Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Football facts that don't sound true (but are)

Comments

• Options
    Argentina have won more matches in the past 23 days than Charlton have won all season.
    Ah but are they in the 1/4 of the carabao cup?
  • Options
    Gillingham are bottom of the League 2 having conceded 24 goals in 20 games. That, in itself, isn't the reason for their position especially when one considers that Mansfield. in 5th place, have let in 3 more goals at 27.

The problem is that Gillingham have scored 6 (SIX) goals all season. We moan about our lack of fire power but we have 31 goals by comparison.
    I hadn't realised that Gillingham are in the last 16 of the EFL - they've hardly been prolific there either in scoring three goals in their three games to date (albeit infinitely better than they have been in the League) and have won two of those matches on penalties
    Charlton win another penalty shootout. 
    Indeed, making it three times in the four rounds but, when you've only scored three and conceded just two in the competition, that is always likely to be the method of deciding the result. 
  • Options
    Gillingham are bottom of the League 2 having conceded 24 goals in 20 games. That, in itself, isn't the reason for their position especially when one considers that Mansfield. in 5th place, have let in 3 more goals at 27.

The problem is that Gillingham have scored 6 (SIX) goals all season. We moan about our lack of fire power but we have 31 goals by comparison.
    I hadn't realised that Gillingham are in the last 16 of the EFL - they've hardly been prolific there either in scoring three goals in their three games to date (albeit infinitely better than they have been in the League) and have won two of those matches on penalties
    Charlton win another penalty shootout. 
    Indeed, making it three times in the four rounds but, when you've only scored three and conceded just two in the competition, that is always likely to be the method of deciding the result. 
    Sometimes it feels like I’m talking to myself. 
  • Options
    There's a lad playing for Man City tonight, Rico Lewis, with a squad number of 82.
  • Options

Couldn't quite believe how poor they were so had to look it up. 

They haven't scored a league goal since 22 October.
    Failed to score in 15 out of 21 games.
    Only 4 players have scored for them.
    Scored only 2 second half goals all season.
  • Options
    And the manager hasn't been shown the door!!!!
  • Options

Couldn't quite believe how poor they were so had to look it up. 

They haven't scored a league goal since 22 October.
    Failed to score in 15 out of 21 games.
    Only 4 players have scored for them.
    Scored only 2 second half goals all season.
    Joint top League scorers have 2
  • Options
    In Chelsea's last 42 League games, their two best full/wing backs, James and Chilwell, have started together just twice - a 1-0 win at Everton and a 2-1 win at Crystal Palace.
  • Options
    In Chelsea's last 42 League games, their two best full/wing backs, James and Chilwell, have started together just twice - a 1-0 win at Everton and a 2-1 win at Crystal Palace.
    Second best team in Fulham at the moment.
  • Options
    Charlton have won 10 out of their last 11 games. 

At Fratton Park. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    40% of Portsmouths leagues losses so far this season have been against Charlton
    and two ninths of their goals conceded have been against the free scoring Addicks .

• Options
    The last 4 US presidents have very little in common, but one thing that unites them is that Darren Ferguson has been appointed as the new Peterborough manager during all 4 presidencies.

• Options
    Update - With just 7 League goals at exactly the halfway stage, Gillingham are well on course to set an unwelcome all time record. The previous lowest number of goals in a season was 18 as set by Loughborough in 1899-1900.  
  • Options
    You just know they will spank a top 6 side 4-0 soon
  • Options
    Shrewsbury have had four red cards this season... Only one of them hasn't been overturned.
  • Options
    Shane Long had scored a goal every year since 2005.
  • Options
    Real Madrid named a starting XI without a Spaniard in it for the first time in their history, spanning 4435 matches. 
  • Options
    sam3110 said:
    Real Madrid named a starting XI without a Spaniard in it for the first time in their history, spanning 4435 matches. 
    That one really did surprise me as they've not had many decent Spaniards over the last couple of years. I guess the RB kept them in it as the 3/4 been used there have been Spanish but they've only really got Carvajal and Asensio who play. Unless they sign one I can see this becoming a bit more frequent. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    sam3110 said:
    Do Athletic Bilbao still only field Basques?
  • Options
    sam3110 said:
    Do Athletic Bilbao still only field Basques?
    Yes
  • Options
    Great article, that, @North Lower Neil. Thanks for posting. 
  • Options
    Can I stretch things and substitute Cricket for Football in the heading just one time.

After the rain soaked third test between Australia and South Africa at the SCG petered out to a draw with South Africa following on (having lost the first two tests) it was established that -

Over the last 100 years more days have been lost to rain at the Sydney Cricket Ground than at Old Trafford, Manchester, England.
  • Options
    How many tests at each venue though ? 
  • Options
    Thanks for plunging me into that research MrOneLung😄

The first test at the SCG was in 1882 when Australia beat England by 5 wickets.  Since then there have been 110 more tests including the one just completed.

The first test at Old Trafford was drawn against Australia in 1884.  Since then there have been another 84 tests which makes the earlier statement about rain days less dramatic.  Sounded good on the radio though.

Back to the football I think.
  • Options
    Gianluigi Buffon is playing for Parma tonight so it is still that case that, between them, Stanley Matthews, Peter Shilton & Buffon have made at least one appearance in every season from 1931-32 on.
    Buffon played for Parma yesterday (aged 44!!), so the above stat is still true
  • Options
    Saw this about Buffon this morning:

Is it just me, or is that a completely normal save, and Dzeko is applauding his winger?
  • Options
    Also, he made his debut before Wollacott and Maynard-Brewer were even born.