Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Football facts that don't sound true (but are)

Comments

• Options
    ross1 said:
    I saw a Charlton game at the Valley once, where we were losing 5-1, against a team managed by the great Bill Shankley and down to 10 men, but we won 7-6. Hard to believe  :)
    This is what people kept telling Victor Meldrew.
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    seth plum said:
    The ball burst in the 1946 final involving Charlton, and it burst in a league match Charlton played a week later, and in the 1947 cup final too.
    And in the 1998 Play-off final
    Never knew that one...
    That's not true.
  • Options
    The highest attendance for a match at Old Trafford was for Grimsby v Wolves.
    The highest attendance ever in the Fourth Division was for Palace v Millwall (just over 50000).
    The Palace v Millwall bit is quite believable but the over 50k is a big exaggeration. 37,774.
  • Options
    In 2013 Juan Mata and Fernando Torres were holders of all 4 continental trophies - Champions league, Europa League, World Cup, and Euros.
    How can someone be the holder of both the Champions League and Europa League at the same time? It's not possible.
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    In 2013 Juan Mata and Fernando Torres were holders of all 4 continental trophies - Champions league, Europa League, World Cup, and Euros.
    How can someone be the holder of both the Champions League and Europa League at the same time? It's not possible.
    2010 - World Cup
    19th May 2012 - Champions League Final
    2012 - European Championships
    15th May 2013 - Europa League Final

25th May 2013 - Dortmund v Bayern Munich

So by the time Chelsea won the Europa League they were still holders of the Champions League as that Final hadnt yet been played
  • Options
    Todays game will be the 4,000 in a row that Manchester United have had an academy player in their team and the run dates back to October 1937
    Does anyone have an idea at how far back it goes for us?
    Not the question you asked as I believe the United stat includes players on the bench but...

You can thank my oldest son for that.

He was born on 26/04/08.
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    I'm talking about it too much but it fascinates me too much

Games can only be held on Saturday 29th February once every 28-years
    Not quite true.  Because 1900 wasn't a leap year, there would have been a gap longer than 28 years before the days of the week and dates matched up again.  I haven't looked up what the effect was, but it would have meant either less or more than 28 years between such Saturdays.  The same will happen with 2100, 2200 and 2300 not being leap years but we won't be around.  Indeed, the way things are going, the human race may not be around.
    Errrrr ....I think you mean that 2100, 2200 etc will be leap years but the 29th February won't necessarily be a Saturday.

Edit: I was wrong. 2100, 2200 , 2300 won't be leap years but then 2400 will be
  • Options
    Stig said:
    The highest attendance ever in the Fourth Division was for Palace v Millwall (just over 50000).
    The Palace v Millwall bit is quite believable but the over 50k is a big exaggeration. 37,774.
    Sorry. Just checked. You're right. It was in 60/61. Millwall won 2-0. Palace also had the highest average attendance for the fourth division that year: 19,020.

Sorry to big up Palace. There were permanently shit before the 60s though.
  • Options
    And in our eyes shit ever since. 
  • Options
    Stig said:
    Sorry. Just checked. You're right. It was in 60/61. Millwall won 2-0. Palace also had the highest average attendance for the fourth division that year: 19,020.

They will always be shit - however good they are, they are shit - ground, ultras, general fakeness - just shit. They are only good at acne and virginity.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    2010 - World Cup

So by the time Chelsea won the Europa League they were still holders of the Champions League as that Final hadnt yet been played
    That's splitting hairs. On that vein we could quite reasonably assume also that UEFA would have already have taken back the European Cup by the time they won the Europa Cup.
    So I still think your statement is incorrect even if it sounds nice.
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    2010 - World Cup

That's splitting hairs. On that vein we could quite reasonably assume also that UEFA would have already have taken back the European Cup by the time they won the Europa Cup.
    So I still think your statement is incorrect even if it sounds nice.
    I didnt come out the with statement Im just saying how it could have been worked - Until there is another winner though, the previous team remain defending champions 
  • Options
    The smallest football league in the world is the Isle of Scilly Football League, which has two clubs.
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    The smallest football league in the world is the Isle of Scilly Football League, which has two clubs.
    Sounds a bit silly.
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    That is brilliant!  They play each other 17 times and have two cup competitions.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isles_of_Scilly_Football_League
  • Options
    "boss, did we get drawn at home in the cup?"

"no...but yes"
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited August 2020
    Stig said:
    Scoham said:
    That is brilliant!  They play each other 17 times and have two cup competitions.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isles_of_Scilly_Football_League
    I liked this bit

Concerns

The Isles of Scilly are struggling to hold on to their young people. There is no sixth form on the Isles so when youngsters turn 16, they go to the mainland. In addition, house prices are expensive, so they tend not to return until much older. As a result, the number of players in the league is dwindling. In 2008 Howard Cole, a secretary who referees the games, estimated the average age of both teams to be within the mid- to late-30s.

• Options

All the way back to when they were formed, in 985 AD.

• Options
    Kazuyoshi Miura, who is still playing top flight football in Japan, made his debut:

- 11 years before Maradona retired.
    - While Alex Ferguson was managing Aberdeen
    - While Ofafemi Martins was (allegedly) a 1 year old.
  • Options
    Finland have a player called Daniel O'Shaughnessy
  • Options
    Saw that on bet365 tonight. Very confused as I thought he must have been a confused Welsh man
  • Options
    dmjn said:
    Saw that on bet365 tonight. Very confused as I thought he must have been a confused Welsh man
    That’s an Irish surname. Checking Wikipedia his dad is Irish and his mum Finnish.
  • Options
    The first televised FA Cup match (other than the final) was a 5th round tie between Charlton and Blackburn in 1947. We won 1-0. 
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    dmjn said:
    That’s an Irish surname. Checking Wikipedia his dad is Irish and his mum Finnish.
    Denmark have a player called Thomas Delaney.
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    dmjn said:
    Danepak said:
    Scoham said:
    dmjn said:
    Denmark have a player called Thomas Delaney.
    The Irish get everywhere. ☘️