Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

England v Czech Republic-7:45PM

Comments

• Options
    The last few years we have won almost everything at youth level 17s/19s etc.

Southgate was the absolute perfect appointment to drip feed those players into the squad and blend with the experience already there.

With those groups all peaking at a similar time, looking back I think that was the most important decision the FA have made in years.
    could easily never of happened. think we should all say a big thanks to the Telegraph and their sting on Allardyce.
  • Options
    Have always said England will never win a World Cup or Euros in my lifetime

England will win a World Cup or Euros in the next 12 years
    France are our biggest European threat at the moment I reckon - Still think the Belgium team is a bit like the England Golden Generation, plus other than Tielemans do they have many youngsters coming through now?

Agree about France. I also think Holland are improving after recent years not qualifying. Watching Ajax team the other week against Real Madrid I was very impressed with some of their young Dutch players. Still think England could do very well next year
    I'm constantly forgetting about Holland after their Nations League comeback - Our game against them will be fascinating in June
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    Jesus wept... Regardless we've gotta remember we've had a LOT of luck this second half; some of these deflections we've benefited from could have gone anywhere
    But you make that luck by attacking time after time and taking shots and putting in crosses. 

Any my level of the game, most goals come from defensive errors and the more defending you make the opposition do the more likely they will make a mistake. 
    Couldnt agree more

Its also the difference between Bowyer's and Robinson's Charlton
  • Options
    You can tell Hudson Odoi will be some player - he’s already pretty handy! 

Best thing for England will be if he gets his move to Bayern imo. Rather than sitting on the bench......

unless the the likes of him and Foden break through next year
    His lack of game time is making Sarri look a bit of a knob
  • Options
    Chelsea transfer embargo could help CHI if he stays
  • Options
    When did we last thrash a Nation this high in the FIFA Rankings (they're 44th) - i.e. We can score this many against the likes of San Marino etc. but dont remember a scoreline against a non-minnow since our 5-1 win against Germany
  • Options
    When did we last thrash a Nation this high in the FIFA Rankings (they're 44th) - i.e. We can score this many against the likes of San Marino etc. but dont remember a scoreline against a non-minnow since our 5-1 win against Germany
    Weirdly it doesn’t feel that exciting either, I’m almost expecting comfortable wins now!
  • Options
    Not counting Panama in the summer this is the first time we've scored five goals against non-minnows since 2010 World Cup QF when we won 5-1 at home to Croatia

The only other time since 2000 was THAT Germany win
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    That’s the big difference right there. We’d probably have won this game 3 or 4 years ago too, but it would have been laboured and probably by the odd goal. 

That was very very comfortable tonight. They have confidence and a swagger. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited March 2019
    Is it just me, or does Joe Cole look like a year 10 kid on work experience?
  • Options
    Bit of a random one, but watching the Czechs and the name of Milan Baros has popped into my mind.

I may be wrong but weren’t we reportedly close to signing him / scouting him before he went to Liverpool?
    Jeff Vetere was definitely aware of him, but I think we were too late. 

He is still playing in the Czech first division, for Banik Ostrava, and has led their recent revival. He's still a player to be reckoned with at that level. 
  • Options
    That’s the big difference right there. We’d probably have won this game 3 or 4 years ago too, but it would have been laboured and probably by the odd goal. 

That was very very comfortable tonight. They have confidence and a swagger. 
    It was comfortable but it was also one of those nights where literally everything went right for us. Penalty could've easily not been given, 1 goal had a huge deflection, the last goal was a comical own goal.
  • Options
    I’ve very much enjoyed that. Footballs coming home again
  • Options
    Positives:
    Raheem Sterling. What a player he has developed into and still very young. Pep had to take huge credit of course, he is an incredible coach. But I think Southgate does too for sticking by him when the media was on his back. Sterling is a credit to himself. He is passionate and says what he believes in and is reaping the rewards from his hard work now.

Some exciting and fantastic young talent coming through and showing how good they are. This bodes very well for the future.

I am convinced Kane is going to bypass the scoring records for England. No doubt.

We now look as though we have many different parts to our team. We have flair, aggression, physicality, tactical awareness, skill, speed. There is so much this side can do.

We have many players out injured at the moment who would normally be playing. Gomez, Stones, Lingard, Rashford just for example.

It feels brilliant to be able to support our nation with pride once more. The World Cup has brought us together again and we have gone from strength to strength since. If we were to replay the tournament again this summer, I think we could probably go on and win it.

Negatives:
    We don’t need two of Henderson, Dier, Winks, Rice etc playing at home, against this type of opposition. It’s wasted and we are far better when we have one of them with two forward thinking players either side.

The lack of striker suitable for this role if Kane is out as he has been before with his ankle ligament problems.

Players being picked and played for England when they haven’t been playing or playing well for their clubs. - this isn’t aimed at Hudson-Odoi, more Dier for example.

Overall, very pleased and looking forward to the future. Next year could well be a very good one for the England team.
  • Options
    It's a bit late for me to..er..check this, but I don't remember the Czech Republic losing by five goals in a major tournament since I moved out here, and that was in 1993.
  • Options
    That was a performance we have been threatening to do to someone for a while. Czech Republic are not an awful side at all, granted they don't have poborsky, nedved and Berger in their midfield anymore but they should not be getting tonked 5 nil in a qualifier which speaks volumes for us. The front 3 were horrible to the Czech defence and the way we pour bodies forwards means we should score plenty especially if we get an early goal and the opposition have to come at us. 

It's hard to judge Rice fairly as the game was well won when he came on but he was very confident and dynamic which is all he can be I suppose. I thought we would miss Lingards energy in midfield but Southgate doesn't half demand some graft from his players. 

Which leads me into my cynical thought in that we will struggle to win a tournament due to getting fatigued in the later parts playing the way we do. That is me though, can't just be positive and happy!
  • Options
    Have always said England will never win a World Cup or Euros in my lifetime

England will win a World Cup or Euros in the next 12 years
    I’d agree, @paulie8290. I just need to hang around for another 12 years.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    rina said:
    'Cap for England before he makes a Premier League start' 

Something not right about that. 
    anyone know if Kalas made a premier league start for Chelsea? they may have 2 players on the pitch that haven't started a league game for them
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/27092978
  • Options
    Carter said:
    Sage said:
    Positives:
    Raheem Sterling. What a player he has developed into and still very young. Pep had to take huge credit of course, he is an incredible coach. But I think Southgate does too for sticking by him when the media was on his back. Sterling is a credit to himself. He is passionate and says what he believes in and is reaping the rewards from his hard work now.

Some exciting and fantastic young talent coming through and showing how good they are. This bodes very well for the future.

I am convinced Kane is going to bypass the scoring records for England. No doubt.

We now look as though we have many different parts to our team. We have flair, aggression, physicality, tactical awareness, skill, speed. There is so much this side can do.

We have many players out injured at the moment who would normally be playing. Gomez, Stones, Lingard, Rashford just for example.

It feels brilliant to be able to support our nation with pride once more. The World Cup has brought us together again and we have gone from strength to strength since. If we were to replay the tournament again this summer, I think we could probably go on and win it.

Negatives:
    We don’t need two of Henderson, Dier, Winks, Rice etc playing at home, against this type of opposition. It’s wasted and we are far better when we have one of them with two forward thinking players either side.

The lack of striker suitable for this role if Kane is out as he has been before with his ankle ligament problems.

Players being picked and played for England when they haven’t been playing or playing well for their clubs. - this isn’t aimed at Hudson-Odoi, more Dier for example.

Overall, very pleased and looking forward to the future. Next year could well be a very good one for the England team.
    I'd have Calvert-Lewin as backup for Kane. He's an able deputy. Kane has turned into such a class, class footballer and I was so happy for Sterling he's playing the best football of his life at the moment and deserved his hat trick I just wish he'd have got one last summer to shut all the dickheads up who wanted him dropped without understanding what he did 
    I thought Wilson looked more than capable when he played in the friendly game a few months ago. Kane would be a loss to any side in the world but I do think we have 1 or 2 that could do a job and still get the best from Sterling and Sancho 
  • Options
    Rashford could also play central if Kane is out for any reason
  • Options
    Full marks to Southgate, A good young manager, who's getting better. Seems to understand the modern game, the players relate to him. Sterling is on the verge of becoming world class. At last being able to watch England with a beer, and not wanting to put my foot through the screen!
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    In the past, every qualifier felt nervy until the first England goal went in. Because you never knew what you were going to get. Thought we looked so comfortable throughout. 

This game never felt nervy. the fans and the team know we have the quality, the confidence and the goals to win games now. What a difference that makes. 

Watching Sancho, Sterling and Kane link-up (and at the end Hudson-Odoi) was a joy. 

Is it any coincidence that Sterling finally looks comfortable in an English shirt after his famous tweet and realising that the country is on his side? He doesn't have to fear the papers anymore and he's playing like he does for Man City.

Got to add - Vydra had been talking in the press about how they were going to target Maguire as England's weak link. I bloody loved when Maguire absolutely whacked him and sent him and the ball flying halfway down the pitch. Have that mate!

(Who is that Nigel Farage-wannabe presenter on ITV? My god he is annoying.)
  • Options
    I still can't really believe Matej Vydra actually said that, but I certainly enjoyed that tackle. My neighbour Mad Vincent actually went to the game, after first turning up at The Valley, to, as he put it, try to 'resolve your Duchatelet problem for you"; he's a bit silent now but I will try and coax some comment out of him
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    It's a bit late for me to..er..check this, but I don't remember the Czech Republic losing by five goals in a major tournament since I moved out here, and that was in 1993.
    I assume you got steaming drunk, then ran naked through  the streets screaming "have that you c***s" (in perfect Czech)
  • Options
    Great performance from England. It's exciting to watch so many young players develop at the same time. The only thing missing is a world class playmaker. If we can upgrade the midfield we'll be right up there with the big boys.