Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Chris Powell Sacked

Comments

• Options
    Sad, but Southend are right in it so not a great surprise. 
  • Options
    How many black managers are there in the top 4 divisions? The only one I can think of is Chris Hughton. Pretty appalling really.
    Sol Campbell as well.

Do you honestly believe black managers are not getting jobs due to their colour??

How many foreign or BAME owners are there in the game why would they care about the race of a manager.

Is it just that not enough BAME managers are experienced or qualified to get jobs(are they even going for them)
    You'd have to be pretty naive to think racism isn't an issue and presumably white as the issue doesn't affect you. The game is riddled with racism - if you listen to black players, coaches etc you'd soon hear all the barriers they have had to put up with.

If debates about racism are the domain of those not affected by it then change won't happen very quickly. We can either face up to the problem or pretend that it doesn't exist and that black players, coaches etc are making it up.

I've endured watching pitiful racism in English football since I started attending games in the 1970s. Things have got better but racist attitudes are still there.
    White people, who as you put it aren’t affected by this apparent problem, are allowed to have their say on such issues, the argument that you don’t know cos you’re not that colour is pretty naive I’d say, albeit a fashionable one.
    It's pretty stupid when people not affected by an issue are put in charge of policies designed to address it. If I want to understand how racism affects black players, coaches etc I'd assume they would be the best informed or alternatively I could just ignore them? Maybe white people understand the effects of racism better?

Maybe it's an 'apparent' problem as you say and it doesn't exist. Perhaps all the claims about racism ar the Montenegro were made up as well?

Maybe you go through subjects quicker than mastermind, we are talking about managers in football and that “apparent” problem, yes it is apparent because some people like to debate the issue rather than head nodding.
    No idea what point you're trying to make here. I hope you have a good day.
  • Options
    How many black managers are there in the top 4 divisions? The only one I can think of is Chris Hughton. Pretty appalling really.
    Sol Campbell as well.

Do you honestly believe black managers are not getting jobs due to their colour??

How many foreign or BAME owners are there in the game why would they care about the race of a manager.

Is it just that not enough BAME managers are experienced or qualified to get jobs(are they even going for them)
    You'd have to be pretty naive to think racism isn't an issue and presumably white as the issue doesn't affect you. The game is riddled with racism - if you listen to black players, coaches etc you'd soon hear all the barriers they have had to put up with.

If debates about racism are the domain of those not affected by it then change won't happen very quickly. We can either face up to the problem or pretend that it doesn't exist and that black players, coaches etc are making it up.

I've endured watching pitiful racism in English football since I started attending games in the 1970s. Things have got better but racist attitudes are still there.
    White people, who as you put it aren’t affected by this apparent problem, are allowed to have their say on such issues, the argument that you don’t know cos you’re not that colour is pretty naive I’d say, albeit a fashionable one.
    It's pretty stupid when people not affected by an issue are put in charge of policies designed to address it. If I want to understand how racism affects black players, coaches etc I'd assume they would be the best informed or alternatively I could just ignore them? Maybe white people understand the effects of racism better?

Maybe it's an 'apparent' problem as you say and it doesn't exist. Perhaps all the claims about racism ar the Montenegro were made up as well?

Maybe you go through subjects quicker than mastermind, we are talking about managers in football and that “apparent” problem, yes it is apparent because some people like to debate the issue rather than head nodding.
    Some people agree that there’s a problem with the lack of BAME managers in football.
    Some don’t.

Enjoy your evening.
  • Options
    Sol Campbell as well.

I don't know why you're making assumptions about what I wrote or why other posters are so het up by the observation. It's striking that 5 years on from SCP managing us that there are even fewer black managers currently employed than there were back then.  Whatever the reasons for the current situation are it doesn't look good.
  • Options
    Sol Campbell as well.

Some people agree that there’s a problem with the lack of BAME managers in football.
    Some don’t.

Enjoy your evening.
    Some people don't think there's a general problem with racism in football.

Some do.

We're all different. Funny old world isn't it.
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    It is clear Powell didn't lose his job because of his colour. No wins in eleven and flirting with relegation did that. But if you look at the pool of past players, there should be more black managers in the game. I don't know if that reason is an overtly racial one or that less black players took their badges at the time current managers did. If the answer is around the badges, the question is why? There could still be racism of some description at work, but it is important to understand the reason if you are going to take steps to resolve it.

Is surprises me that these simple stats are not provided to us to help everybody understand the root of the problem. 
  • Options
    Managers need a lot of skill and even more luck to succeed. Chris is a good manager, excellent for us until he ran into Duchatelet. His luck was in getting Yann in on a free and also nabbing Bradley Wright Phillips so he had a very good attack for div 1. Plus of course we all love him, which helps. At Southend the injuries have been truly dire, so he was very out of luck. Then 80% of the fans were on his back so he had no chance really. Love him. He'll come good again.
  • Options
    Hope Southend get relegated, it is so tight down the bottom and clubs should have more faith and patience with there managers
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited March 2019
    I looked up Chris’ managerial record and was a little caught off guard.

I know he is well-loved but he has just a mundane 37.28% career win percentage. Take away the one season of 101 points and it drops to surprising 31.95% career win percentage. 

Karl Robinson’s career win percentage is 40.5%.

Huddersfield did a lot better after he left and Southend got worse once he arrived.

Hate to be devil’s advocate, but is it possible he just had one lucky year with us and in reality is a sub-par manager? (Hiding now 🙈)
  • Options
    ^ he had two good years with us.

101 points to win league One then 9th on a nothing budget in first year of Championship.

shame for him at Southend, hope he gets another chance somewhere.  I suspect he had an ok budget with us in L1 which he outperformed.  With a lower budget then like most he needs time and luck to be on his side.
    Thanks! He was before my time so I only hear things in retrospect.

I’ve tried to find a video of the promotion season on YouTube that highlights the season but have been unable for some time. Anyone have a link to something like that?
  • Options
    It'll be interesting who Southend go for, with Scunthorpe also after a new boss

Steve Evans, Paul Hurst, Kevin Nolan are available
  • Options
    Chris Powell is a better manager now then back in 2012. Sounds a rediculous thing to say...I know.

The reason being is that he is much more experienced. You have to lose and take a lot of pain in order to learn from it.

Losing and getting sacked is inevitable for every football manager of this day and age.

It is about how you react. What you take away from it.

Football management is a constant learning curve...and he is still relatively one of the younger managers in comparison to most of them.

He is probably quite understandably down in the dumps at the moment.

We know what he's made of though.

His next job is very very important.

I personally believe he would be fantastic at coaching Englands youngsters.

Chris Powell would make a brilliant youth coach. Might not be want he wants.

Sometimes though, you need to play to your strengths. 
  • Options
    Tin pot clubs loss will be another clubs gain. He will be in work soon. So hoping he finds his way home. Bugger off Roland you're getting in his way!
  • Options
    Given his skills in transfers and his ability to cultivate talent, I wonder if his natural position might be more of a Director of Football? He seems to think long-term, which is rare for a manager.
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    The problem with associating Powells loss of managerial role at Southend with race is that it undermines legitimate concerns about racism in the game.

Neither Darren Moore or Chris Powell have lost their jobs due to race, although Moore has a stronger case, but getting a decent new role may be restricted by race!
  • Options
    Really unfortunate with the injuries he's had there. I think he would have kept them up so it's an odd time to do it.
    Has Powell's injury problems been as bad, or worse, than Bowyer's at Charlton? I doubt it. It's all about coaching, and this shows what a brilliant job Bow has done at Charlton.
    Ridiculous comment. Although we rightly complain about LB's budget for the size of club we are, he has far more resources at his disposal than Powell. They couldn't attract the likes of Taylor, Cullen or Bielik and don't have the academy to produce the likes of Aribo, Phillips, Grant and Lapslie. 
  • Options
    Disappointed for Powell, but a touch of inevitability about it.

Stand-by for John Barnes' response, blaming everyone else. He was on LBC this morning, supposedly to comment on the racist abuse in Montenegro last night. Apparently we are all 'blonde haired, blue eyed, white tribe members" who all have an unconscious bias within us that inherently links to a level of racist views! (For balance, he said 'all' of us possess such, irrespective of colour, creed etc).

He cited Darren Moore getting sacked at WBA even though he was on to talk about Montenegro last night! 
    I think he's right about unconcious bias and brave to say so.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I looked up Chris’ managerial record and was a little caught off guard.

I know he is well-loved but he has just a mundane 37.28% career win percentage. Take away the one season of 101 points and it drops to surprising 31.95% career win percentage. 

Karl Robinson’s career win percentage is 40.5%.

Huddersfield did a lot better after he left and Southend got worse once he arrived.

Didn’t Southend win their first four or five matches with Chris in charge?
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    winning the league is something that he will never be forgotten for but in the season in which he departed us we were not great. 
    Unsurprisingly given that the board further weakened the squad in the summer of 2013 and he was forced to sign the likes of Simon Church - meaning no particular disrespect to him, but he wasn’t an upgrade.

With the club in turmoil internally for the whole of the previous year and the spivs desperate to unload it, the manager was inevitably undermined. CP was very close to PV and to a lesser extent SK - once they left in 2012 he was very exposed. 
  • Options
    That might end up being his last job in management, might get a League One gig at the likes of Gillingham but no guarantees.

The reality is that Powell, as much as most of us love him, is basically following the same career trajectory as most managers: Downwards and then out of the game.
  • Options
    That might end up being his last job in management, might get a League One gig at the likes of Gillingham but no guarantees.

The reality is that Powell, as much as most of us love him, is basically following the same career trajectory as most managers: Downwards and then out of the game.
    Surely he's much better than that?
  • Options

Surely he's much better than that?
    Don’t think so and the stats don’t make good reading. Personally think if Powell was in charge with this same team that Bowyer has then we wouldn’t be near the play offs. 
  • Options
    As people have said maybe an assistant manager role would be better for him ....Chris is a great bloke a really nice bloke and therein possibly lies the problem ...he may lack that bit of nastiness that is required as a manager 
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    He was the right manager for us and until the rug was pulled from him, we were heading upwards. We can all have views on his management, and that is all they can be as we are not qualified to judge. To me, transforming the squad with not a great deal of money was a fantastic and even an incredible achievement. 

The downside was that given we missed out on the play offs by three points, it is possible to look back at some games and be frustrated that we lost points by being to cautious. I think Powell was too cautious when we took a lead and we threw away too many points because of this. The other thing I noticed, and this is only my opinion, but I think he waited too long to change things.

When things are not going your way in a game, it isn't always obvious what you can do to change it. My view is that you have to change it anyway as you tend to when your opponents score whether you know what to do or not. If it looks like they are going to score at some point, why wait for it to happen? I think Powell is a manager who waits for it to happen by instinct.

It isn't in my view about managerial ability/knowledge but about personality. I have always believed that if he fought against his natural urges to be safe, he would become a top manager. And I still do to be honest.