Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

England Cricket Team Summer 2019 -ICC World Cup and Ashes etc

Comments

• Labuschagne to open with Smith at 4, Harris dropped ? .. could be
    Doubt it, more likely to see Wade dropped, or possibly Head. 
    is that the Wade who scored a ton in the first test ?
    It is, it's also the one that has scores of 1, 6, 1, 0 and 33 apart from that. 

I can't imagine Labuscagne will open so I think Wade is the most likely to go. Perhaps he will play 3 and Khawaja will be dropped. Paine is probably the one who should go but he's the captain and wicket-keeper so it's not going to happen. 

Didn't Wade and Head score centuries at Edg?

look at the few posts above .. or the previous on @cafcfan1990's latest post 

No, Head only has one 50 I believe in the whole series. 

To be honest I forgot about Khawaja so it will probably be him dropped if Smith returns. I was just replying to Lincs, cannot see the Aussies moving Labuschagne to open and given his form so far, would be foolish to do so. 
  • England will be tempted to bring back Anderson at Manchester .. I hope that they resist the temptation 
    If Woakes is struggling bring in the leftie Curran, variety is needed in the pace attack
     No way. If Jimmy is fit then he is a shoe-în. Imagine front 3 of Jimmy,Broad and Archer.
  • England will be tempted to bring back Anderson at Manchester .. I hope that they resist the temptation 
    If Woakes is struggling bring in the leftie Curran, variety is needed in the pace attack
     No way. If Jimmy is fit then he is a shoe-în. Imagine front 3 of Jimmy,Broad and Archer.
    Yeah on his home ground too, have to try find a way to get him in. 
  • To be fair, the stag do tickets are for the Friday, and I was looking at buying on the Saturday so we may both be going but separately. The weather looks poor anyway so I’m hoping for a draw. 

We have tickets for 1, 3 and 5 for Oval. 
      Christ Suzie! How much have you spent on tickets this summer? Must be a fortune.
    Worth it though no doubt.
    Quite a bit this year with the World Cup.

St Lucia was cheap ish. £30 each went three times.  

3 games at World Cup £115 each for 2 of them but the 3rd was free as had a friends debenture.

Ireland tickets were £15 restricted and got half back as it ended early #winning.  

Lords tickets were restricted view 40/50ish should have got some of that back too.

Edgbaston were 90.

Most expensive was Saturday at Headingley 130 but best view at a ground ever. Yesterday paid 50 restricted view again but only sat there for an hour as was burning hot and went round to the new stand again to watch most of it.

Oval tickets 100 both thurs and sat and the Monday £25.

I’ve never thought about how much we’ve spent before and now I won’t be going to Old Trafford and will be eating spaghetti on toast all weekend trying to sell anything I can. 

South Africa tickets already bought and were £12 for Newlands which is double what they were 4 years ago. £9 for Port Elizabeth. 
  • £951 each. Works out £59 per match. 

*gulp*
    You can just imagine the reaction at OT if Curran was chosen and Jimmy was instead bringing the drinks out!
    You can just imagine the reaction at OT if Curran was chosen and Jimmy was instead bringing the drinks out!
    The only way Jimmy  wont play is if he isn't fit.

If hes fit he plays. If not it's a choice of Woakes or Curran. Most seem to be backing Curran as Woakes has seemed out of sorts, in need of a rest and bowling well below his best.
  • Sponsored links:

• Going to OT on the Friday. Hoping to see Jimmy and Jofra bowling.
  • Chizz said:

Anybody going to OT?

Its normally a quick wicket - might suit Oz more than us? (though Jofra might have something to say about that!)

Please say you're going @suzisausage..!
    Husband going on a stag. I’m banned. :( 

Boo!

PS You can always get another husband but when a Test has been played it's gone forever.
  • To be fair, the stag do tickets are for the Friday, and I was looking at buying on the Saturday so we may both be going but separately. The weather looks poor anyway so I’m hoping for a draw. 

We have tickets for day 2 at The Oval.  Anyone else?
  • Chizz said:

Anybody going to OT?

Its normally a quick wicket - might suit Oz more than us? (though Jofra might have something to say about that!)

Boo!

PS You can always get another husband but when a Test has been played it's gone forever.
    Is that an offer?

Same here
  • £951 each. Works out £59 per match. 

*gulp*
    Still cheaper than having kids ;-)
    Anderson hasn't bowled in a proper game for months, he is taking part in some micky mouse game this week 'to prove his fitness' .. whatever, he won't be properly fit and if he is picked that will be a mistake and will be done on grounds of nostalgia rather than reality .. selectors, please don't pick him and potentially make a great cricketer look unfit and past it
    Anderson hasn't bowled in a proper game for months, he is taking part in some micky mouse game this week 'to prove his fitness' .. whatever, he won't be properly fit and if he is picked that will be a mistake and will be done on grounds of nostalgia rather than reality .. selectors, please don't pick him and potentially make a great cricketer look unfit and past it
    Brave post, Lincsaddick! 
  • Chizz said:
    England will be tempted to bring back Anderson at Manchester .. I hope that they resist the temptation 
    Brave post, Lincsaddick! 
    Chizz said:
    England will be tempted to bring back Anderson at Manchester .. I hope that they resist the temptation 
    Brave post, Lincsaddick! 
    Brave lol ? .. brave is going over the top with just a tin helmet for protection ((:>) 
  • Sponsored links:

Day 5 at the Oval, took the risk for £25 that a) it'd get that far and b) we wouldn't have lost already.  Could be no 5th day, could be a bit of a pointless dead rubber, or could be the day that we win the Ashes, we shall see.

Day 5 at the Oval, took the risk for £25 that a) it'd get that far and b) we wouldn't have lost already.  Could be no 5th day, could be a bit of a pointless dead rubber, or could be the day that we win the Ashes, we shall see.
    You'll need some rain to get any play I suspect, which is always possible in mid September even if things seem dry at the moment
  • edited August 2019
    Yeah, good post Lincs, there is a lot of merit in your comments imo.
    For me, Jimmy is just one of those players who is naturally fit (ok, he's had a calf problem this season), but he's said before that he doesn't need to be bowling to get fit.However, should there be any doubt at all re his fitness then he shouldn't play, it would look bloody stupid if he broke down again.And that may be the reason why he might not be selected.
    Curran would be a good choice not just because of the variety but also because of the extra batting he would provide.
    Its a tricky one for the selectors, and one they have to be ultra careful with, but for me, if Jimmy is fit, he plays.
    Its another reason why I suggested he play for Derby in the Oz warm up game - let him steam in full pace, see if he doesn't break down, and a chance to try to ruffle a few Oz batsmen-and if he comes out unscathed, then the selectors have their excuse if he does in the Test.
  • All kicking off on twitter between Warne, Prior, and Chris Adams.

Prior made a little reference to Lyon screwing up - which after his attack in the press conference against Prior a few years back he has every right to do.

Adams backs Prior up - and Warne slates Adams as a club cricketer who's dribble nobody cares about. and starts calling Prior childish.

Heating up just in time for Old Trafford!
  • The Aussies don't like it up 'em, they really are poor losers- they are the worst winners too.
  • Chizz said:

Anybody going to OT?

I'll look after him :-)
  • Chizz said:
    All kicking off on twitter between Warne, Prior, and Chris Adams.

Prior made a little reference to Lyon screwing up - which after his attack in the press conference against Prior a few years back he has every right to do.

Adams backs Prior up - and Warne slates Adams as a club cricketer who's dribble nobody cares about. and starts calling Prior childish.

A current player having a dig at another player (as Lyon did to Prior) has to be utterly and completely confident he will never allow a situation where the sledging can be fired back at him.  In that regard, Lyon has failed, completely.  

If you dish out jibes (like "Could we end some careers? I hope so,") or if you play for a team whose coach encourages insulting and aggressive attitudes from fans (e.g. Lehmann saying Stuart Broad is a "blatant cheat" and "I hope the Australian public give it to him right from the word go for the whole summer.  And I hope he cries and goes home") you have to expect to receive some of it back again.  

Lyon was picked by Lehmann as part of a four-man bowling attack, bowling more than 50 overs in the match in which Australia's cheating was finally exposed.  I cannot believe he didn't know it was taking place.  He deserves everything that's coming to him.  

I don't want to see his career ended (as he said about a few England players) or to see him crying and going home (like his coach did).  I want to see him continue to set the Ashes alight with his cricket.  Because, so far, he's the only player to make a century in every match so far this series.  3-112 in the first innings at Edgbaston, 0-102 in the second innings at Lord's and 2-114 in the second innings at Headingley.  Long may it continue. 

Brillant
  • Chizz said:
    All kicking off on twitter between Warne, Prior, and Chris Adams.

A current player having a dig at another player (as Lyon did to Prior) has to be utterly and completely confident he will never allow a situation where the sledging can be fired back at him.  In that regard, Lyon has failed, completely.  

If you dish out jibes (like "Could we end some careers? I hope so,") or if you play for a team whose coach encourages insulting and aggressive attitudes from fans (e.g. Lehmann saying Stuart Broad is a "blatant cheat" and "I hope the Australian public give it to him right from the word go for the whole summer.  And I hope he cries and goes home") you have to expect to receive some of it back again.  

Lyon was picked by Lehmann as part of a four-man bowling attack, bowling more than 50 overs in the match in which Australia's cheating was finally exposed.  I cannot believe he didn't know it was taking place.  He deserves everything that's coming to him.  

I don't want to see his career ended (as he said about a few England players) or to see him crying and going home (like his coach did).  I want to see him continue to set the Ashes alight with his cricket.  Because, so far, he's the only player to make a century in every match so far this series.  3-112 in the first innings at Edgbaston, 0-102 in the second innings at Lord's and 2-114 in the second innings at Headingley.  Long may it continue. 
    Spot on. 

Have to admit I didn’t realise his figures were that bat. Hindsight’s a wonderful thing but thought it was crazy he bowled so much on Sunday when Stokes was smashing him down the ground so frequently. 
  • All kicking off on twitter between Warne, Prior, and Chris Adams.

I hope Warne is getting it back big time!