Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Summer 2019 Transfer Rumours (ed. Pg 296 - Start of Deadline Day)

Comments

• Options
    edited August 2019
    I guess he was on high wages with Sunderland from their Premier League days

Season in the Championship left him with no takers and a season in League One certainly left him with no takers... Cant imagine a Premier League team wanting to touch someone at a club with a poor two years, nor can I imagine a Championship team wanting to pay someone on such high wages for similar reasons - take Ben Amos and his struggles of late with finding loan clubs from Bolton.

Matthews deal of course ended in the summer which game Sunderland the chance to get him off the wage bill - Reckon they'd have kept him at the club else

Remember him being very highly rated when he initially came through @ Cardiff though so would be very happy if we signed him

Sort of thing that amuses me (e.g. Jacko scoring his first goal at the Valley for Spurs) yet Matthews' first ever appearance on the bench for Cardiff was at the Valley (2-2 draw), didnt get on though
    Sounds like the kind of player that Bow thrives on bringing the best out of, clearly has talent but has lost his way. If anyone can get his career back on track its LB - hope we sign him.
    Maybe not the player we need after all; taken from Wiki and his time @ Bristol City

After only two appearances for Sunderland, he joined Championship club Bristol City on loan for the remainder of the season, on 7 March 2016.[25] He made his debut in Bristol City's 6–0 win over bottom club, Bolton Wanderers on 19 March.[26] Matthews helped City to safety during his nine appearances.

Do we really want to be signing players who can only help their club to safety, surely we only want players who know how to win the Championship now? ;)
  • Options
    After years of everyone calling Damian Matthew, Damian Matthews.....

Im looking forward to Adam Matthews being called Adam Matthew for his time as a Charlton player
  • Options
    Another Welsh international to add to Williams and Lockyer...
  • Options

Im looking forward to Adam Matthews being called Adam Matthew for his time as a Charlton player
    You just know it will happen.  Bloke in front of me on Wednesday kept referring to Sam Field as Sam Fields. Still only right when we have Lyle Taylors and Dillon Philip is the team. 
  • Options
    IR94 said:
    any decent free right backs about, still deffo need 1

en a sale.We could be winners all round.
    Chris Gunter?
    Not out of contract so can no longer sign him 
    I thought I read he had been released just before the window. Maybe confusing him with some other Welsh git. They all look the same to me.
    Yes, I was confusing him with Joe Ledley, who is a midfielder. We have enough of those, thanks.
  • Options

You just know it will happen.  Bloke in front of me on Wednesday kept referring to Sam Field as Sam Fields.
    Still only right when we have Lyle Taylors and Dillon Philip is the team. 
    Kyle Taylor, you mean. :smile:

• Options
    ross1 said:
    So we are also trialling Adam Matthews.
  • Options
    ross1 said:
    So we are also trialling Adam Matthews.
    Yep, Lee Bowyer said so in his Press Conference this morning.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Not one of ours but an ex. Sunderland are interested in Morgan Fox

Sunderland could make a second bid for Sheffield Wednesday's Welsh defender Morgan Fox, 25. (Newcastle Chronicle)
    Coventry has had a bid turned down
  • Options
    So Transfer Window for League One / League Two closes today

Thoughts on players leaving us today?

Albie Morgan surely off to a League One club - Is the one that interests me the most

Brenden Wiredu hopefully off to a League Two club?

Then do you keep George Lapslie what with his continued appearances on the bench or loan out Forster-Caskey?

Dont really think there is anyone else unless Bowyer has changed his mind over Bonne leaving
  • Options
    Morgan, Wiredu and JFC if the right league clubs come in plus any of the kids below like Dempsey and Dougherty if there was interest.
  • Options
    Morgan, Wiredu and JFC if the right league clubs come in plus any of the kids below like Dempsey and Dougherty if there was interest.
    Forgot about Doughty
  • Options
    Could be bad... Cawley is saying no one has made a bid for Albie Morgan
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    That's ridiculous, surely the L1 sides would have seen Morgan's promise last season? 
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    That's ridiculous, surely the L1 sides would have seen Morgan's promise last season? 
    Especially as he played in the two Semi-Final games
  • Options
    They would've seen him get physically overwhelmed and a bit lost during the first 45 mins in the home leg v Donny.
    He was withdrawn at half time, remember. 

But nevertheless it's a strange one. There are plenty of match video's available where you can see his impact on Charlton 1st team matches at the back end of last season.

Surprised Karl Robinson hasn't come in for him. He plays 5 in midfield and already knows Morgan's potential. 

• Options
    Oggy Red said:
    They would've seen him get physically overwhelmed and a bit lost during the first 45 mins in the home leg v Donny.

But nevertheless it's a strange one. There are plenty of match video's available where you can see his impact on Charlton 1st team matches at the back end of last season.

Surprised Karl Robinson hasn't come in for him. He plays 5 in midfield and already knows Morgan's potential. 

Very true but think it says a lot about Morgan and his character that Bowyer was able to put him in for those two games - Play-Offs are very different kettle of fish compared to the League season, if a player can almost handle the Play-Offs then for me they should be able to handle most of what the rest of the season can throw at them

Wonder if the loan deal will happen towards the end of the window when clubs realise they're not going to get a Premier League player in on loan, wont be surprised if some still hope to get Herbie Kane on loan so when that doesnt materialise will move on to lower targets
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:

Very true but think it says a lot about Morgan and his character that Bowyer was able to put him in for those two games - Play-Offs are very different kettle of fish compared to the League season, if a player can almost handle the Play-Offs then for me they should be able to handle most of what the rest of the season can throw at them

Wonder if the loan deal will happen towards the end of the window when clubs realise they're not going to get a Premier League player in on loan, wont be surprised if some still hope to get Herbie Kane on loan so when that doesnt materialise will move on to lower targets
    As the window slams shut at 17:00 today they'd better get a move on!
  • Options
    Strange about Albie. He didn’t look at all out of place in league one. His defensive weaknesses are balanced by his attacking prowess and he could do well for the right team. 
  • Options
    I think I have heard on Talksport that they have to be on the list with the EFL by mid day. 
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:

As the window slams shut at 17:00 today they'd better get a move on!
    I guess clubs will be able to piss around with the data sheets again so will have until 7pm

Although I guess they dont need as long to complete a loan deal

Next question: If Albie doesnt move to a L1 | L2 team, do we send him to a National League team as Non-League isnt restricted to the transfer window as we've seen with previous loans to that level... Or is that just taking the piss out of him and might as well just stay and work with our own first team on the training pitch?
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    Well this has just made it less likely... Albie plays today for the U23s @ Sheffield United

He's not even near Sparrows Lane at the moment

Neither Wiredu or Doughty involved though so guess it increases their chances of heading out