Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Football facts that don't sound true (but are)

Comments

• Options
    Yeovil beat Brentford in a play off final a decade ago. 
  • Options
    Brentford are going to do the double over city. 
  • Options
    40% of Liverpool's Premier league goals this season were scored in just 5 games.
  • Options
    Tom Huddlestone is a Manchester United player.

Had no idea.
  • Options

Had no idea.
    Increasingly popular idea.  Another reason why we should play our "senior pros" more often in the u21s.
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:

Had no idea.
    Increasingly popular idea.  Another reason why we should play our "senior pros" more often in the u21s.
    Indeed, I think Huddlestone took over from Paul McShane. Spearing at Liverpool and I think a few others have followed suit. I actually thought we were going to do it with Jason Pearce last season. 

Under new management, we simply have to utilise our u21/u23 games better. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Cafc43v3r said:

Had no idea.
    Indeed, I think Huddlestone took over from Paul McShane. Spearing at Liverpool and I think a few others have followed suit. I actually thought we were going to do it with Jason Pearce last season. 

I think Brighton were the first to specifically do it on England.  Crofts did it for them but I don't think he was the first one they had either.
  • Options
    This is the first time since 1978 where there are currently no Maldini's @ AC Milan, what with Paolo having left his role.

Daniel Maldini (His Son) will be back there in the Summer, but he's currently on loan @ Spezia
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

Had no idea.

I think Brighton were the first to specifically do it on England.  Crofts did it for them but I don't think he was the first one they had either.
    Ah yes I remember Crofts being the first, I do think he was the original and then Dicker replaced him. I believe it’s an idea unsurprisingly founded in the bundesliga 
  • Options
    12 league 1 teams had a higher average away attendance than any team in France last season.
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    You lost it when you said Scotland have a top 50 league. 
  • Options
    Howard Kendall and Bryan Ferry played in the same U13 football team

• Options
    Saw one today - there's been 10 domestic cup, domestic league, European Cup/Champions League trebles by European clubs, by 8 different teams.

Can you name them?  One surprised me, I wouldn't have guessed it (so doesn't sound true, but is!).
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Is the surprise one maybe Steaua Bucharest?
  • Options
    iaitch said:
    Is the surprise one maybe Steaua Bucharest?
    Good guess but no.
  • Options
    Saw one today - there's been 10 domestic cup, domestic league, European Cup/Champions League trebles by European clubs, by 8 different teams.

Can you name them?  One surprised me, I wouldn't have guessed it (so doesn't sound true, but is!).
    The obvious are Man City, Man U, Barcelona, Inter, Bayern, Ajax and Celtic.

Can't remember who the other was but i think i read it was in the 80s.
  • Options
    Surely Real Madrid must have done it?
  • Options

All spot on.

Bonus fact on the last team - they only won 3 matches in the European Cup the year they won it (out of 9 games), and didn't win a game inside normal or extra time after the second round.
  • Options
    Red Star Belgrade?
  • Options

All spot on.

Bonus fact on the last team - they only won 3 matches in the European Cup the year they won it (out of 9 games), and didn't win a game inside normal or extra time after the second round.
    Steau Bucharest in '86 could fit that description 
  • Options
    Sure I read the other day that Man City’s win makes England the 2nd country to have two clubs that have done it, the other was Netherlands if I remember correctly.

so I’d guess PSV.?
  • Options
    iaitch said:
    Red Star Belgrade?
    No.
  • Options
    Sure I read the other day that Man City’s win makes England the 2nd country to have two clubs that have done it, the other was Netherlands if I remember correctly.

so I’d guess PSV.?
    Yes!!  Great guess.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1987–88_European_Cup