Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Shrewsbury v Charlton - Post Match Views

Comments

• Options
    Great result, better linking between midfield and front two.
    Still would like to see us defending a bit higher.
    At a game like this - being so dominant, Philips should not be anywhere near the runnings for Man of the match.
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    Oggy Red said:

Very good result and if we can maintain this form we're looking at 82 points out of 46 matches.

However...In the last 4 seasons the average number of points required for a team to finish 2nd has been 89.5. Could we improve sufficiently to reach that? Or will Luton fade and Sunderland not come good?

We're not doing too badly when you consider, with a scratch side, we took only 5 points from our first 5 games, winning just once.

Then we had that wobble in October when we dropped down to 13th.

And there were the two Christmas games lost when we could barely put out a balanced side because of injuries.

With new signings and players soon returning from injury, we should be capable of putting winning runs together - and have a stronger 2nd half of the season.

Taylor is a huge factor and therefore a big vulnerability. I think he’s great. I’m not suggesting we could sign anyone who would be as effective in his absence but the lack of cover for him could kill us.

• Options
    edited January 2019
    I am surprised that we are only 4 points better off than we were this time last season, albeit it having scored 9 more goals and conceded 2 less. The next 5 games last season saw us get just 5 points (8 in the next 8 - LB took over after that) - hopefully that'll be 15 in the next 5 this season!
  • Options

If we had lost the 98 play-off final to Sunderland in the manner they did to us, we would also see them in a superior light. Fact is we didn't and I think they will choke. Whether or not we can be the ones to grab second depends on whether the the Old Scrote cashes in on anyone this month. So far so good but previous experience suggests he will.

Grab second, we going for champs mate
  • Options

I am surprised that we are only 4 points better off than we were this time last season, albeit it having scored 9 more goals and conceded 2 less. The next 5 games last season saw us get just 5 points (8 in the next 8 - LB took over after that) - hopefully that'll be 15 in the next 5 this season!

To be honest we started really well last season under Robinson. We then got found out and he had no answer to it. Robinson gets a lot of stick so I think people forget we played some good stuff last season and picked up some really good results.
  • Options

To be honest we started really well last season under Robinson. We then got found out and he had no answer to it. Robinson gets a lot of stick so I think people forget we played some good stuff last season and picked up some really good results.
    And with a worse team than we have this season.

Lack of adaptability got him.
  • Options
    Can’t believe I didn’t see you Fanny! X
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Pwr as just back at the hotel after celebrating with a lovely meal and numerous drinkies...hic.

Great performance from the lads after a strong first 20 mins or so from the Shrews.

LOVE the attitude and fight these boys showed today! All 14 deserved MOTM today but special plaudits for our new midfielder JS or as I call him, Max Branning.

Our Karlan had a torrid time in front of goal but total respect for the way he stepped up to the plate after a brief word with his fellow striker.Great to see the way his team mates celebrated when he scored ...this epitomizes the camaraderie engendered in the squad by Bow and JJ. Long may it last.

Today,s performance from what must be the strongest starting line up for some considerable time should have raised the expectations of those present for the second half of the season.

Do we dare to dream ?

All I know is that Fanny,s old familiar tingle, in mothballs for so long, is beginning to make its presence felt once again....and I like it !

Onwards and upwards !

We've definitely had stronger line ups then that season but I think a lot of us share your optimism and things looking up for a change.
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    The games in hand of those at the top somewhat overstated as Luton and Pompey have one, which is playing each other on 29th Jan. A draw suits us best like Luton Sunderland yesterday as it deprives both teams of 3 points, but whatever the result, it will be good news for us as at least one of them won’t be getting a win from that game.

Grant’s misses - looked like good saves from the keeper who came out promptly and narrowed the angle on each occasion.
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:

Callum posted this already but worth it for the nutmeg by KG

Really impressed by the referee's movement in keeping up with play.

Watch him keeping pace with Grant's run; and only a yard outside the box when he gave the penalty decision. He couldn't have been better placed.

How the commentors thought it was a free kick on the edge of the box ..... well, what game were they watching?

It's bad enough missing that the foul was clearly in the box, but he said "free kick right on the edge of the box" well after the ref's pointed to the spot. Is this the correct moment to call someone a cockwomble?
  • Options

Oggy Red said:

Very good result and if we can maintain this form we're looking at 82 points out of 46 matches.

However...In the last 4 seasons the average number of points required for a team to finish 2nd has been 89.5. Could we improve sufficiently to reach that? Or will Luton fade and Sunderland not come good?

We're not doing too badly when you consider, with a scratch side, we took only 5 points from our first 5 games, winning just once.

Then we had that wobble in October when we dropped down to 13th.

And there were the two Christmas games lost when we could barely put out a balanced side because of injuries.

With new signings and players soon returning from injury, we should be capable of putting winning runs together - and have a stronger 2nd half of the season.

Taylor is a huge factor and therefore a big vulnerability. I think he’s great. I’m not suggesting we could sign anyone who would be as effective in his absence but the lack of cover for him could kill us.

Which is probably true for every club in the top 6 and their star player. I know it was true for us in 11/12 with Yann. Hayes would have been enough for the play-offs, Yann turned us into a title winning team.

Hopefully we can bring in someone who will provide better cover than Ajose and RHF can.
  • Options

BR3red said:

21 games left. Win them all and we go up.

18 to go?

Don’t think you can win all 18, then the playoffs and the final and go up twice ;-) !!
    Let’s see if we can get those really poor performances out of our system before we get too carried away. If we have another 15 points after the next seven games I think I’ll get excited.

Tue good news is that in the main we now have just one game a week. That will help injury recovery too.
  • Options
    RedChaser said:

PWR

At the match;

Breezy conditions, grey skies and a temperature of 9* greeted me as I parked up 10 minutes from the ground. Listening to BBC Radio Shropshire I learnt Williams was due to start as was Purrington with Maxwell on the bench. For the Shrews they had their old boy Edwards back. The former Wolves player however was also on the bench.

Both teams favour a diamond formation but it looked as if Bielik was dropping into a back three with Bauer centre and Sarr left early on with Solly and Purrington pushed on in a four man midfield with Williams working his magic just behind Taylor and Grant.

The home team weren't afraid to attack but they had little cutting edge. Having said that Phillips had to be alert to prevent a cert goal from a close range header with Purrington beaten in the air at the far stick. Dills fantastic reaction stop with his foot was as good as a goal at the other end which often gets overlooked. Our front two were up for it and their defenders knew it was going to be a tough afternoon as Taylor's powerful hold up play and Grant's pace created havoc. Williams was like a breath of fresh air with his quick feet, surging runs and threaded passes, hope Fosu can learn from him with his decision making.

G&T (Grant & Taylor) had been trying their luck and from one turbo boost by Grant his snap shot from 20 yards was just tipped round by Arnold. From the resultant corner by Morgan the ball seemed to glance off a head and onto the far post where Taylor tidied up 1-0 to the Londoners on 25 mins. Dills was again called into action and got down well to keep out a rasping shot inside his left hand post; HT 1-0

Second half no changes and with the wind at our back. How do I know this? because their keeper couldn't keep the ball on the island as he kept passing to the dugouts to his left to constant cries from the travelling faithful of DEANO, DEANO, DEANO :smiley: . That all important second was the order at half time no doubt and we were very much in the ascendancy. Sure enough it came in the 55th minute and no other than that pantomime villain Darren Pratley was the scorer. After great hold up play from by Taylor from a cross by Williams, I think, he laid it off to Dazza to hit a right to left bender past the despairing dive of Arnold and into the onion bag 2-0 to the Londoners. How delighted Pratley was in front of his 'adoring' fans. Having doubled our lead, Lapslie almost immediately entered the fray to provide more energy and defensive cover for the tiring Morgan.

We should have been out of sight had Grant converted any of the three one on one chances he spurned and we had to wait until the 80th minute for him to finally break his duck. Having burst away from the half way line he was felled in the box and converted the chance he had created much to his obvious relief and delight. It appeared that Taylor gave him the ball and encouraged him to join him on the scoresheet. 3-0 to the Londoners.

Marshall came on for man of the match Williams, who had given his all and Dijksteel for Bielik, late on to preserve our prized assets.

The best team won today and were clear daylight better than last years play-off losers albeit their smaller line up from a changed personnel and Manager bears little resemblance. Well done to 500 plus addicks who were in fine voice. Fleetwood next up for me COYRs!

That's all well and good but "Dills"? Wtf?
  • Options
    cafc_se7 said:

Some teams are so unpredictable. Blackpool beat us, get 1 point from the next 5 games, then win at Pompey!

I still think Portsmouth will win the title but if we can play the rest of the season like we did today, we’ve got to be in with a shout at second.
    I honestly think Pompey will get caught! They have been found out!

Let's hope so.
  • Options

Just had a look on the Sunderland forum as I had a hunch. And it was proven right - they are shit scared of us.

Do you have a link?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

How nice to see all these positive comments,hardly a mention of RD,long may it continue,lets forget all about him and get behind the team.Be great to see 15000 at the Valley on saturday.

No hope
  • Options

21 games left. Win them all and we go up.

Win them all and I'll buy you a season ticket when Roland leaves.
  • Options
    To Evesham addick,yes you are right but I think the difference is that we have a very happy playing staff who for the first time in 2-3 years are playing for the shirt ,and dont want to leave.However,money talks so roll on end of January.
  • Options
    What I think is becoming clear iver the last few games is that if any team tries to go up against us in that midfield battle then we will beat them. Barring everyone having an off day. We have enough quality that we will never get completely overrun in midfield. We will always be able to get service to throw strikers who will keep scoring. This is thanks to the diamond giving us dominance in midfield.

The way teams will cause us problems is by exploiting the lack of width in the diamond and doubling up on our full backs. I'm still not sure we have a solution to this other than to go 3 at the back giving us an extra man.
  • Options
    The other thing with Grant, bloody hell is he quick!
  • Options
    Just watched the highlights on Sky - Grant does have an awful lot of chances. He should really have taken a couple of them but at least he's getting into those positions.

His pace is impressive.
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:

And with a worse team than we have this season.

Lack of adaptability got him.
    Building on that comment, it was also his refusal to change formation that lost him the players who could see that with the personnel available playing a 4-4-2 would yield better results. Once the players had given up he was done for.

• Options
    On Grant he’s still only 21, he can still improve his composure in front of goal.

What I think is becoming clear iver the last few games is that if any team tries to go up against us in that midfield battle then we will beat them. Barring everyone having an off day. We have enough quality that we will never get completely overrun in midfield. We will always be able to get service to throw strikers who will keep scoring. This is thanks to the diamond giving us dominance in midfield.

The way teams will cause us problems is by exploiting the lack of width in the diamond and doubling up on our full backs. I'm still not sure we have a solution to this other than to go 3 at the back giving us an extra man.

Every formation leaves space somewhere on the pitch. A flat 4-4-2 makes it harder to control the middle of the pitch. A system like Robinson’s asks a lot of the lone striker.

I think Bowyer feels we can deal with the extra crosses opponents might try to put in. The diamond helps us play out from the back, yet with two strikers we have the option of going direct. We’re less predictable going forward compared to a flat 4-4-2. Width can be provided by full backs, the CMs or the strikers. It gets the best out of Taylor and Grant. We saw yesterday Grant got in behind, had Shrewsbury sat back they’d have given up space to our midfield.

In Williams I think we have that stand out player to use at the tip of the diamond, he could make a real difference if he stays fit. With our strongest team our weakness is probably the lack of genuine pacey attacking full backs. Page is the closest we have to that. I like Solly and Dijksteel but neither really offer that on the right.
  • Options
    Ironically with Williams and Taylor we have the players to make a success of 4231.

And Bowyer would play it if he thought it was right for a particular game even if he's a two striker man.