Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Football facts that don't sound true (but are)

Comments

• Options
    Roy Hodgson has won more premier league games this season than Frank Lampard.
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    With one round of matches to go in League 1, should Plymouth, Ipswich and Sheffield Wednesday win their respective final matches the table will look like this:

Plymouth 101 points
    Ipswich 100 points
    Sheffield Wednesday 96 points

I don't know the answer to this but has any team ever failed to win a Football League Division with 100 points? Equally, has a team ever failed to gain automatic promotion with 96 points?
  • Options
    Wednesday came second with 93 and United third with 90 one year... 
  • Options
    With one round of matches to go in League 1, should Plymouth, Ipswich and Sheffield Wednesday win their final match the table will look like this:

Plymouth 101 points
    Ipswich 100 points

I don't know the answer to this but has any team ever failed to win a Football League Division with 100 points? Equally, has a team ever failed to gain automatic promotion with 96 points?
    Perhaps we can win next season with 60 points as everyone else could be as bad as us 😂
  • Options
    With one round of matches to go in League 1, should Plymouth, Ipswich and Sheffield Wednesday win their respective final matches the table will look like this:

Plymouth 101 points
    Ipswich 100 points

Finished:

Plymouth - 101
    Ipswich - 98
    Wednesday - 96

Still astonishing that Ipswich didn't win with that points tally (especially as they only lost 4 games all season and had a GD of 66 compared to Plymouth's 35) but, even more so, Wednesday not gaining automatic promotion with 96 points. 
  • Options
    No team in League 1 had more goals in their matches than CAFC. We've gone from 113 goals (54-59) last season to 136 goals (70-66) this season. Our goal tally of 70 is also only 3 less than when we finished 3rd in 2018-19.
  • Options
    Everton have scored more league goals under Dyche than they did under Lampard this season.
  • Options
    Ronaldo (the Brazilian one) only ever won one league title, and never won the Champions League.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Everton have scored more league goals under Dyche than they did under Lampard this season.
    I make it that this season, Everton and Chelsea combined have scored just 23 goals in the 30 matches Lampard has been in charge. 
  • Options
    In the English & Scottish leagues, there are 134 teams, 133 of them have conceded a penalty this season.
  • Options
    Brackley Town have finished in the National League North Play-Offs for the past seven years.

They've failed to win promotion every time.
  • Options
    Charlton now don't have a single player in our men's squad who has played 100 first-team games for the club. George Dobson now leads the way on 83... 
  • Options
    If Man City win the Champions League then Scott Carson will join Maldini and Costacurta with the longest gap between first and last European Cup (18-years)
  • Options
    If Man City win the Champions League then Scott Carson will join Maldini and Costacurta with the longest gap between first and last European Cup (18-years)
    Laughed when i saw him celebrating on the pitch last night. The worlds highest paid cheerleader.
  • Options
    He can do a David May (who didn't play a single minute in the CL in 98/99):

• Options
    Vetokele played more games for Charlton in the 2019 promotion season than Purrington or Jonny Williams.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    And on the subject of City strikers and Chelsea, Haaland has the same amount of goals in the league this season as Chelsea.
  • Options
    Assuming that he plays in Man United's final three games of the season and Portugal's two Euro Qualifiers in June, Bruno Fernandes will have made 214 appearances for club and country in the three previous years - and started the vast majority of them too. 
  • Options
    Spurs have scored and conceded 60+ goals this season. 

That’s only the second time this has happened since the Premier League dropped to 38 games a season. 

The only other side to do it…..Spurs in 2007/2008. 
  • Options
    Jake Livermore got 7 caps for England.

Saw it on an article about players released this summer.  Had forgotten he existed let alone played that many internationals.
  • Options
    Jake Livermore got 7 caps for England.

Saw it on an article about players released this summer.  Had forgotten he existed let alone played that many internationals.
    He was very nearly in the 2018 world cup squad.
  • Options
    Vetokele played more games for Charlton in the 2019 promotion season than Purrington or Jonny Williams.
    Purrington and Williams both joined in January.
  • Options
    Indeed, I just tend to think of those that played in the playoffs as people who played a lot that season.

And Vetokele as someone from a few years before, forgetting the start of that season when he came back.

So it looked off when I saw it.

• Options
    Indeed, I just tend to think of those that played in the playoffs as people who played a lot that season.

And Vetokele as someone from a few years before, forgetting the start of that season when he came back.

So it looked off when I saw it.

It's funny how the "big games" effect how you remember things.

Name Powell's title winning team and 9/10 people will rattle off the same 11 yet they played about a dozen games together.  Curbs first promotion was the result of a long term slow build?  7 of the 11 hadn't played for us before that season.  Similar for 18/19.