Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Old South Terrace.

Comments

• Options

Are there still any "ghost terraces" at the Valley. I'm pretty sure when we went back in 92 there were still traces of the old south terrace around the edges of the Jimmy Seed - I'd assume they've all been lost now?

Likewise, is the ghost of the East Terrace still underneath the East Stand? I know the top part above the rear walkway is now covered with earth / grass etc but I'd imagine the majority of the concrete steps below that are still there (the cost of removing them would have been enormous). There must also be access to the void beneath the stand somewhere... would love to see it.

They had to tear up the East Terrace to get to the chalk layer, & repair the subsidence that caused it to be closed originally. There may be a slight void, but it would be dirt, below the concrete that makes up the stand.
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:

Generations of Sarf Londoners earnt a "little extra" letting people through the turnstiles at the Valley and keeping the money for themselves... It was like a local tax or summit! Rob Lee told me.

It was Robert Lee who was the Charlton turnstile operator (according to popular legend). :smile:

I'm not sure who the Newcastle fella was.
    Not a legend.....he was.

• Options
    bobmunro said:

stonemuse said:

Found a photo.

1976...26,000+ (must of been 10,000 Pompey)....ends 1-1 and we go onto win the replay 3-0 (32,000). Onto the 5th rd and that John Richards hatrick when we took 5,000+ up to Wolverhampton.
    Great memories - we made a terrific noise at Wolves ... such a pity that 'super-sub' Richards came on.
    Great day (apart from the result). Up by train (football special I seem to recall) and then consumed copious amounts of Mitchells and Butlers in Wolverhampton.

Yes there were 2 trains, went with my dad and sister (both RIP) and my sisters husband at the time...Sean Casey.
  • Options
    If memory serves me correct - there were 3 Special trains and loads went up on other scheduled trains.The club wasn't even going to do 1 special train.Some of us convinced them otherwise.
  • Options

If memory serves me correct - there were 3 Special trains and loads went up on other scheduled trains.The club wasn't even going to do 1 special train.Some of us convinced them otherwise.

Maybe, I was only 10 at the time, was an amazing day all the same.
  • Options
    edited January 2019

Never forget when Everton came to us for a cup match,they completely took over the South Terrace,must have been 15-20 000,Evertonians there that day,It was 2-2,I think Willie Duff got sent off for chinning someone.It really was a spectacle to see it full,I used to get there 2 hours before Kick off to get down the front.From experience the only terrace to come close was the old Holt end at Villa Park.

Was at that game 4th round January 1959, it was Dave Hickson who Willie chinned. He'd been niggling him all game so he took the law into his own hands and floored him from a corner late in the game. Lawrie and Summers our scorers but we lost the replay 4-1 after extra time.
  • Options
    edited January 2019

Never forget when Everton came to us for a cup match,they completely took over the South Terrace,must have been 15-20 000,Evertonians there that day,It was 2-2,I think Willie Duff got sent off for chinning someone.It really was a spectacle to see it full,I used to get there 2 hours before Kick off to get down the front.From experience the only terrace to come close was the old Holt end at Villa Park.

Willie Duff decked Dave Hickson....knocked him spark out in fact.
    Willie had grabbed the ball on the goal line in front of the South Terrace and was curled up on his hands and knees....Hickson (who had a reputation as being a dirty bastard) stuck his boot in trying to dislodge the ball.....a furious Willie jumped up like lightning and landed a peach of a right hander knocking Hickman out cold for a minute or two.
    He was of course sent off......on his way to the tunnel he had to walk past the ref and as he did so he took off his green jersey and flung it in the refs face.
    I think John Hewie took over in goal.
    Nowadays Willie would have been banned for months and quite likely have been arrested into the bargain. To say nothing of throwing his shirt at the ref!
    Hickson carried on after a few minutes treatment ......no subs in those days.
    Finished in a 2-2 draw........four days later we lost the replay at Goodison 4-1.
    As the saying goes.....”those were the days”.......January 24th1959 to be precise.

• Sponsored links:

• Options

Willie Duff decked Dave Hickson....knocked him spark out in fact.
    Willie had grabbed the ball on the goal line in front of the South Terrace and was curled up on his hands and knees....Hickson (who had a reputation as being a dirty bastard) stuck his boot in trying to dislodge the ball.....a furious Willie jumped up like lightning and landed a peach of a right hander knocking Hickman out cold for minute or two.
    He was of course sent off......on his way to the tunnel he had to walk past the ref and as he did so he took off his green jersey and flung it in the refs face.
    I think John Hewie took over in goal.
    Nowadays Willie would have been banned for months and quite likely have been arrested into the bargain. To say nothing of throwing his shirt at the ref!
    Hickson carried on after a few minutes......no subs in those days.
    Finished in a 2-2 draw........four days later we lost the replay at Goodison 4-1.
    As the saying goes.....”those were the days”.......January 24th1959 to be precise.

44k at the Valley
    74k at Goodison
  • Options
    Why did they decide to build the South Stand back then, rather than keep a terrace?
  • Options

Another picture of the South terrace circa 1965 - pity some flash harry had to photobomb.

The 'photobomber' looks like Brian Kinsey to me.

I liked those shirts too even though I'm a traditionalist in most things Charlton.

Red at home and wear those away would be good.
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

Another picture of the South terrace circa 1965 - pity some flash harry had to photobomb.

The 'photobomber' looks like Brian Kinsey to me.

I liked those shirts too even though I'm a traditionalist in most things Charlton.

Red at home and wear those away would be good.
    I don’t think that’s Brian.

• Options
    Oggy Red said:

Pringle said:

Why did they decide to build the South Stand back then, rather than keep a terrace?

To stop people getting wet when it rained?

Sure. But they can put a roof on a terrace.
    Just wondered why they went for an all-seater.
  • Options
    Pringle said:

Oggy Red said:

Pringle said:

They did, it wasn’t until the early 80s the seats when in. I think the roofed terrace must have been 2-3 years existed.
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    Pringle said:

Oggy Red said:

Pringle said:

Originally it was a roof on the terrace, it took a long time to go up and we played with a three sided stadium (which still held 50000 ish) while it was being done. It was a couple of years later that Charlton decided to make the whole ground seated.

They seated both ends before Gliksten left and the plan seemed to be forgotten after that in the general chaos that followed. I think the law was changed after the Hampden disaster and that slashed a lot of capacities, there was talk The Valley would be chopped to 13000 or something until it was bought up to scratch. However, I’m not sure that was actually ever enforced given the crowds v Watford and Spurs in the cup around that time, we owned up to more than 20,000 for both of those.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Yes Raith I agree .....I can see it is him now from the colour photo.
    I would never have guessed it though from the first black and white shot.
  • Options
    Back to the Everton cup game,how sad that both the scorers that day were taken from us by cancer so very early.My wife (Girlfriend at the time )and I used to baby sit for Sammy in his club house in Hervey Gardens.Lovely man gutted when he went to Bradford and passed away before he was 40 i believe.
  • Options
    I’m sure I’ve seen film footage when the seats were being installed. Might have been an old itv’s ‘the big match’.
  • Options
    milo said:

Not sure if this picture will attach because I'm not great with computers. Picture of JS stand with terracing

Quite liked it when it was temporarily used as the home end....decent noise under that roof.
  • Options

A scouse mate was at the replay which we lost 4-1 in thick fog. Remarkable was the fact that 74,000 plus were inside goodison Park that night, still a record for an evening fa cup game.
  • Options
    Acab said:

A scouse mate was at the replay which we lost 4-1 in thick fog. Remarkable was the fact that 74,000 plus were inside goodison Park that night, still a record for an evening fa cup game.
    I realise that I am being a pedant but the FA Cup Final replays in 1981, 1983 and 1990 all exceeded that figure.
  • Options
    Mametz said:

Acab said:

I realise that I am being a pedant but the FA Cup Final replays in 1981, 1983 and 1990 all exceeded that figure.
    I don't think for one minute Acab was including finals
  • Options
    milo said:

Not sure if this picture will attach because I'm not great with computers. Picture of JS stand with terracing

JS, I thought that was Mike Bailey :smiley: