Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

England Cricket Team Summer 2019 -ICC World Cup and Ashes etc

Comments

• He's only won them one Test and was one lbw call from winning them another, out of three Tests so far...
  • I like it. Just Smith's interview on Sky. albeit probably not got the full clip so it could mean something different. He said "Archer hasn't got me out yet. He has hit me on an uneven bounce at Lord's. The other bowlers have caused me more problems.  There you go Jofra. Aim for his stumps. Get him out. There is a challenge for you. 
  • Archer will still make him shit himself, what ever he says to the press. You don’t get a hit on the arm and a debilitating hit on the head without feeling a bit anxious about getting back on the horse. 
  • Smith loves a challenge. Archer may make him nervous but I truly believe Smith is looking forward to facing him again. Series perfectly poised 
  • Begin the thawing of Bryce McGain!
  • We want Lyon to be fit. He's been decidedly average in the first 3 games and there is certainly scope to get in his head about dropping the ashes.
  • Leuth said:
    Smith loves a challenge. Archer may make him nervous but I truly believe Smith is looking forward to facing him again. Series perfectly poised 
    Of what i remember, OT is one of the quickest wickets in the country - should help Archer, but obviously also their quicks as well.
  • It's important that a player suffering a complex and difficult set of anxieties is given all the space and time he needs to ensure that he is in the best state of mind to play in the next game he faces.  This is particularly important when the player, for example, causes his team to lose a match by, say, missing a straightforward run out.  And then his thoroughly compromised mental state is further exacerbated by, say, a "plumb" lbw that would have won the match being turned down.  I hope that anyone facing such a situation is given as much time, space, compassion and opportunity to get over such a horrible set of events.  And certainly, I would hope a player in that kind of position would never have to face media intrusion into his private life and the digging up of unsettling comments from a former partner.  That would be awful. 

In other news, while Nathan Lyon is supposedly recovering form the demons that botching a match-winning run out against England in the third Ashes Test may cause, his former partner has cast aside reports she is miserable in a social media swipe on Instagram.
  • edited August 2019
    I see Steve Smith is in for the Derbyshire game.
  • I see Steve Smith is in for the Derbyshire game.
    He's already bowling...
  • Sponsored links:

• edited August 2019
    Chizz said:
    It's important that a player suffering a complex and difficult set of anxieties is given all the space and time he needs to ensure that he is in the best state of mind to play in the next game he faces.  This is particularly important when the player, for example, causes his team to lose a match by, say, missing a straightforward run out.  And then his thoroughly compromised mental state is further exacerbated by, say, a "plumb" lbw that would have won the match being turned down.  I hope that anyone facing such a situation is given as much time, space, compassion and opportunity to get over such a horrible set of events.  And certainly, I would hope a player in that kind of position would never have to face media intrusion into his private life and the digging up of unsettling comments from a former partner.  That would be awful. 

In other news, while Nathan Lyon is supposedly recovering form the demons that botching a match-winning run out against England in the third Ashes Test may cause, his former partner has cast aside reports she is miserable in a social media swipe on Instagram.

Lyon can hardly now deny that he is a "cheat" can he?
  • I think England missed a trick in not playing Jimmy in this match
    He's expected to be picked?
    If fit, i would expect him to come back.
    If he had played for Derby, he could have proved his fitness, and potentially undermined the Aussies too.
    I disagree.  What useful thing is Jimmy Anderson going to learn by bowling against a team that contains a whole bunch of players (Neser, Siddle, Starc, Marsh, Carey, Bancroft, even Khawaja) who almost certainly won't all be selected at Old Trafford?  

The Aussies seem to be using is as a chance for Smith, plus the players outside the Test XI to get a game.  And if any of them does get picked, why would we want them to have had a free sight of our best bowler? 
  • Chizz said:
    I think England missed a trick in not playing Jimmy in this match
    I disagree.  What useful thing is Jimmy Anderson going to learn by bowling against a team that contains a whole bunch of players (Neser, Siddle, Starc, Marsh, Carey, Bancroft, even Khawaja) who almost certainly won't all be selected at Old Trafford?  

The Aussies seem to be using is as a chance for Smith, plus the players outside the Test XI to get a game.  And if any of them does get picked, why would we want them to have had a free sight of our best bowler? 
    After nearly 600 test wickets i don't think Jimmy needs to learn very much, do you?, and the same applies to Oz batsmen having a 'free sight' - its not as if they wouldnt have seen him bowl or played against him in the last fifteen years.
    However, it was an opportunity to.. 
    1) Prove his fitness (coz, after all, if they do play him and he breaks down again then the selectors are gonna look bloody stupid)
    2) Potentially undermine the likes of Khawaja and Smith prior to the fourth test.
    Then again, maybe they feel he is still not fit enough to be selected? 
  • Chizz said:

After nearly 600 test wickets i don't think Jimmy needs to learn very much, do you?, and the same applies to Oz batsmen having a 'free sight' - its not as if they wouldnt have seen him bowl or played against him in the last fifteen years.
    However, it was an opportunity to.. 
    1) Prove his fitness (coz, after all, if they do play him and he breaks down again then the selectors are gonna look bloody stupid)
    2) Potentially undermine the likes of Khawaja and Smith prior to the fourth test.
    Then again, maybe they feel he is still not fit enough to be selected? 

You're making my point for me - he wouldn't learn anything by playing against them.  He should definitely be playing, in order to test and prove his fitness.  I just don't think there's any particular advantage in playing against the Australians in that game.  

As it is, he's playing in a second XI game for Lancashire and he's bowled 29 overs.  I think that's a good sign he's proving his fitness.  For some reason, he's not down to bat.  So maybe he's just netting today..?
  • edited August 2019
    I see no point in Jimmy bowling 29 overs of military medium (based on what i've seen on Sky)  in the 2nd XI game - imo there is far more to be gained by him coming in full pelt v Aussies. It would prove his fitness and also possibly put doubts into the technique of the likes of Khawaja and Smith prior to the 4th Test . Playing the 2nd team of Derby is only likely to play these guys into some form, which has been sorta shown by the overnight score.

• edited August 2019
    If he had played for Derby, he could have proved his fitness, and potentially undermined the Aussies too.
    I know you've said this before, but if he "plays" for Lancashire, why should he play for Derbyshire ?
    I'd be pretty peed off if Lyle Taylor said he wanted to play for Millwall on Saturday and in some strange world, it was permitted by the authorities.
  • edited August 2019
    I know you've said this before, but if you "play" for Lancashire, why should he play for Derbyshire ?
    I'd be pretty peed off if Lyle Taylor said he wanted to play for Millwall on Saturday and in some strange world, it was permitted by the authorities.
    Usual story though CE, Central contracts dictate and the fact that Derby probably get a handout that keeps them alive from the ECB? - money again. If England selectors wanted the whole England team to play as Derby then they would just tell Derby that that is what they are going to do.
  • Sponsored links:

I know you've said this before, but if you "play" for Lancashire, why should he play for Derbyshire ?
    Usual story though CE, Central contracts dictate and the fact that Derby probably get a handout that keeps them alive from the ECB? - money again. If England selectors wanted the whole England team to play as Derby then they would just tell Derby that that is what they are going to do.
    Really ? I struggle to believe that could happen.
  • I see no point in Jimmy bowling 29 overs of military medium (based on what i've seen on Sky)  in the 2nd XI game - imo there is far more to be gained by him coming in full pelt v Aussies. It would prove his fitness and also possibly put doubts into the technique of the likes of Khawaja and Smith prior to the 4th Test . Playing the 2nd team of Derby is only likely to play these guys into some form, which has been sorta shown by the overnight score.

Yes, there's lots to gain from Anderson bowling full throttle against the Aussies this week.  For the Aussies. 

As it is, they're not being tested at all.  They are facing an attack that comprises a 36 year old who took 8 wickets last month and none so far this; and three other bowlers who have 23 wickets between them in their careers.  

For purely selfish (ie England supporter) reasons, it's far better for Australia to be facing pie-chuckers prior to a Test match than to be tested properly with the world's third best fast bowler. 
  • Chizz said:
    I see no point in Jimmy bowling 29 overs of military medium (based on what i've seen on Sky)  in the 2nd XI game - imo there is far more to be gained by him coming in full pelt v Aussies. It would prove his fitness and also possibly put doubts into the technique of the likes of Khawaja and Smith prior to the 4th Test . Playing the 2nd team of Derby is only likely to play these guys into some form, which has been sorta shown by the overnight score.

Yes, there's lots to gain from Anderson bowling full throttle against the Aussies this week.  For the Aussies. 

As it is, they're not being tested at all.  They are facing an attack that comprises a 36 year old who took 8 wickets last month and none so far this; and three other bowlers who have 23 wickets between them in their careers.  

For purely selfish (ie England supporter) reasons, it's far better for Australia to be facing pie-chuckers prior to a Test match than to be tested properly with the world's third best fast bowler. 
    Chizz said:

equally, batting against even second rate bowlers will allow the Aussies to get into some kind of form thereby also improving their confidence. Admittedly, very different to facing Archer on a pacey lifter, BUT 'every little helps' as Ocset is always telling us.
  • Chizz said:

I dont get that at all.
    How can facing Jimmy at full pace and getting their batsmen out help the Aussies ??!! As i said before, its not as if they've never seen him bowl before!
    You'd prefer them to face pie-chuckers ?? What benefit is that to us?
  • Chizz said:

I dont get that at all.
    How can facing Jimmy at full pace and getting their batsmen out help the Aussies ??!! As i said before, its not as if they've never seen him bowl before!
    Giving Australian batsmen practice time against some of the bowling they will face next week would be to their benefit. Peparing for the biggest Test match of the Summer by facing exactly the bowler you'll be facing in that match would be the best preparation imaginable - far better than facing, for example, Alfie Gleadall, who has taken just one wicket in his career, or Hamidullah Qadri, an off-break bowler. 

I'm sorry if you don't "get" that. 
  • Chizz said:

I dont get that at all.
    Let's put it another way for you.

If the football season started next week, would Charlton be better prepared by playing their last psf against Aston Villa or Forest Green Rovers ?

Your logic suggests Charlton having an easy game v FGR is the best preparation.
  • Chizz said:

I dont get that at all.

If the football season started next week, would Charlton be better prepared by playing their last psf against Aston Villa or Forest Green Rovers ?

Even though you are replying to me,I'm assuming this is aimed at Chizz?
  • Chizz said:
    Chizz said:

I dont get that at all.
    Giving Australian batsmen practice time against some of the bowling they will face next week would be to their benefit. Peparing for the biggest Test match of the Summer by facing exactly the bowler you'll be facing in that match would be the best preparation imaginable - far better than facing, for example, Alfie Gleadall, who has taken just one wicket in his career, or Hamidullah Qadri, an off-break bowler. 

I'm sorry if you don't "get" that. 
    I'm sorry you dont get it either.
    How the hell can playing Oz with pie-chuckers and letting them get into form for the next Test Match ever benefit England ??!! .
    Or the opposite is play against Jimmy, he gets them out (possibly) and he gives them doubt with their technique , and doesnt allow them to get into form- do you think that doesnt benefit England at all ?
    Plus, it proves to the selectors that he is match fit .

I really dont comprehend how anyone can not think that it would be better for England.
  • Chizz said:

I dont get that at all.

Even though you are replying to me,I'm assuming this is aimed at Chizz?
    No, your good self.
    You're suggesting the best for England is for Anderson to play the Aussies at Derby and make it hard for them.
    You're saying it's bad for England, if the Aussies have a really easy warm up game.

I agree with Chizz. Why give the Aussies the opportunity to practice against a top bowler?