Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Women’s World Cup

Comments

• Options
    If you had watched Charlton V Hull at The Valley a few years ago as ome of your 1st ever games, you would never had watched football again
    Or most of the games under KR...
    Bit unfair on KR. Russell Slade on the other hand...
  • Options
    Keeper is doing well but a lot has been straight at her, we're snatching at things.
  • Options
    Good move that.
  • Options
    Lovely goal 
  • Options
    Jodie Taylor, about to be taken off so the big time striker scores. At last
  • Options
    Well worked goal! Lovely stuff.

Come on England! 
  • Options
    Lovely cross...
  • Options
    Mead's best cross in this tournament.
  • Options
    Typical dirty Argies
  • Options
    I’ve quite enjoyed this - and tbh wasn’t expecting to. Will try and watch the rest of our games now 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Played some good stuff but should have scored more.
  • Options
    England will need to pass the ball better to really progress. Argentina seemed happy to settle for the 1-0, a complete lack of ambition from them
  • Options
    Not sure about Gabby Logan's coat.
  • Options
    Not sure about Gabby Logan's coat.
    Nor am I Raith. I keep thinking about Peter Sellers. 
  • Options
    Having been on pre season tours with us over the years I will never understand anyone slagging off women’s football. 

Really enjoyed what what I saw tonight. 

But it I was flicking between it and Leeds v Wigan if I’m honest. 
  • Options
    Woman's football is good entertainment. Thought England passed the ball quickly and with purpose and were far the better side. Really enjoyed it.

No surprise that a Taylor scored! 
  • Options
    England played decent for 90 minutes tonight but still thought it was there B game. Argentina played for a 0-0 like they achieved against Japan, They were robust tacklers and TBF they didn't cave in like I thought they would after 70 minutes.

2-1 and 1-0 playing our B game. No problem in group games but wouldn't be good enough against  France or USA.

Just need to sharpen up and get more shots on target. So far so good but Japan are a hard team to beat as we found 4 years ago when they beat us in the semi final.

We only need a draw to top the group but Japan played well today other than one mistake and they pass well. 5 days before the next game when Toni Duggan will be fit to get game time.
    So pleased for Telford to finally get a game in a WC. She was the only player out of 23 not to play minutes in Canada.

• Options
    We won, but god we need to be better than that.
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    I thought England did well. They can improve a bit in the final third but it isn't easy playing a team that sets up to frustrate. It was a good team goal and came on the break after Argentina tried to be positive for the only time in the game! Their keeper had a great game which isn't going to happen in every game we play!

I think it is good to grow into these sort of tournaments and England have a decent platform to have a successful one. Scott was rightful England player of the match and their keeper was overall player of the match.
  • Options
    Having been on pre season tours with us over the years I will never understand anyone slagging off women’s football. 

Seriously tho, pretty much everyone is just talking about the game as they would any other game of football. When someone points out a glaring mistake or that the spectacle is poor, it appears to be an automatic defence mechanism to compare it to a shit men’s game. It doesn’t need it, exciting football is exciting football just as shit football is shit
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    To be fair, Naby's goal at Wembley would have been a great example of how poor women's football is if it was a women's game!
  • Options

Seriously tho, pretty much everyone is just talking about the game as they would any other game of football. When someone points out a glaring mistake or that the spectacle is poor, it appears to be an automatic defence mechanism to compare it to a shit men’s game. It doesn’t need it, exciting football is exciting football just as shit football is shit
    Fair comment, guilty as charged.
    @ValleyGary I'm really not keen on pink !
    Plus the banter I would've got when I was coaching and managing male football teams would have been crazy !
  • Options
    Final game will be very interesting.

A point for Argentina will see them finish 3rd but probably not enough to go through as one of the best 3rd place teams, so both Argentina and Scotland will need a win
  • Options
    Totally deserved the win and could have and should have been much more. Seen us play much better and believe there is more to come but need to be more positive sometimes. Thought Kirby's contribution was totally overrated by the pundits. Personally would like to see how White and Taylor could perform together in the next game. 
  • Options
    Someone said tonight that the women's world cup was like beer with no alcohol.
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    England have 5 forwards,Taylor and White who Neville call his centre forwards, Parris who is playing in the right wing position, Kirby who is a number 10 type forward and Mead who is having to play out of position on the Left.  When Mead plays on the right for Arsenal she scored some crackers last season, plus Toni Duggan who also plays on the left and like Mead wants to get on to her right foot.
    There is nothing between the 5 Forwards and if you add Stanways who is the best under 21 player in England then he can chop and change again for the Japan game.

I would like to see Mead play on the right against Japan with Duggan on the Left and White and Taylor playing 45 minutes each as main striker.
    Parris can replace Mead with 25 minutes to go. Stanways is our future and can keep getting cameos in this tournament.

If Neville can learn anything from the men team, it's no good getting to a semi final and all your forwards are spent.
  • Options
    edited June 2019

Not that i'm going to slag off womens football, as i can watch pretty much any football, but you do realise you've just compared pre-season friendlies of an average mens side to  a womens world cup? Training games with numerous subs and players trying to get fit to the pinnacle of the sport?
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    England have 5 forwards,Taylor and White who Neville call his centre forwards, Parris who is playing in the right wing position, Kirby who is a number 10 type forward and Mead who is having to play out of position on the Left.  When Mead plays on the right for Arsenal she scored some crackers last season, plus Toni Duggan who also plays on the left and like Mead wants to get on to her right foot.
    There is nothing between the 5 Forwards and if you add Stanways who is the best under 21 player in England then he can chop and change again for the Japan game.

I would like to see Mead play on the right against Japan with Duggan on the Left and White and Taylor playing 45 minutes each as main striker.
    Parris can replace Mead with 25 minutes to go. Stanways is our future and can keep getting cameos in this tournament.

If Neville can learn anything from the men team, it's no good getting to a semi final and all your forwards are spent.
    Mead is improving on the left, but she has always looked very good when I have seen her on the right. I suspect Neville thinks she is our best bet on the left - what are our other options there? And Parris and Bronze do link up well on the right.

I was a bit disapointed in Kirby - even though the commentators were bigging her up. She did ok, but I have seen her play much better. Likewise Taylor. She looked like a goal machine a couple of years ago. Maybe confidence is the issue with these two.

One thing I liked about England was that hey were purposeful playing out from the back. You can see Neville's influence there. It makes a big difference. So many teams in this competition just pass it for the sake of it when the person they are passing to is in a no better position and often a worse one, but it becomes their problem.

Scotland do this until they are behind, then revert to their strengths! Incredibly inept management but maybe the players were not following the plan. Oh no, interview after the game had the manager saying what a good game plan they started off with. The American pundit exposed that crap for what it was. Scotland, your manager may be a very nice lady, but if you put up with that rubbish you won't go to the next level which I think you have the players to do!

• Options
    edited June 2019
    Just read that Alex Morgan is married to a guy who plays for LA Galaxy...........but she earns more than him!
    I went to uni with them both!

no, they didn't know who I was...and still don't. He's a journeyman MLS player but they have a cute dog.

This has been "SD interjects himself pointlessly into the latest goings on*"

*From Tuesday. It's been a long week.