Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Old South Terrace.

Comments

• Options
    interesting comments from Rangers forum about The Valley - I think most of them get the history.

https://www.followfollow.com/forum/threads/picture-of-charltons-ground-they-valley-when-it-was-abandonded.105108/

Are there any pictures anywhere of the weird little standalone terrace that ended up behind the floodlight pylon in the north west corner?
    Really enjoyed reading the Rangers take on us
  • Options
    On the subject of the old Valley toilet facilities - my first game was in 1976 (can’t remember who it was against) - Dad took me by train from Dartford - walked down to ground and to back of West Stand - I said I wanted a pee - we walked over to these grey concrete block walls with no roof - Dad told me to roll my flared trousers up above my knees, and I entered what I can only describe as a vision of hell - there was a piss trough along the floor, but the whole floor was awash with piss, and the stink was unbelievable - added to that the smell of beer and fags, it was awful - I think those bogs were next to the Covered End

And yet I begged Dad to take me back to watch Charlton again and again !!!

That was however the only time I used those bogs - instead I would to top of East Terrace and have pee up there !!
    So that's why the bloody concrete crumbled!
  • Options
    I just used to pee into the pocket of the guy in front of me.

Mind you, I had to have a good aim and get some distance when the crowd was sub 8,000.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    On the subject of the old Valley toilet facilities - my first game was in 1976 (can’t remember who it was against) - Dad took me by train from Dartford - walked down to ground and to back of West Stand - I said I wanted a pee - we walked over to these grey concrete block walls with no roof - Dad told me to roll my flared trousers up above my knees, and I entered what I can only describe as a vision of hell - there was a piss trough along the floor, but the whole floor was awash with piss, and the stink was unbelievable - added to that the smell of beer and fags, it was awful - I think those bogs were next to the Covered End

That was however the only time I used those bogs - instead I would to top of East Terrace and have pee up there !!
    It was just me - plenty of others used to do it !!!
  • Options
    All that pee cascading down the terraces, must have looked like a SE7 version of Niagara.
  • Options
    edited January 2021

I used to be fascinated on a dismal, cold, grey winters afternoon (particularly at full time as dusk was just setting in), watching the steaming piss rising up into the mist.....floodlit games were even more impressive, as the glint from the lights lit up the unforgettable imagery like a movie set.
    The smell, mixed together with the odd whiff or two of Elliman’s Horse Liniment from the dressing rooms was shall we say, unique.
    Ah.....happy days.
    I wonder if dear old Tom Morris ever got a iconic picture or two of that scene....knowing what a gentleman he was, I would guess not!
  • Options
    Never forget when Everton came to us for a cup match,they completely took over the South Terrace,must have been 15-20 000,Evertonians there that day,It was 2-2,I think Willie Duff got sent off for chinning someone.It really was a spectacle to see it full,I used to get there 2 hours before Kick off to get down the front.From experience the only terrace to come close was the old Holt end at Villa Park.
    It was Dave Hickson their Centre Forward. 
  • Options
    Sorry.   Just seen a couple of pages back already been mentioned.
  • Options
    Never forget when Everton came to us for a cup match,they completely took over the South Terrace,must have been 15-20 000,Evertonians there that day,It was 2-2,I think Willie Duff got sent off for chinning someone.It really was a spectacle to see it full,I used to get there 2 hours before Kick off to get down the front.From experience the only terrace to come close was the old Holt end at Villa Park.
    It was Dave Hickson their Centre Forward. 
    Hickson went out like a light!
    As Willie walked off, he passed the referee, ripped off his shirt and threw it in the refs face.....would have been banned for months nowadays for that.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    interesting comments from Rangers forum about The Valley - I think most of them get the history.

https://www.followfollow.com/forum/threads/picture-of-charltons-ground-they-valley-when-it-was-abandonded.105108/

Are there any pictures anywhere of the weird little standalone terrace that ended up behind the floodlight pylon in the north west corner?
    Enjoyed reading that and intrigued that a poster on there (cradle to grave) ran a pub in Eltham around the time or leading up to our return to the valley.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

When we were really young we used to play runouts in the ground there was that much space - one game we started to pick the moss out of the crumbling terraces at the back of the east and was lobbing it down onto people - until a copper collared us and has to stand with Dad for the rest of the game anc actually watch the match - nearly put me off going 
  • Options
    edited January 2021

Enjoyed reading that and intrigued that a poster on there (cradle to grave) ran a pub in Eltham around the time or leading up to our return to the valley.
    possibly Jock (Malcom Stewart) who ran the MoK and St Georges football teams. He was a Rangers man.
  • Options

possibly Jock (Malcom Stewart) who ran the MoK and St Georges football teams. He was a Rangers man.
    Thought of Jock but always think of him at (many) clubs like butterfly rather than pubs.
    Didnt know he had the man of Kent. 
  • Options
    We hired a pitch from him out the back of butterfly one year about 25 years ago - one floodlight and one piece of stringy grass that seemed to wrap its way all around the pitch - worst I ever played at just topping a gravel pitch in east London somewhere which came with its own tramps 
  • Options
    Jock ran in the mid 80s the Valley Leisure Centre off Avery Hill Rd down near by where Metrogas ground is now. I’d be surprised if he was alive and contributing on football forums now. 
  • Options
    ‘Being in Mottingham I tended to lean towards Millwall myself.’

Wtf is this Cnut implying No no no no no no no 
  • Options

There are a few around. I think it’s like moving to the country for them.
  • Options
    edited January 2021

There are a few around. I think it’s like moving to the country for them.
    Cool, I was right to move out in 1997 although 9 years in Sidcup followed and that had a scum feel to it ....
    Its ok though now in Epping, surrounded by Spurs and West Ham 🙄
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Jock ran in the mid 80s the Valley Leisure Centre off Avery Hill Rd down near by where Metrogas ground is now. I’d be surprised if he was alive and contributing on football forums now. 
    Jock of Butterflies, Valley Leisure, Coldharbour etc is sadly long gone, and certainly not posting on Rangers forums...
  • Options
    Jock of Butterflies, Valley Leisure, Coldharbour etc is sadly long gone, and certainly not posting on Rangers forums...
    A heart of gold had Jock. 
  • Options
    How big could the Jimmy seed stand be these days?.
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    If made two tier I’d say 6,000.........maybe even 7,000.
    If they wanted to put executive boxes in, that figure would reduce considerably.
  • Options
    If they wanted to put executive boxes in, that figure would reduce considerably.
    So 30,111? Or 31,111? 
  • Options
    Or do you mean 33,111?.
  • Options
    No the current capacity is 27,111 of which about 3,000 is the current Jimmy Seed stand so if it's increased to 6,000 or 7,000 then it will be 30,111 or 31,111. 
  • Options
    iaitch said:
    No the current capacity is 27,111 of which about 3,000 is the current Jimmy Seed stand so if it's increased to 6,000 or 7,000 then it will be 30,111 or 31,111. 
    Ok.
  • Options
    Why did they decide to build the South Stand back then, rather than keep a terrace?
    Glikstein had some wacky all seater ground idea, and we were all meant to help fund it by selling scratch cards.
    Jimmy Hill was on the board at the time and he was a big advocate of all seater grounds. The plan back then was to make The Valley an all seater but not cover the east terrace. I wrote to Jimmy Hill back in the day giving my opinion. He wrote back saying it wasn't his idea.
    I know this post is two years old but only just seen it.

This isn't right, is it? Jimmy Hill was on the board in the mid-80's in the Sunley era. The stand at the south end of the ground was built before then - late 70's.
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    Why did they decide to build the South Stand back then, rather than keep a terrace?
    Glikstein had some wacky all seater ground idea, and we were all meant to help fund it by selling scratch cards.
    Jimmy Hill was on the board at the time and he was a big advocate of all seater grounds. The plan back then was to make The Valley an all seater but not cover the east terrace. I wrote to Jimmy Hill back in the day giving my opinion. He wrote back saying it wasn't his idea.
    I know this post is two years old but only just seen it.

This isn't right, is it? Jimmy Hill was on the board in the mid-80's in the Sunley era. The stand at the south end of the ground was built before then - late 70's.
    Agreed, the plan to make the The Valley all seater (the putting of seats in the Covered End and the building of the Jimmy Seed Stand) was in the earlier 80s. Hill joined the board in 84/85.

Hill did make Highfield Road all seater when chairman of Coventry