Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

+*+*+*+*+*ANDY MURRAY TO RETIRE AFTER WIMBLEDON+*+*+*+*+

Comments

• Options
    He’d have a hard time playing singles in Spain and doubles in NYC in the same week...
    Wasnt sure when the doubles started smart ass as they are not played at the same time as the singles start, and as mixed doubles havent yet been announced guessing they dont start till next week, so he could play singles in Spain and mixed doubles US Open
  • Options
    Great player, even a greater person. I put him as the third best British athlete of my lifetime, behind Daley Thompson and Mo Farah.
  • Options
    He’d have a hard time playing singles in Spain and doubles in NYC in the same week...
    Wasnt sure when the doubles started smart ass as they are not played at the same time as the singles start, and as mixed doubles havent yet been announced guessing they dont start till next week, so he could play singles in Spain and mixed doubles US Open
    Just messing around mate :-) I know you know your tennis!
  • Options
    I think he wants to try to get back, and be competitive, in the Australian Open in January so he is playing low grade tournaments to ensure he gets a few consecutive matches rather than draw someone decent in the better tournaments who, even in his half fit and out of practice state, he'll give a decent match but lose.
  • Options
    Cello to all you Andy Murray fans 
    I don't want to harp on about this but Andy lost to Matteo Viola yesterday.
    No strings attached and this was no Fiddle.
    Matteo is trying to drum up support while blowing his own trumpet but a few years ago Andy would have beaten Viola while wearing a whistle and flute.

• Options
    I just think Murray is simply testing the water and seeing where things take him.........he’s as curious as all of us as to how far he can go.
    He’s a born fighter and will no doubt do all he can to climb the rankings ladder, whilst at the same time being totally realistic that he will never again reach the heights he once achieved.
    He obviously still has a great love for the competitive nature of the game......it’s his life after all, he knows only how to live as a professional tennis player and is in no hurry to let go just yet...........and who can blame him.
    Good luck fella and there are many fans who will be right behind you, supporting you till the bitter end.
  • Options
    Knocked out in the third round in Mallorca by Mateo Viola, world no. 240
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    In the final at Antwerp against Wawrinka... trying to find a place to watch it.

His five losses since returning in August have come against (in chronological order):

World no. 65 (Sandgren)
    World no. 215 (Viola)
    World no. 26 (de Minaur)
    World no. 5 (Thiem)
    World no. 12 (Fognini)

If he can beat Wawrinka today, it'll be his highest rank scalp (world no. 18) since his return.
  • Options
    Wawrinka wins the first set 6-3.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited October 2019
    Murray won the second set 6-4. And now they trade breaks of serve in the third set. Murray is right in this...
  • Options
    you can see what it means to him, cracking win

• Options
    Now ranked 18 I believe.....absolutely amazing.
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    No way is he ranked 18th after winning that.

Brief look online some are saying 127th some are saying 46th, cant find a certain answer, but no way has he gone from the 200s to18th by winning 1 event
  • Options
    No way is he ranked 18th after winning that.

Brief look online some are saying 127th some are saying 46th, cant find a certain answer, but no way has he gone from the 200s to18th by winning 1 event
    He won't but I doubt that will bother him, He is racing up the rankings and will justify a wild card wherever he wants now. Not sure how good he will be again but this is very, very promising. He is definitely getting better by leaps and bounds and beating higher and higher ranked opponents
  • Options
    Probably around 130-140th I expect. Gets 250pts for the win, taking his total to 442. That would = 126th but I suspect others will have picked up some points in and around that mark.
  • Options
    My apologies.....Wawrinka is ranked 18th and is the highest ranked player that Murray has beaten since his return.
    Doh!
  • Options
    Fair play to him, one of the best sportsmen to come from the UK and his resilience should be inspiring to any young kid grafting at making it 

I love him, just such a shame we didnt have a line of cabs behind him in the ranks so we can go back to watching a shiny faced posh boy go out in the 3rd round at Wimbledon 
  • Options
    Interestingly last year's winner of the event was Kyle Edmund, who seems to be in a massive slump at the moment
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    So what happened to retiring as the title of the thread suggests?
  • Options
    Murray is an amazing and modest character.
  • Options
    Read somewhere that he's the first tennis player to return to the Singles game after having such an operation

If so goes to show that whilst he may not have the amount of Majors compared to the big three - It still means he deserves to be mentioned in the same group, its that sort of never die attitude that got him to No.1 and enabled him to get even close to the likes of Nadal | Federer | Djokovic

Whilst he may not be able to compete with those mentioned again I still think he could manage to face off against anyone else, especially if he's just defeated Wawrinka who has caused him plenty of problems over the year
  • Options
    Murray's attitude and strength of character is an example to other sportsmen.
    Are you listening Lewis Page
  • Options
    Read somewhere that he's the first tennis player to return to the Singles game after having such an operation

If so goes to show that whilst he may not have the amount of Majors compared to the big three - It still means he deserves to be mentioned in the same group, its that sort of never die attitude that got him to No.1 and enabled him to get even close to the likes of Nadal | Federer | Djokovic

Whilst he may not be able to compete with those mentioned again I still think he could manage to face off against anyone else, especially if he's just defeated Wawrinka who has caused him plenty of problems over the year
    Nadal has had loads of bad injuries yet came back better than ever
  • Options
    Back in our Davis Cup squad for the new look event

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/tennis/50125113
  • Options

Nadal has had loads of bad injuries yet came back better than ever
    Murray's hip operation is a bit more serious.
    In fact ‘way more’ serious......no comparison.