Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Women’s World Cup

Comments

• Options
    VAR should be used for things like that.

Its supposed to stop error that cost teams, well USA have just scored from a corner that wasnt a corner
    I do want VAR BUT not for corners or throw ins.
    It will take the game too far away from the on field ref.
    Look at foul play that may happen off the ball to aid the ref
    We will never get perfection, just stop the obvious mistakes not the subjective.
  • Options
    The USA are Ruthless, a strong European side will give them a contest but at the moment it exhibition time.
  • Options
    Chilean keeper best in competition.
  • Options
    Chilean keeper best in competition.
    Made some excellent saves.
  • Options
    Some great saves. Enjoying this. 
  • Options
    Not quite the late, great Gordon Banks but the Chilean goalkeeper has made some superb saves today.
  • Options
    Technically she is spot on. I could see it pretty early in Sweden match that she was a class apart. A real shame she plays for Chile for the girl.
  • Options
    Absolute worldie of a save that last one. One handed even with her body. 
  • Options
    It is important for Chile that they don't let any more in. They still have a game against Thailand who might as well not have a keeper and they have a sniff of qualification to the round of 16.
  • Options
    It is important for Chile that they don't let any more in. They still have a game against Thailand who might as well not have a keeper and they have a sniff of qualification to the round of 16.
    Would like to see them there. Not great going forward but a good defensive team and that keeper is excellent. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Lloyd is so good in the air. Could have been 8 but the woodwork and the keeper have kept the score down.
  • Options
    The USA are Ruthless, a strong European side will give them a contest but at the moment it exhibition time.
    And this is about half a second choice side. The strength in depth in midfield and attack for the US is impressive. The questions are at the back and with Naeher the keeper. She had an awful flap on a goal rightly taken away for offside. She is a good shot stopper and decent distributor but she has a ric in her. 
  • Options
    I think the USA have the right levels of physicality through the team. When they play weaker teams you get pass, pass mis-match. pass- mis-match, pass- pass mis-match. The opponents can't build offensively against them.
  • Options
    How is that a penalty, it was outside the area
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    Lloyd has been Zenedine Zidanesque, I just hope she doesn't head butt anyone.

I wanted the keeper to save that not for it to be missed.
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    Good glad she missed, justice done
  • Options
    Really impressed by the US - knock the ball around well and pressure their opponents. 
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    What we have to see is how they do against Sweden. I'm sure they will win, but how easily will they win?  I did say earlier in the week I was looking forward to today's game to see the Chilean keeper keep them out. It does show what a big factor the position is in he women's game.

What Chile have in their favour is they don't have the Scotland manager - they need to get as many shots on target as possible against Thailand. I think they need to target 4-0 or slightly better to qualify. Scotland do have a sniff though - a 1-0 victory will have the same net effect as a 4-0 Chile one!
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    The highest average ever for BBC rater.
    Christiane Endler 9.32

Still open 
  • Options
    Only seen three games, but of the numerous things that have impressed me is the lack of diving and rolling around the floor feigning injury.
    The 'fairer sex'...ha!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    What we have to see is how they do against Sweden. I'm sure they will win, but how easily will they win?  I did say earlier in the week I was looking forward to today's game to see the Chilean keeper keep them out. It does show what a big factor the position is in he women's game.

What Chile have in their favour is they don't have the Scotland manager - they need to get as many shots on target as possible against Thailand. I think they need to target 4-0 or slightly better to qualify. Scotland do have a sniff though - a 1-0 victory will have the same net effect as a 4-0 Chile one!
    I wouldn't put it as certain that they'll win. Sweden have traditionally been a bogey team and knocked then out of the last major competition. The US have also traditionally struggled with teams who are compact, sit deep, and defend well, then hit in the counter. Sweden did that excellently under their former coach (and the US' former coach) at the Olympics. I think this is a US team set up very well for the group stage, I'm curious to see how they're set up for a knockout competition if that makes sense. 

I also think the question there will be how much the two sides want to win. If the US win the group then a eyes will be on that quarterfinal against France. 
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    I would agree the only doubt is whether they want to win. It will probably suit them to come second!
  • Options
    I don't want to belittle women's football and hope I am not, but lots of women point out the attractive male players. I am trying to be equal here. I won't tell the wife, but if I was 40 years younger I would have a major crush on that keeper Endler - due to her fantastic ability mostly but also...... 

• Options
    Will we have a Belgium v England scenario ?
    Both USA and Sweden wanting to come 2nd ?  Not sure that the USA team are worried who they play but they know the harder games are coming.
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    SDAddick said:
    And this is about half a second choice side. The strength in depth in midfield and attack for the US is impressive. The questions are at the back and with Naeher the keeper. She had an awful flap on a goal rightly taken away for offside. She is a good shot stopper and decent distributor but she has a ric in her. 

When England won the She believe cup in early March, England had a 2-2 draw with USA, a narrow 2-1 against Brazil and a convining win 3-0 against Japan.

France decided not to enter so close to the WC. The Usa team played ok but they wanted to peak for this tournament where I hope England will and they didn't peak 3 months too early.

I find your feedback interesting @SDAddick and let's see what the US keeper is like when the shots start coming on target.
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    The highest average ever for BBC rater.
    Christiane Endler 9.32

Still open 
    Not surprised by her score, she's been superb by any standards.
  • Options
    If you are enjoying the Women's World Cup a reminder that Charlton Athletic Women's season tickets are on sale here and all the money goes to Charlton Athletic Women.

The women's game (as hopefully shown in this year's World Cup) has grown so much over the previous few years and Charlton Athletic Women desperately need more support. We are independently owned and are competing against a lot of teams who have big premiership financial backing whereas we are self-funded.

Whether it's purchasing a season ticket, attending games or if you run a company getting involved with sponsorship ( which is low priced and we reached 8.2 million people last season!), then any help is appreciated and very much needed. 

Hopefully the women's world cup raises the profile of the women's game and shows that it's improved massively and is improving year on year
  • Options
    That French lass has money on France not winning!
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    Drama here 
  • Options
    Homer ref