Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Women’s World Cup

Comments

• I give them an "A" for effort.
  • edited July 2019
    There's some decent football being played all be it at a slow pace 
    but fark off that penalty,  i'd ostracise any member of my family who took a penalty like that
    i'm a nearly 49 year old crap footballer with dodgy legs but i could ping a pen much better than that ....
    just ask Dillon Phillips he was left stranded with my ping .

gutted with that result my sons were right in to it with wall charts and stuff
  • edited July 2019
    Definite signs of progression, but in certain areas we definitely have room to improve. Our defending, passing and fitness aren't good enough yet, earlier in the tournament these weaknesses were evident but it took a better team to exploit them
  • edited July 2019
    Millie Bright can be effective but she is not a footballer. Her skill levels aren't there. England simply have to replace the two or three players that maybe aren't quite there with players who are. USA played how they play. They are athletic and have some excellent players but they have one or two that aren't quite there either. They were not major errors, but first was saveable I thought and the second Telford went slightly off her line into no man's (or woman's land). If you are not getting it and a defender is on the attacker - stay on your line. I think Bardsley would have saved one of those at least so injury was frustrating. Englands goal was unstoppable.

I didn't think USA were strong defensively and England showed you could get behind them with ease. I thought Daley was disapointing and they often picked the wrong ball. But that offside was so close - but right and if you book the USA player for the penalty, surely it is a red. I think you could argue there was no intent but she was booked so surely goal scoring opportunity denied. 

With a little more luck, England would have won that game. Next time.

I won't criticise Houghton - she is England's rock, but I thought the occasion got on top of her today. Not the penalty - that happens, but lots of poorer than usual passing.

• Why do you men always come on this thread only to criticise and gloat??? 
    "You men"?

That's a rather sexist comment, isnt it?

Maybe they are just offering an opinion?
  • Error strewn performances in every game they played to be honest.....ball retention very poor at times as well as their passing completion stats were not up to scratch. Lost count of the misplaced passes this evening.
    Having said all that, they were nevertheless unlucky not to at least get to play extra time.
  • Not a lot in it. A better penalty or a toe onside changed the match. The US have vulnerabilities. I'm not convinced Neville set England up well to exploit them. If you can pull Ertz out of position, the US CBs are slow on the turn and Dahlkemper frankly isn't that good. You saw it with the disallowed goal and with England's goal. But he didn't go with Kirby in the 10 role and I don't think Paris did particularly well. 

This is a US team with some really good players, but I will always have the persistent feeling that they play both as less than the sum of their parts, and that their weak links make them vulnerable. 

Gutted for Lavelle. She's had a lot of hamstring problems. She was absolutely brilliant in the first half and when she plays well, the US play well. More stifled in the second half but still really put in a shift. 

I'm trying really hard to not sound patronizing, but I thought England were decent. One thing the US are very good at is stopping teams from playing with both a high press and then swarming in midfield and making the game very compact. They did it to France, and now to England. It's not pretty, and I feel it often gets overlooked, but it's very effective. I would argue that a team with the technical ability of the US should be a more possession-based team, but Ellis' teams have never been the most comfortable in possession. 

I've really enjoyed watching England in the tournament. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Laddick01 said:
    Gave the eventual winners a good game. Still sloppy in areas but overall this tournament had shown a step up for the women’s game. Can’t be too disappointed with that. Well played England.
    Mmmmm.....yes and no.
  • Bloody Hell!!!   Watch a movie with Mrs SB whilst sky plussing the football so I can settle down with a glass and watch it when Mrs SB goes to bed. Mates instructed not to what’s app me. Leave phone in kitchen so not tempted to tune in here. Make sure tv isn’t left on BBC 1 or sky sports so I don’t inadvertently see the result whilst switching in the planner. Pour a glass. Sit down, national anthems. SB  junior who has no interest in football whatsoever wanders in and says “Hi dad, I see we lost to the yanks at football”. I explode. Mrs SB gets the hump as apparently “I could have watched the footy but chose to watch a movie with Mum” is somehow a dig at her.  Dog gets all Barky as we’re shouting at each other. Families eh!!!!!
    You sound as fed up as me! Football, you love it and hate it.....
  • 10 minutes into the main BBC news and they are still talking about it. 

Really?

The BBC seem desperate to push the women's game single handedly. It's just all a bit odd. (In my view)
  • I think England are up there with the USA team. They have a different game and they do give the ball away, but on another day they would have won that. They just have to let the growing game push them up that line a bit further. If I was Neville I would have picked Bright too - that has to change - she can't be first choice - we have to get the depth up so she isn't. Not picking on her - like I said, I would pick her at this time.

I think the USA are where they are and where they have been for years, but England are ahead of where they were four years ago and they will be further ahead in four years.  

• edited July 2019
    If White took a size smaller boot and Houghton could take a penalty, England would be in the Final. Can some ref expert explain to me that when the ref books the USA player for the penalty, why it is not then a sending off? I can understand if the ref deems it an accidental foul, but why book her then?
  • Two comments on that game which I thought was very entertaining.
    1. For the first time in this tournament I thought the referee was excellent. Two flash points that went to VAR and both got decision correct, and the rest refereed very well.

2. Why doesn’t Ellen White take penalties - she scores every other time she shoots !
  • Chizz said:
    A few minutes after the biggest women's football match ever televised in the UK and they're still talking about it?  Whatever next? 
    Lol, if you say so mate, if you say so.

Enjoy.
  • Off_it said:
    10 minutes into the main BBC news and they are still talking about it. 

Really?

The BBC seem desperate to push the women's game single handedly. It's just all a bit odd. (In my view)
    Yeah, blatant sexist leftist agenda. Wish their male perennial bottler counterparts got similar coverage. 
  • Sponsored links:

• We were too sloppy throughout the match. They weren’t a patch on the last match - I think the occasion got to several players. Having said that, USA really are a fantastic, athletic, skilful side and were always going to win the title. And as for Alex Morgan..........
    I was disappointed.

The football wasn't very good.

Is that gloating?
  • If White took a size smaller boot and Houghton could take a penalty, England would be in the Final. Can some ref expert explain to me that when the ref books the USA player for the penalty, why it is not then a sending off? 
    They have recently changed the ruling so that, if a penalty is given, the defender is booked, even if it denies a goalscoring opportunity, unless it's a deliberate/premeditated foul (in which case it's red). 
  • The more I think about that match the more frustrated I get. USA really were there for the taking today but we just couldn't build up any pressure because we were too busy giving the ball away. The sad thing is the likes of Bardsley, Houghton, Scott and White won't be there for the next World Cup. Hopefully we will have better players coming through to replace them but I like this team and it's a shame they haven't shown what they're capable of today
  • Two comments on that game which I thought was very entertaining.
    1. For the first time in this tournament I thought the referee was excellent. Two flash points that went to VAR and both got decision correct, and the rest refereed very well.

2. Why doesn’t Ellen White take penalties - she scores every other time she shoots !
    I'd have given her 8/10

She let herself down with the length of time she took before even reviewing the penalty decision
    I was disappointed.

The football wasn't very good.

Is that gloating?
    Yes. Bastard.
  • edited July 2019
    Our top scorer took a penalty when he was on a hat-trick and it was terrible and I expected him to miss before he took it. He finished the top scorer in the League but I told the team I didn't want him anywhere near penalties again. Some people are just not great penalty takers for whatever reason and if White doesn't fancy them, she shouldn't take them. I would have thought Bronze would be a good taker, but I suppose Neville went through it and Houghton was probably fine in training. I was worried when she stepped up as she wasn't herself today - the pressure seemed to affect her more than most. 
  • In terms of effort and desire we gave everything. In terms of being on our top form it wasn't quite there for long enough and that's been true in every match we played. We get away with it often but not against the best team in the world.

Neville has done well and we will get better. I look forward to the Olympics and European Championship.
  • DRAddick said:
    Off_it said:

Really?

Yeah, blatant sexist leftist agenda. Wish their male perennial bottler counterparts got similar coverage. 
    Zzzzzz
  • Off_it said:

Really?

Good for them. The women's game was single handedly sabotaged by the FA for 50 years just when it was taking off.