Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Peterborough v Charlton - Post Match Views

Comments

• Options
    edited January 2019
    Taylor is only out banned for two more matches however he is on 8 yellows and will incur a further ban if he gets two more before the cut off date.
  • Options
    chappers said:

Ok sooty for me readin

chappers said:

Grant waved goodbye at the final whistle. Two distinct but short waves. Only posting as it seems no one else has so far picked up on this. He's on his way.

I saw it more of an apology for missing the pen.
    You what? Sorry but don't see how that correlates
    Blimey! Only commenting on what I thought I saw!
    I should explain myself. Don't mean to cause offence, but waving goodbye is what I saw and waving to fans at full time in acknowledgement of a penalty miss isn't usual (stand to be corrected), and isn't how I interpreted the gesture.
  • Options

Is Grant really leaving though? When did he last score from open play? Do Huddersfield really think he is going to step up to the Premier league level and save them from relegation?

Huddersfield more likely getting Grant for the future & planning for the Championships as looks likely they will be relegated this season.
  • Options
    edited January 2019

I'm not sure Grant is the reason we're doing well. His success is the consequence of the quality around him.

Very much so. He’s been very good this season, but quite a high proportion of his goals have been handed to him on a plate by Taylor. [Edit: probably not quite true].
    What we would miss (IF he is sold) is his pace.
  • Options

If Grant goes next week then that's it for automatic promotion - say goodbye to that once and for all.

Taylor still has four games of his ban left and, let's be honest, is going to miss more games before the end of the season with the yellows he picks up.

You can discount Igor completely, even if he does get fit he is nowhere near the player he was.

That means we need two more strikers in by the end of the deadline who can actually add something to the team and I think we all know that won't happen.

We'll probably end up signing a couple of Premier League kids on loan who will do bugger all and we'll either miss the Play Offs or stumble into them and lose as we did last year.

Last year we went into the second half of the season with only one goal-scoring striker, Maginnis (and he was hardly prolific!) and failed to go up and we are about to make exactly the same mistake again.

We've seen this story before, you can't rely on midfielders to score goals, if they can get them it's a nice bonus but you want your strikers scoring regularly and it's no coincidence that in our three most recent promotions we have had this.

97/98: Mendonca, Bright, Steve Jones.

99/00: Hunt, Mendonca

12/13: Wright-Philips, Kermorgant

Putting all the weight on Taylor is asking for trouble especially as our best goal-scoring midfielder, Aribo, is injured.

I know there is money involved but if he has any say in it then Bowyer has to keep Grant - even if it means losing him for free - because losing him means another season in League One.

Taylor has 2 games left mate - not 4
    I thought he got five games for violent conduct?
    Nope that was the Accrington player. Taylor got the usual 3 match ban for a red card
    Thanks - that's not too bad then - don't know why I had 5 games in my head!
  • Options
    RedChaser said:

Taylor is only out banned for two more matches however he is on 8 yellows and will incur a further ban if he gets two more before the cut off date.

Thanks - I think that's where I was getting confused with the five game ban.
  • Options
    vff said:

Is Grant really leaving though? When did he last score from open play? Do Huddersfield really think he is going to step up to the Premier league level and save them from relegation?

Huddersfield more likely getting Grant for the future & planning for the Championships as looks likely they will be relegated this season.
    If they are getting him for next season then why pay £2m now when they can get him for nothing in the summer.

Although I've said previously that I didn't think he'd be going (only because he isn't a natural striker imo & certainly not worth £2m when he is out of contract in the summer) if he does leave then it's imperative he is replaced by someone of equal worth to us. I highly doubt LB will get much, if any, of the money to buy that player.....and if he doesn't then 6th spot is our best bet this season. Taylor will undoubtedly pick up another 2 yellows before the 3rd week of March (I think that's when the cut off is) & so is likely to miss another 2 matches at least.

If today showed anything it showed that we are so powderpuff in front of goal. A couple of tame efforts (1 by Grant 1st half & 1 by Reeves in the 2nd) was our sum total of attempts at goal......apart from the looping deflected shot from Grant & his penalty which was akin to Michael Grey's effort all those years ago. You can play all the pretty tippy tappy, fancy dan stuff as much as you like but if you don't have to wherewithal to be able to put the ball into the back of the net then you might as well not bother.

Gah !!!! Probably pissed off because Millwall have just beaten their FIFTH Premier League opposition in a row at home when we haven't even played ONE in the last 10 years. And then Wimbledon's offspring beat West Ham !!!

And it fecking poured down on the way home & driving in that wasn't fun I can tell you.
  • Options

So it's about 35 years since we've had two strikers banging them in and bang in form over halfway through the season.

Yet lots seem to think Grant will be easy to replace? Doubt Taylor sees it that way, let alone the rest of the squad and management.

They bring out the best in each other.
    Are we sure he’s leaving?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Been to the game today just got back after a few beers, apart from the first 25 minutes only one team wanted to win, Grant played well he isn't a player you can play up front on his own but he tried, Phillips and the back four look solid, better result for us than them, but probably not good enough if we want top two.
  • Options
    Job done.
    Said beginning of December
    9 points in December
    9 points in January we will achieve automatic promotion.
    20 points from the 2 months , so I can now start to party.
  • Options

Anyone else notice the lack of pubs in the city centre

Nice cathedral though!
  • Options
    Watched on a 'stream' I thought overall it was a bit of a 'dull' game livened up by the Penalty and the fantastic away support. We miss Taylor and his running at defences, I though Williams, Cullen and Sarr did well, but for whatever reason the game didn't show us anywhere near our best. However a point is better than nothing, but it could so easily could have been 3 if the penalty had been scored. If we dont get a decent replacement(s) for the 'moving on' Grant and the suspended Taylor this week, I'm not sure where the goals are going to come from. At least our defence are keeping clean sheets so that for me is a positive.
  • Options
    A game we would have won with Taylor in the side although I thought Reeco did ok

Thought we controlled the second half, looked far superior than a team 2 places below us and at home

Back 5 look confident, only time I thought they might score was the chance early in the second half

My lad still hasn’t seen an away win in 3 years of trying..

Need 3 points at fleetwood
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:

I'm not sure Grant is the reason we're doing well. His success is the consequence of the quality around him.

Very much so. He’s been very good this season, but quite a high proportion of his goals have been handed to him on a plate by Taylor. [Edit: probably not quite true].
    What we would miss (IF he is sold) is his pace.
    You're right, it's not true.

Scoham did an analysis and only three "tap ins" which are still good goals.
  • Options

Grant missed the penalty because he is not a reliable penalty taker. I don't think it helps when you have just taken one the game before because it adds things to your thought process like did the keeper see it, should I go in the other direction etc... I was hoping Fosu would take it, as he took an ultra composed pen at Luton, and half expected Grant to miss.

Grant has had an excellent season for us, but if we can bring in a replacement like Smith, I actually think we will be more potent. Would I find incredible is the demand for Grant when the reason we have been so strong this season has been more to do with Taylor IMO.

Fosu wasnt on the pitch

Smyth has gone to Accrington Stanley
  • Options
    Not the worst result in the world,have to say,I dont like Evans(Who does) but what do a small club like peterborough expect,they punch well above their weight and are consistent play off challengers.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Grant missed the penalty because he is not a reliable penalty taker. I don't think it helps when you have just taken one the game before because it adds things to your thought process like did the keeper see it, should I go in the other direction etc... I was hoping Fosu would take it, as he took an ultra composed pen at Luton, and half expected Grant to miss.

Grant has had an excellent season for us, but if we can bring in a replacement like Smith, I actually think we will be more potent. Would I find incredible is the demand for Grant when the reason we have been so strong this season has been more to do with Taylor IMO.

Fosu wasnt on the pitch

I have just come back from Venice - missed the Smyth development. Watched the game though so should have remembered that Fosu hadn't come on, mind you Grant still would have taken it. It is just, I know like most on here do also, when a player is a good penalty taker or a rubbish one and Grant is a rubbish one, Taylor is an ok, but may give the keeper a chance sort. You just have that feeling, whereas Yoni Buyens - goal, Clive Mendonca Goal, Darren Bent Goal.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

With Williams and Reeves behind him, he should have scored more.

Unfortunately wasn't our day.

Reeves can’t create. Pass completion must have been less than 40%. Most attacks ended when he was in possession. And as for that last minute free kick!

• Options
    Reeves did ok I thought. My only gripe with him is that he has a bit of a spongefoot when it comes to shooting.
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    HTFC are probably getting Grant for the future but are willing to pay a fee now because if he's free at the end of the season there's no guarantee he'll join HTFC then. There would be all sorts of clubs willing to sign him for nothing and unlike HTFC, a few of them might be Premier Clubs (on the assumption that HTFC are going down).
  • Options

A game we would have won with Taylor in the side although I thought Reeco did ok

Thought we controlled the second half, looked far superior than a team 2 places below us and at home

Back 5 look confident, only time I thought they might score was the chance early in the second half

My lad still hasn’t seen an away win in 3 years of trying..

Need 3 points at fleetwood

Mate it will come. I remember going from Bristol City away win on a Sunday in Nov 2012 to Bristol Rovers away on Tues night in Nov 2016. Think that was my longest run

Granted I wasn’t going to many away games back then, but I really did pick some pearlers. The Col U defeat in the FA Cup and the 6-0 at Hull were particular highlights
  • Options
    Liverpool 2004 to Southend 2010 for me

Included a few games where it truly felt like a curse including the 2-2 draw @ Plymouth in 2008 where we scored twice in the last four minutes yet still conceded a last minute equaliser
  • Options

For anyone saying that Williams should leave the diving back at Palace, If anybody was listening to IFollow Posh commentators today then they were saying that the Posh fans behind that goal said it wasnt a dive and was a stonewall penalty.

Replay of the dive - Williams has gone looking for it, his leg is out and he's going down before the contact as you can see daylight between the two legs
    Six of one, half a dozen of the other.
  • Options
    I know with football there is no such thing as an easy win and even the worst kind of teams can be tricky, I.e. Wombles for West Ham last night. But February is arguably our easiest month of the season and we need at least 10 points from it I would say to be in touch of autos, even then it may not be enough.

Fleetwood away, Southend at home, Blackpool at home and Wimbledon away.

A real shame Taylor is out cause with him I think 10/12 points is doable, without him and I think we are looking at 6 or 7
  • Options

Fosu wasnt on the pitch

I have just come back from Venice - missed the Smyth development. Watched the game though so should have remembered that Fosu hadn't come on, mind you Grant still would have taken it. It is just, I know like most on here do also, when a player is a good penalty taker or a rubbish one and Grant is a rubbish one, Taylor is an ok, but may give the keeper a chance sort. You just have that feeling, whereas Yoni Buyens - goal, Clive Mendonca Goal, Darren Bent Goal.
    This for me. Some penalty takers you know will score (Ray Stewart for W Ham) and others just done look confident. Grant falls into the latter category. I said to Golfie Jnr at the time that he's miss as he didn't look confident.