Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer 2019 Transfer Rumours (ed. Pg 296 - Start of Deadline Day)

Comments

• edited August 2019
    If we sold Taylor for 4.5 m and signed Toney for 4.8m and got Hemed in.

How would people have honestly felt about that?
  • I love Taylor and think he's vital however, I think its massivly understimated how good Toney is, and is young.
  • Solly will still be LB cover (unless Page can keep himself fit for more than 2 games)
  • https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/49294621

There are other late deals which haven't been authorised yet, in this case Jefferson Montero
  • so when can we expect a answer one way or another on Hamed
  • If we sold Taylor for 4.5 m and signed Toney for 4.8m and got Hemed in.

On paper would have been good business. Stuff of dreams in football manager, but as we all know though that's not how it works. 

I reckon we will be kicking ourselves if Taylor doesn't sign an extension and leaves on a free, I'll say that much. Toney is a very decent forward and someone I've wanted us to get since he terrorised us for Scunthorpe
  • Don't worry  were get Toney in Jan when we sell Taylor. who looks like he's having a bit of a sulk about not going to Brentford.
  • edited August 2019
    If we sold Taylor for 4.5 m and signed Toney for 4.8m and got Hemed in.

On paper would have been good business. Stuff of dreams in football manager, but as we all know though that's not how it works. 

I reckon we will be kicking ourselves if Taylor doesn't sign an extension and leaves on a free, I'll say that much. Toney is a very decent forward and someone I've wanted us to get since he terrorised us for Scunthorpe
    Yes, I agree. Just after sleeping on it if he is not going to sign a new deal would make sense to sell now. I love Taylor as much as I did Yann however if I think about it logically If I was offered Toney and Taylor out (If he does not sign a new deal and walks for free) I 1000% would have taken it.

I heard we are going back in for Toney in Jan but then the same person told me that LB is confident we can offer Lyle a good deal. (same source who broke the news about Cullen and LB's contract) - What confuses me is how we are going to go back in for Toney if we won't be getting money for Taylor i.e where is it coming from? He also said If Peterborough accepted that offer Taylor was off. It was only if they accepted so where will the money come from in Jan?
  • Sponsored links:

True but we were better off last season keeping Bauer and Aribo and I reckon we will feel the same about Lyle if we survive and have been taken over, even if he leaves on a free .
  • Solly will still be LB cover (unless Page can keep himself fit for more than 2 games)
    God I hope not. Would rather Sarr cover there. 

On the other hand

Option 1 - Taylor stays and scores enough goals to keep us up before leaving on a free, or
    Option 2 - Taylor is sold at 4:58pm leaving us with no main centre forward, and we are 10 points adrift by January

Which option would you take? 
  • ... as someone once said a right back wont win you the league.
    But not having a right-back could get you relegated.
  • I've been a Pratley advocate of late and I'm a huge fan or Morgan and Lapslie but it looks like none of those will even make the bench tomorrow. Have to have a striker option on the bench. 

I don't reckon Aneke will start. Can aford to ease him back in now.
    I reckon Pratley will start and Morgan on the bench for when William (inevitably) fades. 

Agree Aneke should wait until Forest Green to return.
  • Leuth said:
    Solly covering at left-back last season was, I am sorry to say, one of the worst performances I've ever seen from a Charlton player, culminating in a ridiculous red-card tackle I think 
    Hopefully he'll get Morgan Fox type abuse when he plays. 
  • Leuth said:
    Solly covering at left-back last season was, I am sorry to say, one of the worst performances I've ever seen from a Charlton player, culminating in a ridiculous red-card tackle I think 
    Behave FFS!

• Good to see all the negative comments about Solly - set up nicely to be this season's scapegoat. 
    You have to play to be a scapegoat, so he won't be one.
  • edited August 2019
    wmcf123 said:

Agreed.  It’s clear that LB, who most of us seems to have absolute faith in, doesn’t think Solly can do a full season; it was probably evident that Dijksteel was going to go and yet he still played him against Blackburn. 
    The problem is not that he cannot do a full season, but that he cannot do a full match.
  • Sponsored links:

• Leuth said:
    Mind you, your mate was sent off in the first minute 
  • Leuth said:
    Why would he? All people are saying is Solly isn’t a midfielder. 
  • Sarr was sent off against Wimbledon and Pearce covered pretty well. I'm talking about the Oxford game where Solly passed it out of play about five times and then went in two-footed
  • edited August 2019
    Now Lyles head has been turned, I dont think you get that 110% commitment to the cause we used to get. He will still perform and put a shift in, but it wont be because hes doing it for the good of Charlton. 

I think he will be gone in Jan and hopefully we will get Toney to replace him, Id take that. 

No resentment to Lyle from me if he does go, anyone would change jobs if a better offer came in. Ill be saying thanks for the goals and good luck in the future!
  • Halix said:
    fenn3098 said:
    Don't worry  were get Toney in Jan when we sell Taylor. who looks like he's having a bit of a sulk about not going to Brentford.
    This must be the first instance ever that someone has had a sulk about not being allowed to go to Brentford.
    Remember that immediately before the Blackburn game, and then again when it was clear we would sell Dijksteel for peanuts, most of us (myself included) thought we were a basket case and relegation certs. Hard to blame Taylor for making an escape attempt in those circumstances.

But had he known then how well LB & SG would strengthen the squad, I wonder if he would have been so anxious to leave?
  • sam3110 said:
    Lol Solly as a midfielder? What next, shall we play him in goal? His lack of pace won't be shown up there at least! 
    Good to see all the negative comments about Solly - set up nicely to be this season's scapegoat. 
    how is it negative? Just stating he shouldn't be played out of position. Would I be slagging Phillips off if I suggested he isn't the man to solve our right-back problem?
  • Leuth said:
    Sarr was sent off against Wimbledon and Pearce covered pretty well. I'm talking about the Oxford game where Solly passed it out of play about five times and then went in two-footed
    To be fair to Solly, that was a last minute switch with Purrington ill rather than something that had been worked on the day before.