Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Blackpool- Post Match Views

123457»

Comments

• Options
    I may of missed it because I struggle to read all the comments after a lukewarm performance ?

Why wasn't Fosu on the bench ?
    Other than the fact he has been  Harriottesque for most of this season.
    I agree with Chris Solly that he is the most skilful player at the club But he has an inability to make the right call when to stick or twist.

Sad to think that the player who picked up the mantle from Ricky Holmes is now struggling to get in the 18.
    Presumably dropped. Bowyer said in the week about you can only give players so many chances.
    Well that worked well. 

Yes Fosu is frustrating, but I don't think we can afford to cast aside someone with his ability to do something different, as we looked very predictable on Saturday. 
    Equally we cant play someone on the off chance they will have a blinder.

Last season fosu had 1 bad game every 10
    This season its 1 good game every 10.

Putting him on the pitch and hoping he has his 1 good game is then like playing with 10 players of he is having a bad game
  • Options
    Phillips: had absolutely nothing to do, some of his distribution is erratic
    Dijksteel: looked (understandably) very rusty first half hour, not sure he brings any more than Solls and lacks his experience and composure, given an easy ride by Blackpool who weren't up for playing or attacking much -  was Solly ill or injured?
    Bauer: steady enough against minimal threat
    Sarr;: best player by a distance
    Purrington: horrible first hour or so, couldn't find a pass to save his life
    Cullen: decent
    Reeves: lightweight, wasteful, slow, rightly subbed
    Aribo: decent considering his rustiness and relative lack of fitness, up against resolute unsophisticated tangerine defensiveness, unfamiliarity with Williams won't have helped
    Williams: a bright spark in a turgid affair, outnumbered and outmuscled by the orange cloggers, more game time with Aribo should be beneficial.  Odd for him to be pulled, was he injured or unwell?
    Parker: honest, hard working, positive but limited, often making same moves as Taylor early on, forgivable.
    Taylor: petulant numbskullery from one who should certainly know and do better.  Yes the ref was a prick and you got no protection from him but that was obvious in the first quarter hour, Grow the eff up and do smthn different. Toddler tantrums impress nobody and that smug tosspot with the whistle was gagging to book you. Berk.
    Marshall: Better than Reeves (which is not a complement)
    Referee: smug twonk who set his stall out from the off to let Blackpool waste time, spoil and niggle with no fear of sanction.  3 minutes added time 2nd half just covered the 5 substitutions and loudly approved the orange cloggers' rank time wasting.

Lapslie: added nothing in his cameo
    Vetokele: much more dynamic than Parker and has to start next match if fit, or at least no less fit than Saturday.
  • Options
    I missed the match unwell on saturday so cannot express a direct opinion myself.

However reading this thread there are numerous reference to the 'petulance' and similar adjectives of Lyle Taylor during the match.

Could this be why he has never played at a higher level?
  • Options
    LenGlover said:
    I missed the match unwell on saturday so cannot express a direct opinion myself.

However reading this thread there are numerous reference to the 'petulance' and similar adjectives of Lyle Taylor during the match.

Possibly - his theatrics can get a bit tiresome and he seems to get booked too easily. Needs to work on this.
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

Possibly - his theatrics can get a bit tiresome and he seems to get booked too easily. Needs to work on this.

Much as I like and admire Taylor, as you say, his theatrics when he fails to get a free kick (even when is obvious to all and sundry that he's playing for it), is getting a little tedious. He just makes it easier for the ref to book him. So much for 'learning' from his red card against Accrington. Having said that, he was trying too hard on Saturday and the loss of his usual strike partner was obviously affecting him.
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    I may of missed it because I struggle to read all the comments after a lukewarm performance ?

Why wasn't Fosu on the bench ?
    Other than the fact he has been  Harriottesque for most of this season.
    I agree with Chris Solly that he is the most skilful player at the club But he has an inability to make the right call when to stick or twist.

Sad to think that the player who picked up the mantle from Ricky Holmes is now struggling to get in the 18.
    Presumably dropped. Bowyer said in the week about you can only give players so many chances.
    Well that worked well. 

Yes Fosu is frustrating, but I don't think we can afford to cast aside someone with his ability to do something different, as we looked very predictable on Saturday. 
    Equally we cant play someone on the off chance they will have a blinder.

Last season fosu had 1 bad game every 10
    This season its 1 good game every 10.

Putting him on the pitch and hoping he has his 1 good game is then like playing with 10 players of he is having a bad game
    That isn't the point of playing him. He has shown against Gills he can do it this season and it is Bowyer's job to get last season's Fosu back, not give up on him, We can't afford that approach if we want to give ourselves the best chnace of going up! The basic solution in the manager's handbook that sometimes works is tell the player he has x number of games and play him whatever.
  • Options

Kevin Nolan'smatch report.

Since Grant somewhat marred his departure by meekly missing a crucial penalty at Peterborough on January 26, the Addicks have picked up two points from four games, scoring just one goal in the stuttering process.

The bright, innovative partnership Grant forged with Lyle Taylor accounted for 26 of Charlton’s 48 league goals but was wilfully broken up by absentee owner Roland Duchatelet in what amounted to a clear statement that any and all assets at The Valley are for sale. It scarcely helped that Taylor was suspended from the first three of those important games, leaving his stricken side to soldier on without a recognisable forward line.

https://www.londonnewsonline.co.uk/roland-duchatelets-sale-of-karlan-grant-is-beginning-to-look-highly-costly-to-charltons-stuttering-promotion-prospects/

• Options
    last 10 seasons to get play offs you would need an average minimum of 73.5 points

we currently have 56 so need at least 17.5 with 39 points available doesn't seem that difficult. 
  • Options
    last 10 seasons to get play offs you would need an average minimum of 73.5 points

we currently have 56 so need at least 17.5 with 39 points available doesn't seem that difficult. 
    Good work PH. I shall head off to the supermarket with a spring in my step this morning!
  • Options
    I think we'll need another 23 points or so. Shouldn't be that difficult and with not losing to Blackpool I still think it's 6 teams from 7.....or for the play offs 4 from 5. 

Still confident we'll make the playoffs.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

I just wanted to give him [Solly] a rest,” said Charlton boss Bowyer. “He’s played six on the spin and I have to look after him.

“As bad as that might sound, it’s the truth. We’re going to have a run of games Saturday-Tuesday-Saturday and I want to make sure he’s ready for that.

Bowyer confirmed that Tariqe Fosu was not injured. The winger did not even make the bench.

“I picked an 18 that I thought would work on the day,” said the Charlton manager. “That was what it was, he was in over the weekend – he came in and ran on Saturday.”

https://www.londonnewsonline.co.uk/charlton-athletic-boss-bowyer-on-not-starting-chris-solly-tariqe-fosus-absence-from-blackpool-game-and-his-take-on-their-four-game-winless-spell/
  • Options
    clive said:

Since Grant somewhat marred his departure by meekly missing a crucial penalty at Peterborough on January 26, the Addicks have picked up two points from four games, scoring just one goal in the stuttering process.

The bright, innovative partnership Grant forged with Lyle Taylor accounted for 26 of Charlton’s 48 league goals but was wilfully broken up by absentee owner Roland Duchatelet in what amounted to a clear statement that any and all assets at The Valley are for sale. It scarcely helped that Taylor was suspended from the first three of those important games, leaving his stricken side to soldier on without a recognisable forward line.

https://www.londonnewsonline.co.uk/roland-duchatelets-sale-of-karlan-grant-is-beginning-to-look-highly-costly-to-charltons-stuttering-promotion-prospects/

I hate to call out the legend that is Kevin Nolan, but it's three points and one goal in four matches, isn't it? Pboro D, Fwood L, Southend D (goal), Bpool D.
  • Options
    clive said:

This is the point we have to remember. The last 5 games have been turgid, but Taylor was missing from 3 and half of them and Grant the other 4. and both from 3 of them. The one full game Taylor played was against a side with one of the best defensive records in the league and his first with a new strike partner. Obviously Grant isn't going to be available to us again this season, but to judge how the rest of the season is going to pan out in terms of our attacking potential is to extrapolate using data from pretty much the worst set of circumstances we could have in terms of impact to our front line.
  • Options
    clive said:

I just wanted to give him [Solly] a rest,” said Charlton boss Bowyer. “He’s played six on the spin and I have to look after him.

“As bad as that might sound, it’s the truth. We’re going to have a run of games Saturday-Tuesday-Saturday and I want to make sure he’s ready for that.

Bowyer confirmed that Tariqe Fosu was not injured. The winger did not even make the bench.

“I picked an 18 that I thought would work on the day,” said the Charlton manager. “That was what it was, he was in over the weekend – he came in and ran on Saturday.”

https://www.londonnewsonline.co.uk/charlton-athletic-boss-bowyer-on-not-starting-chris-solly-tariqe-fosus-absence-from-blackpool-game-and-his-take-on-their-four-game-winless-spell/
    Has Bowyer jumped the shark with this one, or is he just taking his brand of no-nonsense philosophy to a new level?
  • Options
    Bottom line is goals win matches and we've lost a large chunk of ours.

Not to mention the assists that led to goals for others.
  • Options
    Havent we only only got one Saturday -Tuesday-Saturday left this season?
  • Options
    This totally, said against Southend, its square pegs and round holes playing them 3 in same midfield. 

Back to basics and try scrap a 1 nil, I'd be over the moon with a win Saturday.