Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Summer 2019 Transfer Rumours (ed. Pg 296 - Start of Deadline Day)

Comments

• Options
    edited August 2019
    In a funny sort of way I could see Lyle now signing an improved contract with a minimum fee release clause.

He is nearly 30 and unproven above L1. He needs to preform if he wants a January move and if he does it might be to a bigger club than Brentford. 
  • Options
    sam3110 said:
    Lol Solly as a midfielder? What next, shall we play him in goal? His lack of pace won't be shown up there at least! 
    Good to see all the negative comments about Solly - set up nicely to be this season's scapegoat. 
    how is it negative? Just stating he shouldn't be played out of position. Would I be slagging Phillips off if I suggested he isn't the man to solve our right-back problem?
    He's getting a stream of criticism from some of our fans regardless of whether he's playing RB or out of position - I just feel there is a danger of it becoming OTT. 
  • Options
    sam3110 said:
    Lol Solly as a midfielder? What next, shall we play him in goal? His lack of pace won't be shown up there at least! 
    Good to see all the negative comments about Solly - set up nicely to be this season's scapegoat. 
    how is it negative? Just stating he shouldn't be played out of position. Would I be slagging Phillips off if I suggested he isn't the man to solve our right-back problem?
    He's getting a stream of criticism from some of our fans regardless of whether he's playing RB or out of position - I just feel there is a danger of it becoming OTT. 
    To an extend I agree, I’m one of those who doubt his value to the side. But your reply was to someone saying Solly shouldnt be playing in midfield, which is a very reasonable statement.

i think it’s fair to say we could do with a new right back whether Solly is good enough or not considering the one who started last week has left.  
  • Options
    Taxi_Lad said:
    He can’t play in goal, he’s only 5’3
    I wish Solly was only 5' 3 ?

Then when he was standing on the goal line at Millwall the ball wouldn't of hit him in the face after touching the side of his hands !
  • Options
    Where is everyone getting this evidence that Taylor is in any way pissed off about not going to Brentford? How does anyone know that he wanted to leave?
  • Options
    Where is everyone getting this evidence that Taylor is in any way pissed off about not going to Brentford? How does anyone know that he wanted to leave?
    it's the way I read it from Bowyer's press conference today 
  • Options
    Because LB made it clear in the press conference this morning.
  • Options

for Pelling1993 and others :

LB ''I took a step back when Brentford came in for Lyle. It's something you can't control. I respected that it was a move that could change his life''

LB ''He was disappointed that things didn't quite go a certain way, but he knew the situation that was going on and is ready to get his head down''

• Options

LB ''I took a step back when Brentford came in for Lyle. It's something you can't control. I respected that it was a move that could change his life''

LB ''He was disappointed that things didn't quite go a certain way, but he knew the situation that was going on and is ready to get his head down''

Ah ty I hadn't seen that! Bit of a shame, wouldn't have expected that from Taylor tbh
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited August 2019

CAFCTrev said:
    Now Lyles head has been turned, I dont think you get that 110% commitment to the cause we used to get. He will still perform and put a shift in, but it wont be because hes doing it for the good of Charlton. 

I think he will be gone in Jan and hopefully we will get Toney to replace him, Id take that. 

No resentment to Lyle from me if he does go, anyone would change jobs if a better offer came in. Ill be saying thanks for the goals and good luck in the future!
    I don't know about that. Every window Zaha is touted to other clubs, tells the club he would like to go, gets told to sit down and then returns to business as usual. It might be a bit different this time as he apparently lost his rag at a good bid being rejected and put in a transfer request, but previously he always dealt with the disappointment well. I don't think Lyle is capable of going on the pitch and not putting his foot in and causing chaos, it's just the footballer he is. I'm not too worried
  • Options
    CAFCTrev said:
    Now Lyles head has been turned, I dont think you get that 110% commitment to the cause we used to get. He will still perform and put a shift in, but it wont be because hes doing it for the good of Charlton. 

I think he will be gone in Jan and hopefully we will get Toney to replace him, Id take that. 

No resentment to Lyle from me if he does go, anyone would change jobs if a better offer came in. Ill be saying thanks for the goals and good luck in the future!
    I disagree with this for three reasons:

1) Lyle isn’t that sort of player and if anything plays better when he’s angry! Let’s hope he is!

2) if he still wants that big pay day he needs to prove he can cut it in the championship. His wage demands plummet if he doesn’t do well.

3) you can’t give more than 100%.
  • Options
    Says something about the current finances of football when a move from Charlton to Brentford can be life changing. 
  • Options

Bowyer's playing career gives him empathy with Taylor .... he'll understand how Taylor is feeling, the disappointment that the biggest contract offer of his career slipped away at the last minute.

But Taylor knows the Pro game; Bowyer evidently made it clear that Taylor was going nowhere, unless a replacement was signed first. 

As Bowyer always says, if it's something you can't control, you just have to carry on.

• Options
    Says something about the current finances of football when a move from Charlton to Brentford can be life changing. 
    Brentford have money and are building a brand new stadium ready to move into next season. I bet they offered more in wages than what he is earning at our place.
  • Options
    T_C_E said:
    Lyle said himself he doesn't follow football nor any team in particular, its what he does for a living and he has to maximise his potential in what time he has left as a footballer. While Lee and others have helped him grow into what he has become, he must look around him and say this owner is hardly rewarding players for their loyalty. Lee and his staff as well as the fans can tell him how much he wanted at the club until they are blue in the face, what is in his pay packet is just as important if not more so. I see it written that Jonny Williams is the type of player wanted at Charlton, Williams has been paid probably in excess 20/25k (a guess) for the last 3? years. Taylor has never had that and at almost 30 his chances are limited.
    Can you imagine not being that into football when you're as good as Lyle? 
  • Options
    Brentford have money and are building a brand new stadium ready to move into next season. I bet they offered more in wages than what he is earning at our place.
    Oh I agree but with respect I would consider a life changing move to be at least to the Premier League. 
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    T_C_E said:
    Lyle said himself he doesn't follow football nor any team in particular, its what he does for a living and he has to maximise his potential in what time he has left as a footballer. While Lee and others have helped him grow into what he has become, he must look around him and say this owner is hardly rewarding players for their loyalty. Lee and his staff as well as the fans can tell him how much he wanted at the club until they are blue in the face, what is in his pay packet is just as important if not more so. I see it written that Jonny Williams is the type of player wanted at Charlton, Williams has been paid probably in excess 20/25k (a guess) for the last 3? years. Taylor has never had that and at almost 30 his chances are limited.
    I believe he meant that he's not into the media circus thing, he doesn't follow other clubs and when he 'gets home from work' he likes to spend his time doing non-football related things.

He made no bones about it: football is his job.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    T_C_E said:
    Its something Ive learnt to live with  :smile:
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Oh I agree but with respect I would consider a life changing move to be at least to the Premier League. 
    Says more about the state of our club than it does anything else. 
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:

Bowyer's playing career gives him empathy with Taylor .... he'll understand how Taylor is feeling, the disappointment that the biggest contract offer of his career slipped away at the last minute.

When was that? I have forgotten.
  • Options
    T_C_E said:
    He seems to mock Spurs a bit on his social media......so I reckon he's a Dial Sq fan.
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    If we sold Taylor for 4.5 m and signed Toney for 4.8m and got Hemed in.

How would people have honestly felt about that?
    Hemmed in.
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    Oggy Red said:
    Halix said:
    fenn3098 said:
    Don't worry  were get Toney in Jan when we sell Taylor. who looks like he's having a bit of a sulk about not going to Brentford.
    This must be the first instance ever that someone has had a sulk about not being allowed to go to Brentford.

But had he known then how well LB & SG would strengthen the squad, I wonder if he would have been so anxious to leave?
    There's still a small question that Brentford could have tripled his salary.

At his age, it could have been Lyle's last chance to earn £1m over a 3 year contract.
    It sets him up for life.

You know, he's only human ...... if we'd been in his shoes, most of us would have wanted to go.
    He may see it as a lost opportunity - so close, but now gone.

Maybe a decent new contract at Charlton will go some way to making him feel better?
    I've belief in him that he'll put his disappointment behind him and let scoring goals prove his worth.

I agree, but some players want their cake and eat it (as do the clubs).
    He was happy enough to sign his existing contract, but then feels it unfair that he's expected to honour it.
    NB I'm not having a dig at Taylor because the majority of players and clubs want it both ways.
  • Options
    So if the Hemed deal has fallen through, we have one striker, one winger/forward, one attacking midfielder/forward and one forward who has said he's not good enough for The Championship.

I'm not complaining and I think LB & SG have done a remarkable job, but this season could still prove difficult and if Taylor is out injured or suspended, it will be doubly difficult.
  • Options
    If we sold Taylor for 4.5 m and signed Toney for 4.8m and got Hemed in.

How would people have honestly felt about that?
    Not a clue because that didn’t happen. :|
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    The bottom line with Lyle is you can understand at this stage in his career why he would want a massive pay rise if the opportunity arose, as it did. But he signed a two year deal with us and that has been working out pretty well for him and it is quite possible he wouldn't be offered a pay rise of that magnitude had he not joined us. Who knows but when you are under contract, you don't have the final word.

What I do know is that his opportunity for a big pay day has not gone and if he is going to get it, taking any percentages off his performance levels is not going to help him. There seemed to be a bit of desperation with Brentford, as to be fair, Taylor is 30 and unproven at this level. I think he will do well in the Championship, but for clubs to want him going forwards, he is going to have to show he is a good championship player so a sulk would do him actually no favours.

He has been so good for us, I hesitate to say it is possible to step up a gear. But I would have thought his motivation would be to try to do that rather than not do his best. At the stage he is at in his career it would be massive error to ease off and I believe him to be a very intelligent bloke who will realise that.

I think Taylor may think he has done his bit for us and we owe him. I suspect Bowyer had some sympathy for this, hence the attempts to get Toney. But what Bowyer can't do, and I'm sure Taylor will appreciate, is risk our season over this. Bowyer clearly tried to help him but it wasn't to be. If we could have got Toney, I'm sure Taylor would have been a Brentford palyer now. Hopefully we can offer him an improved deal, which he deserves and a buy out clause (£4m say). And hopefully he won't want to activate it come January.

If blame has to be passed out, why did Brentford not go about this sooner? 
  • Options
    So if the Hemed deal has fallen through, we have one striker, one winger/forward, one attacking midfielder/forward and one forward who has said he's not good enough for The Championship.

I'm not complaining and I think LB & SG have done a remarkable job, but this season could still prove difficult and if Taylor is out injured or suspended, it will be doubly difficult.
    Agreed. Midfield looks a lot better then expected but huge reliance on Taylor’s goals.