Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Women’s World Cup

Comments

• Options
    edited July 2019
    We don't continuously compare women's and men's tennis. You can enjoy both equally for what they are. Women's football has moved forward at a terrific pace and the further improvement that is to surely come is exciting. We do have to stop praising people for a good game when they haven't been great. We should be more demanding as that is what is required as you get better.  
    I think we do with the tennis and the old chestnut is why should the women who play 3 Sets max against the 5 sets of the men get the same money.  I believe in equal pay if you do the same work. A 50 minute woman's final against a 4 hour men's final !
    I take every argument on its merit but seems like the women have reaped the rewards of equality despite the difference in Tennis.

Sorry if this upsets valley Gary by doing a comparison but it's impossible in the case of tennis.
  • Options
    Good to know I’ve got a fan. Obsessed.
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    When ever England get knocked out in semi finals, or GB tennis players Henman 7 times and Konta 3 times and counting, plus Murray was good in Semi finals but did lose some semi finals, I always feel flat for the final But in this case I will be more Orange than Simon Jordan and the tango man.

I always felt the winner would come from the USA v France Quarter final. I felt this before a ball was kicked after seeing the draw. Despite the USA not being as good as 4 years ago I always felt they would have too much nous for the European teams.
    The Netherlands aren't playing as well as two years ago when they won the Euros on home soil but have reached another Final.

I expect the USA to win But...

Auntie Sam could lose to Sam van boxes Orange Army.

• Options
    Almost a carbon copy of last year

2018-England Men lose 2-1 in the Semis
    2019-England Women lose 2-1 in the Semis

2018-England Men lose 2-0 in the 3rd Place Playoff
    2019-England Women lose 2-1 in the 3rd Place Playoff
    I wonder why some one thinks that's a LOL ?
    Should the mens and womens game never be compared to each other ?

7 matches played in some of the hottest weather ever recorded in France. I don't  believe fitness is a problem for the English players, though ball retention still needs to improve. The understanding between players wasn't always there, and moves broke down and then even more energy was needed.

The senior players in the England squad weren't full time professional players until they were in their early 20's so the next world cup we will notice the difference.
    It’s a LOL because 1. Both results were different as the men’s drew in normal time but lost in ET and 2. it’s completely and utterly fucking pointless. Absolutely no problem with the women’s game itself, it just really needs people on both sides of the like/dislike comparing it to the men’s at every opportunity.
    I understand that you think women's football is a little pastime and shouldn't encroach on the mens game. You like others turn up and slag it off. But if you have a problem with the comparison being drawn that our men and women's both reached a semi final playing against their own sex then that is strange. 

I only went OTT at the beginning of the Women's world cup because of the criticism of this WC getting so much exposure.  You then did the predictable joke saying I must have pink hair!

In 1920 an international match between England and France attracted a 25000 crowd at Deepdale, Preston. So the all male FA banned women's football from using any stadium or fields under their jurisdiction.
    This ban lasted 50 years. 

The FA blazers of 100 years ago wanted the females in the kitchen doing house work,  and seeing irons and hoover gags that do the rounds, some males of today have the same mindset.

Ps. I went to about 60 football matches last season of which 8 were played by females.
    A combination of the good, the bad and ugly football was seen over the various matches.
    It was just football.
    I think that is unfair. From what i have seen he has actually watched games and just given an opinion. We all have opinions and it doesnt mean we are just turning up here to slag off as you say. But i suspect that yes there may be some that do that, not a lot.
  • Options
    Women’s football.......Mmmmmm!
    The thing is, as a committed sports fan I only have so much time to watch the numerous sports that I love, football being the most pleasurable.
    I can, for most of the year, watch a game live on TV......now one has to ask oneself the following.
    Why would I choose to watch a game far less skilful and physically attractive than a men’s professional game.........the answer is quite simply I wouldn’t.
    I love to hear that women are more and more taking up the game but to compare it favourably with modern day men’s professional football is IMHO never going to happen.......it’s light years away.
    The standard is just never going to be as an attractive proposition.
    Is this an argument for not watching women’s football or not watching Charlton anymore?!!
  • Options
    Good to know I’ve got a fan. Obsessed.
    I'm obsessed with competitive sport at all levels. If it makes you feel significant to think i'm a fan  obsessed with you then fine.
    You started the cheap jibe with the pink hair remark. TBF I nearly LOL that but best not to encourage you.

I have been encouraging and critical of England on this thread. If you want the last word you can have it. As long as it's not a low blow I will move on.

Now back to the Football that will KO at 4. 

Ps. If it's a shite game I will say so, but I do look for the positives not the negatives at this early stage of professional Women's football.
  • Options
    edited July 2019

se9addick said:
    Women’s football.......Mmmmmm!
    The thing is, as a committed sports fan I only have so much time to watch the numerous sports that I love, football being the most pleasurable.
    I can, for most of the year, watch a game live on TV......now one has to ask oneself the following.
    Why would I choose to watch a game far less skilful and physically attractive than a men’s professional game.........the answer is quite simply I wouldn’t.
    I love to hear that women are more and more taking up the game but to compare it favourably with modern day men’s professional football is IMHO never going to happen.......it’s light years away.
    The standard is just never going to be as an attractive proposition.
    Is this an argument for not watching women’s football or not watching Charlton anymore?!!

You’ve got me foxed there.
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    Barcelona winger Lieke Martens who went off at HT with a bad big toe is starting for the Dutch. 

Rapinoe is starting despite missing the semi final.

As its estimated there will be 30K USA fans there you can see the  Americans like winners. Hope Solo feels her team will win because they are fitter and close teams down quicker.  I would love to see the stats on their games. To the naked eye they seem to but despite the iffy defending the 2 crosses were pin point for their goals against England. Their English born Manager is a course and distance winner  But I think the European teams will go past them in 4 years time. If England knew how to score pens we may of in this tournament.
  • Options
    Well we’re alot better at football than we are at cricket !
  • Options
    After 3 minutes The Dutch have parked 5 orange Vans 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Rooting for the USA of course but I and many others here are a little put-off by the gamesmanship of some of the US players. Also not terribly thrilled by some of the players inserting politics into the news. So if Netherlands wins, I’ll be bummed but won’t be crestfallen. Plus, orange is my favorite color.
  • Options
    Colour*  :)
  • Options
    Netherlands will win it on what ive seen football wise.

My prediction a few weeks ago. They looked the strongest in defence and seemed to know thier system and positions. Hope they do it now and dont let me down
  • Options
    Wow, that first half was not very pleasant on the eye.
  • Options
    Wrf was that? 2 players go down with a head injury? Both going for the ball. Ref gives USA the ball and player touches it twice and gives it to USA player. If that is a free kick to USA then that is a foul free kick. If not and they were supposed to give it to dutch then bad spirtsmanship. Also if is a dead ball are they allowed 2 touches??
  • Options
    The Dutch team were under the cosh for long periods but they don't take prisoners.
    England were too flakey. The Dutch have been robust and had too stop the USA team from scoring early doors.

The USA team passing have been excellent at times but the Dutch keeper has been decent.

The Dutch counter attacked late on and I wonder what damage the 7th match for both side in 35 degree heat will cause.

• Options
    The Netherlands have managed to hang on in there.

The USA will get frustrated not having it all their own way hopefully, the gamesmanship maybe the first sign of that, and then you never know.

• Options
    Wow, that first half was not very pleasant on the eye.
    The Netherlands team have not given the USA team any respect. I thought some good passing from the USA team but couldn't for the first time in this WC score a goal in the first 15 minutes or 1st half.
  • Options
    Rudders22 said:
    Wrf was that? 2 players go down with a head injury? Both going for the ball. Ref gives USA the ball and player touches it twice and gives it to USA player. If that is a free kick to USA then that is a foul free kick. If not and they were supposed to give it to dutch then bad spirtsmanship. Also if is a dead ball are they allowed 2 touches??
    It’s one of the new laws for the new season: if the referee has to stop play for an injury the game restarts with a drop ball giving possession to the team that had the ball before the whistle was blown. So the USA player took the drop ball & could just play on.
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    Here we go again. This is why you need  a good penalty taker in your side.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Morgan was looking for the foul. 
  • Options
    Stonewall pen - right decision. Unfortunately, as a Dutch supporter for the day.
  • Options
    Not sure how you got to that conclusion. She just got karate kicked on the shoulder.
  • Options
    Penalty was right decision but usa player was gling for a penalty. Her eyes were closed and her arms were across her body. She was not going to stay on her feet anyway. Ibwant dutch but sadly penalty. 
  • Options
    Not sure how you got to that conclusion. She just got karate kicked on the shoulder.
    Yeah on first look I thought there was nothing in but on replay she gets studs in her shoulder while jumping. I'm pretty lax on letting players get away with things in the box they couldn't elsewhere but that had to be a pen. 
  • Options
    All over now. I don't see Holland coming back.
  • Options
    It was a pen. But Morgan in the replay was getting her arm across to protect herself, looked to me like she was ready for the foul not trying to get the ball
  • Options
    That's the goal that should have won it. Not a VAR penalty even if it was correct.
  • Options
    2 -0 now anyway. Dont see Holland scoring 2
  • Options
    Rose Lavelle has been the revelation of the tournament. She's a brilliant, brilliant footballer. Would be in with a good shout for the golden ball were it not for Pinoe.