Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Football facts that don't sound true (but are)

Comments

• Options
    Man United have become the first team in the Premier League to win 4 games in a row by 3+ goals.
  • Options
    Man United have become the first team in the Premier League to win 4 games in a row by 3+ goals.
    Last time Villa beat United at Villa Park Alan Hanson ripped into Fergie on that nights MotD with the immortal "you can't win anything with kids" line.  United won the double that year. 
  • Options
    Crazy how much difference Bruno Fernandes seems to have made.  They should have signed him last summer. 
  • Options
    Crazy how much difference Bruno Fernandes seems to have made.  They should have signed him last summer. 
    The emergence of Greenwood and the resurgence of Martial and Pogba cannot be swept under the carpet though, Bruno has made an impact but it's coincided with a few things at ManUre
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    Probably does sound true as its us but...

Charlton have only had four Managers that have won us promotion yet never played for us (McFarlane | Seed | Nelson | Lawrence)
    Charlton have had four Managers that have won us promotion who did play for the club (Bailey | Curbishley | Powell | Bowyer)
  • Options
    Stig said:
    Brentford's Saïd Benrahma is the top scorer at the KCOM Stadium this season. He's scored a hat-trick there. No Hull player has scored more than two. 
    I believe thats in 2020.

Still a crazy stat but Bowen scored a few at the KCOM before he left in Jan
  • Options
    I don’t know if this would be unique, but it occurred to me after watching the 2 fa cup semifinals:
    If David Luiz and Olivier Giroud both play in the final, they will have both played in two FA cup finals between the same two teams, but having swapped sides.
    (Arsenal beat Chelsea 2-1 in the 2017 final - Luiz started for Chelsea, Giroud came on near the end for Arsenal)
  • Options
    Incidentally, having looked it up I noticed that Petr Cech was on the bench for Arsenal and Cesc Fabregas played for Chelsea that day - but they hadn’t played in an Arsenal v Chelsea FA cup final before!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    What about Ashley Cole for Chelsea and that Defensive Midfielder that left Chelsea for Arsenal, played for Real Madrid too, cant remember his name but had a really big head
  • Options
    What about Ashley Cole for Chelsea and that Defensive Midfielder that left Chelsea for Arsenal, played for Real Madrid too, cant remember his name but had a really big head
    Or Cole and Gallas given they swapped. 
  • Options
    Or Cole and Gallas given they swapped. 
    Played against each other for Arsenal and Chelsea respectively in the 2002 final

Neither were there for the 2017 one
  • Options
    Lassana Diarra was the player I was thinking of, won the FA Cup with Chelsea but was over Man Utd
  • Options
    No English manager has ever won the premier league.
    Who was the last English manager to win anything? 

McClaren with Boro?
    FA Cup: Harry Redknapp (2008) - Portsmouth
    League Cup: Steve McClaren (2004) - Middlesbrough
    League: Howard Wilkinson (1992) - Leeds United

UEFA Cup: Peter Shreeves (1984) - Tottenham Hotspur
    European Cup: Joe Fagan (1984) - Liverpool

Championship hasnt even been won by an Englishman since 2016 (Sean Dyche with Burnley)
    Lampard could change this one with the FA Cup. 
  • Options

McClaren with Boro?

Championship hasnt even been won by an Englishman since 2016 (Sean Dyche with Burnley)
    Bowyer will change the last one with Charlton next year...
  • Options
    Roland passed the EFL fit and proper owner test.
    In hindsight, things got a lot worse with the EFL....
  • Options
    edited July 2020

McClaren with Boro?

And Peter Shreeves is Welsh!!

And he wasn't spurs manager when they won it, but other than that......  
  • Options
    I don’t know if this would be unique, but it occurred to me after watching the 2 fa cup semifinals:
    If David Luiz and Olivier Giroud both play in the final, they will have both played in two FA cup finals between the same two teams, but having swapped sides.
    (Arsenal beat Chelsea 2-1 in the 2017 final - Luiz started for Chelsea, Giroud came on near the end for Arsenal)
    Well, they both play today. Still don’t know if they’re the only players to do this.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Well, they both play today. Still don’t know if they’re the only players to do this.
    it's happened twice before

'In FA Cup Final history, there have been two players play for both clubs in a specific final fixture – Francis Birley played for Oxford University against Wanderers in 1873, and vice versa in 1877, while Jack Reynolds played for both Aston Villa and West Bromwich Albion in the 1890s. Both Chelsea’s Olivier Giroud and Arsenal’s David Luiz could achieve this, having played for their opponents in the 2017 Final.'

http://www.thefa.com/news/2020/jul/30/heads-up-fa-cup-final-opta-stats-300720
  • Options
    rina said:

'In FA Cup Final history, there have been two players play for both clubs in a specific final fixture – Francis Birley played for Oxford University against Wanderers in 1873, and vice versa in 1877, while Jack Reynolds played for both Aston Villa and West Bromwich Albion in the 1890s. Both Chelsea’s Olivier Giroud and Arsenal’s David Luiz could achieve this, having played for their opponents in the 2017 Final.'

Thanks @rina
    Good knowledge!
  • Options
    rina said:

Thanks @rina
    Good knowledge!
    they were talking about it just before kick off so I knew what to google
  • Options
    Divisions 2 to 4 inclusive of the English professional game, currently styled "The Championship" and Leagues 1 & 2 have a ruling body, which is detailed with upholding the laws and regulations of the competition and the integrity of the game as a whole.  That ruling body is called the English Football League - EFL for short.  True apparently, who knew?
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    All 3 senior goalkeepers in Ross County's squad this season are called Ross.
    They also have a Midfielder and a Forward called Ross
  • Options
    Charlton Athletic have an ex player who went onto manage England. 
  • Options
    The highest attendance for a match at Old Trafford was for Grimsby v Wolves.
    The highest attendance ever in the Fourth Division was for Palace v Millwall (just over 50000).