Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Chase-ITV [Paddy versus The BEAST! - Match Thread]

Comments

• Options
    Paddy what got you into jazz and do you like other music like rock?
    Do you go to jazz gigs or jazz & rock etc?
    Rock is probably my first love - Zeppelin are the greatest band ever to exist. That'll be due to what was in the car when I was little and all that. I got into jazz through school - as a pianist, opportunities are thin on the ground in terms of playing in a group classically, so a jazz combo/big band was the way to go, and then I ended up with a deep dive into the music. It got more serious at uni because Bristol has so many awesome players and now I muddle on the keys when I can!

I'm a regular at Oliver's in Greenwich - as are a couple of other Charlton fans I think, and it's a good venue that strives to support the artist. Don't go there for the drinks. There is one Mystery Keg on tap (though in fairness it's usually a decent quality lager). A lot of mates play there. Also good for jazz in London is Peckham and Deptford. So much brilliant new stuff is coming out. 

Tom Misch is a name who should be to most people's tastes even if "jazz" isn't their thing btw! Good geezer and quality songwriter.

As for rock gigs - yeah, I'll head to anything I'm able to. Went to Reading many moons ago, while I've seen loads of great bands live, and I'll always enjoy a pub gig too with local artists. Best way to support music is to go grassroots.

Sorry for the soapbox! Ended up a big rant that!
  • Options
    PaddyP17 said:
    Rock is probably my first love - Zeppelin are the greatest band ever to exist. That'll be due to what was in the car when I was little and all that. I got into jazz through school - as a pianist, opportunities are thin on the ground in terms of playing in a group classically, so a jazz combo/big band was the way to go, and then I ended up with a deep dive into the music. It got more serious at uni because Bristol has so many awesome players and now I muddle on the keys when I can!

I'm a regular at Oliver's in Greenwich - as are a couple of other Charlton fans I think, and it's a good venue that strives to support the artist. Don't go there for the drinks. There is one Mystery Keg on tap (though in fairness it's usually a decent quality lager). A lot of mates play there. Also good for jazz in London is Peckham and Deptford. So much brilliant new stuff is coming out. 

Tom Misch is a name who should be to most people's tastes even if "jazz" isn't their thing btw! Good geezer and quality songwriter.

As for rock gigs - yeah, I'll head to anything I'm able to. Went to Reading many moons ago, while I've seen loads of great bands live, and I'll always enjoy a pub gig too with local artists. Best way to support music is to go grassroots.

Went to Oliver's once a few years back. Got told off because i was talking to a mate whilst someone was playing. Never been back since. Jazz snobs. 
  • Options
    PaddyP17 said:

Went to Oliver's once a few years back. Got told off because i was talking to a mate whilst someone was playing. Never been back since. Jazz snobs. 
    Fair enough. If you were particularly audible amongst the playing/having a sustained conversation, then in a venue so small it's frowned upon. Wouldn't say that's exclusively "jazz snobbery".
  • Options
    the snob bit was a bit of a joke. tbf we weren't that loud but as you know its a small venue so for others who were there to enjoy the music probably thought we were right hooligans. 
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    Just watched it (VPN). Got proper nervous, when the Beast was about to catch you.
    Seriously, well done!
  • Options
    PaddyP17 said:

If you like Zeppelin you should listen to Rival Sons - best rock band I've heard recently. Not sure if you've listened to Defunkt who did rock/jazz crossover in their early recordings.

It used to make me laugh when Jazz FM was launched and it barely played any Jazz. 
  • Options
    PaddyP17 said:

Possibly, after the Stones! Talking of which, the first musical love of Charlie Watts is jazz - and he's an award winning jazz drummer (you probably knew that, Paddy!)
  • Options
    PaddyP17 said:

You might be good at quizzes but your taste in music is shit ha ha

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    The closest I’ve come to Coltrane live was seeing Elvin Jones. I’ve seen Pharoah Sanders three times, Art Blakey twice, and yes, even Roy Ayers.
  • Options
    I half remember going to see McCoy Tyner too. Need to ask around a bit to confirm.
  • Options
    Definitely saw Sun Ra though.
  • Options
    We was just a question on it
  • Options
    blimey, Charlton as an answer on the Chase, why didn't Paddy get asked this? :)

• Options
    What was the question?
  • Options
    aliwibble said:
    What was the question?
    The addicks and the robins are two nicknames of which London Football club?

• Options
    Give up. Who?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    aliwibble said:
    What was the question?

It was Valiants and Robins
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    Port Vale and Swindon obvs.
    Dunno what @Alex Wright was going on about.
  • Options
    PaddyP17 said:

Never apologize for having a soapbox Paddy!

Just watched Wednesday's Chase without knowing the outcome.

Sublime performance by Paddy and it helps to have 4 players to put the chaser under pressure

Great mix of ages and the older guy at 68 set the tone. Thank fuck Paddy didn't take the bait of going higher. The 22 year old was a bright girl and the other woman made the pot decent.

My wife thought I was back on the beer when I started the Paddy Chants as the beast was tamed. 

Paddy must get his brains from his Mum.
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    Addickted said:
    aliwibble said:
    What was the question?

It was Valiants and Robins
    sorry. my bad.  B)
  • Options
    First time I've watched the program .
    Sped through it on ipad with the inevitable annoying fucking adverts till Paddy's bit, boooom 
    Shamefully was alerted looking at this thread and wasn't sure I could be bothered but the comments re Eleanor pushed me in to the give it a go direction , I've just realised I'm too old for that thought process .

Well done Paddy that was impressive really impressive , the only Jazz I knew as a youngster was the mags
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    Just watched a charity one with some of the cast of coronation street.  The Dark Destroyer was a quivering wreck in the final round.  I’m just not buying it.  I know it’s for charity, but I just find it very questionable that most of the charity ones I’ve seen, these Gods of Knowledge turn into average pub quizzers 
  • Options
    cabbles said:
    Just watched a charity one with some of the cast of coronation street.  The Dark Destroyer was a quivering reck in the final round.  I’m just not buying it.  I know it’s for charity, but I just find it very questionable that most of the charity ones I’ve seen, these Gods of Knowledge turn into average pub quizzers 
    nah the dark destroyer loses his head really easily, if he gets two or three wrong that's it.
  • Options
    IdleHans said:
    Little Miss Idle and boyf have been called to appear on Pointless, recording next week.

Probably won't screen for months, but exciting nevertheless 
    Judging by the piss-taking poor Paddy suffered during his stint on The Chase, surely Little Miss Idle and boyf will not thank you for announcing their forthcoming Pointless appearance here on CL...
    But please let us know the screening date so that it can be Properly Charltonised!