Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Women’s World Cup

Comments

• Options
    edited July 2019
    Handball rule is another one that needs reviewing in the age of VAR. how exactly is White supposed to avoid the ball striking her arm there? and it was 50 tit as well. 
  • Options
    When did clear and obvious go out the window 
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    It’s not time to ditch VAR just yet, but its use at this World Cup has really shown some flaws. The biggest issue still is the quality of decision making by the officials though. The video evidence is what it is, but the referees have been far too keen to overturn their own decisions. Some of the rules have to be looked at too to give clearer instruction to the referees. It’s not in the interests of the game to have a ton of goals ruled out because a ball brushes a strikers arm in the build up, they had a toe nail in an offside position.

I still agree with the general principle of giving referees the best chance to make the right decision but what we’re seeing is some just aren’t up to it no matter how much help they’re given. 
  • Options
    Totally agree with Dion Dublin crazy handball decision against Ellen Wight good centre forward play rolling the CH there, no intent to gain an advantage, the rule needs sorting it's crap.
  • Options
    Gone right off VAR now. Ditch it.
  • Options
    No chance it’ll be ditched. Fifa are too stubborn.
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    No chance it’ll be ditched. Fifa are too stubborn.
    I reckon you'd have gone into one @ValleyGary had you had a goal chalked off like that 😉.
  • Options
    Bet Cameroon players are laughing after having 2 goals disallowed with VAR in our last 2 games
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    Bet Cameroon players are laughing after having 2 goals disallowed with VAR in our last 2 games
    The Var decisions were correct in the Cameroon game as the law stands. Harsh when the forward is facing the other way and is out wide.
    Seemed really harsh to disallow White's goal in this game for a hand ball that didn't appear to happen.

Only saw 1st half on phone as was well into the Konta come back and win. But Greenwood made a mistake while Houghton was off pitch. Not sure the season in the championship had improved Greenwoods defending but TBF she is decent going forward.  
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Ellen White looks so tired!
  • Options
    England deserve more from this game but running out of steam. Passing getting very sloppy. 
  • Options
    Not going to happen for us today
  • Options
    LenGlover said:
    Not going to happen for us today
    Got a feeling you are right. Final ball not there and legs gone.
  • Options
    Headed off the line by Sweden !
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    Proper bit of Jason Pierce style defending there
  • Options
    3 semi finals in a row is great BUT still a tad short of the big prize. Not even a Lucy Bronze out of this competition. Still a work in progress.
  • Options
    They have been an inspiration to many young girls and can be proud of their progress.
     Having said that, our fitness levels have perhaps let us down at times. Onwards and upwards, 2021 in England will be brilliant.
  • Options
    Almost a carbon copy of last year

2018-England Men lose 2-1 in the Semis
    2019-England Women lose 2-1 in the Semis

2018-England Men lose 2-0 in the 3rd Place Playoff
    2019-England Women lose 2-1 in the 3rd Place Playoff
  • Options
    Not as good as Sweden.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Proper bit of Jason Pierce style defending there
    Ahh, the Lay Back In The Sun approach
  • Options
    edited July 2019

I wonder why some one thinks that's a LOL ?
    Should the mens and womens game never be compared to each other ?

7 matches played in some of the hottest weather ever recorded in France. I don't  believe fitness is a problem for the English players, though ball retention still needs to improve. The understanding between players wasn't always there, and moves broke down and then even more energy was needed.

The senior players in the England squad weren't full time professional players until they were in their early 20's so the next world cup we will notice the difference.
  • Options

7 matches played in some of the hottest weather ever recorded in France. I don't  believe fitness is a problem for the English players, though ball retention still needs to improve. The understanding between players wasn't always there, and moves broke down and then even more energy was needed.

The senior players in the England squad weren't full time professional players until they were in their early 20's so the next world cup we will notice the difference.
    It’s a LOL because 1. Both results were different as the men’s drew in normal time but lost in ET and 2. it’s completely and utterly fucking pointless. Absolutely no problem with the women’s game itself, it just really needs people on both sides of the like/dislike comparing it to the men’s at every opportunity.
  • Options

Honestly, no they shouldn’t. 
  • Options
    edited July 2019

It’s a LOL because 1. Both results were different as the men’s drew in normal time but lost in ET and 2. it’s completely and utterly fucking pointless. Absolutely no problem with the women’s game itself, it just really needs people on both sides of the like/dislike comparing it to the men’s at every opportunity.
    I understand that you think women's football is a little pastime and shouldn't encroach on the mens game. You like others turn up and slag it off. But if you have a problem with the comparison being drawn that our men and women's both reached a semi final playing against their own sex then that is strange. 

I only went OTT at the beginning of the Women's world cup because of the criticism of this WC getting so much exposure.  You then did the predictable joke saying I must have pink hair!

In 1920 an international match between England and France attracted a 25000 crowd at Deepdale, Preston. So the all male FA banned women's football from using any stadium or fields under their jurisdiction.
    This ban lasted 50 years. 

The FA blazers of 100 years ago wanted the females in the kitchen doing house work,  and seeing irons and hoover gags that do the rounds, some males of today have the same mindset.

Ps. I went to about 60 football matches last season of which 8 were played by females.
    A combination of the good, the bad and ugly football was seen over the various matches.
    It was just football.
  • Options
    I was very disapointed with yesterday's performance. We saw why Millie bright was in the team basically. 
  • Options
    edited July 2019

I understand that you think women's football is a little pastime and shouldn't encroach on the mens game. You like others turn up and slag it off. But it you have a problem with the comparison being drawn then our men and and women's both reached a semi final playing against their own sex then that is strange. 

I only went OTT at the beginning of the Women's world cup because of the criticism of this WC getting so much exposure.  You then did the predictable joke saying I must have pink hair!

In 1920 an international match between England and France attracted a 25000 crowd at Deepdale, Preston. So the all male FA banned women's football from using any stadium or fields under their jurisdiction.
    This ban lasted 50 years. 

The FA blazers of 100 years ago wanted the females in the kitchen and doing house work, seeing the irons and hoover gag that do the rounds their male counterparts of today have the same mindset.

Did you actually read what I wrote before you put up another peculiar defensive post or is just the lack of sleep?

At what point did I say it was ‘a little pastime’? I also haven’t turned up to slag it off. I’ve given criticism when it’s due and given praise when something goods happened. It’s no surprise with how the current level is within the women’s game. that the criticism outweighs the praise. 

The comparison needs to stop for the sake of the women’s game, not the men’s. It should be respected in its own right, not continuously compared as its utterly pointless. What’s the point in comparing Charlton women always beating Millwall when the men can’t? What’s the point in comparing a top flight men’s attendance with a top flight women’s? There is none. Let the women’s game grow in its own right. The only comparisons worth being made is the progression over the last few years within itself.

Its growing, that’s a great thing. But you’re not gonna please everyone. Some people like men’s tennis but don’t enjoy women’s tennis and vice versa because even tho they share the same rules, it’s a different spectacle. It really is that simple.
  • Options
    We don't continuously compare women's and men's tennis. You can enjoy both equally for what they are. Women's football has moved forward at a terrific pace and the further improvement that is to surely come is exciting. We do have to stop praising people for a good game when they haven't been great. We should be more demanding as that is what is required as you get better.  
  • Options
    Women’s football.......Mmmmmm!
    The thing is, as a committed sports fan I only have so much time to watch the numerous sports that I love, football being the most pleasurable.
    I can, for most of the year, watch a game live on TV......now one has to ask oneself the following.
    Why would I choose to watch a game far less skilful and physically attractive than a men’s professional game.........the answer is quite simply I wouldn’t.
    I love to hear that women are more and more taking up the game but to compare it favourably with modern day men’s professional football is IMHO never going to happen.......it’s light years away.
    The standard is just never going to be as an attractive proposition.
  • Options
    Women’s football.......Mmmmmm!
    The thing is, as a committed sports fan I only have so much time to watch the numerous sports that I love, football being the most pleasurable.
    I can, for most of the year, watch a game live on TV......now one has to ask oneself the following.
    Why would I choose to watch a game far less skilful and physically attractive than a men’s professional game.........the answer is quite simply I wouldn’t.
    I love to hear that women are more and more taking up the game but to compare it favourably with modern day men’s professional football is IMHO never going to happen.......it’s light years away.
    The standard is just never going to be as an attractive proposition.
    An honest appraisal which I respect.
    Watching Novak a couple of seasons ago wasn't physically attractive or Roger effing Johnson.
    I take it you actually watched Charlton in the 3 tier as opposed to Man City ? 

I do also watch football at a semi pro level (men's)I think it may be to spot the artisan among the skillfully challenged.