Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Holidays 2019

Comments

• Options
    No surprise that our flights to Jersey at Easter have been cancelled. Already paid through Expedia for our hotel and can’t get a refund. They’re useless, inflexible on refunds and have told us to contact the hotel. Luckily the hotel are offering free date changes so we’re looking to switch to October.
  • Options
    No surprise that our flights to Jersey at Easter have been cancelled. Already paid through Expedia for our hotel and can’t get a refund. They’re useless, inflexible on refunds and have told us to contact the hotel. Luckily the hotel are offering free date changes so we’re looking to switch to October.
    I would suspect Expedia have already passed your money on to the hotel.  They are only acting as an agent.

All the travel insurance I've had has never covered Jersey so I suspect you couldn't claim for the hotel from your policy.
  • Options
    clb74 said:
    JohnBoyUK said:
    My choice of Northern Japan and South Korea wasn't the best for some reason!

Outbound flight cancelled so I've scrapped the whole trip for now; fortunately all hotels were free cancellation and two of the three flights will refund. Waiting for the other to cancel so I can get my money back from them as well.

Still may go if things improve between now and the end of June. Dont have a Plan B at present.
    We're due to head to Japan in 13 days time.
    Still very much in no man's land as what to do.  Really need the FCO to say no travel or Japan to say no to visitors.
    Still really want to go and if it was just the wife and I, I think we'd still chance it...but with an 11 month old baby?  I have my doubts.
    Will be called off by then.
    I go on a cruise in a couple of weeks .
    Two cruise companies today have cancelled thier cruise.
    My company did email yesterday to say 400 quid behind the bar or can transfer to a latter date
    I believe the virus can't survive in a highly alcoholic environment so take the £400 and get pickled.
  • Options
    We're centre parcs for easter, unlikely now, although they are allowing transferring to a later date, 
  • Options
    Air BnB offering a full refund for any trips booked prior to 14 Mar for trips between 14 Mar and 14 Apr. Decent gesture and has just saved me £300 I thought I had lost.
  • Options
    Even though my family holiday isn't until late July I'm convinced that it will be cancelled. 
    I've got a feeling this is going to last a long time. 
  • Options
    FCO just updated advice to “against all non-essential travel worldwide”
  • Options
    fortunately for me with the euros meant to of been on didnt book much in summer. 

have return flights to murcia ( for a wedding ) 14th - 18th May  - 95% sure will be cancelled and wedding not go ahead. 
    return flights to nice 29th July - 3rd august - unsure what will happen. 
    boston and new york in december havent booked yet - and seems wise with virgin about to go under. 
  • Options
    stonemuse said:
    The cottage in Devon we booked for August seems a reasonably sound bet now, was sad I wasn't flying somewhere more exotic before all this.
    Will be a lot of demand for UK holidays this year. 
    Surely that depends upon what happens with the virus. 
    Yeah, i’m due to go to Scotland in april and i’ve recieved an email from LNER offering to move the dates or they will refund.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    stonemuse said:
    The cottage in Devon we booked for August seems a reasonably sound bet now, was sad I wasn't flying somewhere more exotic before all this.
    Sadly significantly lower than you would expect. Travel market data suggests there has been a material decline in domestic holiday searches over the last few weeks - not as material as overseas holidays, but critical nevertheless. I have friends working in domestic travel, and cancellations are high, new bookings are low. The over 70's isolation will be playing a part in this, but there is also a real lack of confidence in any type of holiday in any destination. There will be a lot less demand for UK holidays this year.
  • Options
    Hawaii officially in the bin, gutting for us but not a big deal in the grand scheme of things. I dread to think of the impact on the travel industry in a few weeks - for the arse to fall out of the industry in sales plus having to refund a huge amount of cash at the same time.

Interestingly there's a dumb rule that if you're Canadian travelling to the US it's fine, but if you're living in Canada and not Canadian you can't travel to the US... like, what's the difference from a virus-spreading point of view?
  • Options
    stonemuse said:
    Sadly significantly lower than you would expect. Travel market data suggests there has been a material decline in domestic holiday searches over the last few weeks - not as material as overseas holidays, but critical nevertheless. I have friends working in domestic travel, and cancellations are high, new bookings are low. The over 70's isolation will be playing a part in this, but there is also a real lack of confidence in any type of holiday in any destination. There will be a lot less demand for UK holidays this year.
    I don't see the point now they are advising to stay away from bars and restaurants. What would you do in the UK, sit in a hotel room or a self catering place cooking your own grub, may as well stay at home. We are due to go to Cornwall for a 4 night Spa break in two weeks but we will cancel it now and re-book when it is all clear.
  • Options
    stonemuse said:
    My Dad is due to go to Cornwall in a couple of weeks and was concerned. I said that it would be fine as he's driving his own car and renting a cottage. But he is worried that everything will be closed - restaurants etc. - so "what's the point of going?". A lot of people will be having the same thoughts. 
  • Options
    Wilma said:
    stonemuse said:
    My Dad is due to go to Cornwall in a couple of weeks and was concerned. I said that it would be fine as he's driving his own car and renting a cottage. But he is worried that everything will be closed - restaurants etc. - so "what's the point of going?". A lot of people will be having the same thoughts. 
    Snap, I have just posted re Cornwall above.  
  • Options
    We are away in the Lake District mid may, in a rented cottage. Appreciate that pubs and restaurants might be closed, but the hills should still be available for long dog walks, and worst case we buy decent ingredients from supermarkets and local retailers and cook good food ourselves. The take aways will still be going too, I'm sure. Surely similar in Cornwall. You might need to adapt, but go with a positive outlook and prepared to enjoy it whatever. Half the fun of a holiday is about being away from the humdrum for a little while anyway.

Incidentally, the landlady of my local pub, the fabulous Bull in Wargrave, is starting to do takeaways soon, clearly in anticipation of trading restrictions. The food is good in there, so being able to stroll 100 yards down the road and collect a decent dinner, possibly with a couple of pints besides, is a smart move on her part.

• Options
    IdleHans said:
    We are away in the Lake District mid may, in a rented cottage. Appreciate that pubs and restaurants might be closed, but the hills should still be available for long dog walks, and worst case we buy decent ingredients from supermarkets and local retailers and cook good food ourselves. The take aways will still be going too, I'm sure. Surely similar in Cornwall. You might need to adapt, but go with a positive outlook and prepared to enjoy it whatever. Half the fun of a holiday is about being away from the humdrum for a little while anyway.

Incidentally, the landlady of my local pub, the fabulous Bull in Wargrave, is starting to do takeaways soon, clearly in anticipation of trading restrictions. The food is good in there, so being able to stroll 100 yards down the road and collect a decent dinner, possibly with a couple of pints besides, is a smart move on her part.

"Wilderness" type holidays will be fine, indeed if the Lake District is quieter, in certain respects it will be better.

Going to a deserted seaside town would be less fun though, a rainy day with no shops, galleries or amusement arcades, no pubs or restaurants to sit and chat to the friendly/weirdo locals...
  • Options
    easyjet have extended there schedule to feb 21, for people with existing bookings looking to reschedule. 

i will likely wait a couple more weeks then reschedule my Spain flights til later in the year. 
  • Options
    Had a refund from British Airways for my Malaga holiday in April, so have booked up for Christmas in Gran Canary using Easy Jet, £60 return excluding seats and baggage, some good deals there at the moment.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited March 2020
    Got a week in Cyprus mid June which I’m sure will be cancelled. Staying with friends so not a disaster and I’m sure BA will let us reschedule our flights.

just hoping the Charlton Life Trip to Normandy late July can go ahead as planned.
  • Options
    Had 2 weeks in Penge booked for April - fortunately the booking has been cancelled. Due a refund of £7.75.
  • Options
    Had a refund from British Airways for my Malaga holiday in April, so have booked up for Christmas in Gran Canary using Easy Jet, £60 return excluding seats and baggage, some good deals there at the moment.
    Excluding seats? They've really cut services to the bone, havent they

• Options
    I’m planning 2 weeks in Costa del Bexley. 
  • Options
    IdleHans said:
    Excluding seats? They've really cut services to the bone, havent they

Haha tbf booking the seats wasn't too bad £8 for return and 23kg bag was £28 return, so still under £100.
  • Options
    Cornwall is already worried about the fact that people will be bored by Easter with self-isolation and all you coravirus carriers will come down and infect the locals as you will not be able to go abroad. We apparently only have ten cases in Cornwall so far. 
  • Options
    Cornwall is already worried about the fact that people will be bored by Easter with self-isolation and all you coravirus carriers will come down and infect the locals as you will not be able to go abroad. We apparently only have ten cases in Cornwall so far. 
    Well let's hope for Cornwall no one goes there this year
  • Options
    If the tourists stopped going to Cornwall Harry the financial impact over a number of years would far outweigh what Corona Virus is going to do to us.
  • Options
    If the tourists stopped going to Cornwall Harry the financial impact over a number of years would far outweigh what Corona Virus is going to do to us.
    Oh yes including me but there is so much gallows humour down here at the mo, we are all fucked economically but the good news is there are no coughs and colds.
  • Options
    IdleHans said:

The Bull is a great pub, although I am less fond of Brakspears than I used to be.  Bell in Waltham St Lawrence is a great favourite.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!