Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Bolton, Ebbsfleet now Bury (Clubs in trouble thread)

Comments

• Options

From the BBC:

Macclesfield Town Football Club has been wound up in the High Court over debts totalling more than £500,000.

Judge Sebastian Prentis made a winding-up order during a hearing in the Insolvency and Companies Court after being told £190,000 was owed in tax.

In addition, a solicitor for former manager John Askey was told he was owed £173,000 and a financial lender was also owed the same sum.

The club's owner Amar Alkadhi had asked for a further eight-week adjournment.

More to follow.

• Options

Very sad
  • Options
    Rothko said:
    Football League have thrown the National League under the bus with this one
    Guess thats why they relegated them!!
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    Does seem to be a common theme that these clubs are in the Greater Manchester area; Bury, Maccesfield, Oldham, Wigan Droylsden. Not sure whether that it is do with the rise of Manchester City or other factors. 

Feel for the supporters as the thought of that happening to Charlton was bad enough.
  • Options
    If the company is wound up by the courts then that's it, it's gone.
    What the FA might do about the golden share/club history is anybody's guess.
    If somebody wants to form and fund an "AFC Macclesfield" they might have to start at county league level.

Maidstone United went bust in 1992 (effectively taking landlords Dartford with them), technically they resigned from the league just before the company was liquidated.  A new adult team was built from the ashes of the old Maidstone United around a youth league side, Maidstone Invicta, joining Kent County league's lower reaches in 1993, changed its name to Maidstone United in 1995.  This is the side currently in the National League.

The fans of Dartford FC kept a youth team going from the financial debacle of 1992, which enabled DFC to retain both its Senior status and Full Membership of the FA.  An adult side then joined the Kent League, ground sharing with Cray Wanderers and rose through the ranks, returning to Dartford and its own ground to be the club in National South today.

If some Macc lads can keep a FA registered youth team going this season, then MT might be able to follow the Darts or stones route.
    National League 20/21 will inevitably be a 23 team division.

The FA don't seem to be too choosy about financial shadiness at that level, the team playing as FC Halifax Town has gone bust and reconfigured under slightly different names e.g. Halifax Town AFC a couple of times this century already.
  • Options

From the BBC:

Macclesfield Town Football Club has been wound up in the High Court over debts totalling more than £500,000.

Judge Sebastian Prentis made a winding-up order during a hearing in the Insolvency and Companies Court after being told £190,000 was owed in tax.

In addition, a solicitor for former manager John Askey was told he was owed £173,000 and a financial lender was also owed the same sum.

The club's owner Amar Alkadhi had asked for a further eight-week adjournment.

More to follow.

So a long standing English club will disappear from existence for the amount of money a useless fucker like Benteke earns in a month. Or what Ozil is paid every 10 days to sit on his arse.

Yes you can (rightly) argue that it's Macclesfield's fault for over spending but i fear they won't be the last club. English football is struggling to sustain 92 full time professional clubs as things currently stand, so something has to change. Either more money filters down from the Premier league (which is unlikely) or a lot of clubs in League 2 will probably end up having to go part time.
  • Options
    Rothko said:
    Football League have thrown the National League under the bus with this one

• Options
    I agree but they're not part of the 92 anymore

Compare the EFL's urgency to relegate them compared with Sheffield Wednesday.

Now we see why. Dumped the problem on the National League
    Dump the "problem" club, keep Stevenage
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I’m surprised more isn’t being made of this in the news. Maybe it’s because Macclesfield are no longer part of the 92, whereas Bury were a League 1/League 2 club.

Either way, it’s disgusting that it’s happened and you have to feel for those supporters who’ve just lost a big part of their lives through no fault of their own.

A fraction of the parachute payments that didn’t need to be paid to Fulham/WBA could help saving English clubs in situations like this.

When the Premier League is sitting on as much money as it is, they surely have some sort of duty to ensure the English game is protected?

Legally, maybe they don’t - but morally......Well, we know how bankrupt they and the EFL are in that regard. 

It actually makes me furious.
  • Options
    Was watching the report on Sky Sports News, the potential owner Joe Sealey said that he was interested in buying the club and said that half a million for a club that size wasn't a bad price.

But what is in the incentive to take over a club like Macclesfield? Small fan base with not much room for growth, don't see how you could make a return on your investment
  • Options
    I agree but they're not part of the 92 anymore

Compare the EFL's urgency to relegate them compared with Sheffield Wednesday.

Now we see why. Dumped the problem on the National League
    They had more than one drink in last chance saloon after last orders, what should the EFL have done (that they could have done)?
  • Options
    Phoenix club: Macclesfield FC has been formed by a local Businessman with Robbie Savage as part of the Directors
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Not one of the clubs in the title but still (mostly) good news:
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/54718151

Southend United pay up £493,991 tax bill as winding-up petition dismissed

Had to sell the ground to do it but saves them from outright extinction at least.

• Options
    thenewbie said:

Had to sell the ground to do it but saves them from outright extinction at least.

Not sure there’s too much good news in that. They’ve been waiting for the new ground for donkeys years and I can’t see it being built if they end up relegated at the end of the season. It’s not as if there’s a decent sized club they could ground share with anywhere near by. 
  • Options
    Looks like the new stadium is well advanced now, with building to commence next year. I doubt relegation would stop it  but ongoing covid crowd restrictions will no doubt impact (relevant parts) of the business case!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-essex-52152238

• Options
    Looks like the new stadium is well advanced now, with building to commence next year. I doubt relegation would stop it  but ongoing covid crowd restrictions will no doubt impact (relevant parts) of the business case!

Hopefully they’ll be ok but I would’ve thought the chances of building a 20,000 seater stadium for a potentially non league side is pretty remote. More houses and less seats I guess if it still goes ahead.
  • Options
    SID said:
    thenewbie said:

Not sure there’s too much good news in that. They’ve been waiting for the new ground for donkeys years and I can’t see it being built if they end up relegated at the end of the season. It’s not as if there’s a decent sized club they could ground share with anywhere near by. 
    True, but if they'd been wound up they would lose the ground anyway and more besides. It's certainly not ideal but it seems as good as it can be - as little as that may be.
  • Options
    SID said:

Hopefully they’ll be ok but I would’ve thought the chances of building a 20,000 seater stadium for a potentially non league side is pretty remote. More houses and less seats I guess if it still goes ahead.
    Agreed. I hadn't noticed how big a stadium they had proposed. Also a retail park as part of it. Can't see it happening unless scaled back considerably.
  • Options
    MattF said:
    Jordan did the same with the Palace badge.

And then borrowed money on the fact he owned the trademark.
  • Options

Macclesfield FC will start the 2021-22 season in the North West Counties Premier Division, the fifth step of non-league football.

The original Macclesfield Town were wound up by the High Court in September 2020.

Local businessman Robert Smethurst purchased the assets the following month. with ex-Wales international Robbie Savage joining the board and Danny Whitaker taking over as manager.

They then rebranded as Macclesfield FC.

Macclesfield said they were "delighted" at being placed in that division with the season starting on 31 July.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/57163012

• Options
    clive said:

Macclesfield FC will start the 2021-22 season in the North West Counties Premier Division, the fifth step of non-league football.

The original Macclesfield Town were wound up by the High Court in September 2020.

Local businessman Robert Smethurst purchased the assets the following month. with ex-Wales international Robbie Savage joining the board and Danny Whitaker taking over as manager.

They then rebranded as Macclesfield FC.

Macclesfield said they were "delighted" at being placed in that division with the season starting on 31 July.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/57163012

League above Bury AFC for some reason...

Unless of course one of the Premier Division teams have been forced to resign