Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Old South Terrace.

Comments

• Options
    Not south terrace related but I can't find any pictures of the old main stand when it had a standing enclosure to the front. Does anyone know when the seats were installed or have any pictures to share?
  • Options
    Here you go @Ashers

• Options
    Why are they wearing my old PE shorts ?
  • Options
    Yes, the old Valley bogs were one step up from throwing the contents of chamber pots out of the window and into the street.
  • Options
    Remember standing on the South terrace in the late 50's with my dad and you could not move during the game as it was packed, (where I watched the 7-6 game). When I took my boys in the late 70's, if the game was boring they use to play on the empty parts, so sad
  • Options

Here you go @Ashers

Cheer stockportaddick - appreciate that.
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    Ashers said:

Not south terrace related but I can't find any pictures of the old main stand when it had a standing enclosure to the front. Does anyone know when the seats were installed or have any pictures to share?

The seats were installed in 1950. I believe it also meant the terrace in the NW corner had to be lowered to preserve the sight lines.

The land which enabled Bartram Close and Valiant House to be built was sold off in 1968.

For the benefit of younger readers, the land used by the houses in Valley Grove which abut the main car park was also part of The Valley until about 1994.
  • Options

Fac 3rd round against Portsmouth 1975? Was easily the most people I saw in that end, far more than would be allowed these days. All you could see were a sea of faces.

I seem to recall 10k being the number for that match.

We were discussing that game in a Pompey thread a few weeks ago. The gate in total was 26,300, so I suppose 10k is feasible, although away fans were not counted separately AFAIK in those days. That's because you could go through any turnstile and stand anywhere. That's the thing. At half time I wandered round there to find my buddies from Pompey (I was at Poly there then), and found them very easily. Once there, there was far more space than I imagined when looking at them from the Covered End. But as i learn from the posts above, at this time the terrace had already been reduced in size.

Incidentally we had played Pompey, who were bottom, on Boxing Day, (like seven days earlier) and the gate was only 10,300. One of my mates didn't attend that game, but when he heard the result (3-1) Pompey, stuffed his girlfriend in the car next day and drove all the way up to Eltham to sit in my parents living room with me and take the piss. Of course after the Cup replay (3-0 to us) he made himself very scarce, for several weeks afterwards.

Fac 3rd round against Portsmouth 1975? Was easily the most people I saw in that end, far more than would be allowed these days. All you could see were a sea of faces.

We were discussing that game in a Pompey thread a few weeks ago. The gate in total was 26,300, so I suppose 10k is feasible, although away fans were not counted separately AFAIK in those days. That's because you could go through any turnstile and stand anywhere. That's the thing. At half time I wandered round there to find my buddies from Pompey (I was at Poly there then), and found them very easily. Once there, there was far more space than I imagined when looking at them from the Covered End. But as i learn from the posts above, at this time the terrace had already been reduced in size.

Incidentally we had played Pompey, who were bottom, on Boxing Day, (like seven days earlier) and the gate was only 10,300. One of my mates didn't attend that game, but when he heard the result (3-1) Pompey, stuffed his girlfriend in the car next day and drove all the way up to Eltham to sit in my parents living room with me and take the piss. Of course after the Cup replay (3-0 to us) he made himself very scarce, for several weeks afterwards.

I'm amazed there was space on there. There certainly didn't look like it from the Covered End. Just goes to show how much space the was on the old terracing.

Quite embarrassing that we only took about 300 to the replay. Bloody good night though.
  • Options

The south terrace is bigger than the covered end.

Cracking shot this is, I have this framed.
    Snap. Probably my favourite picture of The Valley.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

The south terrace is bigger than the covered end.

Cracking shot this is, I have this framed.
    Snap. Probably my favourite picture of The Valley.
    Like.
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    Oggy Red said:

I can recall back in the 60s/early 70s there was a bit of fairly flat land high up at the back of it and around the corner towards the grandstand, with a single goalmouth, with posts painted white. Must have been a practice area at a time when the team always trained at The Valley.

I remember that.
  • Options

I first entered The Valley in early 1958.....I entered by the Sam Bartram entrance.
    I distinctly remember the awe as a impressionable 10 year old when I arrived and stood by the old score board.....can you imagine how I felt. I had never been in a place remotely like it, it was simply huge, I couldn’t believe what I was seeing and from that moment I was hooked.....oh yes, this is a bit of me I thought and to think the players were still in the dressing rooms!
    My beloved Valley....my beloved home from home, my maker of dreams.
    Over the ensuing years I got to know every god damn inch of it.....no one can ever take those moments away from me, not for one minute, not for one second.

Fantastic post this.
    Eight years later and I saw my first game and I echo everything you say
  • Options

Ashers said:

The seats were installed in 1950. I believe it also meant the terrace in the NW corner had to be lowered to preserve the sight lines.

The land which enabled Bartram Close and Valiant House to be built was sold off in 1968.

For the benefit of younger readers, the land used by the houses in Valley Grove which abut the main car park was also part of The Valley until about 1994.
    Thanks for that Airman - I didn't realise that the seats arrived as late as 1950.
  • Options

This is a picture of the South stand on 15/11/75. I took a screen shot from the Youtube video of the Sunderland game in that year. I note the block of flats was under construction at the time, but not sure if that was originally part of the Valley.

I did put this link on after this years Sunderland game, there are shots of the ground all round before KO. Worth a watch for some of the old favourites, a Derek Hales sending off and a pitch invasion. Ah the good old days eh?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jn9DO1cT_h8&t=55s

My first ever Charlton match - the start of the love affair.
  • Options

Here you go @Ashers

Bartram's hair looks uncannily like the terraces.
  • Options

Yes, the old Valley bogs were one step up from throwing the contents of chamber pots out of the window and into the street.

Better than the present ones then?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited January 2019

Here you go @Ashers

Is that our main stand ?
    If so never knew there was a terraced bit in front of it , always thought the seats went to the front .
  • Options

Same, was there, 4th round though
  • Options
    SE7toSG3 said:

Historically, if the South Terrace or Laundry End as it was once called had become the traditional home end, it would undoubtedly become very famous and would have been amazing to have seen full, sadly I am only old enough to remember it as the Fads end.

This end of the ground was also called The Heights it made The Valley look like a bowl ,from what i remember The Heights end terrace went back almost as much as the east terrace before being reduced about 1969.

SIMON INGLIS states in his book at the time of the record attendance against Aston Villa 75031 the ground still had more room and its probable that its capacity was around 80000.

Don Welsh stated in sept 1974 that the attendance sometimes was 10000 people under the ture amount.

In answer to the question at its biggest 25000 The Heights and East Terrace 40000
  • Options
    I only remember standing (at the very back) on the South terrace in a game against Leeds in 1964. Can’t remember why as my Dad and I used to stand in the East terrace normally and I just checked and there were only 21k there that day.
  • Options

This is a picture of the South stand on 15/11/75. I took a screen shot from the Youtube video of the Sunderland game in that year. I note the block of flats was under construction at the time, but not sure if that was originally part of the Valley.

I did put this link on after this years Sunderland game, there are shots of the ground all round before KO. Worth a watch for some of the old favourites, a Derek Hales sending off and a pitch invasion. Ah the good old days eh?

Thanks for posting this video @Raith_C_Chattonell - I am pretty sure I was at this game with my brother and sister. But seeing it again has reminded me of a time, many years later, that I was at a dinner where the after dinner speaker was Brian Moore. He gave an interesting talk about his time as a cricketer and footballer and how his career took him into journalism and football in particular. He then did a Q&A. One of the questions was "did you ever make any bad errors while commentating?"

He mentioned two mistakes he made throughout his career that he always remembered with a cringe. The worst, he said, was during the 1998 World Cup, when England were knocked out on penalties. David Batty was about to step up and Moore said to his co-commentator, Kevin Keegan, "do you back him to score, yes or no?" Keegan obviously had to say "yes" - and we know what immediately happened.

The other mistake he cringed at remembering was at this very game, Charlton v Sunderland. It was the only time in Moore's career that he missed a player being sent off. In his defence, he said that the floodlights were so poor at the Valley (which is obvious if you look at the clip) that he simply didn't see Hales trudging off the pitch.

If you listen carefully to the incident - and I am hoping someone with greater knowledge of audio visual newsgathering, like @JamesSeed can confirm this - the bit where he describes the sending off is inserted, post-production, probably a few minnutes after kick off, once someone had told him what had happened.

Lovely, self-effacing man, who took ribbing in very good spirit. And it was very good of him to admit what was an embarrassing error.
  • Options
    Chizz said:

Thanks for posting this video @Raith_C_Chattonell - I am pretty sure I was at this game with my brother and sister. But seeing it again has reminded me of a time, many years later, that I was at a dinner where the after dinner speaker was Brian Moore. He gave an interesting talk about his time as a cricketer and footballer and how his career took him into journalism and football in particular. He then did a Q&A. One of the questions was "did you ever make any bad errors while commentating?"

He mentioned two mistakes he made throughout his career that he always remembered with a cringe. The worst, he said, was during the 1998 World Cup, when England were knocked out on penalties. David Batty was about to step up and Moore said to his co-commentator, Kevin Keegan, "do you back him to score, yes or no?" Keegan obviously had to say "yes" - and we know what immediately happened.

The other mistake he cringed at remembering was at this very game, Charlton v Sunderland. It was the only time in Moore's career that he missed a player being sent off. In his defence, he said that the floodlights were so poor at the Valley (which is obvious if you look at the clip) that he simply didn't see Hales trudging off the pitch.

If you listen carefully to the incident - and I am hoping someone with greater knowledge of audio visual newsgathering, like @JamesSeed can confirm this - the bit where he describes the sending off is inserted, post-production, probably a few minnutes after kick off, once someone had told him what had happened.

Lovely, self-effacing man, who took ribbing in very good spirit. And it was very good of him to admit what was an embarrassing error.
    Nice bit of video there.

I’m sure the floodlights were poor, but that would be exacerbated by the cameras used at that time, which weren’t as sensitive as they are now.

They would have dropped in the extra bit of commentary during the edit. They wouldn’t have needed to record that audio at the ground, as the commentator’s audio was recorded clean (ie no crowd effects) in situ. That meant adding commentary during the edit wouldn’t produce a noticeable change in the sound.
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:

Chizz said:

Nice bit of video there.

I’m sure the floodlights were poor, but that would be exacerbated by the cameras used at that time, which weren’t as sensitive as they are now.

They would have dropped in the extra bit of commentary during the edit. They wouldn’t have needed to record that audio at the ground, as the commentator’s audio was recorded clean (ie no crowd effects) in situ. That meant adding commentary during the edit wouldn’t produce a noticeable change in the sound.
    To your experienced ear, does it sound like that's what happened? If so, it would tend to confirm Brian Moore's story several decades later.