Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

England Cricket Team Summer 2019 -ICC World Cup and Ashes etc

Comments

• edited August 2019
    I've seen about 25 replays and i still expect Lyon to sweep the bails off. How on earth did he miss that run out?

That is going to haunt him over the next few days until the 4th test.
  • edited August 2019
    Jimmy in for 4TH?
    At home. 
  • Jimmy in for 4TH?
    At home. 
    We need to work out what to do with Roy and Buttler as well. Both seriously out of form.
  • My best mate was an Aussie, God rest his soul. But he would of laughed his bollocks off at rubbish like that. I did convert him to Addickism though...
  • Sponsored links:

• I've seen about 25 replays and i still expect Lyon to sweep the bails off. How on earth did he miss that run out?

That is going to haunt him over the next few days until the 4th test.
    Thankfully for us he didn't wait 'til he had the ball in his hands to do so. It would have been almost as easy for Buttler to snatch at the run out in the WC Final. It's something that was taken for granted as having been straightforward but when so much was at stake it was anything but.  

Exactly what I was thinking. Great throw from Roy and taken cleanly by Buttler. Today was a poor throw and muffed by Lyon. 

• Chizz said:
    We lost the first Test.  Then got a draw at Lord's, despite the captain getting a duck and one of the players having to retire hurt.  And then won an outrageous come-back at Headingley, thanks to a brilliant century by the star all-rounder.  The last two Tests are at Old Trafford and The Oval, with it all to play for.  

(That's the summary of the first three tests in 1981, by the way).
    A Kent player gets a crucial 50 that gets relatively forgotten about

That's another Headingley 81 reference, though as Dilley got dropped for the following match, maybe one that Denly won't want to be exactly copied!
  • Chizz said:
    Stokes is overcompensating here, yes stay in but go for the easier runs.
    Agreed, we are not batting for a draw, we need to win. The only way we will win is by scoring 200 runs. I get cautious and safe but 3 of 72 is taking cautious to another level
    Correction, 7 from 76
    I suppose his thought process is that it's better to play himself in and try to ensure that the lower-middle order is exposed to the new ball, than to score quickly and risk getting out.  

I would like to see him score quicker.  But he looks absolutely determined to do everything required to score the century that's needed.  

I think he's been magnificent for most of this Summer, particularly at Lord's with the bat and Headingley, in the second innings with the ball. If we lose, it won't be Stokes' fault - if we win, it will be, in a large part, down to him. 

👋👋👋. 
  • Just twigged that the last partnership was higher than our first innings score.  Crazy.
  • Ben Stokes was absolutely magnificent.
    He completed what was almost Mission Impossible.
    Definitely up there with Botham/Willis 1981.
    He has now created history twice in a couple of months.
    He's let us down in the past, mostly off the field but he's not having a bad 2019 is he?

Simply unbelievable innings, thought we only had a slim chance when Bairstow went and stopped watching when Buttler went. Turned back on and we lost Archer next ball. Flicked to the footie and back on for Broad's wicket. So decided not to watch anymore, so I guess I deserve some of the credit? 

There are still issues obviously but we need to enjoy days like today. Not quite sure how the umpire gave Stokes not out, looked totally plumb. 

Personally would move Roy to 6 for the next game and bring in an opener for Buttler. Curran in for Woakes at 8. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Stokes is possibly the best big match player England have had in any sport, including becks and Wilkinson. 

Incredible scenes today, that will long live as a classic, Leach cleaning off his glasses, stokes’ reverse sweep 6. The missed run out. 

Just epic. 

Never thought a test would come close to egbaston 05
  • I think my jaw has finally righted itself from Stokes reverse sweeping a 6 with no wickets left in the bank. What a hero that man has been
  • Ubelievable!

This England group never fail to amaze.

One of the most amazing moments was Broad coming out to bat with a jumper on!!
  • Chizz said:
    Some lovely, generous comments from fans all over the world, on the Melbourne Age website.  This one, in particular, sums up the generosity and sportsmanship of Australian cricket lovers. 

Surprise surprise! England win after terrible administrative errors. Sorry, but it just isn’t good enough. England lost the WC final and were awarded a win, and here they lost the test and were awarded a win. England were already granted two days of perfect batting conditions after the first two bowler-centric days. Why do they need an umpiring boost at the end? They lost! Again. Simple as that. Umpires should not be able to decide games and series like that. It wasn’t even close. Middle and leg, 2/3 of the way up. Of course you will hear diplomatic claptrap about how we shouldn’t have reviewed the Leach LBW, but no appeal should be necessary for a plumb LBW! The crowd should not be deciding the winner of the game!

And why were we batting in the dark and damp till 7:30 on day one, losing 8 wickets after the scheduled closing time, while England get bright sunshine, a hard, dry wicket and favourable umpiring on days 3 and 4? Is it too much to ask for fair conditions for both teams?
    Do they still call us Whinging Poms?
  • To put this into perspective, that was a once in a lifetime innings from Stokes ......for the 2nd time this summer! 

Incredible cricketer 
  • I don't have the patience for test match cricket, but just watched the highlights of that and had a tear in my eye! Unbelievable!!!
  • No words for that. 

Ben stokes have my babies.

There are kids everywhere modelling themselves on Jack leach.