Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Women’s World Cup

Comments

• Options
    Lavelle went off with a hammy against England. Superb work by the physio and lovely finish 

• Options
    Game over. Hopefully by the time of next World Cup women's teams inprove in that someone will beat these muggy arrogant Americans. They are too good for everyone else. 
  • Options
    Rudders22 said:
    Game over. Hopefully by the time of next World Cup women's teams inprove in that someone will beat these muggy arrogant Americans. They are too good for everyone else. 
    They are a bit ahead of everyone it seems
  • Options
    Credit to the USA.

They have had a bit more in their locker than everybody else going forwards.

Don't like the arrogance but that's the nature of the beast.
  • Options
    Arrogance is fine if you win. They have won so they dont care
  • Options
    Only one player has looked like scoring everytime she got in the box this WC.
    Ellen White who put the ball in the net 8 times. Only 6 counted.  
  • Options
    The only team the USA ran riot against was Thailand who parked two buses.
    Unfortunately they were parked vertically to the goal not horizontal and the USA scored 13 !
  • Options
    The Swedes, Dutch andcus I feel are all about the aame level although i feel although we got to semi final i thought we underperformed and passing was woeful. 
  • Options
    Only one player has looked like scoring everytime she got in the box this WC.
    Ellen White who put the ball in the net 8 times. Only 6 counted.  
    Agree. If you picked a team of the tournament she would be the only one to get near it. 
  • Options
    The cream rose to the top and the best team won the Women's world Cup.

"Women game is dross"

A post by a CL member.

Maybe not ?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Decent final. No doubt the best team in the tournament won it. They have been playing professional football much longer than Europeans. I'm sure Europeans teams will get closer in 4 years
  • Options
    I think VAR here has worked better here than most other places I’ve seen it used lately. Yes? No?
  • Options
    I didnt watch any of the last Womens world cup. I watched a lot of this year. Is that coz BBC pushed it i dont know but i enjoyed it. 
  • Options
    Any one want a laugh ?

Go to the player rater and see the scores on the doors on the BBC.

Every single Dutch player is higher than any USA player !

Van den Sanden who came on as sub late on got 8.97 LOL

Lavelle got 6.37 and was voted lower than every Netherlands player.

I went to vote but was too late. 
    Must be the pro EU folk.
  • Options
    I didnt watch any of the last Womens world cup. I watched a lot of this year. Is that coz BBC pushed it i dont know but i enjoyed it. 
    Last one was in Canada so a lot of the games kicked off relatively late, and from memory were  on BBC 2 or 3 
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    Last one was in Canada so a lot of the games kicked off relatively late, and from memory were  on BBC 2 or 3 
    This year it has had good share of BBC budget im sure. Womens football will grow but until the WSL gets decent attendence then we will stay the same. .about top 4 in the world
  • Options
    The female pundit on talksport this afternoon was quite scathing that for the second biggest budget in the sport we should have at least matched the previous performance. Neville also got a caning for calling the 3rd place play off a nonsense game after they lost it.  
  • Options
    Until fans go and attend WSL then nothing will change in regards money. It has been pushed this year and i think they done a good job raising the game but if they dont follow up then it is pointless.
    Why not start showing the WSL free to air on BBC or ITV that may be a start? 
  • Options
    You can watch WSL on the red button or on bbc sport..
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Any one want a laugh ?

Must be the pro EU folk.
    That’s the kind of odd polling results I see on Drudge Report all the time. Like when you watch the Democratic debate and somehow Ron Paul wins the poll.
  • Options
    Any one want a laugh ?

Must be the pro EU folk.
    That’s the kind of odd polling results I see on Drudge Report all the time. Like when you watch the Democratic debate and somehow Ron Paul wins the poll.

For most matches, it has worked fine and has been an accurate summary of the game. Today has seen subterfuge on a grand scale. The whole democratic process has gone to hell in a handcart. Forget the Brexit debate, this is worse than "Shaddap your face" by Joe Dolce getting to number 1 instead of "Vienna" by Ultravox back in March 81 in the UK singles chart.

Sad times when Auntie BBC is being interfered with.

• Options
    Interesting to hear that next season will see double headers being trialed at mens games to try and drum up interest

Wonder how many will turn up three hours earlier to games to watch both sets of matches when this happens
  • Options

Wonder how many will turn up three hours earlier to games to watch both sets of matches when this happens
    Barely any and clubs will soon stop that when they lose money having the stadium/stewards/shop open for 2 extra hours and losing money on it. 
  • Options
    shine166 said:

Barely any and clubs will soon stop that when they lose money having the stadium/stewards/shop open for 2 extra hours and losing money on it. 
    Thats the nub of it...

As they're going to have to factor in people arriving before the game starts, the 105 minutes of the game itself (inc. half-time) and then the hour needed for the men to come out and warm up - Certainly hope they dont think of doing it over the winter months either as will be even less appealing 
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    se9addick said:
    Women’s football.......Mmmmmm!
    The thing is, as a committed sports fan I only have so much time to watch the numerous sports that I love, football being the most pleasurable.
    I can, for most of the year, watch a game live on TV......now one has to ask oneself the following.
    Why would I choose to watch a game far less skilful and physically attractive than a men’s professional game.........the answer is quite simply I wouldn’t.
    I love to hear that women are more and more taking up the game but to compare it favourably with modern day men’s professional football is IMHO never going to happen.......it’s light years away.
    The standard is just never going to be as an attractive proposition.
    Is this an argument for not watching women’s football or not watching Charlton anymore?!!
    You’ve got me foxed there!  :)
  • Options
    Lavelle went off with a hammy against England. Superb work by the physio and lovely finish 

In the men’s game it’s called a hammy.......in the women’s game it’s called a hamlet.  B)
  • Options
    Interesting to hear that next season will see double headers being trialed at mens games to try and drum up interest

Good point FA.
    Despite being the unpaid flag waver for the women's WC I'm not sure you could try double headers more than twice a season.

I'm in a dilemma, because the 2pm KO on a quiet Sunday to watch Kirby, Bardsley, Parris, White, Houghton etc at Kingston to watch Chelsea (I hate Chelsea) v Man City for £6 in front of 2k would disappear.
    Enjoy these games because I don't care who wins as long as it's the away team !

Ditto £6 watching Charlton at Crayford a few games a season, but obviously I want CAFC to win.

Paradox for me but the American women are the ones who have the biggest shout for more money as they are number 1.
    The TV and sponsers will have a big say in that. 

As you never pay as much for a starter as a main course, I wonder if double headers are the way to go for female football to impress the The TV and media ?

• Options

Good point FA.
    Despite being the unpaid flag waver for the women's WC I'm not sure you could try double headers more than twice a season.

I'm in a dilemma, because the 2pm KO on a quiet Sunday to watch Kirby, Bardsley, Parris, White, Houghton etc at Kingston to watch Chelsea (I hate Chelsea) v Man City for £6 in front of 2k would disappear.
    Enjoy these games because I don't care who wins as long as it's the away team !

Ditto £6 watching Charlton at Crayford a few games a season, but obviously I want CAFC to win.

Paradox for me but the American women are the ones who have the biggest shout for more money as they are number 1.
    The TV and sponsers will have a big say in that. 

As you never pay as much for a starter as a main course, I wonder if double headers are the way to go for female football to impress the The TV and media ?

The double headers at rugby internationals haven't worked. You see it at the Autumn internationals where a women's game is played an hour after the main test match, and Twickenham is empty more of less. 

You could make it work if it's the early game, say 1.30 for a 4 o'clock Premier League game, but it needs to be done properly, and you need the turn round from the games to be quick
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    The match would have to be after the men's game because the pitch has the sprinklers on when it's dry plus the players come out to practise from 2.15 to 2.30 normally so the women match would have to start at 12.15 ! After the game can't see many staying for a 5.15 KO.

This is for the premier Woman clubs like Arsenal, Chelsea, Manchester United and City. Just can't see how it could be advantageous to female football. 

They should get a couple of games at their parents club ground. I saw Cafc win at the valley against Millwall, and Palace at Selhurst park.  Good to see but smallish crowds.

Long way still to go for the women's game in England. But the fact that more young girls know they can play the game where their Mother's and Grandmothers didn't have that opportunity unless they lived in a city or big town is encouraging.