Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Women’s World Cup

Comments

• Options
    It is about hurting and taking the next step for England. Which is close - if you are coming third or fourth all the time, one time it will go better. It feels like at long last the men have got on top of penalties. That is something Neville has to sort out as a priority - one out of four is the one thing that is not good enough in a major tournament and the main reason, ultimately, why we are not in the final.

The giving the ball away I am ok about. I think that will improve as the team gets stronger overall, but giving it away and winning it back was part of the England game in this tournament. 
  • Options
    I think it is good to increase the prize money but it felt like the numbers of teams was right - no point letting lots of teams weaker than Thailand through!
  • Options
    England can show they're in a class above the European masses and are in a tier with the USA and France tomorrow. Here's hoping 

(And no, the Netherlands aren't at that level. I guess we'll see on Sunday though)
  • Options
    Saw that the next Women's Euro Championships will be held in England in 2021. Hopefully the interest generated in the women's game by this world cup will roll over into Euro 2021, which I imagine England will have a good chance of winning.
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    If they Increase it to 32 we will just see more poor teams. I'm pleased they Increase to 24 because teams liked Italy and Chile showed their Improvement and showcase the women's game in their home country.
    (assume they showed highlights in Italy and Chile)

• Options
    Karen Carney is retiring from football after tomorrow at just 31. Karen made her debut at 17 and has played over 140 times for England. 

From 2005 to 2019, playing 7 major tournaments + 2012 GB team.

Saw her play for Chelsea live and for England. She had to overcome depression which is so debilitating, (I have that T shirt)  
    She has been such a good player but this tournament may of been one too many.

In 2 years the youngsters Stanways,Mead and Walsh will improve I believe plus other players will step up. We are getting there but nous is still missing from our game at the business end of Tournaments.

Not having worked out who had a 80% chance of scoring a penalty annoys me so much.
    David Batty was allowed to take one for England under Hoddle and he hadn't score one since he played for his school team at 13 !
    Batty dad said he spat out his beer when he saw him step up to take a pen. He said it was the bravest and daftest thing his lad had ever done as he couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo.

• Options
    Karen Carney is retiring from football after tomorrow at just 31. Karen made her debut at 17 and has played over 140 times for England. 

From 2005 to 2019, playing 7 major tournaments + 2012 GB team.

Saw her play for Chelsea live and for England. She had to overcome depression which is so debilitating, (I have that T shirt)  
    She has been such a good player but this tournament may of been one too many.

In 2 years the youngsters Stanways,Mead and Walsh will improve I believe plus other players will step up. We are getting there but nous is still missing from our game at the business end of Tournaments.

Not having worked out who had a 80% chance of scoring a penalty annoys me so much.
    David Batty was allowed to take one for England under Hoddle and he hadn't score one since he played for his school team at 13 !
    Batty dad said he spat out his beer when he saw him step up to take a pen. He said it was the bravest and daftest thing his lad had ever done as he couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo.

Took all 3 of my daughters to The Valley to watch England play Holland c2006. Got us all in for free as a season ticket holder if memory serves me right.

Carney played on the right wing that day and put over more pin point crosses in that one match than Dennis Rommedahl managed in his entire time at Charlton.

We followed her career from thereon and I hope she gets some match time tomorrow. She has been a tremendous servant to the game and, as mentioned by @soapboxsam, an inspiration in overcoming and coping with depression.
  • Options
    NugNug
    edited July 2019
    Pretty amazing story and the fact they played in front of 90,000 fans in the Azteca in Mexico is bonkers. Movie to be made of this I'm sure.

https://youtu.be/1NZAFF7TP-s
  • Options
    If they Increase it to 32 we will just see more poor teams. I'm pleased they Increase to 24 because teams liked Italy and Chile showed their Improvement and showcase the women's game in their home country.
    (assume they showed highlights in Italy and Chile)

I was in Milan a couple of weeks ago and there was way more coverage of the tournament there (Italy were still in) than in England. Even sent a message to an Italian friend as I was surprised that the front cover of Gazetta featured the women’s team 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    England finished 3rd in the 2015 World Cup

If we finish 3rd this year, is it progress or is it just the same as 4 years ago
  • Options
    1-0 Sweden
  • Options
    1-0 Sweden
    The usual rocky defending
  • Options
    Sweden's forwards are too quick for us.
  • Options
    Sweden seem far more up for it than England at the moment.
  • Options
    Stokes should be in rather than Greenwood. G
  • Options
    2-0
  • Options
    Can't defend against that.
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    2-1 Kirby
  • Options
    Nice goal
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    2-2 White
  • Options
    That’s a great finish by white
  • Options
    Still dont know why she didnt take the penalty against USA
  • Options
    That's the Fran Kirby we expect!
  • Options
    That’s not a handball you can’t tell
  • Options
    VAR disallowed it

Still 2-1 Sweden
  • Options
    that’s a shit decision
  • Options
    So harsh again
  • Options
    So harsh on White.
  • Options
    If it’s not clear you have to stick with your decision, that’s how it works in rugby. None of those views were clear. Going to be fun and games this year in the PL with VAR.