Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post Match Views: Charlton v Accrington: 19 January 2019.

Comments

• Options
    Only at Injury prone Charlton could a home fan slip and injury a Cafc player with an over the top boot in the nuts. If the opposition don't kick our players, our own fans do it.
  • Options
    edited January 2019

JamesSeed said:

Off_it said:
    Are coaches usually on first name terms with the ref?
    I wonder if the ref really said that. I suspect he’s more likely to have said he didn’t see it. If he genuinely didn’t think it was a penalty he would have over-ruled the Lino wouldn’t he?

I thought that, there is no way a ref would say to assistant or coach whatever he is that he didnt think it was a pen.
    I think it was a poor choice of words if he did, but of course, if he didn't give the penalty, he clearly didn't think it was one! He should have said that his assistant had a clear view and felt it definitely was which he was happy to go along with. I would be upset though, as I think it is a matter of interpretation, and if the ref saw it and thought it wasn't, why did he think it wasn't? What did his assistant see that was different.

Personally, I think it was a 70:30 not a penalty. The hand was a bit high and moved to the ball, but the proximity to Reeves and the pace of the ball would have given the defender the benefit of the doubt for me. It does make Lineker's suggestion that any hand ball in the box should be a penalty seem compelling. Under the current rules, the ball clearly hit the defender's arm and a judgement then has to be made, not about that fact, but an estimate of what was in the defender's mind!
  • Options
    Really can’t see Taylor getting his red card rescinded. Unless there’s a much better video than the Sky one I just don’t see it’s clear enough for the panel to rule against the referee.
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:

Bit worried about Williams’s knee

I shouldn't worry. He's got another one. :smile:

• Options
    A strange match. Stanley managed to make it their sort of game, rather than how we want to play, not a nice team to watch but I have no problems with them doing that.

Beforehand I was concerned about playing Cullen and Bielik together in midfield in a must win home match, to me this made us too ponderous, relying too much on the excellent Williams for any creativity, especially as both our full backs are basically old school defensive full backs rather than the more fashionable attacking ones like Da Silva. Indeed if Morgan had been down to start, I'm surprised that Lapslie didn't replace him in midfield to give us some more energy. Reeves made a difference, he can be frustrating at times BUT at this level has real quality on the ball. Fosu was anonymous.

After 80 off minutes of slumber, it suddenly woke up with the melee. Not sure what Taylor did to get the red card, I'd have thought we would have a good chance of a successful appeal. However I do feel that he has been a red card waiting to happen, he plays on the edge and does need to calm down a bit. The way the Stanley players piled in was ridiculous, for what had been a minor infringement, no idea how the referee sent those 2 players off, and didn't take any action against anyone else.

The penalty was harsh, but perfectly reasonable, as his hand was in an unnatural position and rose to the ball. Ridiculous reaction by the Stanley players afterwards, I suspect the FA will be examining this game with interest!

Massive 3 points, a draw and potentially losing Lyle for 3 matches would have been disastrous for morale. Cracking atmosphere at the end, and a ridiculous number of police lining Floyd Road when the only aggro was on the pitch from the Stanley players!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Oggy Red said:

JamesSeed said:

Off_it said:
    I wonder if the ref really said that. I suspect he’s more likely to have said he didn’t see it. If he genuinely didn’t think it was a penalty he would have over-ruled the Lino wouldn’t he?

I thought that, there is no way a ref would say to assistant or coach whatever he is that he didnt think it was a pen.

Personally, I think it was a 70:30 not a penalty. The hand was a bit high and moved to the ball ......
    That's the key point, Muttley.

Hand to ball, it's specified in the Laws of the game.

It is a key point if you deem there was intent. That is the judgement the officials need to make. I think most would have let it go, but it was one that sometimes get given rather than definitely not one - if that makes sense! We were a bit lucky it was given today. Officials are asked to make a judgement and that is what happened.
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:

In the sending off incident, watch their keeper again.

From the corner, Taylor makes a back for the keeper .... but straightaway you can hear the ref blow for a foul.

Taylor falls to the ground, with the keeper falling on top of him.

The game has been stopped before the keeper picks himself up, and as Taylor is getting up, the keeper steps back towards Taylor and pushes him to the ground.

The ruck starts after that.

Probably why they're both sent off then rather than just Taylor for the kick
  • Options
    Didn't we have a dodgy penalty given against us v Peterborough earlier in the season. They say these things usually even themselves out.
  • Options
    They do and that penalty was more dodgy than this IMO.
  • Options
    I would presume what the referee ACTUALLY said was that he didn't himself see the penalty shout clearly enough to make the call himself - but obviously the assistant did and despite what that whinging tosspot might be saying they are ALL officials and all get to make those decisions. If the referee really didn't think it was a penalty, he wouldn't have given it.
  • Options

Really can’t see Taylor getting his red card rescinded. Unless there’s a much better video than the Sky one I just don’t see it’s clear enough for the panel to rule against the referee.

Depends on what the violent conduct was that Taylor was sent off for.
  • Options
    thenewbie said:

I would presume what the referee ACTUALLY said was that he didn't himself see the penalty shout clearly enough to make the call himself - but obviously the assistant did and despite what that whinging tosspot might be saying they are ALL officials and all get to make those decisions. If the referee really didn't think it was a penalty, he wouldn't have given it.

Nor could I imagine him passing the buck and throwing his colleague under the bus like that... If I was the lino and heard what Jimmy Bell claims the ref said then Id be complaining to Busby about not being backed up
  • Options

Had a look at one of the AS fans forums. They seem to think we play dirty.

AS ? Who are they ?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Oggy Red said:

JamesSeed said:

Off_it said:

Personally, I think it was a 70:30 not a penalty. The hand was a bit high and moved to the ball ......
    That's the key point, Muttley.

Hand to ball, it's specified in the Laws of the game.

It is a key point if you deem there was intent.

That is the judgement the officials need to make. I think most would have let it go, but it was one that sometimes get given rather than definitely not one - if that makes sense! We were a bit lucky it was given today. Officials are asked to make a judgement and that is what happened.
    No, it's never been a question of intent.

Lots of 'non-intentional' hand ball incidents happen, but if it's hand to ball, the Laws state that an offence has occurred.

Ball to hand, however, was never deemed to be an offence - but in recent years it has been open to interpretation.

• Options
    I don't think the ref backed up his assistant very well after that decision. A few of their players completely lost it with him and he needed to act to warn them off.
  • Options
    I wondered why Bielik went down in pain towards the final seconds of the game. Getting kicked square in the nuts by one of the home fans will do that.....
  • Options
    Penno all day long.....no question whatsoever.
  • Options

I don't think the ref backed up his assistant very well after that decision. A few of their players completely lost it with him and he needed to act to warn them off.

Reminded me of when we played Exeter in our promotion season... Nardiello thought the ball was over the line, went ballistic at the linesman (less so than any Accrington player today) and was promptly sent off