Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Shrewsbury v Charlton - Post Match Views

Comments

• Options
    Scoham said:

A point to make about Karlan. He has been criticised for missing one v one, but, in his defence, he worked the goal keeper every time.

If he was blazing over, or wide, that would be a sign of nervousness.

Sometimes, you just have to give credit to the keeper...

Nah sorry I don't agree. I am not criticising Grant because has improved so much, and I would rather he was getting in the positions and missing then being poor positionally. But he should have scored against Sunderland and he should have scored at least 2 of those chances yesterday.

He has been fantastic for us, is improving all the time and I am delighted to see it. But if he's going to get praise for the way he mugged that defender off, won the penalty and then scored he, he is also open to some criticism for some terrible misses.

If Ajose had missed those yesterday he would be getting absolute pelters.
    On one of the first half chances, Ajose wouldn't win that header to create the chance for himself.

And in the second half I doubt he'd beat the defender and go to win a penalty.

Karlan's pace and ability to run with the ball means he gets chances that Ajose wouldn't.
    Agreed, Ajose is shit. But what about the one where the defenders pass him the ball? If Ajose had then missed that are you telling me everybody would be on here saying it was a good save. He should have scored, simple as that.

But yes he did create his own chances too. But he still needs more composure in front of goal as they were poor missed, as was the Sunderland one.

But of course he has drastically improved since this time last season and proven a lot of people (including myself) wrong.
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:

Oggy Red said:

ross1 said:

Nicky Ajose was left out of Charlton’s matchday squad in Saturday’s 3-0 win over Shrewsbury, despite being fully fit.

The striker has struggled for first-team minutes due to the form of prolific duo Lyle Taylor and Karlan Grant this season.

And he was not missed at New Meadow as goals from Taylor, Darren Pratley and Grant closed the gap on the top-two to three points.

When asked why he was omitted from the squad, Charlton boss Lee Bowyer told News Shopper: “He just wasn't selected.

“We've brought a couple of players in now and we’ve got players coming back from injury, George [Lapslie] came back.

http://c.newsnow.co.uk/A/969786165?-11197:833

Hmm... So Hackett-Fairchild is a better option than Ajose?
    Hackett-Fairchild can hold the ball up ..... if Taylor had to go off, it would mean the team could keep it's shape.

If Grant, had to go off ..... then there's other players that could play forward or support of Taylor - Fosu, Clarke or perhaps even Marshall, as he's a strong runner.

Hackett-Fairchild is nowhere near ready though. This either means Ajose is close to going, Bowyer really doesn't rate him (or both).
    I don't think Hackett-Fairchild is ready either ...... but his style of playing and positioning is the nearest we have to Lyle Taylor. It could mean, if Taylor had to go off, that Reeco would simply slot into Taylor's role in the team as best as he was able, without disrupting the pattern of play and keeping the team shape.

Ajose can't play that role. And I'm not sure we have anyone else.
    I do agree. But I don't think Bowyer put Hackett-Fairchild on the bench because he was more suited then Ajose, I just think he really doesn't rate Ajose.
  • Options

A point to make about Karlan. He has been criticised for missing one v one, but, in his defence, he worked the goal keeper every time.

Nah sorry I don't agree. I am not criticising Grant because has improved so much, and I would rather he was getting in the positions and missing then being poor positionally. But he should have scored against Sunderland and he should have scored at least 2 of those chances yesterday.

He has been fantastic for us, is improving all the time and I am delighted to see it. But if he's going to get praise for the way he mugged that defender off, won the penalty and then scored he, he is also open to some criticism for some terrible misses.

It used to be that a one on one almost guaranteed a goal. Nowadays keepers are much better and i can recall Ajose, Vetokele as well as Grant failing consistently in rounding the keeper.
  • Options

Oggy Red said:

Oggy Red said:

ross1 said:

Nicky Ajose was left out of Charlton’s matchday squad in Saturday’s 3-0 win over Shrewsbury, despite being fully fit.

The striker has struggled for first-team minutes due to the form of prolific duo Lyle Taylor and Karlan Grant this season.

And he was not missed at New Meadow as goals from Taylor, Darren Pratley and Grant closed the gap on the top-two to three points.

When asked why he was omitted from the squad, Charlton boss Lee Bowyer told News Shopper: “He just wasn't selected.

“We've brought a couple of players in now and we’ve got players coming back from injury, George [Lapslie] came back.

http://c.newsnow.co.uk/A/969786165?-11197:833

Hmm... So Hackett-Fairchild is a better option than Ajose?
    Hackett-Fairchild can hold the ball up ..... if Taylor had to go off, it would mean the team could keep it's shape.

If Grant, had to go off ..... then there's other players that could play forward or support of Taylor - Fosu, Clarke or perhaps even Marshall, as he's a strong runner.

Hackett-Fairchild is nowhere near ready though. This either means Ajose is close to going, Bowyer really doesn't rate him (or both).
    I don't think Hackett-Fairchild is ready either ...... but his style of playing and positioning is the nearest we have to Lyle Taylor. It could mean, if Taylor had to go off, that Reeco would simply slot into Taylor's role in the team as best as he was able, without disrupting the pattern of play and keeping the team shape.

Ajose can't play that role. And I'm not sure we have anyone else.
    I do agree. But I don't think Bowyer put Hackett-Fairchild on the bench because he was more suited then Ajose, I just think he really doesn't rate Ajose.

Like Marshall, Ajose doesn't really fit Bowyer's teamshape - but he's an experienced pro.
    Other players can play his role.

Ajose and Reeco are not the same type of player.
    And they play different roles in the gameplan and team shape.

Bowyer's got other players on the bench who could cover for Karlan, but they can play other roles also.
    Ajose can't.

Bowyer didn't need Ajose yesterday. So he left him at home.

• Options
    Kap10 said:

It used to be that a one on one almost guaranteed a goal. Nowadays keepers are much better and i can recall Ajose, Vetokele as well as Grant failing consistently in rounding the keeper.
    Matter of opinion and I am taking nothing away from their keeper who actually had a good game, but IMO Grant should have scored. Rounding the keeper doesn't have to be the answer either, you can slot it in without doing so.
  • Options
    One of the positives about yesterday was Williams always seemed to make himself available for the ball, and is good with the ball too.He's just what we've needed in midfield.
  • Options

Kap10 said:

Matter of opinion and I am taking nothing away from their keeper who actually had a good game, but IMO Grant should have scored. Rounding the keeper doesn't have to be the answer either, you can slot it in without doing so.
    He scored a goal, even if it was from a penalty and nobody scores from every chance that comes their way in a game. At the end of the season he’s likely to to have got 20+ goals from 46 league games. What’s to moan about that ?
    Who is moaning pal?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Kap10 said:

Grant needs to be decisive when he's running at the keeper.

But IMO he tends to hesitate momentarily which telegraphs his body language to the keeper - and gives the keeper time to react.

Another thing, angles. Grant often is cutting in from wide and then tries to place his shot across the keeper to the far post. It's a really difficult thing to get right when your running at speed from an angle - and gives the keeper the chance to make himself big and narrow that angle further ..... leaving very little target to aim at.

With these 1-on-1s, if Grant could get himself more central sooner then he's got more options - he can run straight at the keeper as if he was a defender and go round him; or either option of placing his shot left or right.

• Options

I thought Shrewsbury lb was also very good, gave solly lots of issues imo

I thought that, we was saying Shrewsbury are famous for producing the countries top ginger players.
  • Options
    Pwr as just back at the hotel after celebrating with a lovely meal and numerous drinkies...hic.

Great performance from the lads after a strong first 20 mins or so from the Shrews.

LOVE the attitude and fight these boys showed today! All 14 deserved MOTM today but special plaudits for our new midfielder JS or as I call him, Max Branning.

Our Karlan had a torrid time in front of goal but total respect for the way he stepped up to the plate and after a brief word with his fellow striker, calmly held his nerve and scored from the spot. Great to witness the way his team mates congratulated him and testament to the team spirit and camaraderie that Bow and JJ have engendered in the squad.

Can’t believe I didn’t see you Fanny! X

Tell me about it !!!

Will message you later x
  • Options

Kap10 said:

Some were good chances and while yes the keeper did well you'd expect a forward to score at least two of them.

And if you look at Grant's reaction he knows it too.

No slating him as all players miss and clearly it wasn't his day but they were good chances that he didn't take.

Thankfully, we still won easily but in a tighter game he'll need to score those. And he has got 13 already for the season which I think is as many if not more than Taylor from open play.
  • Options

I don't think it was credit to the keeper personally, I've noticed with Grant he seems very Sterlingish, give him too much time and he seems to make a bit of a mess of it. The keeper went to ground so early for one of his chances, Grant could have chipped him, rounded him, hit it to his left anything but instead he just hit it close to him, another chance he came in wide and all the keeper did was make himself big, Grant didn't really place it and the penalty the keeper went the right way, also the same at Burton. I rate Grant, but all this suggests to me there must be something about his body language or positioning that gives the keeper an idea of where to go.

I'm not complaining just an observation, if his finishing was really good he would be the level above and not with us so we can't have it all. Hopefully when his finishing has improved it will be with us and at a higher level
  • Options
    I have to say I lost my head when we lost to Shrewsbury last season and had a right go at them on their forums, makes back for some fantastic reading and all of it has come true so far
  • Options

Scoham said:

On one of the first half chances, Ajose wouldn't win that header to create the chance for himself.

And in the second half I doubt he'd beat the defender and go to win a penalty.

Karlan's pace and ability to run with the ball means he gets chances that Ajose wouldn't.
    Agreed, Ajose is shit. But what about the one where the defenders pass him the ball? If Ajose had then missed that are you telling me everybody would be on here saying it was a good save. He should have scored, simple as that.

But yes he did create his own chances too. But he still needs more composure in front of goal as they were poor missed, as was the Sunderland one.

But of course he has drastically improved since this time last season and proven a lot of people (including myself) wrong.
    I agree Ajose would get pelters if he had missed those chances. My point was he wouldn’t have got as many of those chances in the first place.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Kap10 said:

Some were good chances and while yes the keeper did well you'd expect a forward to score at least two of them.

And if you look at Grant's reaction he knows it too.

No slating him as all players miss and clearly it wasn't his day but they were good chances that he didn't take.

Thankfully, we still won easily but in a tighter game he'll need to score those. And he has got 13 already for the season which I think is as many if not more than Taylor from open play.
    Yep cannot disagree with any of that. Weird day for him because he played well, causing them problems, but the finishing wasn't there. As you said, happens to everyone.

And I am not moaning in general because the improvement from him has been phenomenal, but it is still something he needs to work on to become even better.

As you said, he'll need to score those in a tighter game. Didn't matter yesterday but it did against Sunderland which could be absolutely huge if we finish 2 points behind them in third comewhat May.
  • Options
    according to yesterday's 'Sun', this season, we have been awarded by far the most penalties of any of the 92 .. two more than any other club, as of yesterday .. we now have been awarded 8 .. tribute to our attacking prowess and trickery and to fair and consistent refereeing ? .. a far cry from years gone by when it seemed that we'd get one every two and a half seasons, pre Mendonca days that is
  • Options
    Didn’t go y’day but have really enjoyed reading all the post match views. Really pleased for all the fans that went

• Options
    cabbles said:

Didn’t go y’day but have really enjoyed reading all the post match views. Really pleased for all the fans that went

was a good time .. a good turnout by the Addicks fans .. personally, I met a few I have not seen for ages .. the Shrewsbury fans were reasonably friendly and complimentary about our performance after the game, the weather was OK for January, the CAFC male voice choir was in fine voice and we looked good in all departments where it REALLY counts, i.e. on the pitch .. as good days go .. 10/10 and A*
  • Options

Imagine if Karlan had scored a hat-trick yesterday, which he could easily have done. We'd probably be panicking that someone would buy him before the window closes.

other than his finishing, and the Shrews keeper needs some credit for keeping him out, he was in terrific nick .. he loves playing with Taylor and vice versa and as I alluded to above, his confidence looks sky high and despite the 'misses' he didn't get 'gun shy' but kept on shooting
  • Options
    I think it was only the third chance when Karlan should have scored. The goalie grounded himself, and if Grant kept running with the ball he would’ve faced an empty net.
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:

I think it was only the third chance when Karlan should have scored. The goalie grounded himself, and if Grant kept running with the ball he would’ve faced an empty net.

I disagree, the one where their midfielder puts him through was a golden chance too.

The other two are unlucky, the header and shot was decent. Shot wasn't the best but by no means a sitter. The other one is tough where the keeper is running out at him. But the two one on one's where he had more time should have been scored.
  • Options

JamesSeed said:

I disagree, the one where their midfielder puts him through was a golden chance too.

The other two are unlucky, the header and shot was decent. Shot wasn't the best but by no means a sitter. The other one is tough where the keeper is running out at him. But the two one on one's where he had more time should have been scored.
    I used to love a keeper running out at me.

Just drop a shoulder, go the other way and speed up past him.
    You can walk the ball into an empty net.

And if he flattens you, he's red carded.

• Options
    Oggy Red said:

JamesSeed said:

I used to love a keeper running out at me.

Just drop a shoulder, go the other way and speed up past him.
    You can walk the ball into an empty net.

And if he flattens you, he's red carded.

Me too. It seemed so simple in Sunday League ;-)