Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Football facts that don't sound true (but are)

Comments

• Options
    Surely the club with the biggest roller coaster of a ride in recent history has to be Luton Town.  From the top tier in 1991/92 to Conference in 2013/14 to, potentially, back to the top tier in 2023/24.
    There's a guy there, Pelly Ruddock Mpanzu, who if they go up could be the first guy to play in every league down to the National League for the same club.

Mpanzu's opening games in each of the last 11 seasons for Luton, the Division they were in and the number of League appearances in each year:

13/14 - Alfreton (Conference) - 21
    14/15 - AFC Wimbledon (League 2) - 16
    15/16 - Accrington (League 2) - 21
    16/17 - Plymouth (League 2) - 42
    17/18 - Yeovil (League 2) - 28
    18/19 - Portsmouth (League 1) - 46
    19/20 - Middlesbrough (Championship) - 44
    20/21 - Barnsley (Championship) - 44
    21/22 - Peterborough (Championship) - 34
    22/23 - Hull (Championship) - 30
    23/24 - Brighton (Premier League) - 1

An amazing story especially when one considers that the most number of League games played for us currently is Dobson with 86 and we've been in the same division for all bar one of the last eight seasons!
  • Options
    Alfie May scored at least 20 league One goals in each of the last 2 seasons 😉
  • Options
    Alfie May scored at least 20 league One goals in each of the last 2 seasons 😉
    Something no Charlton footballer has done for 50 years
  • Options
    Gillingham are top of League 2 with 12 points from four matches, having scored the same number of average goals per game as pointless bottom placed Colchester - one 
  • Options
    Goals win matches, defences win titles and all that.
  • Options
    Ange Postecoglou used to play under Ferenc Puskas, and drove him to training.
  • Options
    Wrexham's 5-5 yesterday reminded me of this one:

Alex Ferguson managed Manchester United for 1,500 games and only had one 5-5 draw - his last game.
  • Options
    Mitoma wrote a thesis on information processing of the attacking side and dribbling in 1v1 situations. This is a translation of that:

• Options
    Brandon Williams is on £65k a week.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I had to Google Brandon Williams!!
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Exactly.
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Exactly.
    Once I had I knew who he was but without context 
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Exactly.
    Just shows how mad football money has got when having about 10 half decent games filling in for Luke Shaw was worth giving him a contract worth about £13m.

Fair play to him, mind.
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Exactly.
    Just shows how mad football money has got when having about 10 half decent games filling in for Luke Young was worth giving him a contract worth about £13m.

Fair play to him, mind.
    Luke Shaw?
  • Options
    Oops sorry yeah!  Was going to put Luke Shaw and Ashley Young and apparently combined the two!!
  • Options
    Mitoma wrote a thesis on information processing of the attacking side and dribbling in 1v1 situations. This is a translation of that:

So the skilled players were better than the semi skilled players.

Cheers.
  • Options
    I assume that was his point?!
  • Options
    JaShea99 said:
    I assume that was his point?!
    That how easy thesis is now? 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    This will be the first season since 1958-59 when Liverpool do not pick anyone who either had played for them with or under Kenny Dalglish or would go on to play for them under Dalglish.
    Great stat this one. Must have been Ian Callaghan for the early 1958-59 I presume. 
    I think so.

Now De Gea has left United it's the first time they won't have one that played under fergie since the early 70s as well.  I think it will only be the 3rd season since the 30s that they won't have someone that played for SAF or Matt Busby.
    Unless they sign Evans permanently (maybe to mainly play with the u21s like Huddlestone?).
    Jonny Evans re-signs.
  • Options
    Sunderland defeated unbeaten Southampton on Saturday 5-0 in the Championship. Sunderland's average age of the 15 players utlised was 22 of which 12 were 23 or younger and no less than nine were aged between 16 and 21. 
  • Options
    Palace should win more trophies than Bayern or Real do...

• Options
    France... Portugal... Scotland 

The only three teams with 100% win records in Euro 2024 Qualification 
  • Options
    Hansi Flick has become the first Germany boss to be sacked since the role was created in 1926.

#BBCFootball
  • Options
    edited September 2023
    not sure if this one counts... but...

The Buxton V Scunthorpe game on Saturday got abandoned in the 96th minute due to a waterlogged pitch. 2-1 to Buxton with 6 minutes of injury time to play.

The final decision made in the referrees match report? replay the whole match.

There is mitigating factors (red card for Buxton for example) 

But at the time the ref whistled three times and pointed to the player tunnel signalling the end of the game at the time when the fans were in the stadium (i'm not sure the official "calling off" signal) 

in the laws of the game its the correct call for a full replay but is it right? 

edit - the red card for Buxton still stands and the player will serve a suspension according to the laws of the game as well, despite the game being called off and all other stats of the game being expunged. (not sure on the yellows if any?)
  • Options
    San Marino U21 team last scored a goal in Nov 2017, 30 games since.