Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Shrewsbury v Charlton - Post Match Views

Comments

• Options
    edited January 2019

JonnyK said:

We have scored more pens than anyone in the top 4 divisions.
    (according to Sky).
    The Nabster is playing at his best and Taylor is different class.

An amazing turnaround, was it 2 or 3 years ago when we had no penalties at all one season?
    It sure helps when you play two up front plus the head of the diamond just behind ... and then there is The Lyle Taylor effect on both the players and the fans - WOW 👍
    We’ve improved in a number of positions, but if we’d had Taylor last year, even under Robinson, we’d have been promoted I think.
    Agree with this. I think people gave Magennis an easy ride because he's such a likeable bloke. Taylor who is very good at holding the ball up and bringing others into play (and can also finish), would have made a massive difference.

And what is it with Barnsley, who have two games in hand over us and are just a point behind? They look like a real threat for the automatic places. Don't know much about them, but I'm hoping they've been lucky with injuries and suspensions, but that that luck might change. Or do they have a big squad?

It looks like they have an easy run of fixtures coming up before they play Portsmouth away on 23rd Feb.

They next play:
    AFC Wimbledon
    Rochdale
    Oxford United
    Scunthorpe United
    Gillingham
    Wycombe Wanderers
    Portsmouth

Also wanted to mention that I think Williams plays with his head up, whereas Fosu is often head down.

Also wanted to mention (sorry) that if Sarr had made the disastrous back header that Bielik did against Sunderland, it would still be being talked about by his detractors, whereas with Bielik it's as if it never happened. Point is, all players make mistakes. It's about how they get over them, and to an extent, how the fans react to them.
  • Options

RedChaser said:

PWR

At the match;

Breezy conditions, grey skies and a temperature of 9* greeted me as I parked up 10 minutes from the ground. Listening to BBC Radio Shropshire I learnt Williams was due to start as was Purrington with Maxwell on the bench. For the Shrews they had their old boy Edwards back. The former Wolves player however was also on the bench.

Both teams favour a diamond formation but it looked as if Bielik was dropping into a back three with Bauer centre and Sarr left early on with Solly and Purrington pushed on in a four man midfield with Williams working his magic just behind Taylor and Grant.

The home team weren't afraid to attack but they had little cutting edge. Having said that Phillips had to be alert to prevent a cert goal from a close range header with Purrington beaten in the air at the far stick. Dills fantastic reaction stop with his foot was as good as a goal at the other end which often gets overlooked. Our front two were up for it and their defenders knew it was going to be a tough afternoon as Taylor's powerful hold up play and Grant's pace created havoc. Williams was like a breath of fresh air with his quick feet, surging runs and threaded passes, hope Fosu can learn from him with his decision making.

G&T (Grant & Taylor) had been trying their luck and from one turbo boost by Grant his snap shot from 20 yards was just tipped round by Arnold. From the resultant corner by Morgan the ball seemed to glance off a head and onto the far post where Taylor tidied up 1-0 to the Londoners on 25 mins. Dills was again called into action and got down well to keep out a rasping shot inside his left hand post; HT 1-0

Second half no changes and with the wind at our back. How do I know this? because their keeper couldn't keep the ball on the island as he kept passing to the dugouts to his left to constant cries from the travelling faithful of DEANO, DEANO, DEANO :smiley: . That all important second was the order at half time no doubt and we were very much in the ascendancy. Sure enough it came in the 55th minute and no other than that pantomime villain Darren Pratley was the scorer. After great hold up play from by Taylor from a cross by Williams, I think, he laid it off to Dazza to hit a right to left bender past the despairing dive of Arnold and into the onion bag 2-0 to the Londoners. How delighted Pratley was in front of his 'adoring' fans. Having doubled our lead, Lapslie almost immediately entered the fray to provide more energy and defensive cover for the tiring Morgan.

We should have been out of sight had Grant converted any of the three one on one chances he spurned and we had to wait until the 80th minute for him to finally break his duck. Having burst away from the half way line he was felled in the box and converted the chance he had created much to his obvious relief and delight. It appeared that Taylor gave him the ball and encouraged him to join him on the scoresheet. 3-0 to the Londoners.

Marshall came on for man of the match Williams, who had given his all and Dijksteel for Bielik, late on to preserve our prized assets.

The best team won today and were clear daylight better than last years play-off losers albeit their smaller line up from a changed personnel and Manager bears little resemblance. Well done to 500 plus addicks who were in fine voice. Fleetwood next up for me COYRs!

That's all well and good but "Dills"? Wtf?
    Exactly. It should have been Dills's or Dills'.
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:

JonnyK said:

(according to Sky).

An amazing turnaround, was it 2 or 3 years ago when we had no penalties at all one season?
    It sure helps when you play two up front plus the head of the diamond just behind ... and then there is The Lyle Taylor effect on both the players and the fans - WOW 👍
    We’ve improved in a number of positions, but if we’d had Taylor last year, even under Robinson, we’d have been promoted I think.
    Agree with this. I think people gave Magennis an easy ride because he's such a likeable bloke. Taylor who is very good at holding the ball up and bringing others into play (and can also finish), would have made a massive difference.

And what is it with Barnsley? They look like a real threat for the automatic places. Don't know much about them, but I'm hoping they've been lucky with injuries and suspensions, but that that luck might change. Or do they have a big squad?6

It looks like they have an easy run of fixtures coming up before they play Portsmouth away on 23rd Feb.

They next play:
    AFC Wimbledon
    Rochdale
    Oxford United
    Scunthorpe United
    Gillingham
    Wycombe Wanderers
    Portsmouth
    Barnsley have some very good players. Don't think they lost too many from last season. When you are in a promotion push with the pressure, and in this league, I don't think there's any such thing as an 'easy' game. I know Blackpool are doing ok, but don't think anybody expected them to win at Portsmouth yesterday. Gillingham have beaten Portsmouth twice too despite being around 30 points behind them.
  • Options

JamesSeed said:

JonnyK said:

(according to Sky).

And what is it with Barnsley? They look like a real threat for the automatic places. Don't know much about them, but I'm hoping they've been lucky with injuries and suspensions, but that that luck might change. Or do they have a big squad?6

They next play:
    AFC Wimbledon
    Rochdale
    Oxford United
    Scunthorpe United
    Gillingham
    Wycombe Wanderers
    Portsmouth
    Barnsley have some very good players. Don't think they lost too many from last season. When you are in a promotion push with the pressure, and in this league, I don't think there's any such thing as an 'easy' game. I know Blackpool are doing ok, but don't think anybody expected them to win at Portsmouth yesterday. Gillingham have beaten Portsmouth twice too despite being around 30 points behind them.
    Completely agree. Barnsley on paper should win their next 6 games before they play Portsmouth, but many of them are fighting to stay in this league being at the wrong end of the table. I wouldn't be surprised if they dropped some unexpected points from that list, even though I do think they will be right up there this season, they've got some decent players.
  • Options
    Sage said:

JamesSeed said:

JonnyK said:

(according to Sky).

They next play:
    AFC Wimbledon
    Rochdale
    Oxford United
    Scunthorpe United
    Gillingham
    Wycombe Wanderers
    Portsmouth
    Completely agree. Barnsley on paper should win their next 6 games before they play Portsmouth, but many of them are fighting to stay in this league being at the wrong end of the table. I wouldn't be surprised if they dropped some unexpected points from that list, even though I do think they will be right up there this season, they've got some decent players.
    Yeah I think they will too. I think the top 7 have created that gap which is unlikely to change now. Although surprised Doncaster have stayed up there, glad they lost yesterday.

Certainly more exciting then it's been for a while. Just want Ajose out, striker in and the window to close!
  • Options

Sage said:

JamesSeed said:

JonnyK said:

(according to Sky).

They next play:
    AFC Wimbledon
    Rochdale
    Oxford United
    Scunthorpe United
    Gillingham
    Wycombe Wanderers
    Portsmouth
    Yeah I think they will too. I think the top 7 have created that gap which is unlikely to change now. Although surprised Doncaster have stayed up there, glad they lost yesterday.

Certainly more exciting then it's been for a while. Just want Ajose out, striker in and the window to close!
    I think that the top seven will be as it is too, but wouldn't be surprised to see one of Doncaster or Peterborough begin to fall away from the rest of us. Something about Peterborough especially that I just think they're too reliant on Toney and if he were to go to another club or get injured I think they could really struggle, their home form is not too good either.

Don't be surprised if Ajose leaves. I believe we could well bring in another two, a striker being one of them...
  • Options
    Finally ticked Shrewsbury off yesterday and out of all the ties probably picked the best one!

Excellent from start to finish, they had a spell first fifteen or so but who doesn’t when you’re away? Perfect performance that.

Note on the crowd, usually glooming trips in winter up north are pretty somber, but the few hundred that went made loads of noise, so well played on and off.
  • Options
    Charlton and Barnsley will fill the automatic spots at the end of the season and every game the two of us win now will put more and more pressure on the others. They will crack.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    About as good as it gets at this level. We can talk about the chances we missed or the moments at the back which could have been better. That’s what you get in our position in this league , moments of class, Pratleys goal and a few mistakes that could of spun the game the other way. Second half we were well worth the points.
    Especially pleasing after last season, nice to see Shrewsbury back at their natural level.
  • Options
    I thought Shrewsbury lb was also very good, gave solly lots of issues imo
  • Options

It's all getting far too positive on here , for my liking , I reckon we all need a good dose of golfie , to us all back down to earth !

Too late.

Golfie was really happy on CL yesterday. :smile:

• Options
    It was fantastic to score three away from home but for me the best number was nil conceded. With this Charlton side, if we keep a clean sheet, we win.

We need many more clean sheets if we are to catch and surpass the clubs above and around us.
  • Options
    Nicky Ajose was left out of Charlton’s matchday squad in Saturday’s 3-0 win over Shrewsbury, despite being fully fit.

The striker has struggled for first-team minutes due to the form of prolific duo Lyle Taylor and Karlan Grant this season.

And he was not missed at New Meadow as goals from Taylor, Darren Pratley and Grant closed the gap on the top-two to three points.

When asked why he was omitted from the squad, Charlton boss Lee Bowyer told News Shopper: “He just wasn't selected.

“We've brought a couple of players in now and we’ve got players coming back from injury, George [Lapslie] came back.

http://c.newsnow.co.uk/A/969786165?-11197:833
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    ross1 said:

Nicky Ajose was left out of Charlton’s matchday squad in Saturday’s 3-0 win over Shrewsbury, despite being fully fit.

The striker has struggled for first-team minutes due to the form of prolific duo Lyle Taylor and Karlan Grant this season.

And he was not missed at New Meadow as goals from Taylor, Darren Pratley and Grant closed the gap on the top-two to three points.

When asked why he was omitted from the squad, Charlton boss Lee Bowyer told News Shopper: “He just wasn't selected.

“We've brought a couple of players in now and we’ve got players coming back from injury, George [Lapslie] came back.

Hmm... So Hackett-Fairchild is a better option than Ajose?
  • Options
    If Ajose is now behind Hackett-Fairchild then he has big problems. Hopefully he is close to going as I reckon Bowyer/Gallen are on the look out for a striker but need Ajose to leave first.
  • Options

A point to make about Karlan. He has been criticised for missing one v one, but, in his defence, he worked the goal keeper every time.

If he was blazing over, or wide, that would be a sign of nervousness.

Sometimes, you just have to give credit to the keeper...

Only save that I'd question was the last one when Grant was through on goal

Had similar signs of the Walsall game at the Valley where he shot quite early

Yesterday though he seemed to keep delaying
  • Options

ross1 said:

Hackett-Fairchild will benefit from being involved with the first team.
    Ajose on the other hand will almost certainly be gone either in this window or at the end of the season so I can understand Bowyer s thinking.
  • Options

ross1 said:

Hackett-Fairchild can hold the ball up ..... if Taylor had to go off, it would mean the team could keep it's shape.

If Grant, had to go off ..... then there's other players that could play forward or support of Taylor - Fosu, Clarke or perhaps even Marshall, as he's a strong runner.

• Options
    edited January 2019

RedChaser said:

PWR

At the match;

Breezy conditions, grey skies and a temperature of 9* greeted me as I parked up 10 minutes from the ground. Listening to BBC Radio Shropshire I learnt Williams was due to start as was Purrington with Maxwell on the bench. For the Shrews they had their old boy Edwards back. The former Wolves player however was also on the bench.

Both teams favour a diamond formation but it looked as if Bielik was dropping into a back three with Bauer centre and Sarr left early on with Solly and Purrington pushed on in a four man midfield with Williams working his magic just behind Taylor and Grant.

The home team weren't afraid to attack but they had little cutting edge. Having said that Phillips had to be alert to prevent a cert goal from a close range header with Purrington beaten in the air at the far stick. Dills fantastic reaction stop with his foot was as good as a goal at the other end which often gets overlooked. Our front two were up for it and their defenders knew it was going to be a tough afternoon as Taylor's powerful hold up play and Grant's pace created havoc. Williams was like a breath of fresh air with his quick feet, surging runs and threaded passes, hope Fosu can learn from him with his decision making.

G&T (Grant & Taylor) had been trying their luck and from one turbo boost by Grant his snap shot from 20 yards was just tipped round by Arnold. From the resultant corner by Morgan the ball seemed to glance off a head and onto the far post where Taylor tidied up 1-0 to the Londoners on 25 mins. Dills was again called into action and got down well to keep out a rasping shot inside his left hand post; HT 1-0

Second half no changes and with the wind at our back. How do I know this? because their keeper couldn't keep the ball on the island as he kept passing to the dugouts to his left to constant cries from the travelling faithful of DEANO, DEANO, DEANO :smiley: . That all important second was the order at half time no doubt and we were very much in the ascendancy. Sure enough it came in the 55th minute and no other than that pantomime villain Darren Pratley was the scorer. After great hold up play from by Taylor from a cross by Williams, I think, he laid it off to Dazza to hit a right to left bender past the despairing dive of Arnold and into the onion bag 2-0 to the Londoners. How delighted Pratley was in front of his 'adoring' fans. Having doubled our lead, Lapslie almost immediately entered the fray to provide more energy and defensive cover for the tiring Morgan.

We should have been out of sight had Grant converted any of the three one on one chances he spurned and we had to wait until the 80th minute for him to finally break his duck. Having burst away from the half way line he was felled in the box and converted the chance he had created much to his obvious relief and delight. It appeared that Taylor gave him the ball and encouraged him to join him on the scoresheet. 3-0 to the Londoners.

Marshall came on for man of the match Williams, who had given his all and Dijksteel for Bielik, late on to preserve our prized assets.

The best team won today and were clear daylight better than last years play-off losers albeit their smaller line up from a changed personnel and Manager bears little resemblance. Well done to 500 plus addicks who were in fine voice. Fleetwood next up for me COYRs!

That's all well and good but "Dills"? Wtf?
    Stuff the punctuation, it's what @nam11 calls him on Charlton Live, keep up. Same goes for you @JamesSeed :wink:
  • Options

A point to make about Karlan. He has been criticised for missing one v one, but, in his defence, he worked the goal keeper every time.

Nah sorry I don't agree. I am not criticising Grant because has improved so much, and I would rather he was getting in the positions and missing then being poor positionally. But he should have scored against Sunderland and he should have scored at least 2 of those chances yesterday.

He has been fantastic for us, is improving all the time and I am delighted to see it. But if he's going to get praise for the way he mugged that defender off, won the penalty and then scored he, he is also open to some criticism for some terrible misses.

If Ajose had missed those yesterday he would be getting absolute pelters.
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:

ross1 said:

Hackett-Fairchild can hold the ball up ..... if Taylor had to go off, it would mean the team could keep it's shape.

If Grant, had to go off ..... then there's other players that could play forward or support of Taylor - Fosu, Clarke or perhaps even Marshall, as he's a strong runner.

Hackett-Fairchild is nowhere near ready though. This either means Ajose is close to going, Bowyer really doesn't rate him (or both).
  • Options

Nah sorry I don't agree. I am not criticising Grant because has improved so much, and I would rather he was getting in the positions and missing then being poor positionally. But he should have scored against Sunderland and he should have scored at least 2 of those chances yesterday.

He has been fantastic for us, is improving all the time and I am delighted to see it. But if he's going to get praise for the way he mugged that defender off, won the penalty and then scored he, he is also open to some criticism for some terrible misses.

If Ajose had missed those yesterday he would be getting absolute pelters.
    On one of the first half chances, Ajose wouldn't win that header to create the chance for himself.

And in the second half I doubt he'd beat the defender and go to win a penalty.

Karlan's pace and ability to run with the ball means he gets chances that Ajose wouldn't.