Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Blackpool- Post Match Views

Comments

• Options
    And typical football for a fiver day kid a few rows in front spent the whole game on a tablet

Surely that's a rather pathetic comment, mate. 

Would you rather have said youngster running /climbing around , kicking the seat in front, screeching & whinging all the time etc etc ? 

Whilst I'd rather our youngest grandson ( 3yrs)  watched the whole 90 minutes enraptured by the scintillating action on the pitch , that was always unlikely to happen. 

So, after being very good, sitting in his seat etc for around 60 mins, he then turned to watching Peter Rabbit on his Mum's ipad, whilst sitting on her lap....

We need the next generation to become Addickted.

And hence, have to put up with a modicum of "annoying" behaviour ....such as quietly using an ipad during a match. 

Don't believe that lad was spoiling your afternoon.
    I wish I'd watched Peter Rabbitt. :-(
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    Kap10 said:
    And typical football for a fiver day kid a few rows in front spent the whole game on a tablet

Would you rather have said youngster running /climbing around , kicking the seat in front, screeching & whinging all the time etc etc ? 

Whilst I'd rather our youngest grandson ( 3yrs)  watched the whole 90 minutes enraptured by the scintillating action on the pitch , that was always unlikely to happen. 

So, after being very good, sitting in his seat etc for around 60 mins, he then turned to watching Peter Rabbit on his Mum's ipad, whilst sitting on her lap....

And hence, have to put up with a modicum of "annoying" behaviour ....such as quietly using an ipad during a match. 

Agree Fanny when i started taking my son, i arrived prearmed with pencils and paper to keep him occupied, pre internet.

The real real football for a fiver people were the guy sat behind me trying to impress his girl spouting nonsense. Thank god for old age and the ability to take out my hearing aid.
    Each to their own Kap, but I couldn't imagine taking my young child to a football match, armed with pencils and paper to keep them occupied!! I personally just don't get that at all. Take them when they are ready and want to go.

Started taking my son when he was 5 (17 years ago), but only when I felt he was ready and he wanted to go. It's not affected his allegiance at all and he is still a home and away regular. Quite admirable when you consider he's lived all of his 22 years (bar the first 3 months) in Norwich.

Not a criticism at all by the way, I just wouldn't take a child to football if I felt I needed to facilitate extra-curricular activity to keep them occupied.
    Maybe not a criticism but what if 1) the young child is normally well behaved, easily distracted by food/drink/ipad etc and/or 2) it's an outing for the whole family & no baby sitters/willing grandparents to help with the young 'un ? 

2 points to consider IMO.....

The first that, parents invariably KNOW how their kids behave - whether they are stroppy toddlers who scream & throw themselves around at the slightest provocation or whether they are used to being part of the family's outings and behave themselves 75% or so of the time. There is always the option to remove them onto the concourse for a cooling off period if required.Maybe they are more easily accommodated than some of our more lairy fans....

The second, is that a large percentage of under 5's nowadays are used to sitting down & paying attention for periods of time as they attend Nursery School which usually offer more structured periods than the Play Schools my 2 attended for 2 mornings a week at that pre school age. In fact, with some starting "big school" soon after their 4th birthdays now ( rising 5's, I believe it's called) IMO, it's part of their development to include them in such outings /new experiences. 

Of course, if they do misbehave big time, then clearly either they are bored or simply dislike the Beautiful Game or it's just too soon for the Charlton experience, so a lesson has been  learned by all concerned. 

Just my opinion.
  • Options
    I may of missed it because I struggle to read all the comments after a lukewarm performance ?

Why wasn't Fosu on the bench ?
    Other than the fact he has been  Harriottesque for most of this season.
    I agree with Chris Solly that he is the most skilful player at the club But he has an inability to make the right call when to stick or twist.

Sad to think that the player who picked up the mantle from Ricky Holmes is now struggling to get in the 18.
    Presumably dropped. Bowyer said in the week about you can only give players so many chances.
  • Options

Hello. great day out and the football wasn't bad either. Started and ended the day drinking in Blackheath and the mood was buzzing. Easy transit to the ground but you really need to sort the away concourse out, it gets far too packed. I thought our crowd (over 550 which is pretty decent) were a bit subdued but we were either drunk or confused at focusing on football again.

Thought we started really well and it took you 20 mins plus to get on even terms. You started the 2nd all guns blazing and I really felt you'd score but our defence was, again magnificent. The game then evened put and a draw was a very fair result. Another great away point after our draw at Sunderland and we live in hope of sneaking into the play offs.

For you, the centre back, Sarr ? was immense, the little winger on the left looked lively and Taylor needs a slap. Such a talented player but far too many histrionics. Great noise for the start of the 2nd from the north stand and, as usual, a very friendly away day.

Good luck for the rest of the season.....

Don’t agree it was a fair result, you played well for 20 minutes and then decided you were happy for a point. 

Sat near your Management team and have to say I couldn’t stand them. They wanted a red for Taylor all game which is poor for me. 

Off the field, I really hope things improve for you. You don’t deserve the shit you have had. 

On the field I hope you don’t make the play offs for obvious reasons, don’t think you will to be honest but good luck anyway 
  • Options
    "little winger on the left".  Marshall?  He was mainly on the right wasn't he?
  • Options
    Rob said:
    Yeah, but he was pissed.
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    Rob said:
    I wonder if he meant when Marshall was warming up in front of the west stand.
    Marshall looks good then because he doesn't have to cross the ball.
  • Options

Hello. great day out and the football wasn't bad either. Started and ended the day drinking in Blackheath and the mood was buzzing. Easy transit to the ground but you really need to sort the away concourse out, it gets far too packed. I thought our crowd (over 550 which is pretty decent) were a bit subdued but we were either drunk or confused at focusing on football again.

Thought we started really well and it took you 20 mins plus to get on even terms. You started the 2nd all guns blazing and I really felt you'd score but our defence was, again magnificent. The game then evened put and a draw was a very fair result. Another great away point after our draw at Sunderland and we live in hope of sneaking into the play offs.

For you, the centre back, Sarr ? was immense, the little winger on the left looked lively and Taylor needs a slap. Such a talented player but far too many histrionics. Great noise for the start of the 2nd from the north stand and, as usual, a very friendly away day.

Don’t agree it was a fair result, you played well for 20 minutes and then decided you were happy for a point. 

Sat near your Management team and have to say I couldn’t stand them. They wanted a red for Taylor all game which is poor for me. 

Off the field, I really hope things improve for you. You don’t deserve the shit you have had. 

On the field I hope you don’t make the play offs for obvious reasons, don’t think you will to be honest but good luck anyway 
    I thought it was a fair result. I think Blackpool shaded the first half and we were definitely on top for most of the second. However, as the away side, they defended well and cut down the number of good chances we created pretty effectively. I'm pretty sure we helped them, but a point was a fair reward for them.
  • Options
    Blackpool defenders did four Blocks in 15 seconds in 2nd half, but did the keeper have to make a big save ? I think not. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited February 2019
    In his 10 minute  cameo Igor Vetokele was good,
    But he wasn't quite Karlin.

• Options
    In his 10 minute  cameo Igor Vetokele was good,
    But he wasn't Karlin.

Neither was Karlan ;-)
  • Options

I thought it was a fair result. I think Blackpool shaded the first half and we were definitely on top for most of the second. However, as the away side, they defended well and cut down the number of good chances we created pretty effectively. I'm pretty sure we helped them, but a point was a fair reward for them.
    Maybe. In fairness we didn't create too many great chances. 

They did defend well. But they didn't show much intent in the second half which for me means we just about deserved the win. They were camped in their own half for the majority of the second half. Their defence however deserve plaudits and earned them a point. 
  • Options
    You can make a case, but I think you have to be a bit unlucky, and in all honesty I didn't come out of the game feeling we were unlucky! We were far too predictable going forwards.

• Options
    Kap10 said:

Agree Fanny when i started taking my son, i arrived prearmed with pencils and paper to keep him occupied, pre internet.

The real real football for a fiver people were the guy sat behind me trying to impress his girl spouting nonsense. Thank god for old age and the ability to take out my hearing aid.
    Each to their own Kap, but I couldn't imagine taking my young child to a football match, armed with pencils and paper to keep them occupied!! I personally just don't get that at all. Take them when they are ready and want to go.

Started taking my son when he was 5 (17 years ago), but only when I felt he was ready and he wanted to go. It's not affected his allegiance at all and he is still a home and away regular. Quite admirable when you consider he's lived all of his 22 years (bar the first 3 months) in Norwich.

Not a criticism at all by the way, I just wouldn't take a child to football if I felt I needed to facilitate extra-curricular activity to keep them occupied.
    We each know our kids. I knew he wanted to come, but his cincentratuon level would be low ane i did not want him irritating me or others, so i did the same as u did when we took him to a restaurant.

On the other hand my daughter came ro matches as long as she had chips and beer! And a chat with my mates in the Rod.

Mind you he was five and she was late teens.
  • Options
    Rob said:
    Yeah, but he was pissed.
    Marshall was p*ssed ? 

Thought he did pretty well under those circumstances.
    The whole team bar Sarr & Aribo played like they were pissed :-:smile:
  • Options
    My son was born a few days after the Portsmouth game on that famous day in December 1992.
    By the time the Play off final came around he'd been to a few home games But no way was i being Dad that day.  It still rankled him that 8 members of the family went and TBF he was a good kid But I assumed that 80k people yelling and he would complain and want to go home.

It's good that yesterday's match had young kids but with no goals I doubt many will want to come back. Another generation lost, no wonder our average age is 68.

• Options
    Was Fosu injured or dropped by the way?
  • Options
    Was Fosu injured or dropped by the way?
    Dropped. 
  • Options
    You can make a case, but I think you have to be a bit unlucky, and in all honesty I didn't come out of the game feeling we were unlucky! We were far too predictable going forwards.

True enough, I agree we were predictable. We had a spell at the start of the second half because Marshall had come on and we had changed shape but other then that we were easy to read. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Lets be fair their defenders came and did a job on Lyle to wind him up and it worked and the ref never protected him once.
    Totally disagree.
  • Options

Aribo was poor and didn't provide any defensive cover and I'm not sure why he was left on? 

Apologies, but I have no idea what you were/weren't watching.

Aribo was clearly our best player for the first 60/70 mins.

Understandably having been out for 6/7 weeks, he faded a bit towards the end and Sarr who grew in stature, possibly shaded him for MOM.

However, I thought it was an outstanding performance for a young lad who has been out injured for so long.
    Apologies but I watched the same game and didn't see Aribo as outstanding - none of our midfield were. He's had good games but for me this wasn't one of them and one weakness of his game is he doesn't provide decent defensive cover.

Our defenders are frequently let down by midfielders who don't cover them yet the defenders get the stick.

Our only outstanding player was Naby Sarr.

• Options
    Disagree that Parker put in an ‘awful’ performance. It was mediocre for sure, but he had limited service and would surely benefit from match practice. He need to play between the posts more, he looks like that sort of player. 
    However Igor showed what he can do. Looked sharp and quite skilful, so probably deserves to start against the Wombles. Parker would be a useful sub though. 

Need height against Wimbledon, so we can’t start Cullen, Reeves and Williams surely. 
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    Disagree that Parker put in an ‘awful’ performance. It was mediocre for sure, but he had limited service and would surely benefit from match practice. He need to play between the posts more, he looks like that sort of player. 
    However Igor showed what he can do. Looked sharp and quite skilful, so probably deserves to start against the Wombles. Parker would be a useful sub though. 

Need height against Wimbledon, so we can’t start Cullen, Reeves and Williams surely. 
    Agree with this. Parker disappointed after a reasonably promising cameo last week but he had zero service and seems to me to want to play in the same space as Taylor. All of that said, he’s a bargain basement signing who couldn’t get a game for Gillingham. We shouldn’t have very high expectations. Igor was great for five minutes. I have my doubts that he can produce that over a full game. But he’s the only option we have other than to play Fosu up front off Taylor but I have the feeling that Fosu’s ship has sailed as far as Bowyer is concerned. We are focussing in who can play with Taylor. On Saturdays evidence, Taylor is going to be missing again pretty soon so the question for me is whether Igor and Parker can do anything together. We’ve had worse up front in previous years so let’s see. 
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:

Agree with this. Parker disappointed after a reasonably promising cameo last week but he had zero service and seems to me to want to play in the same space as Taylor. All of that said, he’s a bargain basement signing who couldn’t get a game for Gillingham. We shouldn’t have very high expectations. Igor was great for five minutes. I have my doubts that he can produce that over a full game. But he’s the only option we have other than to play Fosu up front off Taylor but I have the feeling that Fosu’s ship has sailed as far as Bowyer is concerned. We are focussing in who can play with Taylor. On Saturdays evidence, Taylor is going to be missing again pretty soon so the question for me is whether Igor and Parker can do anything together. We’ve had worse up front in previous years so let’s see. 
    With our midfield not really delivering our forwards will struggle - Taylor seems to be all over the pich chasing the ball down.

• Options
    edited February 2019
    JamesSeed said:

With our midfield not really delivering our forwards will struggle - Taylor seems to be all over the pich chasing the ball down.

Yup. Agreed. Even when the midfield did create on Saturday by getting in behind, the final ball from Williams was awful although he wasn’t helped by the centre forward being out of position. 
  • Options
    I may of missed it because I struggle to read all the comments after a lukewarm performance ?

I agree with Chris Solly that he is the most skilful player at the club But he has an inability to make the right call when to stick or twist.

Sad to think that the player who picked up the mantle from Ricky Holmes is now struggling to get in the 18.
    Presumably dropped. Bowyer said in the week about you can only give players so many chances.
    Well that worked well. 

Yes Fosu is frustrating, but I don't think we can afford to cast aside someone with his ability to do something different, as we looked very predictable on Saturday. 
  • Options

Well that worked well. 

Yes Fosu is frustrating, but I don't think we can afford to cast aside someone with his ability to do something different, as we looked very predictable on Saturday. 
    Fosu wasn't alone in having a poor game against Southend yet Bowyer seems to have singled him out? Fosu and Aribo seem to be our most dangerous midfielders and I can't see the goals coming from elsewhere.

Fosu is frustrating to watch and at present things don't seem to be coming off for him.
  • Options
    80% of Fosu's goals have come away from home. Perhaps a kick up the arse was what was needed and maybe he'll be back in for Wimbledon away.