Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Old South Terrace.

Comments

• Options
    Obviously I
    Mametz said:

Acab said:

Never forget when Everton came to us for a cup match,they completely took over the South Terrace,must have been 15-20 000,Evertonians there that day,It was 2-2,I think Willie Duff got sent off for chinning someone.It really was a spectacle to see it full,I used to get there 2 hours before Kick off to get down the front.From experience the only terrace to come close was the old Holt end at Villa Park.

A scouse mate was at the replay which we lost 4-1 in thick fog. Remarkable was the fact that 74,000 plus were inside goodison Park that night, still a record for an evening fa cup game.
    I realise that I am being a pedant but the FA Cup Final replays in 1981, 1983 and 1990 all exceeded that figure.
    Mametz said:

Acab said:

Never forget when Everton came to us for a cup match,they completely took over the South Terrace,must have been 15-20 000,Evertonians there that day,It was 2-2,I think Willie Duff got sent off for chinning someone.It really was a spectacle to see it full,I used to get there 2 hours before Kick off to get down the front.From experience the only terrace to come close was the old Holt end at Villa Park.

A scouse mate was at the replay which we lost 4-1 in thick fog. Remarkable was the fact that 74,000 plus were inside goodison Park that night, still a record for an evening fa cup game.
    I realise that I am being a pedant but the FA Cup Final replays in 1981, 1983 and 1990 all exceeded that figure.
    Obviously I should have said at a league ground.
  • Options
    Acab said:

Obviously I

Mametz said:

Acab said:

Mametz said:

Acab said:

Obviously I should have said at a league ground.
    *wanders in*
    *points out that Spurs play their league games at Wembley*
    *scarpers*
  • Options
    Pringle said:

Why did they decide to build the South Stand back then, rather than keep a terrace?

Glikstein had some wacky all seater ground idea, and we were all meant to help fund it by selling scratch cards.
  • Options
    That replay at Goodison used to turn up in the records section of football annuals (like the little News of the World one). I think it was a record for a floodlit tie, it could still be record outside of a final, unless Man Utd have sold out since they expanded OT.

The other one we featured in, which will probably never be broken, is the aggregate for the three cup games with Villa in 1938. It was over 200,000 believe it or not.

We got knocked out of both ties, needless to say.......
  • Options
    Ferryman said:

Are there still any "ghost terraces" at the Valley. I'm pretty sure when we went back in 92 there were still traces of the old south terrace around the edges of the Jimmy Seed - I'd assume they've all been lost now?

Likewise, is the ghost of the East Terrace still underneath the East Stand? I know the top part above the rear walkway is now covered with earth / grass etc but I'd imagine the majority of the concrete steps below that are still there (the cost of removing them would have been enormous). There must also be access to the void beneath the stand somewhere... would love to see it.

Some concrete steps and twisted metal old crash barriers remain under the East Stand. I saw through a small door that's usually locked early 2000's.
    Would love to see this..
  • Options

Ferryman said:

Are there still any "ghost terraces" at the Valley. I'm pretty sure when we went back in 92 there were still traces of the old south terrace around the edges of the Jimmy Seed - I'd assume they've all been lost now?

Likewise, is the ghost of the East Terrace still underneath the East Stand? I know the top part above the rear walkway is now covered with earth / grass etc but I'd imagine the majority of the concrete steps below that are still there (the cost of removing them would have been enormous). There must also be access to the void beneath the stand somewhere... would love to see it.

Some concrete steps and twisted metal old crash barriers remain under the East Stand. I saw through a small door that's usually locked early 2000's.
    Would love to see this..
    Maybe the museum could arrange for a photographer to acces the void, it would make for an interesting subject matter and subsequent photo display IMHO.

• Options
    Ferryman said:

Maybe you'll find crash barriers at Brands Hatch.

But on football ground terraces they are crush barriers .... sorry! :smile:
  • Options
    How did you get into my cellar anyhow? Did you tip the sommelier?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Thought it was where they kept Iain Dowie.
  • Options
    Ferryman said:

Pringle said:

Why did they decide to build the South Stand back then, rather than keep a terrace?

Glikstein had some wacky all seater ground idea, and we were all meant to help fund it by selling scratch cards.
    Jimmy Hill was on the board at the time and he was a big advocate of all seater grounds.

The plan back then was to make The Valley an all seater but not cover the east terrace. I wrote to Jimmy Hill back in the day giving my opinion. He wrote back saying it wasn't his idea.
  • Options
    Was it sold off to the Council then? And for how much?

Also, although there are loads of great photos, is there an aerial one with both terraces before the reduction of the South?

The 1975 one and the sepia one are from the right angle but are ‘too late’. Whilst the one from distance shows the South in full, but not the East.
  • Options

Was it sold off to the Council then? And for how much?

Also, although there are loads of great photos, is there an aerial one with both terraces before the reduction of the South?

The 1975 one and the sepia one are from the right angle but are ‘too late’. Whilst the one from distance shows the South in full, but not the East.

See Chizz's post on page 1 (with The Valley in the top right corner - this shows both terraces at their largest)
  • Options
    Ah yes, the one with the Thames in. I forgot to discount that one as well in my list of exclusions.

Whilst I understand photographing The Valley from an aircraft probably wasn’t anyone’s top priority from 1933ish-1969ish, there must be another photo with a closer view of the ground?
  • Options
    Hasn’t the back of it been sold off there @guinnessaddick ?
  • Options

Yes that is after it has been reduced in size and the wall constructed.
  • Options
    edited January 2019

Pic taken after 1961 as the floodlights are in existence.

You can also see the Valley Club in the bottom right hand corner.

Photo probably taken about 1970.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Just watched the 75 game against Sunderland and brilliant.

I am sure we played them a couple of years later and the there was another pitch invasion from the covered end?
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    Tavern said:

I am sure we played them a couple of years later and the there was another pitch invasion from the covered end?

Yes that was in 1978. It was in response to Sunderland supporters who invaded the pitch from the South Stand at the end of the game and were goading the Charlton supporters.
  • Options
    Mametz said:

Tavern said:

Yes there was in 1978. It was in response to Sunderland supporters who invaded the pitch from the South Stand at the end of the game and were goading the Charlton supporters.
    Cheers It has come back to me now
  • Options
    Agree Fella
  • Options
    Some great pics I hadn't seen before - interesting how different the East Terrace was at the start of and end of 1938.

The best shot though must surely be Gareth Southgate kissing the streaker - this surely deserves more exposure (on many levels).
  • Options
    interesting comments from Rangers forum about The Valley - I think most of them get the history.

https://www.followfollow.com/forum/threads/picture-of-charltons-ground-they-valley-when-it-was-abandonded.105108/

Are there any pictures anywhere of the weird little standalone terrace that ended up behind the floodlight pylon in the north west corner?