Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Women’s World Cup

Comments

• Options
    I think Sam is being sarcastic
  • Options
    The professional setup in this country is two years old. Things are going to improve further. Where is the USA improvement going to come from? - given that there is not a big gap between the teams as of now,
  • Options
    Absolutely no point comparing. The women's game will improve its skill levels - there is room for that. There is no reason why a woman can't be as skilful as a man. That is where we need to look beyond this tournament.

Keepers like Chile's Endler showed the level that can be achieved. The FA for little money can improve the level of keeper we have so we see results at the next World Cup! 

Money is not an issue. No country is funded more. 
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    Men are from Mars and Woman are from Venus. I believe it was confirmed by Patrick Moore many moons ago when looking at the sky at night.

An odd comment that the English Women's team aren't more successful than the Men when they have reached 3 semi finals in a row.
    How can that fact be wrong ?

I will go to my grave believing men and woman are different.

When I coached youngsters I know that up to 10 years old a  few girl are as good as the boys. How can it be when testosterone kicks in after this. Why are men surprised that 16 year old boys can beat a top women's team ?

Caster Semenya has more testosterone than you and I put together and that's why it makes a mockery when she jogs around  800 metres and beats a World class female field by a distance.

Do you disagree with any of the above ? Other planets are available @Big_Bad_World

• Options
    edited July 2019
    What level would that England team be at ?
    Would they be evenly matched against say Charlton Academy u-16's or maybe u-15s , i'm just trying to get a comparison of where the womans game is , not looking for an argument
    The American and Australian women’s team’s have both fairly recently played the under 16’s teams of men’s clubs in their respective countries. In both instance they lost heavily ( I can’t remember the exact scores but it was something like 4-1 and 7-0 ).  By the time that boys reach 16 the additional strength and speed of being male starts to really kick in.

However, that is the same in all sports where those qualities are an important feature. However women against other women is, to coin a phrase, a level playing field and matches can be exciting in their own right. We must all suspect that Liverpool ot Man City would hammer Charlton or Sunderland but that didn’t stop 75,000 plus going to Wembley in May.
  • Options
    I will watch the Holland v Sweden Match and hope that the winner will be the team that can beat the USA team. Only because I'm convinced that it will be good for the women's game not to have one nation keep dominating.

Plus Morgan drinking the cup of tea shows that it's war after scoring that superb goal.
  • Options
    Men are from Mars and Woman are from Venus. I believe it was confirmed by Patrick Moore many moons ago when looking at the stars at night.

An odd comment that the English Women's team aren't more successful than the Men when they have reached 3 semi finals in a row.

When I coached youngsters I know that up to 10 years old a  few girl are as good as the boys. How can it be when testosterone kicks in after this. Why are men surprised that 16 year old boys can beat a top women's team ?

Caster Semenya has more testosterone than you and I put together and that's why it makes a mockery when she jogs around  800 metres and beats a World class female field by a distance.

Do you disagree with any of the above ? Other planets are available @Big_Bad_World

I actually believe we're singing from the same hymn sheet. My point is that there are people out there that believe men and women are the same (hence the social sciences reference) and will try and persecute anyone for suggesting otherwise.

The 'more successful' comment/comparison can't be made as the women are competing in a vastly inferior and under-developed sport. Also, the men have won a world cup.

• Options
    Curb_It said:
    American "soccer" supporter culture comes across as proper noncey.

Weirdos.
  • Options
    I get that women and men’s football shouldn’t really be compared but unfortunately the reality is that it is. 

It is the agenda of the BBC to try and make the women’s game into something it is not and to make it seem as you are sexist if you don’t buy into women’s football 

Yes a lot of people have watched the games but 5.7m people watched the GB Women win gold at Curling in the Winter Olympics. We get behind our national teams. 

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Curb_It said:
    Strange, especially as it's posted from an official news outlet and not some random in his bedroom.

Not quite sure you'd see Sky doing that.
  • Options
    Oh he was being serious about the more successful comment.

Terrible comparison seeing as the men have won a World Cup and the women’s game has about 6 good teams and the rest are shocking.
  • Options
    Men are from Mars and Woman are from Venus. I believe it was confirmed by Patrick Moore many moons ago when looking at the stars at night.

I actually believe we're singing from the same hymn sheet. My point is that there are people out there that believe men and women are the same (hence the social sciences reference) and will try and persecute anyone for suggesting otherwise.

The 'more successful' comment/comparison can't be made as the women are competing in a vastly inferior and under-developed sport. Also, the men have won a world cup.

The men's WC started in 1930, and the women's in 1991. So they had a 61 year start.  The weird thing is I watch about 60 games live last season from my local team Whyteleafe in the Eight tier to the victory at Wembley and the best defending I saw all season was back early in the season at Kingston when Man city Woman drew 0-0 with the home team Chelsea. Both keepers were superb, one was Bardsley for city who may of stopped the first USA goal.(if fit to play)
    Millie Bright was also top notch in this game !  I guess the pressure of the big stage may have affected the players as there was more than 2k spectators.

The standard in most matches went from the sublime to the ridiculous. Great goal keeping performances ( Chile keeper in that 3-0 defeat to the USA was excellent) to poor.

I continue to try and multi task by watching the cricket WC, and Wimbledon but if England go out in the Semi( if we reach them ) by our talented batsmen emulating the poor shots that they produced against the Aussies, and Jo Konta reaches the semi final and snatches defeat from the jaws of victory similar to the French Semi final when she missed the easiest smash at 5-2 and 15-40 on her opponents serve then I'm done with Semi finals for ever more. Gone except in nightmares. ( Gaza stick your foot out further !)

• Options
    Oh he was being serious about the more successful comment.

Terrible comparison seeing as the men have won a World Cup and the women’s game has about 6 good teams and the rest are shocking.
    I just stated a true fact that we have reached 3 WC semi finals in a row.
    Be careful about the 6 good teams and the rest are shocking because folk might think you are talking about the Cricket world cup !

• Options
    edited July 2019

The men's WC started in 1930, and the women's in 1991. So they had a 61 year start.  The weird thing is I watch about 60 games live last season from my local team Whyteleafe in the Eight tier to the victory at Wembley and the best defending I saw all season was back early in the season at Kingston when Man city Woman drew 0-0 with the home team Chelsea. Both keepers were superb, one was Bardsley for city who may of stopped the first USA goal.(if fit to play)
    Millie Bright was also top notch in this game !  I guess the pressure of the big stage may have affected the players as there was more than 2k spectators.

The standard in most matches went from the sublime to the ridiculous. Great goal keeping performances ( Chile keeper in that 3-0 defeat to the USA was excellent) to poor.

I continue to try and multi task by watching the cricket WC, and Wimbledon but if England go out in the Semi( if we reach them ) by our talented batsmen emulating the poor shots that they produced against the Aussies, and Jo Konta reaches the semi final and snatches defeat from the jaws of victory similar to the French Semi final when she missed the easiest smash at 5-2 and 15-40 on her opponents serve then I'm done with Semi finals for ever more. Gone except in nightmares. ( Gaza stick your foot out further !)

It's irrelevant as I was just stating a true fact that the women's team aren't as successful as the men's as they play in an inferior competition, standard wise and from a developmental perspective ;)
  • Options
    Curb_It said:
    Strange, especially as it's posted from an official news outlet and not some random in his bedroom.

Not quite sure you'd see Sky doing that.
    Posted by Fox - I would expect nothing less...  
  • Options
    Before I sent the email to Phil Neville telling him to pick Mead and Daly I wish I added to play Mead on the Right where she scored some cracking goals for Arsenal  and England and Daly on the Left where she is better at the defensive duty and could have helped out Stokes, they attacked down this side because Jill Kerr out thought Neville.
    Mead put in one decent cross from the left which led to the goal but would have done more damage down the other side.
    He opted for Daley to cover Bronze on the right which I understand but we lost our good crosses from Mead ( Beth did take the shocking corner that landed in row Z but in play would have been fine)
  • Options
    Nug said:
    I’ve really enjoyed this World Cup, last night was frustrating though, one or two players not up to the US teams level. As someone with a lot of links to the US and love the place I do really dislike the US women’s team though. For the most part a bunch of arrogant, over privileged, white middle class college girls. Not bitter!
    I'm incredibly bitter this morning. The worst part is the narrative of USA as some kind of all-conquering untouchable team. The reality is they were OK last night, but mostly they just let us make our own mistakes, which we helpfully did. I do think that if Houghton had put that penalty away though it would have been a different story. USA were starting to find it harder to get in behind our defenders after running all game and we were finding the gaps in their lines. Scott was breaking forward more, Kirby was probing the lines and White looked like she would score if you got the ball within an inch of her foot. Extra time would have been very interesting, even though they probably would have brought Rapinoe on to challenge an oddly out of sorts Bronze. The reality is that in terms of our squad and the USA performance we will possibly never have a better chance than we had last night to get to a final, and instead we have to hear about the 'dominance' of a team we really should have punished.
  • Options

The weird thing is I watch about 60 games live last season from my local team Whyteleafe in the Eight tier to the victory at Wembley and the best defending I saw all season was back early in the season at Kingston when Man city Woman drew 0-0 with the home team Chelsea. Both keepers were superb, one was Bardsley for city who may of stopped the first USA goal.(if fit to play)
    The best defending relative to the standard on offer, not the actual best defending.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The USA are Beatable. But since 1991 they and Germany have been the powerhouse teams. Our A game last night for 90 minutes or 120 minutes may have won.
    Even Bronze and Houghton made basic mistakes last night.  The truth is USA are hard to beat in women's Football.  Rule one have a designated Penalty taker who has a 90% record of scoring.  We missed 3 out of 4 in this WC which is poor. 
    Holland or Sweden can beat the USA, they will have about a 35% of winning though their manager must try to point out they have a 50/50 chance if a good game plan is carried out to the letter and no major errors.
    This cycle is coming to to the end for the USA with Solo, Lloyd and maybe after this WC Rapinoe all calling it a day.
    Anyone who didn't see Carly Lloyd play at her best missed a trick.

Looking at a few of the new generation of College players the next generation will be even fitter and better coached than ever.
    Europe still needs to bridge the gap but no reason why not despite the US having more players to pick from.
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    One thing that has really grated for me is the female commentators and experts using ridiculous terms for tactics, which they had presumably harvested from some American coaching manual. “ We need to get forward and produce a power play” ??? “ Give Lucy Bronze the ball so we can have an overload “!  I would suggest  that the advice,       “ Don’t give the ball to the opposition in or around your own fucking penalty area “ would be of more use,  especially to the England  goalkeeper.

The continuous attempts to build slowly from the back only to give the ball away in their own half smacked of a team being over-coached. To his credit Dion Dublin alluded to this when he said at half time “ ...if you can’t do it, don’t do it “.
  • Options
    Mametz said:
    One thing that has really grated for me is the female commentators and experts using ridiculous terms for tactics, which they had presumably harvested from some American coaching manual. “ We need to get forward and produce a power play” ??? “ Give Lucy Bronze the ball so we can have an overload “ ! I would suggest  that the phrase “ Don’t give the ball to the opposition in or around your own penalty area “ would be of more use,  especially to the England  goalkeeper.

A lot of that comes from those pundits playing in the US college or professional system, where that language is used by coaches 
  • Options
    One of the coaches at my college used to advise me to put my 'PK's' in the 'upper 90'. 
  • Options
    I heard an American pundit say that Brazil had 'made a game-winning free kick' that irrationally boiled my blood the other day
  • Options
    When we warmed up as well, we used to clap as a team when we changed legs on an exercise. Actually makes me cringe thinking about it.
  • Options
    One of the coaches at my college used to advise me to put my 'PK's' in the 'upper 90'. 
    God help America's nonagenerians if Wayne Rooney is getting similar instruction  stateside.
  • Options
    Show me on the doll where he touched you... 
  • Options
    Cut out the errors and England can beat the USA. But for every England team, male or female - in every team sport - that has been our undoing for years and years and years...   
    It brings me absolutely no pleasure to revisit this. Hey ho... 
  • Options
    When we warmed up as well, we used to clap as a team when we changed legs on an exercise. Actually makes me cringe thinking about it.

Was that when you ran away to join the circus ?