Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

England Cricket Team Summer 2019 -ICC World Cup and Ashes etc

Comments

• Chizz said:
    All kicking off on twitter between Warne, Prior, and Chris Adams.

Prior made a little reference to Lyon screwing up - which after his attack in the press conference against Prior a few years back he has every right to do.

Adams backs Prior up - and Warne slates Adams as a club cricketer who's dribble nobody cares about. and starts calling Prior childish.

Heating up just in time for Old Trafford!
    A current player having a dig at another player (as Lyon did to Prior) has to be utterly and completely confident he will never allow a situation where the sledging can be fired back at him.  In that regard, Lyon has failed, completely.  

If you dish out jibes (like "Could we end some careers? I hope so,") or if you play for a team whose coach encourages insulting and aggressive attitudes from fans (e.g. Lehmann saying Stuart Broad is a "blatant cheat" and "I hope the Australian public give it to him right from the word go for the whole summer.  And I hope he cries and goes home") you have to expect to receive some of it back again.  

Lyon was picked by Lehmann as part of a four-man bowling attack, bowling more than 50 overs in the match in which Australia's cheating was finally exposed.  I cannot believe he didn't know it was taking place.  He deserves everything that's coming to him.  

I don't want to see his career ended (as he said about a few England players) or to see him crying and going home (like his coach did).  I want to see him continue to set the Ashes alight with his cricket.  Because, so far, he's the only player to make a century in every match so far this series.  3-112 in the first innings at Edgbaston, 0-102 in the second innings at Lord's and 2-114 in the second innings at Headingley.  Long may it continue. 
    Nice one Chizz.
    Dont forget wanting to break Jimmys arm too.
  • £951 each. Works out £59 per match. 

*gulp*
    Still cheaper than having kids ;-)
    Didn't use to be, you could send 'em down pit or t'mill at 5 to earn their own keep.

• Chizz said:

Anybody going to OT?

Its normally a quick wicket - might suit Oz more than us? (though Jofra might have something to say about that!)

Please say you're going @suzisausage..!
    Husband going on a stag. I’m banned. :( 

I'll look after him :-)

You're taking my place, so you better. In order for us to win, you need to keep him regularly hydrated (with Cider) and make sure he wears his hat or puts sun cream on his delicate parts. 

Thank you.   

• Chizz said:

Anybody going to OT?

Its normally a quick wicket - might suit Oz more than us? (though Jofra might have something to say about that!)

Please say you're going @suzisausage..!
    Husband going on a stag. I’m banned. :( 

Boo!

PS You can always get another husband but when a Test has been played it's gone forever.
    Is that an offer?
    I think Ms AA, guts, and garters would come into consideration.
  • Chizz said:

Prior made a little reference to Lyon screwing up - which after his attack in the press conference against Prior a few years back he has every right to do.

Adams backs Prior up - and Warne slates Adams as a club cricketer who's dribble nobody cares about. and starts calling Prior childish.

A current player having a dig at another player (as Lyon did to Prior) has to be utterly and completely confident he will never allow a situation where the sledging can be fired back at him.  In that regard, Lyon has failed, completely.  

If you dish out jibes (like "Could we end some careers? I hope so,") or if you play for a team whose coach encourages insulting and aggressive attitudes from fans (e.g. Lehmann saying Stuart Broad is a "blatant cheat" and "I hope the Australian public give it to him right from the word go for the whole summer.  And I hope he cries and goes home") you have to expect to receive some of it back again.  

Lyon was picked by Lehmann as part of a four-man bowling attack, bowling more than 50 overs in the match in which Australia's cheating was finally exposed.  I cannot believe he didn't know it was taking place.  He deserves everything that's coming to him.  

I don't want to see his career ended (as he said about a few England players) or to see him crying and going home (like his coach did).  I want to see him continue to set the Ashes alight with his cricket.  Because, so far, he's the only player to make a century in every match so far this series.  3-112 in the first innings at Edgbaston, 0-102 in the second innings at Lord's and 2-114 in the second innings at Headingley.  Long may it continue. 
    Spot on. 

Have to admit I didn’t realise his figures were that bat. Hindsight’s a wonderful thing but thought it was crazy he bowled so much on Sunday when Stokes was smashing him down the ground so frequently. 
    Since the half-way point in the Lord's test, Lyon has figures of 66-8-218-2, and an average of 109.0.  The two wickets he has taken in those 66 overs are the freak dismissal of Root (caught by Warner, having flown over the keeper's head off inside edge and front pad) and Archer (caught off a mis-hit sweep, a couple of feet from a six at midwicket).  

He's the side's number one spinner, so the captain should be able to throw the ball to him when he wants to slow the scoring rate.  In fact, he's conceding more runs per over than Cummins, Hazlewood, Pattinson, Siddle and Labuschagne.  

He's the side's number one spinner, so should be relied on to concede fewer runs than his team-mates.  In fact, he's conceded more runs than any of his team-mates and more runs than any of his team-mates have scored.  

Maybe the Australians think he's making up for his shortfall in the bowling department by the weight of the runs he's scoring.  28 so far. At 9.33. 

Of Australia's spin bowlers, he's thirty-fifth in the list, by bowling average.  He's good.  But "Greatest Of All Time"?  My arse. 

• edited August 2019
    To be fair, the stag do tickets are for the Friday, and I was looking at buying on the Saturday so we may both be going but separately. The weather looks poor anyway so I’m hoping for a draw. 

We have tickets for 1, 3 and 5 for Oval. 
    We have tickets for day 2 at The Oval.  Anyone else?
    Day 5 at the Oval, took the risk for £25 that a) it'd get that far and b) we wouldn't have lost already.  Could be no 5th day, could be a bit of a pointless dead rubber, or could be the day that we win the Ashes, we shall see.
    We're going on days 1 & 5.
    Day 5 will be refunded if no play.
  • Soapbox time.

In Future can so called England media wait for the large lady to sing or Ben Stokes to hit the winning run before writing the obituary.

The Daily mail conceded the ashes after day two of this test. Sure the score in 1st innings was shocking But I can't remember Liverpool throwing the towel in at 3-0 down at HT to AC Milan In Istanbul.

Any doughnut can support a team when the team are on a  Crest of a wave.
    Special fans support a team when there are struggling. Of course say it's a bad shot(stokes shot in 1st innings was bad by  20/20 standards) yet the skills picked up in the shorter format, the reverse sweep for 6 and the 6 behind the wicket were learnt in the one day game.
    The poor shots in 1st innings were also learnt in limited overs cricket.

NO INQUEST UNTIL BODY IS DEAD.

• Chizz said:
    Chizz said:

Spot on. 

Have to admit I didn’t realise his figures were that bat. Hindsight’s a wonderful thing but thought it was crazy he bowled so much on Sunday when Stokes was smashing him down the ground so frequently. 
    Since the half-way point in the Lord's test, Lyon has figures of 66-8-218-2, and an average of 109.0.  The two wickets he has taken in those 66 overs are the freak dismissal of Root (caught by Warner, having flown over the keeper's head off inside edge and front pad) and Archer (caught off a mis-hit sweep, a couple of feet from a six at midwicket).  

He's the side's number one spinner, so the captain should be able to throw the ball to him when he wants to slow the scoring rate.  In fact, he's conceding more runs per over than Cummins, Hazlewood, Pattinson, Siddle and Labuschagne.  

He's the side's number one spinner, so should be relied on to concede fewer runs than his team-mates.  In fact, he's conceded more runs than any of his team-mates and more runs than any of his team-mates have scored.  

Maybe the Australians think he's making up for his shortfall in the bowling department by the weight of the runs he's scoring.  28 so far. At 9.33. 

Of Australia's spin bowlers, he's thirty-fifth in the list, by bowling average.  He's good.  But "Greatest Of All Time"?  My arse. 

Good facts, never understood the hype myself to be honest. 

Despite some poor batting it’s all been about the seamers really which is no surprise. 
  • Chizz said:

Nice one Chizz.
    Dont forget wanting to break Jimmys arm too.
    It's really interesting you bring that point up, because it describes, perfectly, the "what goes around, comes around" principle. If you dish it out on a cricket pitch, be prepared for it to come back, in spades.

Nathan Lyon wasn't playing in the match when Michael Clarke spat his cowardly, unpleasant and unnecessary quote "get ready for a broken fucking arm, Jimmy".  But it's a great example of how swiftly stupid comments can come back to haunt.  He should have kept his mouth shut and let his team win the game for him.  But he ended up very, very badly on the wrong side of karma.  

Because, the other protagonists in that unhappy episode involving Clarke and Anderson were George Bailey (making his debut) and Mitchell Johnson.  So, what about karma?  Well, look at where each of them is, now.  Clarke, Johnson, Bailey and Anderson are all in their late thirties.  Clarke was fined.  He and Johnson no longer play the game.  Bailey hasn't played a test match for more than five years.  And Sir James Anderson is preparing to open the bowling for England from the James Anderson end at Old Trafford.  Last laugh. 

But there's one more point about horrible Clarke and his horrible team's horrible sledging.  It's this quote: "those who claim to love the game [should] reflect upon whether the practice of sledging is worthy of its participants. An outsider is left to wonder why such a beautiful game would need such an ugly underside".  

And who said that?  New South Wales state coroner Michael Barnes, in his findings following the death of Phillip Hughes, close friend of Michael Clarke, opening batsman in the match in which Clarke spat his disgusting comment at Anderson.  Hughes was felled by a bouncer, in a game in which (Australian Test player) Doug Bollinger is said to have warned him "I'm going to kill you".  
  • I must admit I was shocked when I heard earlier in the series how many test wickets he has taken. He has now passed the great Dennis Lillee, although in a lot more tests. But to paraphrase Fred Trueman, Lillee took his wickets, Lyon buys his.
  • Sponsored links:

• Stokes's heroics and Aussies choking combined to possibly the worst possible outcome for English cricket beyond this September.
    Sunday's freak result gives captain cretin and his overlords the perfect spin for their bankrupt narrative - "we'll keep playing positive, everybody has to play their own game, blah blah, balls balls, excuses, excuses and the perfect get out for half the team to phone in a performance every other game"
    Anderson's recovery, provides the perfect replacement for the out of form Woakes and that will be probably the only change, unless the establishment's blind devotion to Moeen Ali sees him return ludicrously at the expense of the resolute Leach -  I wouldn't be at all surprised.

What English cricket needs is an unsentimental clearout.  Determination and concentration essential - test matches can last 5 days, 440+ overs, 30+ hours of action.  There's way too few at the hub of this setup who are inclined to respect that.  Winning every game is unrealistic, but making the avoidance of defeat the closest of close 2nd targets is compulsory.  Anybody even slightly unconvinced of that can play their cricket elsewhere.
    OTT as usual, BUT a few good points made, if over dramatically ((:>)
  • Stokes's heroics and Aussies choking combined to possibly the worst possible outcome for English cricket beyond this September.
    Sunday's freak result gives captain cretin and his overlords the perfect spin for their bankrupt narrative - "we'll keep playing positive, everybody has to play their own game, blah blah, balls balls, excuses, excuses and the perfect get out for half the team to phone in a performance every other game"
    Anderson's recovery, provides the perfect replacement for the out of form Woakes and that will be probably the only change, unless the establishment's blind devotion to Moeen Ali sees him return ludicrously at the expense of the resolute Leach -  I wouldn't be at all surprised.

What English cricket needs is an unsentimental clearout.  Determination and concentration essential - test matches can last 5 days, 440+ overs, 30+ hours of action.  There's way too few at the hub of this setup who are inclined to respect that.  Winning every game is unrealistic, but making the avoidance of defeat the closest of close 2nd targets is compulsory.  Anybody even slightly unconvinced of that can play their cricket elsewhere.
    OTT I know, BUT is a new one on me.  Buttocks Up Top? Someone help me our.
  • If you are prepared to give it out. 
    Be prepared to get it back.
    End of 
  • So, whats the Twitter latest?
    I hope Warne is getting shit. 
  • edited August 2019
    Anderson got through 20 overs in a 2nd XI match today.
  • To be fair, the stag do tickets are for the Friday, and I was looking at buying on the Saturday so we may both be going but separately. The weather looks poor anyway so I’m hoping for a draw. 

Day 5 at the Oval, took the risk for £25 that a) it'd get that far and b) we wouldn't have lost already.  Could be no 5th day, could be a bit of a pointless dead rubber, or could be the day that we win the Ashes, we shall see.
    Done the same. Whole load of us in block 8 of the OCS stand. Should be fun. If there is no play we are planning on finding somewhere to have a net as we have all booked the day off work.

Hoping we win the next test then with the help of some rain need to play out the last day to win the series.
  • All kicking off on twitter between Warne, Prior, and Chris Adams.

Hate Shane Warne. But find it hard to back that clueless prick Adams.
  • Just thought i'd bump it :)
  • To be fair, the stag do tickets are for the Friday, and I was looking at buying on the Saturday so we may both be going but separately. The weather looks poor anyway so I’m hoping for a draw. 

Done the same. Whole load of us in block 8 of the OCS stand. Should be fun. If there is no play we are planning on finding somewhere to have a net as we have all booked the day off work.

Hoping we win the next test then with the help of some rain need to play out the last day to win the series.
    Same here - the thinking of an alternative as we have a day off.  

Think we're in block 10 or 11, can't remember now.
  • Sponsored links:

• What day is day 5 ? Monday?

OTT I know, BUT is a new one on me.  Buttocks Up Top? Someone help me our.
    it seems the 'buttocks up top' reference has been edited .. I suspect that B OT is a euphemism for breasts, what Aussies might call 'a nice pair of top bollocks' ((:>)
  • If you are prepared to give it out. 
    Be prepared to get it back.
    End of 
    Is that referring to buttocks up top  :D
  • What day is day 5 ? Monday?
    Yes, Mon 16th.
  • Nathan Lyon has ‘injured his ankle’ playing a game of Aussie rules football in an Australia training session.

The incident was reported by Daniel Brettig, assistant editor of ESPNcricinfo, from Derbyshire where the Australian team are preparing for a warm-up game ahead of the fourth Ashes Test at Old Trafford, which begins on Thursday 4 September.

Brettig tweeted: “Drama at Derbyshire. Nathan Lyon looks to have hurt an ankle or something like it during Aust touch footy game. Limping heavily, straight into the rooms with doctor Richard Saw.”

• Nathan Lyon has ‘injured his ankle’ playing a game of Aussie rules football in an Australia training session.

The incident was reported by Daniel Brettig, assistant editor of ESPNcricinfo, from Derbyshire where the Australian team are preparing for a warm-up game ahead of the fourth Ashes Test at Old Trafford, which begins on Thursday 4 September.

Brettig tweeted: “Drama at Derbyshire. Nathan Lyon looks to have hurt an ankle or something like it during Aust touch footy game. Limping heavily, straight into the rooms with doctor Richard Saw.”

I hope the Doctor doesn't live up to his name!

The incident was reported by Daniel Brettig, assistant editor of ESPNcricinfo, from Derbyshire where the Australian team are preparing for a warm-up game ahead of the fourth Ashes Test at Old Trafford, which begins on Thursday 4 Septembeleace Lyonr.

I hope the Doctor doesn't live up to his name!
    shades of McGrath treading on a rogue ball back in 2005 .. now the Aussies have a good excuse to leave out Lyon and pick an all pace attack by including Starc
  • Not pick a spinner at Old Trafford? Yeah that'd be good 
  • Maybe they'll fly Lloyd Pope out as a sort of Hail Mary 
  • Lyon is having a shocking tour.