Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Shrewsbury v Charlton - Post Match Views

Comments

• Options
    One thing which I've not seen mentioned.
    Shrewsbury didn't close us down.
    It's the same every game, let us play and we'll probably beat you.
    Close us down and make our passing game more difficult and we won't be as good.
  • Options
    Tell you who was good on those bursting through one on ones, Darren Bent, and Jason Euell wasn't too shabby either.
  • Options

I thought Shrewsbury lb was also very good, gave solly lots of issues imo

I thought that, we was saying Shrewsbury are famous for producing the countries top ginger players.
    Isn’t he the lad they signed from Coventry? He looked very good for them when he broke into their first team
  • Options

according to yesterday's 'Sun', this season, we have been awarded by far the most penalties of any of the 92 .. two more than any other club, as of yesterday .. we now have been awarded 8 .. tribute to our attacking prowess and trickery and to fair and consistent refereeing ? .. a far cry from years gone by when it seemed that we'd get one every two and a half seasons, pre Mendonca days that is

Even better, 10 according to here, 8 is the number scored. I assume that’s league games only, and we’ve had at least 1 in cup games when Stevenson got his hat trick.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/league-one/topErhalteneElfmeter/wettbewerb/GB3/plus/?saison_id=2018

Last season the most was 9, and we only got 2.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/league-one/topErhalteneElfmeter/wettbewerb/GB3/plus/?saison_id=2017
  • Options

Can’t believe I didn’t see you Fanny! X

You couldn't miss fanny yesterday,
    Bright red coat on.
    The wife reckons fanny doesn't look a day over 55.
  • Options

I thought Shrewsbury lb was also very good, gave solly lots of issues imo

I thought that, we was saying Shrewsbury are famous for producing the countries top ginger players.
    Isn’t he the lad they signed from Coventry? He looked very good for them when he broke into their first team
    he is .. with respect to Page and Purrington, he'd do a right good job for us
  • Options
    Of the penalties at home, none have been in front of the covered end in league games.
  • Options
    Looking at the remaining fixtures, when it comes to the crunch time at the end of the season, the team that we all should be hoping does us a favour are Burton.

Burton’s final 7 games of the season:
    Sunderland (A)
    Barnsley (H)
    Scunthorpe (A)
    Portsmouth (H)
    Southend (A)
    Luton (H)
    Peterborough (A)

We also play them at home on Tuesday 12th March, just over two weeks before they play Sunderland. If we were to beat Burton, and I know all of this is a long way away yet, we could put ourselves in a good position as they could really be pivotal in who finishes where in the league.
  • Options
    Ajose is in the squad to score the decisive goal when we beat Pompey away. Job done, this season and last so he can leave now.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Pwr as just back at the hotel after celebrating with a lovely meal and numerous drinkies...hic.

Great performance from the lads after a strong first 20 mins or so from the Shrews.

LOVE the attitude and fight these boys showed today! All 14 deserved MOTM today but special plaudits for our new midfielder JS or as I call him, Max Branning.

Our Karlan had a torrid time in front of goal but
    clb74 said:

Can’t believe I didn’t see you Fanny! X

You couldn't miss fanny yesterday,
    Bright red coat on.
    The wife reckons fanny doesn't look a day over 55.
    Aw, bless her !

( Where do I send the flowers ?)
  • Options
    Sage said:

Looking at the remaining fixtures, when it comes to the crunch time at the end of the season, the team that we all should be hoping does us a favour are Burton.

Sunderland (A)
    Barnsley (H)
    Scunthorpe (A)
    Portsmouth (H)
    Southend (A)
    Luton (H)
    Peterborough (A)

We also play them at home on Tuesday 12th March, just over two weeks before they play Sunderland. If we were to beat Burton, and I know all of this is a long way away yet, we could put ourselves in a good position as they could really be pivotal in who finishes where in the league.

Quick, loan them Ajose.
  • Options
    Redrobo said:

Sage said:

Sunderland (A)
    Barnsley (H)
    Scunthorpe (A)
    Portsmouth (H)
    Southend (A)
    Luton (H)
    Peterborough (A)

Quick, loan them Ajose.
    Well we know he’d do the business against Portsmouth so that’s at least something.
  • Options
    Good performance yesterday but I’m not as confident of automatics as many people here.

We could be as low as 6th and eight points off autos when everyone plays their games in hand.
  • Options
    The same people talking us up , will they be calling it a massive failure if we don't get promoted
  • Options

Good performance yesterday but I’m not as confident of automatics as many people here.

We could be as low as 6th and eight points off autos when everyone plays their games in hand.

Cheers.
    I was just off to bed. I won’t sleep now :-(
  • Options
    Ryan 'Ginger Ronaldo' Haynes looked better than any left sided player we have.

Weird one though because I was so impressed by his performance I thought I would look for some opinions on him, apparently he wasn't very good for Coventry in league 2 and wasn't played much. A lot of them weren't fussed to see him go.

So he's either had a one off good game against us or having a bad spell at Coventry gave him a wake up call.
  • Options

Ironically with Williams and Taylor we have the players to make a success of 4231.

And Bowyer would play it if he thought it was right for a particular game even if he's a two striker man.

Cullen or Bielik plus Aribo as the 2, Fosu, Williams, Grant the 3, and Taylor.
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:

RedChaser said:

PWR

At the match;

Breezy conditions, grey skies and a temperature of 9* greeted me as I parked up 10 minutes from the ground. Listening to BBC Radio Shropshire I learnt Williams was due to start as was Purrington with Maxwell on the bench. For the Shrews they had their old boy Edwards back. The former Wolves player however was also on the bench.

Both teams favour a diamond formation but it looked as if Bielik was dropping into a back three with Bauer centre and Sarr left early on with Solly and Purrington pushed on in a four man midfield with Williams working his magic just behind Taylor and Grant.

The home team weren't afraid to attack but they had little cutting edge. Having said that Phillips had to be alert to prevent a cert goal from a close range header with Purrington beaten in the air at the far stick. Dills fantastic reaction stop with his foot was as good as a goal at the other end which often gets overlooked. Our front two were up for it and their defenders knew it was going to be a tough afternoon as Taylor's powerful hold up play and Grant's pace created havoc. Williams was like a breath of fresh air with his quick feet, surging runs and threaded passes, hope Fosu can learn from him with his decision making.

G&T (Grant & Taylor) had been trying their luck and from one turbo boost by Grant his snap shot from 20 yards was just tipped round by Arnold. From the resultant corner by Morgan the ball seemed to glance off a head and onto the far post where Taylor tidied up 1-0 to the Londoners on 25 mins. Dills was again called into action and got down well to keep out a rasping shot inside his left hand post; HT 1-0

Second half no changes and with the wind at our back. How do I know this? because their keeper couldn't keep the ball on the island as he kept passing to the dugouts to his left to constant cries from the travelling faithful of DEANO, DEANO, DEANO :smiley: . That all important second was the order at half time no doubt and we were very much in the ascendancy. Sure enough it came in the 55th minute and no other than that pantomime villain Darren Pratley was the scorer. After great hold up play from by Taylor from a cross by Williams, I think, he laid it off to Dazza to hit a right to left bender past the despairing dive of Arnold and into the onion bag 2-0 to the Londoners. How delighted Pratley was in front of his 'adoring' fans. Having doubled our lead, Lapslie almost immediately entered the fray to provide more energy and defensive cover for the tiring Morgan.

We should have been out of sight had Grant converted any of the three one on one chances he spurned and we had to wait until the 80th minute for him to finally break his duck. Having burst away from the half way line he was felled in the box and converted the chance he had created much to his obvious relief and delight. It appeared that Taylor gave him the ball and encouraged him to join him on the scoresheet. 3-0 to the Londoners.

Marshall came on for man of the match Williams, who had given his all and Dijksteel for Bielik, late on to preserve our prized assets.

The best team won today and were clear daylight better than last years play-off losers albeit their smaller line up from a changed personnel and Manager bears little resemblance. Well done to 500 plus addicks who were in fine voice. Fleetwood next up for me COYRs!

That's all well and good but "Dills"? Wtf?
    Exactly. It should have been Dills's or Dills'.
    Never Dills’ unless we’ve got two or three of them in goal.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    seth plum said:

Tell you who was good on those bursting through one on ones, Darren Bent, and Jason Euell wasn't too shabby either.

When the USA football legend Bradley Wright-Phillips had the 20+ goal season in the 3rd tier, I remember one game at the valley when he failed to score four 1 on 1's.

The difference with Grant is he can still contribute with his pace and work rate but Bradley either scored or was totally ineffective. I feel the run from his own half which won the penalty typifies the new Karlan Grant where KAG would have messed up the flick which started off the move.
  • Options

JamesSeed said:

RedChaser said:

PWR

At the match;

Breezy conditions, grey skies and a temperature of 9* greeted me as I parked up 10 minutes from the ground. Listening to BBC Radio Shropshire I learnt Williams was due to start as was Purrington with Maxwell on the bench. For the Shrews they had their old boy Edwards back. The former Wolves player however was also on the bench.

Both teams favour a diamond formation but it looked as if Bielik was dropping into a back three with Bauer centre and Sarr left early on with Solly and Purrington pushed on in a four man midfield with Williams working his magic just behind Taylor and Grant.

The home team weren't afraid to attack but they had little cutting edge. Having said that Phillips had to be alert to prevent a cert goal from a close range header with Purrington beaten in the air at the far stick. Dills fantastic reaction stop with his foot was as good as a goal at the other end which often gets overlooked. Our front two were up for it and their defenders knew it was going to be a tough afternoon as Taylor's powerful hold up play and Grant's pace created havoc. Williams was like a breath of fresh air with his quick feet, surging runs and threaded passes, hope Fosu can learn from him with his decision making.

G&T (Grant & Taylor) had been trying their luck and from one turbo boost by Grant his snap shot from 20 yards was just tipped round by Arnold. From the resultant corner by Morgan the ball seemed to glance off a head and onto the far post where Taylor tidied up 1-0 to the Londoners on 25 mins. Dills was again called into action and got down well to keep out a rasping shot inside his left hand post; HT 1-0

Second half no changes and with the wind at our back. How do I know this? because their keeper couldn't keep the ball on the island as he kept passing to the dugouts to his left to constant cries from the travelling faithful of DEANO, DEANO, DEANO :smiley: . That all important second was the order at half time no doubt and we were very much in the ascendancy. Sure enough it came in the 55th minute and no other than that pantomime villain Darren Pratley was the scorer. After great hold up play from by Taylor from a cross by Williams, I think, he laid it off to Dazza to hit a right to left bender past the despairing dive of Arnold and into the onion bag 2-0 to the Londoners. How delighted Pratley was in front of his 'adoring' fans. Having doubled our lead, Lapslie almost immediately entered the fray to provide more energy and defensive cover for the tiring Morgan.

We should have been out of sight had Grant converted any of the three one on one chances he spurned and we had to wait until the 80th minute for him to finally break his duck. Having burst away from the half way line he was felled in the box and converted the chance he had created much to his obvious relief and delight. It appeared that Taylor gave him the ball and encouraged him to join him on the scoresheet. 3-0 to the Londoners.

Marshall came on for man of the match Williams, who had given his all and Dijksteel for Bielik, late on to preserve our prized assets.

The best team won today and were clear daylight better than last years play-off losers albeit their smaller line up from a changed personnel and Manager bears little resemblance. Well done to 500 plus addicks who were in fine voice. Fleetwood next up for me COYRs!

No quite true.

You can say:
    James’ Aussies
    Or James’s Aussies.
    Rule applies when last letter is an ‘s’.
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:

JamesSeed said:

RedChaser said:

PWR

At the match;

Not quite true.

You can say:
    James’ Aussies
    Or James’s Aussies.
    Rule applies when last letter is an ‘s’.
    Fixed :wink: .
  • Options

Great result. Currently watching Chris Tarrant Extreme Railway Journeys - what a day to support Charlton.

Proper Charlton!
  • Options
    First half even. Two good saves from our keeper. Second half, totally dominant. Should have had at least six. Best 45 minutes I've seen for ages away from home. The only shame is that only 600 made the trip. I am boycotting home games, but days like this remind me what I am missing, so Roland please will you just fcuk off asap?

Good to see you all chaps, and looking forward to a few more days out before the end of the season.
  • Options
    edited January 2019
  • Options
    Sage said:

Sunderland (A)
    Barnsley (H)
    Scunthorpe (A)
    Portsmouth (H)
    Southend (A)
    Luton (H)
    Peterborough (A)

And if Burton should win all those games :smile: ...... they might just make the play offs. Dark horse.

#not going to happen though
  • Options
    edited January 2019

Worst case scenario?

Teams around us have to play each other .....and us.
    Dog eat dog. They'll be dropping points to each other, both teams can't win.

It's up to us to make sure we don't drop too many ourselves.

As Bowyer says, it's in our own hands.
  • Options

The same people talking us up , will they be calling it a massive failure if we don't get promoted

Bowyer is the one talking us up.

I just hang on to his every word :wink: