Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Women’s World Cup

Comments

• Options
    edited July 2019
    DRAddick said:
    Off_it said:
    10 minutes into the main BBC news and they are still talking about it. 

Really?

The BBC seem desperate to push the women's game single handedly. It's just all a bit odd. (In my view)
    Yeah, blatant sexist leftist agenda. Wish their male perennial bottler counterparts got similar coverage. 
    Lol. Really. lol.

So much anger.
  • Options
    So will Phil Neville stay with this team or take a club job?
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    Chizz said:
    If White took a size smaller boot and Houghton could take a penalty, England would be in the Final. Can some ref expert explain to me that when the ref books the USA player for the penalty, why it is not then a sending off? 
    They have recently changed the ruling so that, if a penalty is given, the defender is booked, even if it denies a goalscoring opportunity, unless it's a deliberate/premeditated foul (in which case it's red). 
    Thanks - that is a shame then. VAR and rule change cost us :) To be fair, it would have been a harsh sending off - but before the rule change she would have walked!
  • Options
    Stay if they'll have him I guess.
  • Options
    If I was him, I'd want to finish the job. Surely he has enough money and life isn't just about money.
  • Options
    Stay.

Olympics next year.
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    DRAddick said:
    Off_it said:
    10 minutes into the main BBC news and they are still talking about it. 

Really?

The BBC seem desperate to push the women's game single handedly. It's just all a bit odd. (In my view)
    Yeah, blatant sexist leftist agenda. Wish their male perennial bottler counterparts got similar coverage. 
    Lol. Really. lol.

So much anger.
    Sarcasm towards hypocrisy is not anger. It's simply a response to a silly point. 
  • Options
    I really enjoyed it. 
    Fine margins at this level. 
    Disappointed Steph took that pen. 
  • Options
    LenGlover said:
    Stay.

Olympics next year.
    And the 2021 euros are in England 
  • Options
    LenGlover said:
    Stay.

Olympics next year.
    And he can go a bit of TV punditry as well
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    MrOneLung said:
    LenGlover said:
    Stay.

Olympics next year.
    And the 2021 euros are in England 
    Have they set dates for the semi-finals yet? 
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    Before the tournament I was dismissive of the standard and to be honest I still am, but doesnt stop me from wanting us to win and feeling gutted for the girls. 
    Same here. It's shit and slow but I'll always want an England team to do well.
  • Options
    I thought it was an entertaining game.
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    I believe that was the 7th straight semi final that either the men or women's England team have lost in either WC or Euro's.
    In Future I may have to record the match and only watch it after I know the result.
    I feel this terrible sickness every time we lose. 
    I thought the USA second goal was quality.
    They hunt in packs and close down. Despite that we should've gone into ET. My head called the correct result and my heart was wrong yet again. 
    Mcmanus would've every right to say to Phill Neville to stuff it when picked in place of the suspended Bright. Southgate kept playing Sterling in the WC as a central striker despite not scoring for years. It's criminal to pick players when they are out of form. It's an insult to the bench.

I'm a tennis nut as well, Henman lost 7 semi final and Konta has lost 2 semi finals as well so far. Murray was good in SF but lost all his finals bar 3 in slams.

Gutted but not surprised.

• Options
    edited July 2019
    What I want to see now is England want to win the 3rd place match. You are either winners or losers in my book. It really gets on my nerves when the men's team are ambivalent to the third place matches. I think deep down, that is part of the problem. A winning mentality is every game and it is better to be third than fourth!  
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    Before the tournament I was dismissive of the standard and to be honest I still am, but doesnt stop me from wanting us to win and feeling gutted for the girls. 
    Absolutely. I'd want us to win a game of tiddlywinks, regardless of the opposition.

But in all honesty I was expecting more. The women's game has moved on massively in the past 20 years, most definitely. But I was expecting more. As a spectacle the games I've seen - and I have watched a few - have been quite disappointing. And as a whole massively disproportionate to the coverage it has been getting.

Again, just my view. Fair play if you want to call me sexist, left wing, right wing (bizarely) for expressing it. For that is your right.
  • Options
    England are a four pass team. They will give the ball away, but that doesn't stop them being effective. Because we are a four pass team, I don't like us playing it about at the back - I am surprised Neville didn't sort that out. But overall I think he did ok. Over time England may develop into a six or seven pass team - bUt there is a way of playing when you are a four pass team - especially in the women's game as it is now, that can be very effective. 

I could see some good runs but too often the person with the ball didn't look for them or even try to play the right balls. When they did get a decent ball behind the Americans, they looked very poor. That is how you beat them - and I think the occasion got to a few of ours. But I think improving skill levels will make a difference for England in the relatively short term.

P.S. I don't want to hear commentators telling me somebody has had a good game when they haven't. That shows what was wrong with the women's game in the past.
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    MrOneLung said:
    Same here. It's shit and slow but I'll always want an England team to do well.
    You must remind me of all the fast paced England games of recent years in 30 degree heat ?
  • Options
    It's a difficult situation for women's football.  It's on a journey to make it from an amateur pastime to a viable professional sport that can pay its own way through, ticket, TV rights and commercial revenue.  The USA has had a 15 to 20 year head start on the rest of the world, which both shows what can be done but might also harm the game through their dominance if the rest of the world can't catch up.

While some of the games have been exciting I think we're being shown an entertainment product that isn't quite ready for the exposure it's getting, hence some of the negativity regarding the overall standard of play.  On the other hand, the sport needs exposure in order to inspire the next generation of players, increase participation and drive standards up. Bit of a chicken/egg scenario.  Does the standard merit the coverage/does the coverage improve the standard?

Shame England went out, but if you defend like they did for the USA goals and pass as inconsistently as they did, you can't argue with the result.  
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    What level would that England team be at ?
    Would they be evenly matched against say Charlton Academy u-16's or maybe u-15s , i'm just trying to get a comparison of where the womans game is , not looking for an argument
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    Curb_It said:
    That's bizarre,  hope the english girl said far cough you patronising twunts
  • Options
    Would they be evenly matched against say Charlton Academy u-16's or maybe u-15s , i'm just trying to get a comparison of where the womans game is , not looking for an argument

The English women's football team are above the level of the England's men's team because they have reached 3 semi finals in a row in 2 world cups and 1 Euros.
    And that is a 100% fact.
  • Options

The English women's football team are above the level of the England's men's team because they have reached 3 semi finals in a row in 2 world cups and 1 Euros.
    And that is a 100% fact.
    Come on. Phil Jones would beat the women's team on his own and he spends 85% of every game on his ar$e.
  • Options
    Curb_It said:
    Did they clear the copyright to use Love Actually? 

Come on Richard Curtis/Working Title....send the hefty copyright infringement bill 
  • Options

And that is a 100% fact.
    Come on. Phil Jones would beat the women's team on his own and he spends 85% of every game on his ar$e.
    Men and women are different, in CL shock horror.

• Options

And that is a 100% fact.
    Men and women are different, in CL shock horror.

That's two odd comments in a row.

Try pointing out, and justifying, the differences to anyone working in the social science spaces in education. You'll be laughed  (actually, you'll be shouted at and hounded) out of every safe space for being a toxic male.

Anyway, tell us more about this fact that you speak of....
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    Absolutely no point comparing. The women's game will improve its skill levels - there is room for that. There is no reason why a woman can't be as skilful as a man. That is where we need to look beyond this tournament.

Keepers like Chile's Endler showed the level that can be achieved. The FA for little money can improve the level of keeper we have so we see results at the next World Cup!