Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

+*+*+*+*+*ANDY MURRAY TO RETIRE AFTER WIMBLEDON+*+*+*+*+

Comments

• Love him or loathe him he was a brilliant talent who put British Tennis back on the map. He’s been playing in an era that has produced several tennis greats and to be able to compete with Fed, Nadal and Novak is some achievement. In a different era, he might have been able to have won as many Grand Slams as Federrer. Wishing him all the best for a happy and healthy retirement
  • Gutted! We won't have another Brit competing at the very highest level for quite some time I think.
  • Riviera said:

Competing and training has been a way of life for him for probably 25 years and for probably over 50,000 hours has, effectively, ruined his body. I suspect that it is the fear of what he can and can't do, given that he says he struggles to even put his socks on at the age of just 31, is what upsets him even more than the fact that he will never potentially play again.

We don't have that many champions in sport
    simply because very few have the skill but, more to the point, the commitment, day in day out, to become one. And when one thinks that he has had to compete against not one, not two but three of the greatest male players of all time it makes his achievements all the more commendable.

Good luck Andy.

You don't watch the Olympics then? Or Boxing, Snooker, Golf etc etc
    No
    But as you mentioned it compared to the number we have competing in those sports we don't. And if you just take tennis in isolation, how many Grand Slam winners, male or female, have we had in the last 40 years?

I'm sure a man of your undoubted sporting knowledge will be able to tell me.
  • Gutted! We won't have another Brit competing at the very highest level for quite some time I think.

Agreed... Just got a feeling that Kyle Edmund wont quite reach the consistant heights of Henman let alone Murray
  • Is there actually anyone who still dislikes him because of that joke about not wanting England to win a football match about 100 years ago?
  • Real shame. Top bloke and great athlete
  • Not his greatest fan (would always want Federer to win over him) but anyone who thinks he is not one of Britain's greatest ever sportsmen need their heads examined.
  • One of the greatest sports persons from the UK.
    Sad that he can't retire on his own terms.
  • Sponsored links:

• se9addick said:

Is there actually anyone who still dislikes him because of that joke about not wanting England to win a football match about 100 years ago?

Sadly i know a few. They are completely unaware of the context of the joke and the reporter making the first dig about Scotland.
  • Back to being Scottish for you then Andy.

In seriousness I never thought he would a win grand slam he was destined to be a nearly man but worked incredibly hard on his game and body to get him to that level.
  • Will miss his sunny disposition in the media but will look forward to his inevitable place on the punditry team for Wimble...d...o YAWN!!!
  • Fantastic professional. Not everyone's cup of tea, but he reached the top of his game winning grand slams, Olympic golds and was the world No.1.

Sir Andrew Murray (IMO) will be one of the greatest British sportsmen ever.
  • Gutted for him. Loved watching him and one of the few times the missus would watch sport with me was when he was on at Wimbledon.

Real genuine guy, best of luck for the future Andy.
  • Love Andy Murray and was a little choked up watching the press conference.
  • Great counter punch player with a dry sense of humour which always made me laugh. It's a shame he never developed a world class second serve as it was his achilles heal in so many big matches. I hope he has a long and happy retirement.
  • Riviera said:

Competing and training has been a way of life for him for probably 25 years and for probably over 50,000 hours has, effectively, ruined his body. I suspect that it is the fear of what he can and can't do, given that he says he struggles to even put his socks on at the age of just 31, is what upsets him even more than the fact that he will never potentially play again.

We don't have that many champions in sport
    simply because very few have the skill but, more to the point, the commitment, day in day out, to become one. And when one thinks that he has had to compete against not one, not two but three of the greatest male players of all time it makes his achievements all the more commendable.

Good luck Andy.

You don't watch the Olympics then? Or Boxing, Snooker, Golf etc etc
    No
    But as you mentioned it compared to the number we have competing in those sports we don't. And if you just take tennis in isolation, how many Grand Slam winners, male or female, have we had in the last 40 years?

I'm sure a man of your undoubted sporting knowledge will be able to tell me.
    Yes.
  • Sponsored links:

• Top man and great player

Gutted about this news, and feel quite emotional watching him like that, but not surprised. I remember Pat Cash a couple of years ago saying that such hip injuries were largely incurable, so even then there were doubts in my mind whether he could come back

A glorious period for British Tennis comes to an end
  • Funny compassionate and a great athlete. Has brought tennis to life for me over the last 10 years. Absolutely gutted for him, and for us.

Thanks for the success, entertainment and passion Andy.
  • edited January 2019
    Fair play to him.

Well deserved retirement.

Interested to know his plan now tennis is gone.
  • Dazzler21 said:

Fair play to him.

Well deserved retirement.

Interested to know his plan now tennis is gone.

Part of the British consortium buying Charlton!
  • se9addick said:

Is there actually anyone who still dislikes him because of that joke about not wanting England to win a football match about 100 years ago?

Paulie evidently.

• Fantastic professional. Not everyone's cup of tea, but he reached the top of his game winning grand slams, Olympic golds and was the world No.1.

Not just your opinion, the Queens too as she Knighted him in 2017.
  • I'm not much of a tennis fan, but it's undeniable that Andy has been one of the greatest sportsmen of my lifetime and easily the greatest *British* tennis player of my lifetime.

I hope he has a pain-free retirement. You spend a lot more time not playing than playing, and I hope he can relax a bit in the next few years.
  • Riviera said:

Fantastic professional. Not everyone's cup of tea, but he reached the top of his game winning grand slams, Olympic golds and was the world No.1.

Not just your opinion, the Queens too as she Knighted him in 2017.
    I am not sure Her Majesty chose to award him a knighthood
  • He mentioned that by playing in the Australian Open, it may mean that he's not fit enough to play at Wimbledon.

If that's the case, I'd much rather he binned the Aussie Open so he can have his rightful swan song at Wimbledon.

A great sporting legend and I was lucky enough to watch him once at Wimbledon and once at the O2. Much more of a personality and character than people actually give him credit for as well.
  • I think he's Britain's greatest ever professional athlete and I am not sure whether anyone will be able to disabuse me of that notion.

And, despite the eleven grand slam finals, three grand slam wins and captaining GB to the Davis Cup, I think the biggest, best achievement of his career was to retain the Olympic title. No-one had ever done that before; it's difficult to imagine anyone doing it in the future.