Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

England Cricket Team Summer 2019 -ICC World Cup and Ashes etc

Comments

• Would probably prefer Wood & Stone to both and have TOm Curran ahead of Overton but they are all injured. Toby Roland Jones is another.
  • Chizz said:
    Ridiculous decision to pick Overton over Curran.Why pick Overton? Why are they frightened to pick Curran? He has shown he has the ability to play test cricket and offers us something different.Woakes looked knackered last test so i can understand resting him but not with Overton.Buttler should be dropped for this test.Hasnt offered anything yet this series and looks shot to pieces.Still nevermind il be there cheering the boys on Thursday abd Friday.
    With regards to Sam Curran, and whether he should be brought in as a replacement for Chris Woakes, I think they're not keen on picking Curran for the current Ashes because his recent record simply isn't good enough.  His 2019 Test bowling average is 47.25.  That's the worst of any England bowler, including those not considered for the up-coming match, like Moeen Ali (28.88) and Oli Stone (9.66).  He's taken four Test wickets in 2019, compared to Woakes' 15. 

As batters, there's no comparison, obviously.  Woakes has a highest Test score of 137* whiles Curran hasn't scored a century in Tests, first class matches or one-dayers. 

Curran and Woakes both played in the win versus Ireland.  Neither performed heroics with the bat. Curran picked up 3 first innings wickets and Woakes helped bowl England to victory with 6-17. Since then, however, Woakes has scored runs at 28 and taken wickets at 29 in the Ashes, making him the second-ranked all-rounder on either side.  Curran has scored 14 runs and taken one wicket at 92 in first class matches.  If you drop a player, you should bring in someone who is either better or in better form, or, preferably, both.  At the moment, Curran is neither. 

The numbers simply do not stack up: there's no case for bringing Curran into the side. 

I am sure he will play a lot of cricket for England.  And I think it will be more of a batting all-rounder (like Stokes) than a bowling all-rounder (like Woakes).  But that's all for the future.  Happily, he has time on his side. 
    Curran has a higher test batting average than woakes.
  • Chizz said:
    Chizz said:
    supaclive said:
    Australia have players out of form they drop them.....
    Selected series batting averages 
    Pattinson 23.00 dropped 
    Khawaja 20.33 dropped 
    Harris 13.50 not dropped 
    Warner 13.16 not dropped 
    Paine 12.83 not dropped 

A touring party can't drop everyone. I think the point trying to be made is that the Aussies are more ruthless in selection than us. If Australia had two batsmen averaging under 10 in a home series after 3 matches, they would be dropped. At this rate, Roy will have an average lower than monty panesar but will still be given more playing time.
    Do you think Australia are being "ruthless" with regards to David Warner?
    My point is, if you have a squad of 16 or 17? You can’t make many changes. I’m guessing they could fly someone in but that person would have played  very little cricket
    With respect, if that was your point you made it absolutely terribly. 
  • Chizz said:
    Ridiculous decision to pick Overton over Curran.Why pick Overton? Why are they frightened to pick Curran? He has shown he has the ability to play test cricket and offers us something different.Woakes looked knackered last test so i can understand resting him but not with Overton.Buttler should be dropped for this test.Hasnt offered anything yet this series and looks shot to pieces.Still nevermind il be there cheering the boys on Thursday abd Friday.
    With regards to Sam Curran, and whether he should be brought in as a replacement for Chris Woakes, I think they're not keen on picking Curran for the current Ashes because his recent record simply isn't good enough.  His 2019 Test bowling average is 47.25.  That's the worst of any England bowler, including those not considered for the up-coming match, like Moeen Ali (28.88) and Oli Stone (9.66).  He's taken four Test wickets in 2019, compared to Woakes' 15. 

As batters, there's no comparison, obviously.  Woakes has a highest Test score of 137* whiles Curran hasn't scored a century in Tests, first class matches or one-dayers. 

Curran and Woakes both played in the win versus Ireland.  Neither performed heroics with the bat. Curran picked up 3 first innings wickets and Woakes helped bowl England to victory with 6-17. Since then, however, Woakes has scored runs at 28 and taken wickets at 29 in the Ashes, making him the second-ranked all-rounder on either side.  Curran has scored 14 runs and taken one wicket at 92 in first class matches.  If you drop a player, you should bring in someone who is either better or in better form, or, preferably, both.  At the moment, Curran is neither. 

The numbers simply do not stack up: there's no case for bringing Curran into the side. 

I am sure he will play a lot of cricket for England.  And I think it will be more of a batting all-rounder (like Stokes) than a bowling all-rounder (like Woakes).  But that's all for the future.  Happily, he has time on his side. 
    Curran has scored over 5 times as many test runs as Overton and 2 and a half times as many test wickets.

In fewer first class matches, Curran already has 1 and a half times as many 50's as Overton. Admittedly Overton has a century, but Curran was only a boundary away from one. 

I actually agree if Curran is going to force himself into the side it will probably be as a 4th choice seamer. On a good day, he doesn't get past Woakes as a 3rd seamer/No 8. But I think he is very unlucky to lose out to Overton. 
  • As a 3rd seamer , their bowling has to be key. Not sure either Overton or Curran are 3rd seamers really, who can prevent Stokes being overworked. 

• I actually still back Roy, but not to open. Seems odd to say with his low average and high risk batting but I do think he suits the number 4 role perfect. He is perfect to open in one day, as you need to start on the front foot, he looks quality when he is in good knick but I think he struggles as he cant just leave balls and play his way in. Well see but I hope the switch both helps Roy and Denly , on paper it should have always been where they both started really.
  • Chizz said:
    Chizz said:
    supaclive said:
    Australia have players out of form they drop them.....
    Selected series batting averages 
    Pattinson 23.00 dropped 
    Khawaja 20.33 dropped 
    Harris 13.50 not dropped 
    Warner 13.16 not dropped 
    Paine 12.83 not dropped 

A touring party can't drop everyone. I think the point trying to be made is that the Aussies are more ruthless in selection than us. If Australia had two batsmen averaging under 10 in a home series after 3 matches, they would be dropped. At this rate, Roy will have an average lower than monty panesar but will still be given more playing time.
    Do you think Australia are being "ruthless" with regards to David Warner?
    My point is, if you have a squad of 16 or 17? You can’t make many changes. I’m guessing they could fly someone in but that person would have played  very little cricket
    With respect, if that was your point you made it absolutely terribly. 
    Or you read it terribly 
  • Did you enjoy that last test match Johhny?
  • Chizz said:

Lots of people have better Test batting averages than Chris Woakes. Nearly all of them also have better batting averages than Sam Curran too. 

But Woakes' replacement - whenever required - needs to be a new ball bowler who can score runs. Not someone with a batting average of 32 who's a better batter than bowler.
  • Chizz said:
    Chizz said:

Curran and Woakes both played in the win versus Ireland.  Neither performed heroics with the bat. Curran picked up 3 first innings wickets and Woakes helped bowl England to victory with 6-17. Since then, however, Woakes has scored runs 8 at 28 and taken wickets at 29 in the Ashes, making him the second-ranked all-rounder on either side.  Curran has scored 14 runs and taken one wicket at 92 in first class matches.  If you drop a player, you should bring in someone who is either better or in better form, or, preferably, both.  At the moment, Curran is neither. 

Lots of people have better Test batting averages than Chris Woakes. Nearly all of them also have better batting averages than Sam Curran too. 

But Woakes' replacement - whenever required - needs to be a new ball bowler who can score runs. Not someone with a batting average of 32 who's a better batter than bowler.
    I am Chris Woakes biggest fan, he has been miss used by England for a long time.  That's another story.

With Stokes in the side it isn't an all rounder we are missing so batting averages etc are red herrings.  Is Overton, or young Sam, the 4th best bowling option avaliable after Archer, Broad and Leach?  If not they shouldn't be picked, regardless of they can bat or not. 

IMO Woakes was England's 3rd best bowler pre Archer and would remain it post Anderson.  His batting is/was irrelevant, or a bonus at best. 

If they/you think Curren is the best bowler avaliable fair play, then fine pick him on that basis.  But don't pick him cos he can "bat a bit". 

They picked Denly because he could "bowl a bit" now he is the 2nd best opener in England. Give me a break. 

• Sponsored links:

• Just bought a ticket for Saturday and a train ticket. Eek. 
  • Looks like it might rain a lot of today and a lot of Friday.

Saturday looks OK Suzi!
  • As a 3rd seamer , their bowling has to be key. Not sure either Overton or Curran are 3rd seamers really, who can prevent Stokes being overworked. 

Heard on 5live yesterday that Overton was selected ahead of Woakes because of his height. 
  • Rudders22 said:
    Did you enjoy that last test match Johhny?

What I saw off it mate, early doors it was frustrating (weather). On the final day I was just getting in from a pool comp when Stokesy needed 10 to win, what drama even from then. Innings of a lifetime that, was full of everything that test probably on par with the 20/20 win. Hopefully we can push on from here, I work from home so often try to get up on my phone in the background so I can watch most of it
  • Lots of rain around for the first 3 days of the test.

Great idea playing a test match in Manchester in September! 
  • Sunny at the moment in Manchester, think we’ll get through to lunch ok
  • Labuschagne just walked past me, didn't get a chance to sledge him or trip him up  :)
  • Who won the toss? I am at hospital for my appt. No chance i will be home by 1pm. My appt was 10.40 and still waiting for xray. 
  • Can traffic get quite bad getting away from Old Trafford CC?

Taking my Wife up to a Conference that she has on the weekend so driving up on Friday

Probably wont get to Trafford till 5 - 7pm
  • Sponsored links:

• Rudders22 said:
    Who won the toss? I am at hospital for my appt. No chance i will be home by 1pm. My appt was 10.40 and still waiting for xray. 
    Aussies... they've chosen to bat first
  • Can traffic get quite bad getting away from Old Trafford CC?

Taking my Wife up to a Conference that she has on the weekend so driving up on Friday

Probably wont get to Trafford till 5 - 7pm
    Be pretty busy, you'll get caught in rush hour traffic too
  • Rudders22 said:
    Who won the toss? I am at hospital for my appt. No chance i will be home by 1pm. My appt was 10.40 and still waiting for xray. 
    Tough weather to bat in, but then the first 3 days will all be challenging 
  • I'm expecting the Aussies to win this Test :-(
  • Rudders22 said:
    Thanks. I wont miss our usual batting collapse then. 

If they are not a bit shell-shocked by Headingley, and the fact they have won the toss, you would expect them to be favourites. As always , first session is key.
    That's the spirit!
    Sadly me 2. Smith and the original replacement are they for me. If we can get them out cheaply we may have a chance. If not it's goodbye Ashes. 
  • Let's hope we bowl well before lunch.  And bat brilliantly straight after.
  • Warner lasted twice as long as I thought he would.