Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

England Cricket Team Summer 2019 -ICC World Cup and Ashes etc

Comments

• Leuth said:
    I'm not that keen, just find it sad he never got a chance. 

Anyway let's focus on the main issue right now, which is that the big lad Rahkeem Cornwall is taking Test wickets
    He's the size of Cornwall as well!

Everything about him shouts "village" (size, run-up, action) but he's getting a lot of turn out of this pitch.

Wow, i see what you mean ! He is huge.
    Reminds me of that bloke who played for Bermuda many years ago.Dwayne Leverock.
    We couldn't remember the guy's name but that was everybody's first thought when we saw him bowling earlier.
  • Leuth said:
    Wrong Overton. And Roy...give me strength 
    Which one is This? The quick one or the medium pacer?

Also is it the same one that dropped finch on the boundary in a relatively easy chance on his way to a ton Tuesday night?
  • Other than the 1st Test when did Anderson last bowl for England?
  • Rudders22 said:
    Other than the 1st Test when did Anderson last bowl for England?

Against the Windies in February
  • Denly to open and Roy to bat at 4 then. Roy will still get a nose bleed! 
  • Rudders22 said:
    Other than the 1st Test when did Anderson last bowl for England?
    12 February this year. 3-27 to help bowl England to a 232-run win against the West Indies at Gros Islet. 
  • Thanks Chizz. So it was a long long time ago. I really hope he can come back and goes those wickets to get to 600 but can see him falling just short and having to retire. 
    Poor decision IMO.

Obviously it might work and then I will eat humble pie. 

Moving Denly, who just scored a 50 at 4, to accomodate Roy, seems silly to me. 

• edited August 2019
    Well I have a hospital appointment on the 4th September (for my 6th month review of new hip).  Panicked as thought it was 2.40pm. It is 10.40am so will get there for 9am so can get the  xrays done before. You may never know. If we are batting first I might just get back in time for the end of the 1st innings. Went physio review and she has referred me under their referral scheme for one of their recommended gyms which I am looking forward to. However, it is on 6th September at 6pm. Damn. 
    Poor decision IMO.

A bit unfair on Denly really, he's not an opener

Eoin Morgan's incredible innings tonight reminds me that he had a run of games in the Test side before being removed, and he's more of a rounded player than Roy
  • Sponsored links:

Poor decision IMO.

He did indeed get a 50, and it was a good battling 50 which played a big part in the win. 

Overall he has scored 147 runs, averaging 24 and a half. Roy has scored 57 at 9 and a half. 

So between them we find ourselves 35-2. Personally I agree with the view that although it's harsh on Denly, Roy should hopefully be a lot better at 4 than opening. 

It's unfair to move Denly to accommodate Roy. Denly isn't having a great series but on the back of a 50 should probably be the last 2 matches at 4. But Roy simply cannot open so I would agree that having Denly open and Roy at 4 is better than how it has been. 
  • We are trying to get a settled top 4. Denly getting a 50 is a start and nothing more, I concede. But moving him the very next innings instead of letting him try to build on it? Hmm.

Roy should have been replaced, not moved down the order. 

The thing that makes Roy so good at white ball cricket is the way he attacks the powerplay with his hard hands playing drives through the off side.

That strength is his weakness in Test cricket because instead of him playing those drives he is playing little prod defends with the same hard hands. That's understandable because of the mental difference of sticking on the whites. Unfortunately playing at nearly every ball with hard hands leads to only one thing in Test cricket... you nick off sooner rather than later. 
  • We are trying to get a settled top 4. Denly getting a 50 is a start and nothing more, I concede. But moving him the very next innings instead of letting him try to build on it? Hmm.

The thing that makes Roy so good at white ball cricket is the way he attacks the powerplay with his hard hands playing drives through the off side.

That strength is his weakness in Test cricket because instead of him playing those drives he is playing little prod defends with the same hard hands. That's understandable because of the mental difference of sticking on the whites. Unfortunately playing at nearly every ball with hard hands leads to only one thing in Test cricket... you nick off sooner rather than later. 
    I'm not disagreeing, I just personally believe we are not worse off with Denly opening and Roy at 4. It should benefit Roy but hinder Denly. 

But yes if Roy isn't good enough to open, then he should probably be dropped rather than sacrificing Denly. Only issue, and it's not a small one, is who comes in to open?

I'm not disagreeing, I just personally believe we are not worse off with Denly opening and Roy at 4. It should benefit Roy but hinder Denly. 

But yes if Roy isn't good enough to open, then he should probably be dropped rather than sacrificing Denly. Only issue, and it's not a small one, is who comes in to open?
    Sibley

Sibley
    He’s certainly the one most people are suggesting. Is it right to chuck him in now though? Probably not. Seems like the selectors want the experience. 

Sibley
    He’s certainly the one most people are suggesting. Is it right to chuck him in now though? Probably not. Seems like the selectors want the experience. 
    The only experience that Roy has given us in the Ashes is scores of 10, 28, 0, 2, 9 & 8 at an average of 9.5 - Sibley really would struggle not to do better than that.
  • Anybody watch Eoin Morgans knock last night?
    Astonishing hitting.
  • edited August 2019
    Jimmy might prolong his career long enough to and have a crack at further milestones if he stops touring. The odd home series alongside some coaching/broadcasting isn't a bad way to see out his playing days. 
  • Jimmy might prolong his career long enough to and have a crack at further milestones if he stops touring. The odd home series alongside some coaching/broadcasting isn't a bad way to see out his playing days. 
    He won't be allowed to do that.  At least he shouldn't be allowed to...
  • Jimmy might prolong his career long enough to and have a crack at further milestones if he stops touring. The odd home series alongside some coaching/broadcasting isn't a bad way to see out his playing days. 
    I hope he bloody tours - i've got tickets for Newlands in January. The last time i saw him in SA, he bowled Pakistan out in the WC in the match of Shoaib's 100mph ball.
  • Sponsored links:

• Chizz said:
    Jimmy might prolong his career long enough to and have a crack at further milestones if he stops touring. The odd home series alongside some coaching/broadcasting isn't a bad way to see out his playing days. 

I see where you're coming from but I think you can make a case for special players, special rules. 
  • Chizz said:

I see where you're coming from but I think you can make a case for special players, special rules. 
    A new coach (who will be appointed in the next few weeks) will have no reason to compromise his selection and coaching plans by allowing one player to play home games only and leave the away trips to "junior" players.  

I would like to see Anderson's career extended as long as possible and for him to aim to take part in the next Ashes series.  But I would draw the line at letting him pick and choose matches that suit him best. 
  • Chizz said:
    Chizz said:

A new coach (who will be appointed in the next few weeks) will have no reason to compromise his selection and coaching plans by allowing one player to play home games only and leave the away trips to "junior" players.  

I would like to see Anderson's career extended as long as possible and for him to aim to take part in the next Ashes series.  But I would draw the line at letting him pick and choose matches that suit him best. 

Fair points. Time to watch the game. 
  • The player we should have let play at home only was Trescothick
  • The player we should have let play at home only was Trescothick
    Or Steve Smith
  • After my washout day at Lord's, Manchester on Wednesday when I'm going is cool with light rain...

• After my washout day at Lord's, Manchester on Wednesday when I'm going is cool with light rain...

light rain in Manchester = deluge anywhere else in the UK

Were you born under a cloud? Remind me to double check what tickets you have before I purchase going forward! hehe. 

cool and light rain in 2 days time could easily change.  - I'll keep my fingers crossed for you. 
  • Latest weather. Rain moving away tuesday evening leaving Wednesday mainly dry. A few odd showers in the afternoon but cooler of late. Mid teens at best. 

Jumpers on lads & lasses....
  • With the conditions likely to be overcast, it'll be interesting who England pick as their 3rd seamer, if Woakes is rested