Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Wot no Millwall relegation thread?

Comments

• Options
    Millwall. Mate.

Contradiction in terms.
  • Options
    I think there isn't as much rivalry from the Millwall side particularly in the last 30 odd years purely because of our record against them. They have no reason to dislike us really. When (not if) we stuff them a couple of times then we'll see them change their attitude towards us.
  • Options
    ChiAddick said:
    I think there isn't as much rivalry from the Millwall side particularly in the last 30 odd years purely because of our record against them. They have no reason to dislike us really. When (not if) we stuff them a couple of times then we'll see them change their attitude towards us.
    Good point 
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    One of yours from the 70s @MillwallFan,
    we’ve Been taking the piss of each others headgear
  • Options
    Type your comment.
  • Options
    I asked my Dad about our rivalry with Palace and Millwall and his comment was that as a young lad growing up in South London he would go to the Charlton home games with50-60,000 others, then the following week when we were away he would pick which of the minor clubs to go and watch between Millwall and Palace.  So much like me now when I go to watch Beckenham or Bromley.  😀

I grew up in a Palace area and would happily see them fold.  Millwall I enjoy the rivalry/passion of the crowd but only know one fan, and him only recently plus he is a decent chap so can’t get so personally involved.
  • Options
    Type your comment.
    He can’t be ‘real wall’. He ain’t nutted you yet 
  • Options
    I asked my Dad about our rivalry with Palace and Millwall and his comment was that as a young lad growing up in South London he would go to the Charlton home games with50-60,000 others, then the following week when we were away he would pick which of the minor clubs to go and watch between Millwall and Palace.  So much like me now when I go to watch Beckenham or Bromley.  😀

I grew up in a Palace area and would happily see them fold.  Millwall I enjoy the rivalry/passion of the crowd but only know one fan, and him only recently plus he is a decent chap so can’t get so personally involved.
    Oh how times have changed! 

And to want a club to fold, that is pure hatred. I despise palace and west ham but not sure I’d want them to fold. 

Growing up around them couldn’t have been easy though. Smug bastards to a man. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    DOUCHER said:
    DOUCHER said:
    There’s a thread about our match on the millwall board - I reckon one of these 2 is the bloke banging on about how it’s not a big derby for them yet knows every stat and fact about us - they protest too much!!!
    You won’t find me saying it’s not a derby. 
    It’s the biggest derby u got  - do u think most  West Ham, Leeds, or spurs would sooner beat u than any other team - dream on 
    If you’d ever attended one of our games v West Ham you’d see that most West Ham would definitely sooner beat us than anyone else. Some of their Johnny come lately fans will say spurs, but the vast majority of their traditional support will tell you it’s Millwall. Did you see their reaction when they beat us with a few minutes remaining in the league cup a few years ago? They had numerous mass pitch invasions. Bearing in mind we was just a L1 club then and they was premiership. 

As for Leeds, no one’s saying they’re our main rivals, obviously they hate Man U the most and for us it’s West Ham. We do class each other as rivals though, because of the history in the past 20 years. They voted us as their third biggest rival in one of those polls, behind Man U and Huddersfield. 

Re Spurs, of course they’re not our rivals. On the rare occasions we play them it gets a bit feisty but in between those game a we’re not on each others radar. 

Personally, after West Ham,  always felt that ouR games v palace have more of a derby feel to them than our games v Charlton. I don’t know why that is, but it just is. 

Again though I’ll reiterate, Millwall v Charlton IS a derby. Just not a fierce one. 

I’ve got no reason to lie about this. I’m happy to admit palace are a rival so why wouldn’t I about Charlton if that was the case? 

strange you say that about palace. went to your game against them at the den. ended 0-0. the atmosphere was pretty mild. no real animosity between the two sets of fans. 
  • Options

And to want a club to fold, that is pure hatred. I despise palace and west ham but not sure I’d want them to fold. 

I’d happily see them fold ... the only club in the country that make me feel that way. 
  • Options
    stonemuse said:

I’d happily see them fold ... the only club in the country that make me feel that way. 

This - I have nothing but contempt for them. I would not want any other club to fold.

• Options
    bobmunro said:
    stonemuse said:

This - I have nothing but contempt for them. I would not want any other club to fold.

MK dons? 
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:
    DOUCHER said:
    There’s a thread about our match on the millwall board - I reckon one of these 2 is the bloke banging on about how it’s not a big derby for them yet knows every stat and fact about us - they protest too much!!!
    It’s the biggest derby u got  - do u think most  West Ham, Leeds, or spurs would sooner beat u than any other team - dream on 
    If you’d ever attended one of our games v West Ham you’d see that most West Ham would definitely sooner beat us than anyone else. Some of their Johnny come lately fans will say spurs, but the vast majority of their traditional support will tell you it’s Millwall. Did you see their reaction when they beat us with a few minutes remaining in the league cup a few years ago? They had numerous mass pitch invasions. Bearing in mind we was just a L1 club then and they was premiership. 

As for Leeds, no one’s saying they’re our main rivals, obviously they hate Man U the most and for us it’s West Ham. We do class each other as rivals though, because of the history in the past 20 years. They voted us as their third biggest rival in one of those polls, behind Man U and Huddersfield. 

Re Spurs, of course they’re not our rivals. On the rare occasions we play them it gets a bit feisty but in between those game a we’re not on each others radar. 

Personally, after West Ham,  always felt that ouR games v palace have more of a derby feel to them than our games v Charlton. I don’t know why that is, but it just is. 

Again though I’ll reiterate, Millwall v Charlton IS a derby. Just not a fierce one. 

I’ve got no reason to lie about this. I’m happy to admit palace are a rival so why wouldn’t I about Charlton if that was the case? 

strange you say that about palace. went to your game against them at the den. ended 0-0. the atmosphere was pretty mild. no real animosity between the two sets of fans. 
    There’s always the exception to the rule but by and large I always seem to remember (it’s been a while now) our games v them have a pretty good atmosphere. Especially when we go over there. We just flood the place and inside the ground it’s always lively. Noise-wise they can have a go back which adds to the occasion. Don’t mean this as a dig but the last few times we’ve been to the valley it’s been really flat from the home ends. Got a feeling that will change this season though. 
  • Options
    There’s always the exception to the rule but by and large I always seem to remember (it’s been a while now) our games v them have a pretty good atmosphere. Especially when we go over there. We just flood the place and inside the ground it’s always lively. Noise-wise they can have a go back which adds to the occasion. Don’t mean this as a dig but the last few times we’ve been to the valley it’s been really flat from the home ends. Got a feeling that will change this season though. 
    We were probably too embarrassed to sing after watching us play so badly.
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:
    DOUCHER said:

We've made a fair bit of noise at the Den on our last two visits ... and I'm sure we will again in a couple of weeks
  • Options
    Athletico Charlton said it all for me. I used to go the the Valley with my old man. We had just been relegated from the old 1st Division so crowds were about 25-30k. Then the next week I would go to the Den with school buddies. I think Millwall were in the 4th division then so it was kick and run, with Alf Ackerman the main man. Whereas Charlton were comparatively classy with Stuart Leary, who was sublime. I don't recall any animosity between Millwall and Charlton but we all hated Palace, who not long after that started their climb up the league tables with Budgie Byrne who was a very fine player. 
    Over the years we never get any luck at all against Millwall. We always seem to play them with a weakened team, get good goals disallowed (Archer), have players sent off, or suffer injuries but to be fair Millwall always seem highly motivated and play well against us and they always keep going to the bitter end. I was looking forward to seeing Jonny Williams run at their big but slowish defence but hey ho our star man is out injured. Typical!
  • Options
    Could the reason that Millwall see Palace as more of a rival be because it goes back a lot further?
    Palace celebrated their centenary the same year as we did and yet they spent the first 60+ years in the third and fourth division, regularly coming up against Millwall.
    Meanwhile we were a first division side from 1936 to 1956 with a short break for a world war.
    I don't think I  had heard of Palace until about 1965 when they suddenly appeared in Div2.
    During the 60s/70s Millwall were busy building their legend as low-life scum.
    Palace meanwhile were reinventing themselves as wannabe flash pipsqueaks.
    The Charlton / Millwall games. I remember as more intense, intimidating and sometimes hostile.
    Palace I just despised because of Allison, team of the 80's lol, groundsharing etc.etc. - they got under my skin more and they are the ones I want to beat most, but there is not much in it.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    DOUCHER said:
    DOUCHER said:
    Did you... read what he said?
  • Options

PA announcer: "There has been homophobic chanting from the East Stand". Warns that has to stop immediately and also warns action will be taken. That must have been what Stroud spoke to the two benches about.
  • Options
    Think we may have to change the name of the team in the thread title if we keep doing what we're doing!
  • Options
    Think we may have to change the name of the team in the thread title if we keep doing what we're doing!
    Nahhh ... it’ll happen eventually ... we hope  :)
  • Options
    The nightmare scenario is that the potential relegation will be from the Premier League, considering they're only out of the playoffs on GD
  • Options
    They will get relegated at some point...  The thread stays please!
  • Options
    https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/football/2020/jan/18/millwall-fans-homophobic-chants-referee-halt-play-win-reading

Gary Rowett says he doesn't think it was a chant he think it was a comment that the linesman heard

I doubt the referee stops the game, speaks to both managers and gets the PA to make an announcement over 1 comment Gary
  • Options
    It's alleged that someone called the linesman 'bent' and he took it as a homophobic comment.

Seems the linesman has issues with language and the meaning of words. He probably needs to go on some form of educational course whereby he realigns his thought process around why he automatically attributes some words towards certain groups of people.

I hope he comes out the other side a better person.
  • Options
    Lol I think we all know what the fan meant.