Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

+*+*+*+*+*ANDY MURRAY TO RETIRE AFTER WIMBLEDON+*+*+*+*+

Comments

• Chizz said:

I think he's Britain's greatest ever professional athlete and I am not sure whether anyone will be able to disabuse me of that notion.

And, despite the eleven grand slam finals, three grand slam wins and captaining GB to the Davis Cup, I think the biggest, best achievement of his career was to retain the Olympic title. No-one had ever done that before; it's difficult to imagine anyone doing it in the future.

He's not even considered to be Scotland's greatest ever professional athlete.
  • Chizz said:

I think he's Britain's greatest ever professional athlete and I am not sure whether anyone will be able to disabuse me of that notion.

And, despite the eleven grand slam finals, three grand slam wins and captaining GB to the Davis Cup, I think the biggest, best achievement of his career was to retain the Olympic title. No-one had ever done that before; it's difficult to imagine anyone doing it in the future.

Charlie Wright is.
  • Chizz said:

Yeah but rock throwing isnt really a sport is it

Plus William Wallace was rebelling against the King of England so dont count
  • Chizz said:

Charlie Wright is.
    Indeed - Charlton's greatest and Scotland's finest ever international goalkeeper. Even if his only cap came playing for Hong Kong.
  • Chizz said:

That does nothing to influence what I think
  • Chizz said:

Chizz said:

Nor was it supposed to. It just highlighted that his nation of birth think differently to you.
  • Chizz said:

Riviera said:

Fantastic professional. Not everyone's cup of tea, but he reached the top of his game winning grand slams, Olympic golds and was the world No.1.

Sir Andrew Murray (IMO) will be one of the greatest British sportsmen ever.

Not just your opinion, the Queens too as she Knighted him in 2017.
    I am not sure Her Majesty chose to award him a knighthood
    Seriously have a day off fella! Or seek some sort of help.
  • edited January 2019
    Riviera said:

Chizz said:

If I was as big a dick as you I’d be straight on here to point out that Murray did not captain GB to Davis Cup victory, the captain is a non-playing role and it was Leon Smith. However I’m not so I won’t.
    You could also point out that Chris Hoy retained Olympic titles, in two events, before Murray did it in one. As you say, you're not a dick, so you wont.

Also, don't point out that Adam Peaty is very much on course to be someone who replicates the achievement of defending Olympic titles.
  • Sponsored links:

• Warmed to him after his tearful interview he gave on court after just losing his first Wimbledon final. I'm not a tennis fan but can appreciate that he is a sporting great.
  • Riviera said:

Chizz said:

If I was as big a dick as you I’d be straight on here to point out that Murray did not captain GB to Davis Cup victory, the captain is a non-playing role and it was Leon Smith. However I’m not so I won’t.
    Thanks for pointing that out.
  • Bet he losses in the first round at Wimbledon.
  • Riviera said:

Chizz said:

You could also point out that Chris Hoy retained Olympic titles, in two events, before Murray did it in one. As you say, you're not a dick, so you wont.

Also, don't point out that Adam Peaty is very much on course to be someone who replicates the achievement of defending Olympic titles.
    Perhaps for the hard of thinking I should have explained I was referring just to Olympic tennis. I'm sorry if that caused you confusion.
  • Chizz said:

Chizz said:

Nor was it supposed to. It just highlighted that his nation of birth think differently to you.
    I only speak for myself. I wouldn't presume to know the opinion of an entire nation.
  • A tremendous sportsman, occasionally surly and pissed off (but then, we want our sporting heroes to care, don't we), but with what appears to be a very genuine warmth and sense of humour.

I hate tennis, but he's one of the few that I really liked (and not only because of his football comments).

And, it has to be said, I really admire him for the way in which, in a sporting environment where many of the leading lights say nothing for fear of damaging their sponsorship revenues, I have been mightily impressed with his willingness to raise his head above the parapet in support of equal treatment for women.

He's the sort of feminist that gives blokes a good name.

This is what makes Murray one of the all-time greats: engendering respect an admiration from people who dislike the sport.
  • Bet he losses in the first round at Wimbledon.

I think that's very likely. Even if he's half-fit, I'd imagine he'd want a swansong rather than pulling out. And he'll deserve every second of the standing ovation he would get.
  • A great sportsman who has done a lot for tennis. His mentoring of young British players will be a huge benefit to them. I hope he exceeds expectations in his last few tournaments
  • He’s a top bloke and a wonderful sportsman. Head and shoulders our best ever tennis player. I don’t think you can rank him against others from different sports, but if you did he’d be up there.
  • Sponsored links:

• I will clarify something I posted earlier, because it appears that some people haven't properly understood the precise meaning I intended to convey in the tribute I made to Andy Murray. So here it is again, in less ambiguous terms.

I think Andy Murray is Britain's greatest-ever professional athlete. And I think the greatest achievement of Andy Murray's career is not his tennis grand slam final appearances or his tennis grand slam wins. It's not the Davis Cup win. It's the fact he's the only tennis player to retain a men's singles Olympic title. I think that - of all his achievements - will be the one that is hardest to beat.
  • edited January 2019
    Top guy and a genuine great. Was unfortunate that during his peak he was the fourth best player in the world by a comfortable margin in both directions. Without Federer, Djokovic and Nadal around he’d have stacked up about 15 grand slams as he was miles better than the rest. It’s to his enormous credit that he managed that relatively short purple period where he cleared up. My suspicion is that the tears now are partly down to him having been so driven (I’ve always found Judy Murray hard to like albeit for no rational reason) either willingly or otherwise since he could walk that he’s now reached his 30s with the stunning realisation that it’s all over and he hasn’t got a clue what else to do now he’s just a “normal” bloke, albeit one with zillions in the bank and a lovely family who will want for nothing. He’s got to find something to do and I guess, like the rest of us in our own version of those circumstances, he’s at a crossroads with a lot of choices and no real idea which to choose. Good luck to him and thanks for the memories. British tennis is about to find out the debt of gratitude that it owes him.
  • He’ll keep busy, he already represents a couple of young players.
  • Top guy and a genuine great. Was unfortunate that during his peak he was the fourth best player in the world by a comfortable margin in both directions. Without Federer, Djokovic and Nadal around he’d have stacked up about 15 grand slams as he was miles better than the rest. It’s to his enormous credit that he managed that relatively short purple period where he cleared up. My suspicion is that the tears now are partly down to him having been so driven (I’ve always found Judy Murray hard to like albeit for no rational reason) either willingly or otherwise since he could walk that he’s now reached his 30s with the stunning realisation that it’s all over and he hasn’t got a clue what else to do now he’s just a “normal” bloke, albeit one with zillions in the bank and a lovely family who will want for nothing. He’s got to find something to do and I guess, like the rest of us in our own version of those circumstances, he’s at a crossroads with a lot of choices and no real idea which to choose. Good luck to him and thanks for the memories. British tennis is about to find out the debt of gratitude that it owes him.

I totally agree that, were it not for the fact that Murray's career was at its peak at the same time as three other behemoths of tennis (Federer, Djokovic, Nadal) he would have won many more grand slam titles. But it's also interesting to see how often he got knocked out by someone he should have beaten. It wasn't just those three giants that knocked him out of grand slam events. Between his first grand slam final and his most recent, he was knocked out by Verdasco, Cilic, Berdych, Roddick, Ferrer, Wawrinka, Anderson and Dimitrov. WIth the exception of Wawrinka (and making the point that Roddick was past his best by the time he beat Murray) all of those names are well below the highest rank of grand slam players.

So he probably would have won many more titles without the three most prestigious opponents. But probably not as many as most think.
  • The symbols on this thread title keep making me think we have signed a new player.
  • Top guy and a genuine great. Was unfortunate that during his peak he was the fourth best player in the world by a comfortable margin in both directions. Without Federer, Djokovic and Nadal around he’d have stacked up about 15 grand slams as he was miles better than the rest. It’s to his enormous credit that he managed that relatively short purple period where he cleared up. My suspicion is that the tears now are partly down to him having been so driven (I’ve always found Judy Murray hard to like albeit for no rational reason) either willingly or otherwise since he could walk that he’s now reached his 30s with the stunning realisation that it’s all over and he hasn’t got a clue what else to do now he’s just a “normal” bloke, albeit one with zillions in the bank and a lovely family who will want for nothing. He’s got to find something to do and I guess, like the rest of us in our own version of those circumstances, he’s at a crossroads with a lot of choices and no real idea which to choose. Good luck to him and thanks for the memories. British tennis is about to find out the debt of gratitude that it owes him.

you could say that for any era though.

60's without : Emerson / Laver
    70's without : Borg /Connors/ Newcombe
    80's without : Lendl /Willander / McEnroe / Edberg / Becker
    90's without : Sampras / Agassi
  • What a top player and person, probably the greatest British Sportsmen.

I know there's a lot on the Wimbledon wins, but my favourite win of his was Rio 2016 against Juan Martin del Potro in the final, utterly brutal tennis.
  • As others have said one of our greatest ever sportsmen. Wimbledon won't be the same without him.