Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Kent CCC 2019

Comments

• edited July 2019
    I have an an awful feeling that poor Sam hasn’t seen the last of his injury.....hope I’m wrong of course but the shoulders of a first class wicket keeper are constantly
    coming into contact with the ground from all angles and extensions over and over again.
    Dislocations are a constant threat throughout their career and they are never quite the same again once they are weakened ......psychologically his brain will send him a subconscious signal not to perform an action that might cause the injury again.
    Unless he is able to overcome the inherent human instinct to land in such a way to protect his shoulder he won’t be the same again to the point of being the ‘top top’ class which he was,......I hope for his sake he can.
    I had this problem with a ankle ligament injury and was never quite the same player, I was unable to stick my foot in where I thought it might get injured again.....not cowardice, just my brain telling me for that split second not to perform that action......a world class wicket keeper cannot afford that split second ‘shall I or shan’t I’ delay in his decision making.
    Used to annoy the hell out of me.....Good luck Sam.
    Understand where you are coming from with the psychological aspect.

Derek Ufton managed to play county cricket well enough to win a county cap as a wicket keeper and he dislocated his shoulder regularly.

One hopes Sam will be ok.
  • He is fortunate that as a modern day keeper batsman, he can genuinely play as a batsman only for us this season, especially in the shorter format. And we have in Robinson an excellent deputy
  • We've pretty much decided to make the trip to Canterbury on Friday for the Essex game.....cue a downturn in our fortunes.

Anyone else planning to go ? 
  • We've pretty much decided to make the trip to Canterbury on Friday for the Essex game.....cue a downturn in our fortunes.

Many of those who were going will have changed their mind knowing you’ll be there. :'(

Many of those who were going will have changed their mind knowing you’ll be there. :'(
    No Xmas card for you, pal ! 

But know where you're coming from ....
  • I am thinking of going to either The Oval or Lord's for T20 bash next week. Does anybody know if either game is on Sky so that I can maximise the opportunity of potentially seeing both games (150 mile round journey for me). Thanks
  • PeterGage said:
    I am thinking of going to either The Oval or Lord's for T20 bash next week. Does anybody know if either game is on Sky so that I can maximise the opportunity of potentially seeing both games (150 mile round journey for me). Thanks
    Surrey V Kent scheduled on Tuesday 30th......that’ll be a cracker!!

I miss cricket!!!
    Enjoy my lovely xx
  • Sponsored links:

• NO!!!!!!! :neutral:
  • LenGlover said:
    It was always going to happen sometime unfortunately. Big boots for Grant Stewart, who they presumably see as his successor longterm, to fill.

I hope Stevo can end up with 500 first class wickets for Kent before he goes. I think he's on 487 at the moment.

He has been an unbelievable success for the Club over the past 15 seasons.
    It’s a poor decision in my view.  I was at Southampton last week to see him bowl better than anyone else, by quite some distance, on a flat deck 
  • wmcf123 said:
    LenGlover said:
    It was always going to happen sometime unfortunately. Big boots for Grant Stewart, who they presumably see as his successor longterm, to fill.

I hope Stevo can end up with 500 first class wickets for Kent before he goes. I think he's on 487 at the moment.

It’s a poor decision in my view.  I was at Southampton last week to see him bowl better than anyone else, by quite some distance, on a flat deck 
    I agree that he still has plenty to offer but he wants to play the one day stuff too and Kent don't seem able to offer that.

Derbyshire or whoever will probably bite his hand off for next season.
  • LenGlover said:
    wmcf123 said:
    LenGlover said:

I agree that he still has plenty to offer but he wants to play the one day stuff too and Kent don't seem able to offer that.

Derbyshire or whoever will probably bite his hand off for next season.
    The other thing to bear in mind is that he is probably one of the highest paid - it's probably difficult to justify that for a 44 year old (as he will be next year) who won't be playing one day stuff for us.
  • PeterGage said:
    I am thinking of going to either The Oval or Lord's for T20 bash next week. Does anybody know if either game is on Sky so that I can maximise the opportunity of potentially seeing both games (150 mile round journey for me). Thanks

I shall really miss Stevens trundling up and bowling at 67 mph to another no-hoper batsman who entertains us with a forward defensive.
  • PeterGage said:

I shall really miss Stevens trundling up and bowling at 67 mph to another no-hoper batsman who entertains us with a forward defensive.
    Bring back the flag tool 
  • PeterGage said:

Surrey could do with him actually, especially with 2 teams again being relegated from Div 1 next season  ;)
  • PeterGage said:

Surrey could do with him actually, especially with 2 teams again being relegated from Div 1 next season  ;)

The way that England is going with up to half the squad seemingly coming from Surrey, I still wouldn't want Dumpy Darren anywhere near holding up any of our youngsters.
  • Shame Stevens is leaving. What a fantastic player and servant to the club. Will miss him. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Sam Billings won't now be fit enough to play for Sevenoaks Vine on Saturday or the Kent 2s next week so it remains to be seen when we will see him in the first team.
  • BBC forecast says sunny until 9pm tonight when the rain sets in....

Bought our tickets online to save a tenner & now regretting it. 
  • Sam Billings won't now be fit enough to play for Sevenoaks Vine on Saturday or the Kent 2s next week so it remains to be seen when we will see him in the first team.
    Don't rush back to first team duty, Bilbo. Take the rest of the season off, we've got it covered and we're not getting relegated.

Just let your shoulder heal properly and have a winter strengthening it so that you don't have a problem with it throughout the remainder of your (hopefully long) career.

If you need something to keep you busy for the rest of the summer carry you on working with Sky: Bilbo and Big Bob Key - the Dream Team.
  • BBC forecast says sunny until 9pm tonight when the rain sets in....

Bought our tickets online to save a tenner & now regretting it. 
    Test.
  • So is the weather going to play a part tonight?
  • There is definitely going to be some weather there.