Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Summer 2019 Transfer Rumours (ed. Pg 296 - Start of Deadline Day)

Comments

• Options
    Three minutes at the end is obviously not enough to judge a performance. Lepoint rarely got more than a few minutes either. I wasn't there for the infamous Simon Francis game. Dan Seaborne vs Ipswich is up there too, I was at that one
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Leuth said:
    Solly covering at left-back last season was, I am sorry to say, one of the worst performances I've ever seen from a Charlton player, culminating in a ridiculous red-card tackle I think 
    Daft comment
    Why? I've only seen about 200-300 Charlton games total, maybe (in person or on TV) - not many of those games have featured someone routinely losing the ball, getting skinned and then diving in two-footed when we're chasing the game against 10 men
    Did you not watch LePoint, El-Kalej, Thuram, Kandol, Frimpong, Abbott, Doodoo, early Nabby or Kerkar play...!?!?
  • Options
    Sorry just trying to catch up.  Re right back Bowyer is right it's the least important position in any squad, for more reasons than you might think.

1) Full backs, generally were something else first, at some level.  Either wingers, center halves or midfield players who don't have the tricks, physical presents or engine to excel in those positions.  

2) It is a relatively easy position to play, the whole game is in front of you, or should be, and you spend most of it facing the same way.

3) You should always have a team mate at 9 o'clock and 12 o'clock, or as near as possible.  A center half, worth his salt, should be able to "coach" you through a game, failing that, you should be near the touch line so for at least half the game the manager, a coach or a sub (remember Andy Hughes?) can do it. 

4) I think we have 5 naturally left footed players in our squad, so, excluding the keepers, we have about 15 right footed ones, a reasonable full back should never need to use their "wrong foot".

If you think about all the good/great full backs we have had I think it's almost common that the right backs should have been something else, but for the lack of something obvious, where the left backs you can't really imagine them being any thing diffrent. Any coach worth their salt, can make right back out of someone in their squad. 
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    Leuth said:
    Three minutes at the end is obviously not enough to judge a performance. Lepoint rarely got more than a few minutes either. I wasn't there for the infamous Simon Francis game. Dan Seaborne vs Ipswich is up there too, I was at that one
    What about Joe Pigott against Millwall or did he not play long enough to suit your argument either? - Not completely defending Chris against Oxford as he was shit but to say that was the worst ever performance is a bit rubbish
  • Options
    They’ve all gone home for the weekend so our case isn’t getting reviewed till next week. They are an absolute joke haha 
    Put yourself in the FA's shoes.

The FA have got something like 14 on the committee - and only 2 staff to do the admin, of which one is on holiday.

Don't give her grief or she won't come in on Monday.

• Options
    PS .

IF Taylor does start playing up then we could still sell him before the end of the month.......to a L1 or L2 side.

Tell him Pompey or Ipswich have come for him - I'm sure he'll like another stint in L1.

Thats the stance I'd be taking IF he doesn't get his head done - but I'm sure he will & he will be back to his striking best.
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Leuth said:
    Solly covering at left-back last season was, I am sorry to say, one of the worst performances I've ever seen from a Charlton player, culminating in a ridiculous red-card tackle I think 
    Daft comment
    Why? I've only seen about 200-300 Charlton games total, maybe (in person or on TV) - not many of those games have featured someone routinely losing the ball, getting skinned and then diving in two-footed when we're chasing the game against 10 men
    What about players like Polish Pete who only get three minutes of Football or Christophe Lepoint who ran around as though he'd won a competition?
    Not to mention Thuram or Rhoys Williams in more recent times.
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    What about Joe Pigott against Millwall or did he not play long enough to suit your argument either? - Not completely defending Chris against Oxford as he was shit but to say that was the worst ever performance is a bit rubbish
    I was watching Pigott vs Millwall on a laptop in Cyprus, doesn't really count. Wasn't at the Hull game where Rhys Williams didn't exactly shine either
  • Options
    Only Thuram game I remember being at was the win over QPR where he, sure, passed it straight to their striker, but then fooled him into running out of play. Quite entertaining
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Leuth - I am old enough to remember the infamous Mike Small.  Unfortunately.
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Leuth said:
    I was watching Pigott vs Millwall on a laptop in Cyprus, doesn't really count. Wasn't at the Hull game where Rhys Williams didn't exactly shine either
    I thought you was proper Charlton following them week in week out over land and sea  ;)
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Poor Pig. I remember watching him just run the ball out of play for no reason and visibly dying a little inside
    Yep, thrown to the wolves  lions that day  :(
  • Options
    Going back to the 90s, Tom Hovi was dreadful. Paul Bacon wasn't much better!
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Sorry just trying to catch up.  Re right back Bowyer is right it's the least important position in any squad, for more reasons than you might think.

1) Full backs, generally were something else first, at some level.  Either wingers, center halves or midfield players who don't have the tricks, physical presents or engine to excel in those positions.  

2) It is a relatively easy position to play, the whole game is in front of you, or should be, and you spend most of it facing the same way.

3) You should always have a team mate at 9 o'clock and 12 o'clock, or as near as possible.  A center half, worth his salt, should be able to "coach" you through a game, failing that, you should be near the touch line so for at least half the game the manager, a coach or a sub (remember Andy Hughes?) can do it. 

4) I think we have 5 naturally left footed players in our squad, so, excluding the keepers, we have about 15 right footed ones, a reasonable full back should never need to use their "wrong foot".

If you think about all the good/great full backs we have had I think it's almost common that the right backs should have been something else, but for the lack of something obvious, where the left backs you can't really imagine them being any thing diffrent. Any coach worth their salt, can make right back out of someone in their squad. 
    Steve Gritt played RB in our first game back at the Valley, which rather proves your point!
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    Leuth said:
    Leuth said:
    Daft comment
    Miguel Llera away at Colchester hands down the worst I’ve seen
    Ahhhh memories,me n the wife's 3rd Anniversary with baby bumps 1st Charlton game (well I count it as...🤣😂) ,had a great day out in Colchester then the Zoo of course,posh hotel then sort of mentioned..."oh Charlton are playing up the road"...still married & littleun hooked with all things Cafc...👍,its ok I made up for it...we went NY on our 1st & 4th...so that game always geta brought up...😬🙄

oh n just to add,I was rubbing baby bump,apologising for me supporting Cafc & not Arsenal like (grandad mums side) & saying I wish in our lifetime we would get to watch cafc at Wembley together...& we did...☺️

Soz went on a little tangent there...😳😯
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Leuth said:
    Daft comment
    Miguel Llera away at Colchester hands down the worst I’ve seen
    Ahhhh memories,me n the wife's 3rd Anniversary with baby bumps 1st Charlton game (well I count it as...🤣😂) ,had a great day out in Colchester then the Zoo of course,posh hotel then sort of mentioned..."oh Charlton are playing up the road"...still married & littleun hooked with all things Cafc...👍,its ok I made up for it...we went NY on our 1st & 4th...so that game always geta brought up...😬🙄

oh n just to add,I was rubbing baby bump,apologising for me supporting Cafc & not Arsenal like (grandad mums side) & saying I wish in our lifetime we would get to watch cafc at Wembley together...& we did...☺️

Soz went on a little tangent there...😳😯
    D'you think there are enough emojis in your post?  
  • Options
    Question for the historians (I haven't a clue what the answer is). Who was the first player we signed on loan? 
  • Options
    Rudders22 said:
    Have they got 1 82yr okd processingvthese?

Ageist!   :s
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Question for the historians (I haven't a clue what the answer is). Who was the first player we signed on loan? 
    The first I remember was Steve Stacey from Ipswich 
  • Options
    lolwray said:

Good shout. Wiki says 1970. 

• Options
    I was obviously spoilt, I remember thinking Shaun Newton was shit. By comparison he was Salah. 
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    lolwray said:
    Good shout post second world war although loans actually go back to the late 1800's and were rife during the war years. In 1966, the Football League made what newspapers called a “most startling proposal” to allow the “temporary transfer of players” – with certain restrictions. Each club could make only two loan transfers per season, and transfer fees could not be paid. Loans had to last for at least three months, and they could only be made between clubs in different divisions.

As for the first Charlton player I'm going to pass but when his name is revealed I'll say 'Oh yeh I remember him' 
    ;) 
  • Options
    lolwray said:

Good shout. Wiki says 1970. 

Remember he scored a late equaliser v Huddersfield...Frank Worthington was playing for them I think 
  • Options
    RedChaser said:
    lolwray said:
    Good shout post second world war although loans actually go back to the late 1800's and were rife during the war years. In 1966, the Football League made what newspapers called a “most startling proposal” to allow the “temporary transfer of players” – with certain restrictions. Each club could make only two loan transfers per season, and transfer fees could not be paid. Loans had to last for at least three months, and they could only be made between clubs in different divisions.

As for the first Charlton player I'm going to pass but when his name is revealed I'll say 'Oh yeh I remember him'  ;) 

Well done mate, or did you Google it? 

• Options
    And on
  • Options
    RedChaser said:
    lolwray said:

As for the first Charlton player I'm going to pass but when his name is revealed I'll say 'Oh yeh I remember him'  ;) 

No ...but ask me what I had for breakfast or what colour socks I am wearing and I won t have a clue 
  • Options
    lolwray said:
    RedChaser said:
    lolwray said:

No ...but ask me what I had for breakfast or what colour socks I am wearing and I won t have a clue 

Blimey, can't see your feet. You sure you're wearing any?