations for somewhere big enough for a family of 4 in the New Forest that would be cheap for a weekend in August?

Want to stop off for a couple of days in the way back from Devon, but even the Travelodges etc are expensive as it's a weekend and the kid's holidays, and I really don't want to pay £250+ when we'll only use it to sleep and shower before going out, walking round the Forest etc. 

Cheers. 
    Not for 2019
  • Would have felt a bit a self indulgent to start a new thread for it though! 
  • Leaving first thing tomorrow to stay in Arras over the weekend for the Christmas market. Really can't wait.
    Just got back, fantastic weekend. Can highly recommend the market, good quality food and drink available plus a decent selection of gifts.

Only takes just over an hour from Calais. 
  • edited January 2020
    ross1 said:
    Just got back from Goa, really enjoyed it, but I was due back Tuesday morning, but the windscreen was damaged on the Dreamliner on the way to Goa and waited nearly 3 days to fix. Tui put us in a 5 star hotel, full board, so we had to slum it for three days, it is a tough world.  :)

Update on this holiday, we went with Tui, 1 week, all inclusive, cost less than £800 each, but because of the extra three days we were compensated with £510 each, so holiday for 10 nights in Goa cost less than £300. 
  • Long shot, but does anyone have any recommendations for somewhere big enough for a family of 4 in the New Forest that would be cheap for a weekend in August?

Cheers. 
    Try Sandyballs in the new forest,stayed there a few times when my kids were small,nice place👍

Cheers. 
    Try Sandyballs in the new forest,stayed there a few times when my kids were small,nice place👍
    It’s a lovely place but won’t be that cheap for a weekend in August.

Cheers. 
    Cheers for the thought mate.

Found a cottage on Airbnb in the end for £65 a night.
  • Sponsored links:

• Can’t find the 2020 thread (is there one?)

how is Coronavirus gonna affect your plans ?

Are package holiday prices gonna fall drastically as more people stay at home or regions put in quarantine,  or will prices soar to make up for fewer people travelling. 
  • MrOneLung said:
    Can’t find the 2020 thread (is there one?)

Are package holiday prices gonna fall drastically as more people stay at home or regions put in quarantine,  or will prices soar to make up for fewer people travelling. 
    Complete unknown at the moment.
  • I think the airlines will drastically cut seat numbers which will keep their prices around the same but the hotels may have to slash their prices to fill their beds as they obviously can’t change the number of rooms they have. 
  • MrOneLung said:
    Can’t find the 2020 thread (is there one?)

as above, a bit of an unknown.

On the assumption that the whole of the world doesn't shut down and go into quarantine, the number of beds in hotels won't change dramatically. With a likely reduction in demand, these prices will drop, so accommodation will be cheaper (supply and demand doesn't allow the price to go up to recover lost sales..)

The available airlift to get you on holiday may change as airlines either fail or lie up aircraft (after which they will fail..). Therefore air costs may go up as demand and capacity would be better aligned than it is today.

If you are comfortable doing so, my advice would be to book now. Prices are very good as holiday companies look to create demand. Buy a fully protected package so that if any one element of the holiday cant be delivered you are covered for the whole lot. Take travel insurance out as soon as you book so that if you cant travel for any reason (illness...) you are covered as well.

There are few things better in life than planning and having a holiday. Have fun doing both....
  • Our holiday is in the process of a major reorganisation by the American cruise company we travel with (for the last 7 years) and to be fair I’m very impressed. It’s a fluid situation at the moment but our original plan (all paid for in early January) was in early / mid May involves a pre cruise trip on the orient express from London to Venice then a 9 day cruise around Italy. At the moment it looks like the orient express portion will be refunded or replaced with a partial refund with a few nights in Athens, the cruise ship is being diverted away from Italy to Greece and Turkey, so our 9 day Venice to Rome cruise is now Athens to Athens. Flights are being rearranged by the cruise line as we speak, and as the cruise company has made major changes to our itinerary they thought it would be a good idea to us a 25% refund on this year cruise portion of our holiday, mind you this is a credit against a future cruise. We should find out on Tuesday our new flight details and what’s happening re the orient express.

They also made a major concession on there cancellation policy, which is now we can cancel up to 48 hours prior to our departure with a full 100% future cruise credit. I would hate to think how much organisation it take to divert a ship with all the supplies, crew and 750 passengers, air travel, etc but they must be working every hour of the day and night. Our travel agent also has been fantastic keeping me informed. We are so impressed that we are booking another cruise with them next year, thar of course assumes we survive this one 😀.
  • Our holiday is in the process of a major reorganisation by the American cruise company we travel with (for the last 7 years) and to be fair I’m very impressed. It’s a fluid situation at the moment but our original plan (all paid for in early January) was in early / mid May involves a pre cruise trip on the orient express from London to Venice then a 9 day cruise around Italy. At the moment it looks like the orient express portion will be refunded or replaced with a partial refund with a few nights in Athens, the cruise ship is being diverted away from Italy to Greece and Turkey, so our 9 day Venice to Rome cruise is now Athens to Athens. Flights are being rearranged by the cruise line as we speak, and as the cruise company has made major changes to our itinerary they thought it would be a good idea to us a 25% refund on this year cruise portion of our holiday, mind you this is a credit against a future cruise. We should find out on Tuesday our new flight details and what’s happening re the orient express.

They also made a major concession on there cancellation policy, which is now we can cancel up to 48 hours prior to our departure with a full 100% future cruise credit. I would hate to think how much organisation it take to divert a ship with all the supplies, crew and 750 passengers, air travel, etc but they must be working every hour of the day and night. Our travel agent also has been fantastic keeping me informed. We are so impressed that we are booking another cruise with them next year, thar of course assumes we survive this one 😀.
    Good for them. 
  • Hi guys. As mentioned on other holiday threads, my wife and I travel extensively. I have been to 91 differerent countries/islands around the world and we are off to The Maldives in August for our 6th visit there.

However I need some advice/holiday experience on a different island, namely Koh Rong, Cambodia. This is viewed as an upcoming new "paradise" and at the moment it is (relatively) " cheap as chips".

Anybody been there? Any experiences? I have viewed it on You Tube, but would like experiences from people on here. Thanks

• PeterGage said:
    Hi guys. As mentioned on other holiday threads, my wife and I travel extensively. I have been to 91 differerent countries/islands around the world and we are off to The Maldives in August for our 6th visit there.

However I need some advice/holiday experience on a different island, namely Koh Rong, Cambodia. This is viewed as an upcoming new "paradise" and at the moment it is (relatively) " cheap as chips".

Anybody been there? Any experiences? I have viewed it on You Tube, but would like experiences from people on here. Thanks

Are Canvey and Sheppey in the islands list?
  • Sponsored links:

• PeterGage said:
    Hi guys. As mentioned on other holiday threads, my wife and I travel extensively. I have been to 91 differerent countries/islands around the world and we are off to The Maldives in August for our 6th visit there.

Are Canvey and Sheppey in the islands list?
    Neither, and I lived on Canvey for 10 years !
  • Normally have got a couple of holidays booked by now to look forward to keep myself  cheerfull during a bleak and depressing Jan and Feb but only a week carp fishing in France so far
  • Same here (apart from the fishing) but funnily enough hadn’t yet booked anything for this year. Will have to see how it all pans out
  • Think will be looking for bargain cheapies as same holiday as we went on last year is a extra 40% more?? So as I'm stubborn as  I am  wont be paying it
    So open to some new pastures

• I hear Bognor’s nice in November
  • Boom said:
    I hear Bognor’s nice in November
    You absolutely heard wrong. 
  • PeterGage said:

Superb choice for beach break if in Cambodia. Although not sure about it being upcoming new paradise, it’s been backpackers choice for years and a lot of development has already happened. Best hotel on the main Koh Rong island is The Royal Sands. Depending on your budget, might want to take a look at the properties which have private islands nearby, such as Song Saa and the more recently opened Six Senses Krabey Island.
  • Boom said:
    I hear Bognor’s nice in November
    You absolutely heard wrong. 
    March?
  • Flights to Milan currently £20.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!