Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Chris Powell Sacked

Comments

• Options
    Good luck to the nicest man in football, I'm sure you'll get another job soon.
  • Options
    TelMc32 said:
    Really unfortunate with the injuries he's had there. I think he would have kept them up so it's an odd time to do it.
    A lot of panicking Chairmen with half the division in danger of relegation. Clearly they're hoping that the "new manager" bounce will get a couple of wins from somewhere

Read a piece in the Times yesterday which described how this is such a weird season in L1, with Saturday's game between 12th placed Plymouth and 13th placed Bristol Rovers being "mid-table relegation clash".  Plymouth being only 3 points above Walsall in 21st and Rovers who could have ended the day in the bottom 4.  This must be the biggest (number of teams) relegation battle ever and chairmen are all starting to panic. 

Huge shame for Chris and Damien and hope they bounce back soon.  
    Yes I read that as well. Referred to the top five in League One as the division's "giants" if I remember rightly.

As for Chris, sad but not really unexpected.

He's liked and respected in the football community so I'm sure he won' t be out of work long but, like many others, not sure if management is the right position for him
  • Options
    Reckon he's next job might be an assistant somewhere rather than the main man given his last two jobs haven't gone too well.
  • Options
    Reckon he's next job might be an assistant somewhere rather than the main man given his last two jobs haven't gone too well.
    Wasnt his last job as Assistant to Steve McClaren @ Derby?
  • Options
    Missed that FA!  Good point.

Think something like that again will be more likely than another top job.
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    ReeCAFC15 said:
    Feel sad for him but probably the right decision. Looked like they were only heading one direction with their recent form. Not sure how quickly he'll be back in a job, seems to be his second consecutive job where he has failed since leaving us..

Isnt that the norm though with how managers move around? Majority of managers getting new job is a result of them getting sacked from a previous job. 
  • Options
    Matt Murray was watching the game in the studio on Saturday and he actually said this sort of performance will get him the sack.
    According to the stats, Southend didn't manage a single shot on target.  Sadly, Powell oversaw similar performances in his last days with us.  Perhaps his background as a player means he sets up his teams too defensively.
  • Options
    I feel sad for Chris. He seemed to have such promise as a manager after what he did for us but since then he has been a bit of a flop. Difficult to understand really. I suppose all the stars were aligned when we won the L1 title in such impressive fashion. Support from the Board and support/love from the fans was the key. 

All the best Chris. Something will work out for you. 

• Options
    Sad to hear he's gone from Southend, but it felt inevitable.

Really hoping he can bounce back quickly.

Loved his time with us, and would welcome him back (in whatever capacity), but have faith that SCP will get back to work towards season's end/Summer.

I think people forget how decent a job he did at Huddersfield on limited resources, given the chance to mould a team before next season starts he will come good again.
    i think thats very important for him, the team needs to be HIS team. 

He doesnt necessarily need money to throw at it but has to have a say on all comings and goings  
    I'm not sure you'll get that luxury at many clubs really. The reality is that the previous bloke get the sack, and you have to do better with those players, akin to Bowyer doing better with Robinson's team. IF you make an instant impact then you may get the chance to mould the side, but few last long enough

Powell's time with us was unusual, helped by having new owners and him being a club legend.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Sad to hear this. Chissy Powell is one of the good guys in football.  I hope he finds another position soon.  I'm sure someone will snap him up.

• Options
    Bradford, Wimbledon, Southend and Accrington would be good to go down.

Accrington were a disgrace at our place, nobody sacks SCP and improves, Bradford are where they are and Wimbledon are obnoxious too these days.
  • Options
    cafctom said:
    ReeCAFC15 said:
    Feel sad for him but probably the right decision. Looked like they were only heading one direction with their recent form. Not sure how quickly he'll be back in a job, seems to be his second consecutive job where he has failed since leaving us..

Isnt that the norm though with how managers move around? Majority of managers getting new job is a result of them getting sacked from a previous job. 
    Yes but he didn't have much success at Hudersfield or Southend before being sacked. Guided Hudderfield to 16th and then was sacked the following season with them 18th. His first half a season with Southend went well taking them from 18th to 10th but massively under performed this season being in the relegation zone with a team that really should be comfortably in mid table, maybe even pushing for playoffs with the likes of Fleetwood. Not great stats at all. 
  • Options
    Really unfortunate with the injuries he's had there. I think he would have kept them up so it's an odd time to do it.
    Has Powell's injury problems been as bad, or worse, than Bowyer's at Charlton? I doubt it. It's all about coaching, and this shows what a brilliant job Bow has done at Charlton.
  • Options
    How many black managers are there in the top 4 divisions? The only one I can think of is Chris Hughton. Pretty appalling really.
  • Options
    How many black managers are there in the top 4 divisions? The only one I can think of is Chris Hughton. Pretty appalling really.
    Sol Campbell as well.

Do you honestly believe black managers are not getting jobs due to their colour??

How many foreign or BAME owners are there in the game why would they care about the race of a manager.

Is it just that not enough BAME managers are experienced or qualified to get jobs(are they even going for them)
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    How can you forget about the greatest manager of all time and nearly London Mayor candidate. Sol 'everyone's out to get me' Campbell
  • Options
    Don't think Powell was sacked because of his colour.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Some patronising comments about Chris Powell on here but not totally unexpected.
  • Options
    winning the league is something that he will never be forgotten for but in the season in which he departed us we were not great. 
  • Options
    Disappointed for Powell, but a touch of inevitability about it.

Stand-by for John Barnes' response, blaming everyone else. He was on LBC this morning, supposedly to comment on the racist abuse in Montenegro last night. Apparently we are all 'blonde haired, blue eyed, white tribe members" who all have an unconscious bias within us that inherently links to a level of racist views! (For balance, he said 'all' of us possess such, irrespective of colour, creed etc).

He cited Darren Moore getting sacked at WBA even though he was on to talk about Montenegro last night! 
  • Options
    Sol Campbell as well.

Do you honestly believe black managers are not getting jobs due to their colour??

Yes, in some cases

How many foreign or BAME owners are there in the game why would they care about the race of a manager.

So foreigners can't be racist? See Montenegro thread.

Is it just that not enough BAME managers are experienced or qualified to get jobs(are they even going for them)

No, it's not. Lots of qualified black coaches and the with as much experience as many first time white managers.  Are they going for the jobs or are they not even considered?

Gawd, these excuses were tired a decade ago.

• Options
    Sol Campbell as well.

You'd have to be pretty naive to think racism isn't an issue and presumably white as the issue doesn't affect you. The game is riddled with racism - if you listen to black players, coaches etc you'd soon hear all the barriers they have had to put up with.

If debates about racism are the domain of those not affected by it then change won't happen very quickly. We can either face up to the problem or pretend that it doesn't exist and that black players, coaches etc are making it up.

I've endured watching pitiful racism in English football since I started attending games in the 1970s. Things have got better but racist attitudes are still there.
  • Options
    Sol Campbell as well.

You'd have to be pretty naive to think racism isn't an issue and presumably white as the issue doesn't affect you. The game is riddled with racism - if you listen to black players, coaches etc you'd soon hear all the barriers they have had to put up with.

If debates about racism are the domain of those not affected by it then change won't happen very quickly. We can either face up to the problem or pretend that it doesn't exist and that black players, coaches etc are making it up.

I've endured watching pitiful racism in English football since I started attending games in the 1970s. Things have got better but racist attitudes are still there.
    White people, who as you put it aren’t affected by this apparent problem, are allowed to have their say on such issues, the argument that you don’t know cos you’re not that colour is pretty naive I’d say, albeit a fashionable one.
  • Options
    addick05 said:
    Honestly don't believe SCP was sacked because of his colour! Let's stick  to the script please. He lost his job because, like so many others, he couldn't get the results....simples. He is a top guy and I'm sure he won't be out of the game for long.
    Don't doubt that at all.
  • Options
    Sol Campbell as well.

White people, who as you put it aren’t affected by this apparent problem, are allowed to have their say on such issues, the argument that you don’t know cos you’re not that colour is pretty naive I’d say, albeit a fashionable one.
    It's pretty stupid when people not affected by an issue are put in charge of policies designed to address it. If I want to understand how racism affects black players, coaches etc I'd assume they would be the best informed or alternatively I could just ignore them? Maybe white people understand the effects of racism better?

Maybe it's an 'apparent' problem as you say and it doesn't exist. Perhaps all the claims about racism ar the Montenegro were made up as well?

• Options
    edited March 2019
    Sol Campbell as well.

It's pretty stupid when people not affected by an issue are put in charge of policies designed to address it. If I want to understand how racism affects black players, coaches etc I'd assume they would be the best informed or alternatively I could just ignore them? Maybe white people understand the effects of racism better?

Maybe it's an 'apparent' problem as you say and it doesn't exist. Perhaps all the claims about racism ar the Montenegro were made up as well?

Maybe you go through subjects quicker than mastermind, we are talking about managers in football and that “apparent” problem, yes it is apparent because some people like to debate the issue rather than head nodding.